• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man by Insomniac Vs. Batman by Rocksteady

Better trio of games

• Rocksteady | Batman: Arkham Asylum / Batman: Arkham City / Batman: Arkham Knight

• Insomniac | Spider-Man / Spider-Man: Miles Morales / Spider-Man 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
I prefer the Batman: Arkham quintology (no one ever remembers Arkham Origins or Arkham Origins: Blackgate damn it!) so I will give it to them despite the Marvel's Spider-Man games being really good...but Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is a painfully sharp reminder of just how far from grace Rocksteady has fallen, to the point where if it ends up killing the studio, I won't be all that sad. I don't root people to lose their jobs, but it's so obvious there is no longer any clear direction or joy at Rocksteady and they have completely lost their way in the 7+ years since they delivered Batman: Arkham VR.

GymWolf

Asylum is the best game of the bunch, combat and stealth were a novelty and not over-abused, also the metroidvania structure was neat.

Gameplay and stealth are very similar so it's a matter of preference, batman is more simple and precise, spidey is more acrobatic and maybe slightly less precise.

Traversal is arguagly better in spidey, the puzzles were better in batman.

Simply put, spidey lovers are gonna love more spidey games and batman fans are gonna prefer batman games.

Origins and knight imo were not as good as the first 2.

Spidey games are also super woke, especially morales and sp2.

Last edited:

GymWolf

When Danika Hart, the goody-two shoes poodcaster, appeared in the Miles Morales game I was absolutely certain that she was going to be a villain. No one would write such a meaningless and dull character intentionally, right? She'd have to have a dark side. But as the game was nearing its end I realized Insomniac had put this abhorrently boring woman, that spits out diabetically sugary comments about how friendly and good everyone is, as a polar opposite to Jameson.
Danika_Hart_%28Earth-1048%29_from_Marvel%27s_Spider-Man_Miles_Morales_001.png

Luckily you can shut off her podcast.
I thought she was tinkerer in the beginning.

Both Arkham Asylum and City are the best in the genre in my opinion. The former is one of the best 3D Metroidvanias ever. Plus I think Batman is a more interesting character than Spider-Man personally.

Bond007

As a series i prefer Spiderman these days.
As a individual game- Asylum is the best of all. Could also be nostalgia

Shubh_C63

I'm the biggest Arkham fanboy and even though I love Spiderman, Miles Morales and ( I guess ) Spidey2 also works on the same structure.

Arkham Trilogy however went crazy from tightly packed Asylum to combat perfected and amazing story with City and great graphics and Batmobile addition with Knight. Also they CREATED Freeflow combat.

Rocksteady 100%

All joking aside, the Batman games felt like the perfect realization of the comic book/animation of the Batman character, playing it felt like being suddenly transported to the comic book universe. This *is* Batman.
The Spider-Man game felt like at best an alternate universe, at worse a fan fiction, of the real Spider-Man. At no point playing the game did I feel I was playing as *the* Spider-Man, at best I was playing *a* Spider-Man.

Muffdraul

I enjoyed the Batman games, but compared to Spider-Man, they felt like much more of an uphill slog to drudge through up to the end. Whereas the Spider-Man games are just easy-breezy fun to play start to finish multiple times.

Hero_Select

Why would Insomniac (and many others) copy combat from 2011 though? That makes no sense. Spider-Man came out in 2018, 3 years after Arkham Knight. Just like Tomb Raider 2013 didn't ape Uncharted 1.

In 2011, Arkham City combat was one of the best in class (for its time). The thing is you can play both games in the same manner. You can brute force through with light, light, heavy combo attacks and rely on counter/perfect dodge and then beat down.

Or you can engage with all the powers/gadgets and stretch your own skills. That's what predator challenges were basically.
That's because Uncharted 1 aped the Tomb Raider games lol. Spidermans combat is clearly a copy of the Arkham games. Shadow of Mordor copied it too and that's not a bad thing. They both do their own thing with the system.

Top Bottom