• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG247] I’m excited to play Starfield, but that 30fps news took the wind out of my sails

Phase

It’s not worth it at any price if you have the money. I have the money and pc and there are still many reasons to play on console.
It’s not just “got money then play on pc”. It’s ridiculous
Not seeing an argument here, just you telling me it's not worth it. I can see creature comforts like couch, tv, controller, but beyond that PC does everything better (and you can play on your tv, couch, with a controller on PC too). If you're saying ease of installing games and less fuss, never having to worry about settings, pc issues etc. then that's again not even a big deal if you know anything about PC's. And now PC is getting many PS games now, just have to wait a bit.

Not seeing where it's ridiculous to think if you have the money then playing on pc is the superior choice many times over.

Kacho

I usually double dip on Todd Howard epics on both Xbox and PC, but after Fallout 4 I don’t know if I can stomach 30fps anymore. Even after the adjustment period it never looks or feels right.

Very curious to see how it truly performs on Series X. I’m not expecting a stable 30fps but it would be great if it can achieve that.

Fans of these games already know PC is the place to play them. Better performance, mods, mouse and keyboard… it’s just a better experience overall.

The game looks massive and has over 1000 planets. 30fps was the only way it would look good and function on consoles.

Last edited:

SSfox

Look i don't care about this game, nor trying to defend it or anything...

By holy shit this 30 fps talk is still going on? Move on bro if you're not happy just play other games with "60 fps"

We can fly jets and yet you only drive car to your work.
noob
And we can play games on high powered PCs, but some people choose consoles....

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Phil said something recently about Xbox console gamers being the “core” of the Xbox brand. I think it was on kinda funny podcast.

They’re getting a second fiddle product to a PC version, that’s the issue. There’s no reason to own an Xbox really. I’m not going to buy one but had every intention at the start of the generation. As the majority of posters on here say, PC really is the way forward.

Hate to break it you bud but it’s a creative design choice. They very well may target 30fps for the next generation Xbox as well regardless of how powerful it is. Some developers like to push visual boundaries.

Last edited:

Crayon

This is one of those games where the only reason I would care about 60 is that it does lessen eye fatigue after long sessions. Other than that... eh no care.

Bry0

They’re getting a second fiddle product to a PC version, that’s the issue.
I mean it really depends. If your pc is some basic office pc then that’s probably not the case. Some people would rather get a $500 game box and some would rather spend thousands on a gaming pc. 60 fps would come at cost of visuals on either platform unless you are spending nearly a grand on just the gpu. It’s different options with different trade offs. Y’all are so dramatic. MS gets your money either way, they don’t care lol.

I’m not going to argue the merits of Bethesda games here, but I have always believed the studio can’t rely on its old arguments of scale and simulation anymore, not when most major games do much of that very well, and look/run significantly better.

Assassin’s Creed, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds just to name a few. All of those games are basically Bethesda spin-offs. Open-world with light RPG mechanics, loads of dialogue, some okay mechanics (whether it’s gunplay or swordplay), a large core narrative and endless side content.

This is the biggest point where it’s clear they have no clue what they’re talking about.

Assassin’s Creed, Cyberpunk, The Witcher 3 or the Outer Worlds, being on par in simulation? Oh Pleeeeaaase. Go play Fallout 4, get a bunch of settlements, tie them all by supply lines and equip the settlers running the caravans with Fat Man missile launchers. Then just stand in the open and listen to the amount of nukes going off and tell me those games do anything on that scale of background simulation.

Honestly one of the dumbest gaming articles I’ve read outside of a blog.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

This is the biggest point where it’s clear they have no clue what they’re talking about.

Assassin’s Creed, Cyberpunk, The Witcher 3 or the Outer Worlds, being on par in simulation? Oh Pleeeeaaase. Go play Fallout 4, get a bunch of settlements, tie them all by supply lines and equip the settlers running the caravans with Fat Man missile launchers. Then just stand in the open and listen to the amount of nukes going off and tell me those games do anything on that scale of background simulation.

Honestly one of the dumbest gaming articles I’ve read outside of a blog.

Yes indeed, the emergent gameplay that can occur in Bethesda sims can be hugely exciting. I remember stumbling upon a 3 way battle in Skyrim between a group of hunters, a bear, and a dragon. It was the middle of the night and the bear was running down the hillside on fire. I thought to myself, you dont get to see that every day...

EDMIX

tbh, if you own Series X, who cares? I'd assume someone bought it to play a title like this, 30fps would be a dumb reason to avoid this game.

I don't get how anyone would get Series X or PS5 for that matter with this idea that all games would be 60 fps, this is developer dependent folks lol If you want 60 FPS, build a gaming PC and lower all settings and keep upgrade to get that number if its so important

SkylineRKR

You'll live.

Its about exploration, I don't expect the action to be like Doom or Devil May Cry. I would prefer 60fps but honestly I played countless hours of Skyrim, Witcher 3, Horizon etc at 30fps. Then, when either a more powerful XSX comes out, or next-gen consoles, this game will be upgraded anyway. People started with Skyrim on fucking PS3 and now still play it on gaming rigs or PS5.

Such a silly take.

Imagine anyone having this attitude when Fallout 3 or Skyrim launched. Those games definitely weren’t misses. Highly doubt this one will be.

djjinx2

Phil said something recently about Xbox console gamers being the “core” of the Xbox brand. I think it was on kinda funny podcast.

They’re getting a second fiddle product to a PC version, that’s the issue. There’s no reason to own an Xbox really. I’m not going to buy one but had every intention at the start of the generation. As the majority of posters on here say, PC really is the way forward.
This is a theme here right now I see, PC>Xbox. There's no reason for Xbox blah blah.

On enthusiast forums maybe. But 90% of people (casuals) will see Starfield or Forza etc and just buy a Series X/S. Most people don't care about building the greatest most powerful PC, they care about CoD and Fifa and whatever is advertised on the TV (for example)

The "whole point of these new consoles" is to be able to make better games, it will always be a devs choice what to focus on. Personally I'd rather have all the cool physics and AI stuff that Bethesda games are great at then a few more frames. It's not like every game can just cut the resolution and ray-tracing and have that be enough to go from 30-60. If they have to fundamentally change the game and remove things in order to up the framerate I don't see why anybody would want the increased framerate that much. Let the devs make their decisions on what's best for the game

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Such a silly take.

Imagine anyone having this attitude when Fallout 3 or Skyrim launched. Those games definitely weren’t misses. Highly doubt this one will be.

The overly long cross gen period has made people over optimistic about fixed spec hardware.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Just a thought, if the issue isn’t GPU and, as I think, it is more I/O and storage bound (CPU needs to wait on them) then a faster SSD might have helped sustain the 60 fps…

I mean... you can post as many laugh reactions as you like, but I would appreciate much more a counter argument on why an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, which has only 6 cores, seems to be enough to get it running at 60 FPS and Xbox's Zen 2 with 8 cores isn't... If the issue really is CPU and not I/O and storage.
Or is it GPU after all and could be fixed by rendering everything at an even lower internal resolution? :messenger_winking:

I guess, once it releases on PC, we will get many answers.

Last edited:
Just a thought, if the issue isn’t GPU and, as I think, it is more I/O and storage bound (CPU needs to wait on them) then a faster SSD might have helped sustain the 60 fps…

I mean... you can post as many laugh reactions as you like, but I would appreciate much more a counter argument on why an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, which has only 6 cores, seems to be enough to get it running at 60 FPS and Xbox's Zen 2 with 8 cores isn't... If the issue really is CPU and not I/O and storage.
Or is it GPU after all and could be fixed by rendering everything at an even lower internal resolution? :messenger_winking:

I guess, once it releases on PC, we will get many answers.
There’s base building and a thousand planets to do it on, I’d imagine IO would be an issue (I can break any machine you put in front of me with Fallout 4’s base building if I turn off the limits). But tying those bases with supply lines with NPCs (because it’s Bethesda they will simulate every part of their journey while the player is off somewhere else) you also get CPU issues.

And who said an AMD Ryzen 3600x is going to be above 60fps all the time? And why are you tying cores to power? I could get better results off a single core compared to a 16 core if the single core was fast enough, it’s not a valid metric to anything.

Last edited:
I played skyrim on the PS3. I’m sure I’ll be ok with 30 fps as long as the rest of the game kicks ass.
Exactly this.

I imagine the majority of people who played Skyrim did so first on either a 360 or a PS3. We all survived and lived to tell the tale, and no one was complaining about the graphics. We were too busy having an amazing time in a once-in-a-generation game

93xfan

Banned
Not seeing an argument here, just you telling me it's not worth it. I can see creature comforts like couch, tv, controller, but beyond that PC does everything better (and you can play on your tv, couch, with a controller on PC too). If you're saying ease of installing games and less fuss, never having to worry about settings, pc issues etc. then that's again not even a big deal if you know anything about PC's. And now PC is getting many PS games now, just have to wait a bit.

Not seeing where it's ridiculous to think if you have the money then playing on pc is the superior choice many times over.

I personally love the consistency and simplicity of consoles. No stutter, less cheaters, not going up against k/m players online and plenty of other reasons.

You even listed some reasons yourself.

X-Wing

There’s base building and a thousand planets to do it on, I’d imagine IO would be an issue (I can break any machine you put in front of me with Fallout 4’s base building if I turn off the limits). But tying those bases with supply lines with NPCs (because it’s Bethesda they will simulate every part of their journey while the player is off somewhere else) you also get CPU issues.

And who said an AMD Ryzen 3600x is going to be above 60fps all the time? And why are you tying cores to power? I could get better results off a single core compared to a 16 core if the single core was fast enough, it’s not a valid metric to anything.

True. I assume the recommended specs are targeting 60 fps on PC. As for the second part, both CPUs are Zen 2 and at about the same clock speed so I wouldn't expect much difference, more cores will allow for more processes to be ran at the same time. The game probably relies on heavy multithreading to keep track of the position and state of all the different objects... Now I don't believe this processes remain active all the time. They are most likely swapped to persistent storage and have to be loaded again when the player approaches the location where the needed objects are. Hence why I think I/O has a role to play in this.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

BlankTeemingIndigobunting-size_restricted.gif

...nothing to do with the framerate though. Further, the popularity that Bethesda has garnered with their games is admirable and jaw dropping.

Last edited:
BlankTeemingIndigobunting-size_restricted.gif

...nothing to do with the framerate though. Further, the popularity that Bethesda has garnered with this games is admirable and jaw dropping.
Exactly. So what’s the problem

All that matters is if you’re having fun or not. Instead people love to whine about frames. First world problems, and not something anyone cared about ten years ago

Last edited:

Phase

I personally love the consistency and simplicity of consoles. No stutter, less cheaters, not going up against k/m players online and plenty of other reasons.

You even listed some reasons yourself.
Well we were discussing whether it's worth it if you have the money to get a PC over consoles. He provided no reasons so I gave a few I thought were reasonable but those could still be attained using PC. Your mention of cheaters, however, is a good reason.

AstronomerIT

Neo Member
Assassin’s Creed, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds just to name a few. All of those games are basically Bethesda spin-offs. Open-world with light RPG mechanics, loads of dialogue, some okay mechanics (whether it’s gunplay or swordplay), a large core narrative and endless side content.

Man, still now after all this year of forum, people doesen't know how Bethesda's ow works and why technically you can't do any kind of comparison.
I kindly suggest to invest less than one hour and learn all the peculiarity/differences expecially for Starfield

MMaRsu

Banned
Assassin’s Creed, The Witcher 3, just to name a few. All of those games are basically Bethesda spin-offs. Open-world with light RPG mechanics, loads of dialogue, some okay mechanics (whether it’s gunplay or swordplay), a large core narrative and endless side content.

??????????

Lmao how is AC and TW3 a Bethesda spinoff

Dreathlock

The 30 fps thing is absolutely fantastic and a sign of an incredibly exciting game. It’s about time we got a big, systems-driven game with enough going on under the hood to actually tie up these current-gen CPUs. People who want games that run at 60fps have plenty to choose from, but insisting on this for every game cuts out some unique (or at least interesting) gameplay opportunities that simply do not have the CPU budget to run at 60 fps.

I say let’s get some more games that have some actual gameplay under the graphics.
Imagine how fantastic the game would be at 15fps. I hope they add an option for that.

MMaRsu

Banned
Returnal runs at 60
Ratchet & Clank has a performance mode
HFW expansion has a proformance mode
FF 16 has a proformance mode
Plaque’s Tales Requiem has a proformance
Street fight 6 has a proformance mode
Redfall will get a proformance mode
Returnal is a very linear game.

So is Ratchet & Clank

HFW is based on PS4 tech

FF16 dips to 720p at 45fps in 'performance' mode

SF6 is a 2d fighter

Redfall is trash either way

TheProtector

Neo Member
People exaggerate too much about 30fps. The most important for me is that the frametime is stable. I spend 100 hours on Witcher 3 in 4k ultra and 60fps before I started BotW on the Switch. Yes the first hour or so Zelda looked liked a slideshow and my eyes almost hurt because the difference is so huge, but then after the 1-2 hours I didn't even noticed anymore because the frame time in Zelda games are good (even the framedrops are "fluent", don't know to explain) and if the game is good fps doesn't matter anyway. If it's 30fps with a bad frametime then yes it's a no go. If it's 30fps with a good frametime then I really don't care.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Whatever excuse you want to use for a new game running at last gen framerates in 2023.

If you like to eat shit, don't let me stop you.
I play on PC.

What excuses are you talking about? These consoles cant do 60fps on real new gen games.

Roxkis_ii

I play on PC.

What excuses are you talking about? These consoles cant do 60fps on real new gen games.
You say that, then quote my list of next gen games with a proformance mode, then give excuses why they don't count, but seemed confused why a console player would have the expectation of games having a proformance mode....

Does console games running at a higher framerate make you insecure about your pc purchase??

MMaRsu

Banned
You say that, then quote my list of next gen games with a proformance mode, then give excuses why they don't count, but seemed confused why a console player would have the expectation of games having a proformance mode....

Does console games running at a higher framerate make you insecure about your pc purchase??
What

Im saying those games arent really next gen, so ofcourse they can run at higher fps.

MMaRsu

Banned
Games that are released only a next gen console, aren't next gen.

Disagree.gif

So if I release a port of Tetris on a next gen console, its a next gen game?

Uhh yea

I dont even get why your trying to argue with me. Do you think every game that comes out on these 'next gen systems' will be 60fps? Or should be able to? Or what is your point exactly.

Last edited:

Gudji

Yes, but it was never going to reach 60fps (on current gen consoles) based on the amount of simulations going on
Every Bethesda game has simulation going on and it is a new gen console that runs circles around previous hardware and even most current gaming PCs, so I have to call bullshit on that one.

Also you have Todd howard saying that the gane runs often way above 60 fps and sometimes at 60. But keep going with the bullshit excuses I do enjoy it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom