• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Knights of The Old Republic Remake is Dead

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Someone is happy today to have destroyed what they hated

images

Damage must have been deep in that studio if the hiring process managed to grab that person to write the story.
She has not been with them since over 2 years ago. She lasted like 3 months or so before getting gone, old news.

Well, that's lunatic, unhinged behavior. It's also so against the team dynamic that everybody is trying to foster. Even the most SJW California company doesn't want crazy people in their office. Also - it "came to light" because she talked about it on twitter. She was proud of it!

Yeah, she's unhinged for sure. She's a victim of her own mentality. She derailed her livelihood over nothing and those who cosigned her delusional have also derailed their careers. The industry is better off without them though, so they actually did everyone a favor.

blacktout

Not if it can't make it to market. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I think KOTOR is just a rather large game, and if you're trying to make that with modernized assets and gameplay, it's a massive project. The better approach would've been to test the waters with a QOL update for the original, check the sales data, and go from there.

Absolutely. So many developers and publishers today are making this mistake. We see all of these overambitious projects get greenlit purely on the basis of the perceived value of the IP and wishful thinking about profit potential, only to end up in development hell or cancelled outright, often taking the studio with them.

You see the same mentality at work on a mass scale at companies like Embracer and WB (Hogwarts aside) or in the many bungled GaaS initiatives throughout the industry. And no one seems to learn from anyone else's mistakes.

Gojiira

I mean it was ‘Indefinitely delayed’ months ago…
All this ‘Sony should have’ rhetoric is nonsense though, they were funding it sure but ultimately Embracer was in charge of Developing and they chose the shitty devs…It SHOULD have been in-house but that isn’t and likely never was a possibility.
And to the dumbasses who said Xbox should have nabbed it, LMFAO, yes so they can cancel it at 90% complete like Scalebound, or release as shite as Redfall 😂

CamHostage

To be fair, it’s probably the best version of the game. At least cleanest looking even counting mods on PC side. It’s a shame Kotor 2 Mod DLC never happened.

Most of the Aspyr ports have been "fine", right?

I never had faith in them pulling off a full-scale KOTOR Remake (the only game I can think of that they actually made in-house was Torn, otherwise they mostly have made Mac ports and published some indies before,) but them somehow getting access to the LucasArts vaults to bring back classic Star Wars 3D games was kind of a nice surprise series. Ports were competent, remaster modifications were light and appropriate, KOTOR 2 had a fatal bug (and also they had that "Restoration Content DLC" snafu) but that got patched, and aside from the issues brought up, the job done seemed fine enough for a re-release (especially for games never available to players outside of the platform market that they first came out on.)

They did re-releases on various consoles (all on Switch in Heritage Pack, some on PS4, a few on Xbox but Xbox already has BC copies) and sometimes PC of Republic Commando, SW Racer, Jedi Knight 1&2, KOTOR 1&2, and SW Force Unleashed (Wii version, but secretly best version, albeit everybody wanted the HD game). All of those turned out to fairly acceptable feedback from what I saw. Fans are still petitioning them to get other stuff like Shadows of the Empire or Battlefront Classic or Starfighter or the white whale of the Rogue Squadron games. (I'd much rather Aspyr put more effort into getting more of that stuff remastered and repackaged than attempting to make a bona fide remake of anything... ideally Embracer doesn't pull Aspyr down with the ship while some more of the old stuff is maybe on their docket.)

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Most of the Aspyr ports have been "fine", right? I never had faith in them pulling off a full-scale KOTOR Remake (the only game I can think of that they actually made in-house was Torn, otherwise they mostly have made Mac ports and published some indies before,) but them somehow getting access to the LucasArts vaults to bring back classic Star Wars 3D games was kind of a nice surprise series.

They did re-releases on various consoles (all on Switch in Heritage Pack, some on PS4, a few on Xbox but Xbox already has BC copies) and sometimes PC of Republic Commando, SW Racer, Jedi Knight 1&2, KOTOR 1&2, and SW Force Unleashed (Wii version, but secretly best version, albeit everybody wanted the HD game). All of those turned out to fairly acceptable feedback from what I saw. Fans are still petitioning them to get other stuff like Shadows of the Empire or Battlefront Classic or Starfighter or the white whale of the Rogue Squadron games. (I'd much rather Aspyr put more effort into getting more of that stuff remastered and repackaged than attempting to make a bona fide remake of anything... ideally Embracer doesn't pull Aspyr down with the ship while some more of the old stuff is maybe on their docket.)
Yeah, biggest issue was them promising the fan mod as DLC for Kotor 2 which they dropped. Otherwise they have been alright.

Krathoon

Here is the community patch for KOTOR1.

The annoying thing about the patch is that there is nothing showing that it is installed. I am sure I installed it.

Madflavor

I think this is good news. We knew that this remake wasn't being handled with the love, care and passion it should've received. Giving a large scale remake of a legendary game to an inexperienced and unimpressive developer was a huge red flag, it had Sam Maggs working on it for a period of time, and there was silence on the project since it's announcement in mid 2021. It's better we get nothing at all, then a shitty remake that would've pissed fans off.

That said, obviously I would love a KotoR Remake, but only if done right. So until the day comes where a respectable developer is given the reigns, let it burn. It probably barely would've been an RPG anyway.

Krathoon

Fuck i wanted to finally play this game. What is the best way to play it today?
Just get it on gog and apply the community patch.

May as well get KOTOR2 and use the restoration mod.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The annoying thing about the original KOTOR is that it shrinks menus when you crank up the resolution so you might as well run it in 1024x768 or 800x600.

There is probably a mod that fixes it.

I mean the originals are playable on Xbox and Switch (and PC of course), though I heard Aspyr kinda botched the Switch versions. At this point whoever controls the IP should get a more competent team to port the original games to PS4/5 and then see if sales can justify work on an actual sequel instead of remakes.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Heavy Metal FAKK2 is another game that does not scale menus when you change resolutions.

Your might as well run it in 800x600.

This was a problem on old PC games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Good. Was worried a remake would ruin the original cast of characters. Bastila Shan is one of my favorite Star Wars characters and I'd hate it if they changed Mission Vao in any way.

RAIDEN1

Seems to be remakes are all the rage increasingly, you had Dead-Space, Call of Duty, this, Super Mario RPG, a rehash of F-Zero from 1991 etc, etc...

Barakov

Gold Member
kotor-remake.jpg

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is dead. At least, that’s what Giant Bomb’s Jeff Grubb had to say on Friday morning during his Game Mess Mornings show.

Grubb said around the 57-minute mark.

Originally announced back in 2021, the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake has been through development turmoil from the start.

It was first in development by Aspyr Media before Embracer Group shifted the game over to Saber Interactive in August 2022.
PJInxFh.gif

This is fantastic news. If they don't remake it, they can't fuck it up.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo no kotor 2 dlc and no kotor remake fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Larxia

kotr is a good game but the combat is old.
I agree. I played it for the first time 2 or 3 years ago and I found the combats absolutely terrible, I think it might even be the worst combat system I ever played, incredibly boring. You pratically don't do anything at all, just watch and wait.
Everything is handled by the computer throwing dices in the background, you don't see anything of what's happening and you just wait.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 is a much better version of a dnd combat system in a video game and would work better.

Top Bottom