• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 will run at 720p on all consoles (30fps on Switch and 60fps on PS5/Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You guys want it to look like this???

nHysFiFzH3k9jfV6VCcgb.0.jpg

throw-up-dry-heave.gif
I doubt MGS is even running at 720p at this point

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah, I'll probably take Quake 2 for a spin, looks great. Because... I'm sure I'll get roasted to hell and back for this, but never played it way back then. FPSs have just never been my priority. But Q2 remaster looks nice.

It's the gold standard for a remaster. Also check out the Quake 1 remaster by the same studio. It's also fantastic.

Luigi Mario

So, they really are just reusing the Bluepoint remasters from over a decade ago?
This would have been a good opportunity to make further improvements to framerate or resolution and use the US version of Substance for this collection.

TGO

So, they really are just reusing the Bluepoint remasters from over a decade ago?
This would have been a good opportunity to make further improvements to framerate or resolution and use the US version of Substance for this collection.
Literally and MGS is a ROM dump so expect 480p....well actually 320x240

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So what? 720p 60 is more than enough for these titles if these are not remasters.
I want that chunky pixels in mgs1. It would look worse in 4k.

For mgs2 and 3, 4k wouldn’t hurt but I bet that the post processing effects like misty rain, dof and bloom disappear with higher resolution as these effects often do so 720p might be just fine. Again, these assets don’t need anything more.
There really is no difference running these games 720p or 4k if you run anti aliasing.

Just for the love of god make the ports true to originals. We never had good mgs1 port.

Emulating mgs1 at 4k ruins it.

The only good way to do 4k for mgs1 would be integer scaling but consoles don’t support it. 4k divides integer by 720p so you could quadruple the pixels but that only works for unfiltered games. Games with filtered textures like 2 and 3 look better with normal bilinear scaling. Integer scaling would introduce pixelisation to the image.

So yeah, 4k is actually ok news considering the ports are true to original and don’t introduce new issues.

But straight collection? 10$. Not fucking 50
Edit: I see people laughing? Why? I am right. The games look best with original settings. That’s how it works most of time with this stuff. It’s a collection. Not remastered collection. So nobody can say they overpromised lol.
Still fuck konami
You're not completely wrong but it's Konami being shit. It's true that some effects can break or disappear at higher resolutions due to the fact that the game's art wasn't created for that many pixels, but this is why it's the job of the studio to redo and redraw those effects/assets. You can't just keep the same shitty 64x64 textures and increase the resolution to 4K, it would only result in a crisp image with horrible textures, making the overall look even more jarring. You have to redo them and obviously, Konami couldn't be assed to redo any of that. They're just shitting what seems like a bunch of PS Vita or PS360 ports and calling it a day.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're not completely wrong but it's Konami being shit. It's true that some effects can break or disappear at higher resolutions due to the fact that the game's art wasn't created for that many pixels, but this is why it's the job of the studio to redo and redraw those effects/assets. You can't just keep the same shitty 64x64 textures and increase the resolution to 4K, it would only result in a crisp image with horrible textures, making the overall look even more jarring. You have to redo them and obviously, Konami couldn't be assed to redo any of that. They're just shitting what seems like a bunch of PS Vita or PS360 ports and calling it a day.
yeah. The only problem is that it's a colelction.
Not remaster collection.

But priced as remaster collection

Puscifer

I'm guessing 720p internal rendering? The game-logic and code base is rather archaic, old and weird.

Messing around with it on emulators causes all kinds of problems because of the way is was coded.
These aren't emulators. Bluepoint reserved engineered them from the ground up to run natively on PC and then ported them to consoles (which is weird considering the original HD versions never made it to PC) and even doubled the framerate of Snake Eater. Essentially the HD Edition are completely new "versions" as opposed to just ports, and even weirder that the switch isn't running them at 60 consider it eclipses the 360/PS3 from a power standpoint.

Last edited:

TGO

Legit what the fuck is Konamis problem ?
And to think they posted message about the development of this and we've had a to wait months for it
We thank you and sincerely appreciate your continuous support.

Currently, the development team are working together to create an environment where fans can experience and enjoy the Metal Gear series on the latest platforms. We are remaking Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, one of the most beloved instalments of the Metal Gear series, revealing the origin story of Snake, as Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater. We are working hard for Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater to be a faithful recreation of the original story and game design, while evolving the gameplay with stunning visuals and a seamless user experience. Simultaneously, we will deliver the Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection series, the most complete compilation that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series. The Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection allow fans to play the games as they were, as first released on the latest platforms.

We hope you will enjoy the Metal Gear series on the latest platforms.

—Development Team

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Gambit2483

And to think they posted message about the development of this and we've had a to wait months for it

Cracking Up Lol GIF
Lol I mean they flat out state that they aren't doing much to upgrade the games,

"The Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection allow fans to play the games as they were"

What I don't understand is how a PS2 game runs @ 60fps but gets decreased to 30fps on Switch (stronger hardware).

How hard is this to do on powerful modern HW? Pretty inexcusable. I don't really care to hear a PR reason either. You just had a PS3 era game ported to Switch (RDR) that ran at lower res and running at 1080p on Switch. These are PS2 era titles.

You lose a sale in a heartbeat doing things like this. Sorry it's just not excusable on the more modern systems.

Most casuals aren't thinking like we do here on neogaf, it doesn't matter how crap the port is people will buy this game because of nostalgia and publishers know this which is why they keep making these half baked ports.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Impressive. 720p could be easily upscaled to 1440p or 2160p but thats probably too much for them.

They played us like a damn fiddle!
I'm thinking the same thing I thought about Red Dead Redemption; they're going to have 720p/60 Switch handheld, and DLSS 4K/60 docked on the backwards compatible Switch 2. Just you wait...

MrA

Banned

Edit: wtf, beaten with the same video?

Works out , I replied to the incredulous follow up, you covered the original

They took it off of ps plus and game pass so they could re-release it for 60 bucks.
I'd say the switch version physical release seeming to be a cartridge that acts like a download key is a new and amazing low, and unless this bs changed the switch version doesn't even have the download required banner games that aren't all on cart have

Vblad88

I wish they provided original pixelcounts and framerates for each game as I'm more fan of the ports than remasters (never played one that fully satisfied me), but oh well 2020's Konami is 2020's Konami...

Kadve

When Snake eater was ported to the 3DS i think people can understand why it turned out like it did. But what's their excuse this time?

HL3.exe

These aren't emulators. Bluepoint reserved engineered them from the ground up to run natively on PC and then ported them to consoles (which is weird considering the original HD versions never made it to PC) and even doubled the framerate of Snake Eater. Essentially the HD Edition are completely new "versions" as opposed to just ports, and even weirder that the switch isn't running them at 60 consider it eclipses the 360/PS3 from a power standpoint.
My guess is, the underlying game-logic and render is still single threaded. Meaning, not very lower clock multicore friendly. So probably especially though in the Switch. These games where made in the pre-multicore era. (When the common thought was, we would be having 10ghz CPU's by 2010, haha).

Separating these threads (even in reverse engineer fashion) is tricky keeping the underlying game-logic functioning as is. We'll know when the PC version releases. Curious what RTSS will show.

Gambit2483

When Snake eater was ported to the 3DS i think people can understand why it turned out like it did. But what's their excuse this time?
Exactly. On 3DS they had to produce essentially, 2 screens of the game simultaneously running. So the game running 24fps made sense. Yet on exponentially stronger hardware they can only afford to add 6 extra frames? Why? Because of increased resolution? That's just poor optimization. Even moreso for MGS2. They could at least add a performance mode toggle for those that value fps over resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom