• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 30FPS still the future on consoles?

It depends on the genre for me. I had no issues with the likes of Callisto Protocol, A plague tale going all out for graphics.
For a 1st Person shooter or a driving game mind, I rather 60 FPS

All for nothing mind if a game is crap, which seems a overlooked point

Aion002

The Ps5 "pro" and the Xbox series "xl" will save the day....

Praying The Office GIF

PaintTinJr

I think the ability to use 30fps as the standard fallback frame-rate is being opposed by increasing resolution on ever larger default TV sizes. In past generations 720/30 on 40" TVs seem completely manageable for a good game experience but since the start of the PS4 gen, 30fps on 50-70" TVs just feels so slow and uncomfortable when the full screen view moves more than 30-40 degrees at a time. DeS on PS5 felt unplayable in quality mode for me, the same for Forbidden West because they were 30fps and felt like there was too much lag, to.

Nintendo's lower resolutions and shorter animations just about cut it at 30fps, but given the choice between 30 and 60 in games, on a 65" I'll always pick the 60fps option, which feels closer to an old 30fps now when large amounts of the visual real estate are all replaced in a short time.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Also I noticed people ultimately don't care about Zelda being 30FPS because it's looking like another great game whereas Redfall has had more going against it like always online, bad showings, etc

I think when it comes to handhelds most folks understand the limitations of the hardware when they buy it. It isn't that no one cares about Zelda being 30 fps. It is simply a matter of understanding why that is and the fact that there are no other options than Switch. If someone is really THAT hung up on 30 fps then don't buy a handheld. I think it is perfectly fine to have higher expectations for modern consoles.

Jadsey

Playing 60fps has ruined me...I honestly wish I could unsee it!

I tried Plague Tale Requiem and it just felt awful. I recently tried Ryse, seemed like a great game but literally felt unplayable. Redfall being 30fps is a problem for me.

I sold my Switch recently for the same reason, it just looks like ass on my 4k TV.

I wish I could go back three years and untrain my brain!

Last edited:

nikolino840

Is not about visual nor hardware...need someone making a documentary about when/why/how to develope games,a deep deep dive documentary about how to code and test resolution and frame locking

Hugare

The problem with Redfall is that it looks mediocre, so 30 FPS is a tough pill to swallow.

Make a game that looks like the Matrix Awakens demo and you will see way less people complaining about it being 30 FPS

I dont care at all about 30 if its fluid. Been playing path traced Cyberpunk for the past few days at 30 (sometimes less), but its totally justified.

With Nvidia Reflex + Boost controls are responsive enough.

I guess since the visible gains for going with 30fps are less and less obvious with current fauxK/4K, going for 60 fps might actually be the reasonable choice going forward. If you barely can't see and show the advantage, supplying the people with the extra smoothness might be more important. Critics of only 30 fps might outnumber people complaining about bad visuals. Visuals that would not really be better with an optional quality or with only one mode.

MikeM

Yes. No doubt about it.

Be smart and dont let yourself get too used to 60 or more.
I’d like to see progress made to ensure 60fps becomes standard in a world of 120fps TVs.
With this generation I'm avoiding any game that doesn't have a 60fps mode. 40fps feels like garbage in comparison too, so I don't consider it a viable alternative.
The only 30fps game I'll give a pass to is Tears of the Kingdom, and that's because I'm biased because of how much I enjoyed BotW, but even that's a gamble since I don't know if I'll hate the experience.
Same man. I built a high end pc just in case. Im so done with 30fps.

yamaci17

Nonsense. Like saying Jaguar CPU². Both PS5 and XSX CPU's are perfectly capable of running games in 60fps.
this has nothing to do with a console having jaguar, zen 2 or zen 4

if a dev wants to cut corners so that their renderer can only produce CPU bound framerates at 30-35 and that gives them huge margins and saves quite a bit of money, they will do it. you cannot brute force cutting corners with a cheapskate zen 2 CPU. you cannot even brute force bad optimization with a 13900k+ddr5. it is why nvidia invested into frame generation, even they are aware that cpu bound optimizations are going to get very sour very quickly

on the other end of the spectrum, even targeting 30 fps was a huge hurdle on jaguar, to a point it probably required a huge amount of investment/money into it. now it is reverse.

there is no definitive thing such as being "capable" of running at 60 fps. there were devs that managed to push 60 fps even on those jaguar cores.. if you optimize enough, you can push seemingly miracle stuff out of limited hardware. if you slack enough, you can bring down a zen 4 cpu to its knees at 40 fps cpu bound framerates. it happens.

no CPU guarantees anything.

targeting 30-40 FPS CPU bound avg. framerate also gives the benefit of pushing higher res + higher rasterization settings. from their perspective, its a win win situation. from our perspetive, its a win lose situation (you lose the ability to get 60 fps even if you render the game at 360p, but at least you get a properly clean and sharp presentation at 4k with 30 fps)

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Is not about visual nor hardware...need someone making a documentary about when/why/how to develope games,a deep deep dive documentary about how to code and test resolution and frame locking
Well we know graphics is what needs the most speed. That eats into the time for each frame

Liamario

Banned
TOTK is 30fps because the switch has the processing power of a modern calculator (don't @ me).
Graphics have never made a game better when it comes to gameplay. Games are about gameplay.
Higher frame rate is always preferred. "The game doesn't need it!" But it still makes the gameplay experience better. Even if only for image quality, higher frame rate is still more effective at a lower resolution than higher resolution at 30fps.

Guilty_AI

Not on PSVR2. Frame-rates are one of the least talked about VR benefits.
Saying that, most, if not all of my favourite non-Vr games, have a 60fps mode.
Its not a benefit, its a necessity. Low frame rate on VR games makes general user experience terrible, downright unplayable in many cases as it can induce nausea, vertigo, dizziness, etc.

Zug

I think that Bloodborne is the best Souls game, yet I could never finish it because of the 30fps induced headaches.
Also on PC, most people would gladly lower resolution/settings rather than play at 30fps.
How can console players tolerate such mediocrity, I'll never understand, though things are changing I believe.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
no because as everybody seems to miss 60fps is getting patched in. yeah massively disappointing 30fps on launch but it will have 60fps to

8BiTw0LF

Banned
no CPU guarantees anything.
But wouldn't you agree there were only two bottlenecks in last gen? CPU and HDD?

Those bottlenecks are gone, so 60fps are way easier to achieve now than back then.

Spider-Man 2 will be the game which proves the 30fps crowd wrong and make the PC guys (and Digital Foundry) scratch their heads, on how a $400 box can achieve graphics and frames at such high level.

T4keD0wN

With how UE5 is becoming popular, itll likely become the standard.
Zen2 wont also be enough for the whole generation (~7years) since it isnt enough for 60 in some games already.

It doesnt mean youll be stuck at 30fps eventually, especially if you have a VRR screen. If AMD manages to figure out frame generation youll likely have more options with the next console generation.

Last edited:
This gen a very few games are 30fps only. The norm is currently 60fps on consoles. There are actually more 120fps games than 30fps only games.

30fps only games have a tendency to commercially fail and the best selling games on consoles are ALL >60fps. So yes the future is >60fps on consoles.

I am talking home consoles here, handheld nostalgia gaming is another thing.

Last edited:

yamaci17

But wouldn't you agree there were only two bottlenecks in last gen? CPU and HDD?

Those bottlenecks are gone, so 60fps are way easier to achieve now than back then.

Spider-Man 2 will be the game which proves the 30fps crowd wrong and make the PC guys (and Digital Foundry) scratch their heads, on how a $400 box can achieve graphics and frames at such high level.

as I said, any dev can make anything a bottleneck. spiderman2 proves nothing as the base work for hitting 30 fps on jaguar cores will still carry over the second game, despite not being released on PS4

its not being able to do ; it is about choosing not to do.

Last edited:

SNG32

If they are trying to make AAA titles like the matrix demo then hell yes it will be 30 fps. I’m willing to bet gta 6 will probably run at 30 fps for ps5 and series x.

Topher

Gold Member
"30 fps is unplayable" is the dictionary definition of a first-world problem.

Anything relating to video games is the dictionary definition of a first-world problem. This isn't a forum for discussing worldly problems though.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Well we know graphics is what needs the most speed. That eats into the time for each frame
Redfall is not the first nor the last for the 60fps patch...what about tchia? What i want to know is "how and who decide what"

is a c++/python code? A drop-down menu in the engine? Why not put all the output from the start?

Rykan

The fact is that offering a 60 FPS mode has become the standard and is now an expectation, a reasonable one at that.

Almost every game released this console generation has had 60 FPS modes, including both cross-gen and current-gen only games. Even old games are being updated to run at 60 FPS. If you look at the most played games right now, all of them are running at 60 FPS.

There may be some games that still run at 30 FPS, but these are exceptions to the rule and will continue to be so. You can't train your audience to expect a 60 FPS mode in all your games and then suddenly remove it.

Hunnybun

I can't take seriously anyone that says 30 fps is "unplayable".
It's fine. It looks good. Quit your bitching.
Have you tried complaining about real issues instead of meaningless crap like this?

30fps doesn't look good at all. It looks shit. I can never understand why people who claim to really care about graphics don't seem to notice they're playing a slideshow that's impossible to properly focus on as soon as things start moving.

It makes sense to make the change now because there's such sharply diminishing returns for frames above 60 compared to basically all other graphical improvements. Once the transition is made you can basically stay there forever, and all subsequent improvements can focus purely on fidelity. That seems way better than continuously kicking the can down the road and always be stuck with seriously compromised experiences at 30fps. Solve it now and it's done forever.

damidu

"30 fps is unplayable" is the dictionary definition of a first-world problem.
lol people have 10+ pages long threads here about 5 fps / 100 pixel differences between platforms on any given game.

and you decided to get butthurt about an issue that has an actual detrimental effect on gameplay for “some” reason

brian0057

Banned
and you decided to get butthurt about an issue that has an actual detrimental effect on gameplay for “some” reason
Pro gamers have managed to convince people that anything under 60 is unplayable (it's not). Yeah, I'm sure that 5 fps variance means life or death in CS:GO.
The other 95% of humanity will be fine with less.
Competitive gaming has been a detriment to the industry.

no because as everybody seems to miss 60fps is getting patched in. yeah massively disappointing 30fps on launch but it will have 60fps to
Halo will also get Coop mode or something?

I would never fully trust anything a company promises but has not actually ready.
They probably worked on it, did not manage to make it run in the given time and postponed it, focus currently on other stuff for release. After the first wave of sales and downloads, how important will it be to get back to it and actually finish what you were not able to do in the first run? Especially if it potentially does not meet expectations?
If someone actually wants a 60fps mode and cares about they should not bother buying or downloading before it has that mode.
Sales should not be boosted by promises.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Halo will also get Coop mode or something?

I would never fully trust anything a company promises but has not actually ready.
They probably worked on it, did not manage to make it run in the given time and postponed it, focus currently on other stuff for release. After the first wave of sales and downloads, how important will it be to get back to it and actually finish what you were not able to do in the first run? Especially if it potentially does not meet expectations?
If someone actually wants a 60fps mode and cares about they should not bother buying or downloading before it has that mode.
Sales should not be boosted by promises.

no if you want 60fps you should wait and yes I will be waiting. lets see how it goes before you say it dose not meet your expectations, they could patch it after a week or even a month. who knows

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Options with the priority on the better graphics aka 30fps will be normal And the reason is simple. Casuals don't know about 30 or 60 fps, but they can see beautiful graphics.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yup haven't all UE5 demos been 30 FPS?

Hopefully pro consoles can take that level of engine to 60 fps

All UE5 demos have been designed to demonstrate fidelity, hasn't it? Does that mean UE5 cannot be scaled back in actual games for performance?

Yoboman

All UE5 demos have been designed to demonstrate fidelity, hasn't it? Does that mean UE5 cannot be scaled back in actual games for performance?
Of course eg Fortnite. But there will be games trying to push the full features as much as possible

Top Bottom