• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insomniac]Miles Morals will be the main Spider-Man going forward

sigmaZ

Key And Peele Coffee GIF

Fredrik

anyone who's actually played the damn game knows this is 100% gonna be Peter's trilogy & 3's gonna be the big finale for him
So Insomniac are lying? Why? Bottom of the barrel noise for no reason. Could’ve said nothing then and people would’ve kept assuming that upcoming Spider-Man games are about Peter Parker and upcoming Miles Morales games are about Miles Morales.

Barakov

Gold Member
Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Should have alternate between the two. Next one Miles, then Peter, and so on. To remove Peter as the main character or one of the main characters in all future Spider-Man games is pretty lame. This won’t sit well with most I don’t think (long time Spider-Man fans at least).

Fishels

Should have alternate between the two. Next one Miles, then Peter, and so on. To remove Peter as the main character or one of the main characters in all future Spider-Man games is pretty lame. This won’t sit well with most I don’t think (long time Spider-Man fans at least).
This. Or you do how it was done here and include both heavily.

I think a game where one of them goes overseas instead of NYC would be cool

Neolombax

Eh, Peter will always be my Spiderman. Sure I'll still play any spiderman game out there, but why isn't Miles given a Spiderman name though?

hyperbertha

Of course Peter Parker is being sidelined, Insomniac made him a whining, cringe inducing simp. Something tells me that was the plan all along. The new instalment will likely feature Miles supported by a bulked-up Sam Fisher MJ. She was way more effective at taking down enemies than her super-human boyfriend; and to think, she was almost completely untrained - who knows how formidable she could become given a little more time to hone her skills. Perhaps she will be suiting up in the new game?

At this point, is anyone actually looking forward to a new Insomniac Wolverine game? I wonder what their approach will be. Of course, they will have to establish how cool and accepting Logan is with women, gays and trans people. If they don’t then people may assume the worst. Who knows, maybe Insomniac will go full pander-verse and offer up a lame gay female sidekick. I'm expecting the maximum amount of diversity and inclusion from a potential Wolverine game. I'd also be disappointed if the game didn't offer similar or higher levels of obnoxious social commentary in comparison to Spider-Man 2. After all, that's why people play video games right?
It's shared universe. So can't wait for Wolverine to get his ass handed to him by mj and start respecting her more...

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm largely an image comics guy but from what I remember Miles took over the Ultimate Spider-Man line so take that for what you will.

The Ultimate universe was completely destroyed canonically and in print.
He was since moved to the 616 mainline universe because he snuck onto Reed Richards ship that can survive universes ending.
So he was "missing" during Secret Wars as he was hiding on the ship.
Because he helped the mainline universe win vs Dr.Doom, when Reed and Franklin remade the universe they rewarded him by injecting him into the mainline universe.....and so we have 616 Miles Morales.....whose book is call Spider-Man because his "feats" during Secret Wars warrant him being a hero of the highest order....so not kid Spider-Man, not Spider-Sidekick, not Spider-Boy.....Spider-Man.
Anytime Peter is unable to run his own book Miles is supposed to take over.

Eh, Peter will always be my Spiderman. Sure I'll still play any spiderman game out there, but why isn't Miles given a Spiderman name though?
His superhero name (if thats what you are asking) is Spider-Man
He even has his own book and an homage cover to Spider-Man number 1.

Miles-Morales-Spiderman-42-Ivan-Tao-McFarlane-Homage-Trade-Dress-Variant-600.jpg

hyperbertha

Maybe its the old get off my lawn man coming out in me but I just don't want to play this new universe crap.

I haven't even opened my SM2 and might just return it to Gamestop

I have other more interesting games to play that doesn't have agendas
The Spidermen in 2 don't even feel like Spidermen. It's a glorified Ironman simulator. You fly instead of swinging, and your attacks are super tech powers. Wtf is this?

Z O N E

Of course, they will.

It will also happen to God of War where they will replace Kratos with Atreus one day.

Rather than having a spin off with those characters they want to replace them... which is shit.

Look what happened with Halo 5 and playing as Locke for half the game or more. The player base complained and then Infinite was strictly Chief.

Puscifer

The Ultimate universe was completely destroyed canonically and in print.
He was since moved to the 616 mainline universe because he snuck onto Reed Richards ship that can survive universes ending.
So he was "missing" during Secret Wars as he was hiding on the ship.
Because he helped the mainline universe win vs Dr.Doom, when Reed and Franklin remade the universe they rewarded him by injecting him into the mainline universe.....and so we have 616 Miles Morales.....whose book is call Spider-Man because his "feats" during Secret Wars warrant him being a hero of the highest order....so not kid Spider-Man, not Spider-Sidekick, not Spider-Boy.....Spider-Man.
Anytime Peter is unable to run his own book Miles is supposed to take over.

His superhero name (if thats what you are asking) is Spider-Man
He even has his own book and an homage cover to Spider-Man number 1.

Miles-Morales-Spiderman-42-Ivan-Tao-McFarlane-Homage-Trade-Dress-Variant-600.jpg
Holy shit, yikes! Again, granted I don't follow marvel/dc because of the years of reading you have to catch up on to let it make sense this sounds... Just awful. Miles was great in ultimate because the separate universe allowed let him shine as his own character but like X-Men they're just letting every bad idea and explanation be canon.

And I guess that's why I'm down for image, when you're longest running comic is Spawn and the other was completed years ago all that's left is for artists to let their imagination run wild.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Holy shit, yikes! Again, granted I don't follow marvel/dc because of the years of reading you have to catch up on to let it make sense this sounds... Just awful. Miles was great in ultimate because the separate universe allowed let him shine as his own character but like X-Men they're just letting every bad idea and explanation be canon.

X-Men slander in 2023?
I'll let it slide because you said you dont follow the comics much, but this will be you one and only warning.

Yeah.
Miles being an Ultimate character was fine with me (Ultimate Peter Parker literally dies so Miles can become that universes Spider-Man, weird flex considering what ultimate comics was supposed to be), I didnt like Ultimate comics outside of a few runs where the writers just lost their shit and realized they basically have no editors from Marvel (see Ultimatum) otherwise once he became mainline....he felt so forced and borderline like pandering, and this is coming from a black man, most of my black IRL comic reader friends dont like Miles because it seems like theyve tokenized him but cant even get that right.

People who dont read comics much love Miles, people who have been with Marvel long enough, white, black or blue have slammed Miles for being a weak character that the writers dont really know what to do with.
Which has unfortunately marred my opinion of the character in all media, I didnt even watch Into the Spider-Verse in the cinema.

P.S:
The lead up to, main story and aftermath of Secret Wars was actually really good.
And probably one of the better universe reboots ive read......maybe its recency bias i actually hold it in very very high regard.
I collected nearly every Secret Wars tie-in book too.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I finished the game yesterday and it was excellent. In Spider-Man 2 I think they made a great job letting the player swap between the characters and made good use of the two characters, giving them enough time to have their own arc. That said, I still think Peter was the main character story-wise.

I don't mind a game in which Miles Morales is the main character, but:

1) The idea Peter Parker won't be involved makes no sense looking at the post-credit scene.

2) They need to make Miles a bit more than the diversity poster-child who helps the gays and has a deaf girlfriend. He still feels like a side-character in many aspects.

3) Unrelated, but no Mary-Jane sections

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

No disrespect to Miles or his fans, but a mainline Spider-Man game without Peter Parker.......just won't have the same charm. Not to mention, Yuri Lowenthal's performance has been fantastic and i want to see more of it.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It worked great for Disney.

But honestly, my biggest question is on the gameplay. Can they really do another Spider-man in an NYC open world? They would really need to innovate for it not to become too stale. I wouldn't want another Zelda in the same Hyrule we just had twice.

GymWolf

Rheon

Not surprising considering its Insomniac.

They have the right to do whatever they want with their games so whatever.

TrebleShot

I actually prefer Miles, hes much more interesting, has better powers and the standalone miles game is the best in the series in my opinion (2 would be but they are far too on the nose with a lot of things).

I was playing some side missions and did the mission that everyone talks about with the spray cans and turned to my GF and was just like why the fuck am I doing this in a spider man game??

Anyway its fine, I think Miles is way more interesting than this Peter Parker, but they haven't even gone through a lot of the source material and big moments in PP arc, they've just ended it because they are bored?

I mean they could have PP and MM games as stand alone then come together for main line numbered entries? a bit like the avengers event movies but in game form.

They wanted this shared universe type thing, they could have integrated MM from spider verse movies and others in the media, not much imagination.

Skifi28

I don't really have anything against miles, I thought he was fine for one smaller standalone game, but if he's the only playable character going forward I don't think I care enough to buy future games. I'd a buy a game about Venom though.

ProtoByte

The framing of this article is very leading. That's not what Insomniac said in the interview and that's not what happened in the game.

Miles said he was good with picking up the slack while Peter focused on being Peter for a while. Nothing implied Peter was retiring as Spider-Man.

Now maybe next game Peter can retire if he and MJ end up having a daughter.
I really don't want Daddy Parker. Other than this Spider-Man being in his mid 20s and not needing to age any faster than the writers want him to, we really don't need more "and now they're a parent" shit. Especially not from a PlayStation series.

Honestly, MJ and Peter should break up too.

MonkD

Did anyone here actually play the game?

It's obvious that Peter is coming back for a showdown with
Goblin and Ock

Insominac said that their host was someone new. Which was also a lie. They are trying not to spoil shit, no reason to get up in arms about it. Not surprising that Peter slows down and as Miles can take on more of the responsibility, even though it's a bit early to go there after the second game. But presumably that just buildup for the third one.
j8wtv5fr05081.jpg

Not that they have any history yet, but I'm guessing this is getting adapted in some capacity.

GymWolf

Did anyone here actually play the game?

It's obvious that Peter is coming back for a showdown with
Goblin and Ock

Insominac said that their host was someone new. Which was also a lie. They are trying not to spoil shit, no reason to get up in arms about it. Not surprising that Peter slows down and as Miles can take on more of the responsibility, even though it's a bit early to go there after the second game. But presumably that just buildup for the third one.
j8wtv5fr05081.jpg

Not that they have any history yet, but I'm guessing this is getting adapted in some capacity.
We all expect peter to die in the next game to make space for alvin the chipmunk morales.

Now we only need to know how embarassing and insulting his death is gonna be.

TheKratos

The Spidermen in 2 don't even feel like Spidermen. It's a glorified Ironman simulator. You fly instead of swinging, and your attacks are super tech powers. Wtf is this?
It's a freaking sequel so you get more abilities to make the combat and traversal better, which absolutely is the case.

The new tech and moveset isn't even that far-fetched and it makes perfect sense for spiderman to keep improving and advancing his abilities. He's a damn genius.

No way an Iron Man game would play out anywhere close to how these 2 Spiderman games have played. Iron Man wouldn't melee at all.

GymWolf

Neh, not really. Miles is just more fun to play.
Maybe in the dlc, in the sequel they have power parity but peter also gets venom powers (that are also replicated by non-yellow thunders powers)

For every yellow thunder move there is a metal arms counterpart, it's just a matter of liking thunders over metal arms, the game does its best to make both of them feel extremely similar power wise, miles just has a bit faster web slinging.

Stealth is so easy that having invisibility with miles only make it even more brainless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom