• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man by Insomniac Vs. Batman by Rocksteady

Better trio of games

• Rocksteady | Batman: Arkham Asylum / Batman: Arkham City / Batman: Arkham Knight

• Insomniac | Spider-Man / Spider-Man: Miles Morales / Spider-Man 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s literally the same thing in Insomniac games. Square, square, circle, square, square. I suggest to play these games to refresh your memory.
Accept it isn't. Parry is now important in SM2 movement is more important you literally can't beat the most basic goons in sm2 with at least grasping those basics.The gadgets, abilities, air combat, level design and webs make it more interesting than arkham

In arkham you can win some fights just pressing triangle that's not engaging. Yes I know they throw some gimmick enemies to mix it up but it's still not very engaging even when with those additions. The gadgets in arkham aren't game changing either. It's fundamentally too reliant on animation pairing to be very interesting.

Ask why barely any traditional brawling one on one boss battles exist in the Franchise? It's because the combat system won't work with them.

cormack12

Gold Member
InFAMOUS series is better than both.
Go Away GIF

Both series are pretty great. Hate to have to pick, but if I had to, I'd pick the Arkham games, I really don't have much bad to say about any of the Spider-Man games from Insomniac, but for me, it just boils down to preference. I prefer Arkham's art direction and tone more than Spiderman's. And Arkham's combat, especially in Knight was about peak superhero combat.

Last edited:

TexMex

Both are great.

I’d give the edge to Batman, mainly because of Asylum. I like the intentional, Metroidvania style design. It felt like a Batman Bioshock. I love City and Knight too, but not as much.

Spider-Man is the opposite, that series gets better with each game where Batman dipped a bit for me.

Last edited:
Arkham Asylum is the best super hero game.
Not sure if true but definitely close.

Anyways, what Rocksteady achieved with Arkham Asylum is simply amazing, storytelling, pace, graphics, characters, gameplay…

Insomniac is a great studio and certainly the Spiderman IP fits perfectly with its style, and yeah probably Spiderman 2 is one of their best games, but honestly they didn’t revolutionized the genre, the didn’t bring back from the grave to a classic comic IP, whereas Rocksteady did

Great titles, however I feel Rocksteady had a tougher challenge ahead and they over exceeded expectations

Last edited:

Hugare

Arkham has hardly any animations to blend. the complexity is far less. That said, I didn't notice any major flaws with the blending.

Arkham feels stodgy and lacks the hollywood production intensity/powers. It feels very basic in comparison.
Oh boy, I dont agree at all

The production values were ALWAYS top of the business with the Arkham games. Even with Asylum it was trading blows with the best games at the time. Knight has higher production values then most current gen games despite being from 2015

And you gotta be kidding me with the "hardly any animations" statement. Lets agree to disagree then.

Nvzman

In all honesty, the Batman games are definitely better than SM PS4 and Miles Morales, but Spider-Man 2 is pretty on par with the Arkham games for sure. They are both excellent.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I dont agree at all

The production values were ALWAYS top of the business with the Arkham games. Even with Asylum it was trading blows with the best games at the time. Knight has higher production values then most current gen games despite being from 2015

And you gotta be kidding me with the "hardly any animations" statement. Lets agree to disagree then.

Look at the video above.

The combat in Arkham is nothing special man. Spider-man blows it out of the water in terms of animation. It is not anywhere in the same galaxy.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Arkham combat is crap compared to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man has a much better story.

So yeah the two key things here Spider-Man does better and Batman is my favorite super hero so lol.

simpatico

Rocksteady with ease. The new Spidermans are nice and polished, but it's really just an evolution of the PS2 games. We've had a lot of them.

What Rocksteady achieved with Batman Arkham Asylum with the combat, atmosphere and experience on 360/PS3 really showed how talented a studio they have been. It’s a shame Suicide Squad has so far turned out the way it has.

That’s not a knock to Spidey and Insomniac, it’s a great set of games in their own right and another talented studio who I like particularly after Sunset Overdrive. I just feel the Arkham trilogy was a more enjoyable time overall.

I still remember downloading that Arkham demo and being blown away. That generation was great for demos and being surprised by the goodness of some titles. Now it’s more about watching streamers who are cushy with publishers play it pre release rather then experience it yourself.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I really enjoyed playing Batman 1 and 2. I own the first Spiderman game, but I got bored at the beginning, it was so easy, so I didn't continue. I'll definitely finish it one day since I paid for it:) Probably it wasn't the right time for it.

SenkiDala

As much as I love Spider-Man, I've to say Batman games are way better. Gameplay wise I take WAY more pleasure with a Batman game than a Spider-Man game.

MastAndo

I know there are some areas in which the Arkham games are superior, but I just enjoy the Spider-Man games more. I just like the feeling of being a superhuman, with a more free-flowing, exhilarating traversal (in a representation of the city I live and recognize, which is an added bonus) as opposed to the relatively slower and more gadget-based nature of the Batman games, with heavier reliance on stealth. It's just more fun to me. They're both series that anyone even remotely interested in the genre should be playing though.

Maitre_Piccolo

Neo Member
Spider-Man 2 is very good but to me the overall Arkham formula is better, especially combat wise.

I don't understand why people think the Spider-Man combat is copy pasted from Arkham. Spider-Man combat is actually a hybrid system that borrows only some aspects of Arkham combat, but that is overall way more traditional. In Spider-Man the attack button is always a predetermined string, like in a normal beat them up. It's a string because you can continue in the same direction, on the same enemy. In Arkham the attack button is not a string when you are in free flow, which is basically 90% of the time. Spider-Man combat is a lot more similar to Gotham Knights combat.

You all said Spider-man copy Batman combat.
I always thought Batman combat copy from Ass creed. But with gadgets?
Same shit, attack attack parry attack?
Spider-man copy stealth gameplay from Batman for sure. And it's suck. Both series.

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun with the main missions in Spider-Man 1 (not so much in Miles Morales), but that is it. The enemies are boring to fight against, whereas in Batman I was always seeking more fights.

Arkham games had a good package of quality side content too.
It's just impossible to compare, it's another level

And again, I loved the first Spider-Man

Gojiira

Spiderman hands down, it nails the drama aspect of the characters, epic set pieces,best movement and traversal, better combat system, better boss battles.
Arkham though does have tighter level design and atmosphere though.

Top Bottom