• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In your honest opinion, who is the better gaming company leader? Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan?

Who is the better gaming leader?

• Phil Spencer

Votes: 201 48.9%
  • Jim Ryan

Votes: 156 38.0%
  • Doug Bowser

Votes: 54 13.1%

• Total voters
Both brands peaked with PS3 and 360 and have been on decline since the last year of both of those.

I expect this gen to be bad unless all those MS acquisitions amount to something with their money

ZehDon

Gold Member
You need to rejoin reality if you want to have this discussion if you think increasing 20% revenue but losing 1+ million subs is anything short of significant.

The number of subscribers mean jack shit. He's the CEO and chairman of Playstation, you think he cares more about the number of subscribers than money?

If you are the CEO of a company and you choose to have subscriber base of 1 billion and making 1 dollar off each of them, over making 1 trillion dollars off of 1 player, than you'd failed miserably.

If Phil had the opportunity of making more money and he chose for more subscribers instead, Satya Nadela would boot his ass before you can even blink.

The title of this thread is:

In your honest opinion, who is the better gaming company leader? Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan?

And not who do you think is the most charitable leader for us poor gamers my dude.

Oh yeah and you only chose one aspect out of all the areas I've listed as improvements, good ol cherry picker.

Oh yeah and Jim didn't make any improvements before. He's just a pleb who the stakeholders chose to run the company. I mean Jim Ryan has only started working at Sony since 1994.

But anyways back to your 'point'. No matter how you look at it, it's always easier to show signs of improvement if before it was total shit. Especially when Xbox was in despereation mode and begged daddy Microsoft for help. You need not look any further than Xbox fans themselves. When shit was grim for Xbox, Xbox fans would be happy with any shitty exclusive that came along. Because there's nothing else to look forward to. If there's even a tiny diamond in a turd, the diamond would be what catches people's eyes. But if there's a billion diamonds it's tough to find the biggest and brightest one.

Having the pressure of inherting a successful business and turn it into an even more successful company with limited funds is way tougher than begging daddy for help and stick a diamond in a turd to get people's attention.

The Xbox 360 days are a great success for Xbox. Satya Nadela saw that. He also saw that the Xbox almost got ran to the ground with 1 dumb ass presentation. Satya knows he has awar chest. And he knows, just like many people do that if you can't win the game then you need to change the game. You ain't so bright if you think that's a genius idea from Phil. If you've got the money, changing the game you can't win at before is a relatively simple task compared to normal situations.

Indeed time is simple but you don't seem to get it. Jim Ryan joined Sony back in 1994. You think he made no meaningful contributions? You think the stakeholders will choose a charitable nice pleb over someone who has consistently shown a good business mindset and delivered consistent results in the form of big ass numbers with flying colors at the bottom line?

Indeed projects like developing games take time. But climbing up the corporate ladder of this magnitude takes a lot more time and effort. 36 Years to be exact.

Wether you can publicly find Jim Ryan's contributions or not, stakeholders dont take the CEO position likely. Its their money they're betting with. Betting on someone who has no visible contributions while before it was ran by many succesful leaders is the last thing any stakeholder would do.
Well, I think I hit a nerve. And yet, for all the words, you didn't actually post anything. Not a single example or fact to back up literally anything. You just wrote: "Ryan MUST be doing something SIGNIFICANT because he's the CEO! He ALONE has made PlayStation successful!".

As of today, right now, Jim Ryan's PlayStation's biggest change from his predecessors is its pricing structure. That's literally it. Everything else is just continuing along from the work left behind from House, Boyd, and Yoshida's excellent work at the start of the PS4 era. When the GaaS titles start landing, we'll see the fruits of Ryan's work. Until then, Jim Ryan hasn't really "done" much besides charge more for less.

On the other side, Xbox exists today because Phil Spencer worked to keep it alive. Literally - without Spencer, Microsoft was apparently pretty close to simply getting out of gaming until he convinced them to stay in the game. Stepping in and keeping the brand alive at its lowest point VS stepping in and raising the brand's prices at its highest point?

On the other side, Xbox exists today because Phil Spencer worked to keep it alive. Literally - without Spencer, Microsoft was apparently pretty close to simply getting out of gaming until he convinced them to stay in the game. Stepping in and keeping the brand alive at its lowest point VS stepping in and raising the brand's prices at its highest point?

Keeping the platform on life support seems like lip service to me to dramatize the state Xbox was in. Doubtful it was ever seriously considered

The fact remains that Phil hasn’t done much to engender excitement for the platform despite keeping it alive. The problems with managing studios are long lasting, unresolved, and seemingly with no end in sight.

Both suck.
8fvmYH9.gif

Well, I think I hit a nerve. And yet, for all the words, you didn't actually post anything. Not a single example or fact to back up literally anything. You just wrote: "Ryan MUST be doing something SIGNIFICANT because he's the CEO! He ALONE has made PlayStation successful!".

As of today, right now, Jim Ryan's PlayStation's biggest change from his predecessors is its pricing structure. That's literally it. Everything else is just continuing along from the work left behind from House, Boyd, and Yoshida's excellent work at the start of the PS4 era. When the GaaS titles start landing, we'll see the fruits of Ryan's work. Until then, Jim Ryan hasn't really "done" much besides charge more for less.

You didn't hit anything besides your own wall of ignorance and fantasy land. If Phil wasnt there, Microsoft would just find a different poster boy to splash the money. It isn't much of a big difference who splashes the money as long as there's money.

Changing pricing structure takes analytical skills. Like you said, Playstation lost subscribers yet they are making more revenue in turn. That takes business insight. Which you don't have.

Also you only pointed out that 1 lil point about PSN tiers and even then failed logical business reasoning. Now think bout how you can even fill 1% of Jim Ryan's shoes when he's improved so many aspects of Playstation.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Keeping the platform on life support seems like lip service to me to dramatize the state Xbox was in. Doubtful it was ever seriously considered

The fact remains that Phil hasn’t done much to engender excitement for the platform despite keeping it alive. The problems with managing studios are long lasting, unresolved, and seemingly with no end in sight.
Well, Spencer and Nadella tell the same story. If you want to call it into question, that's fine - but there's nothing to support it given the absolutely disaster that was the Xbone.

As for generating excitement, Xbox is currently having its best generation ever, according to their PR statements. Game Pass is carrying the Xbox brand right now, and it's going so well, PlayStation have taken steps to emulate it. I'd say he's doing something, given that success.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well, Spencer and Nadella tell the same story. If you want to call it into question, that's fine - but there's nothing to support it given the absolutely disaster that was the Xbone.

As for generating excitement, Xbox is currently having its best generation ever, according to their PR statements. Game Pass is carrying the Xbox brand right now, and it's going so well, PlayStation have taken steps to emulate it. I'd say he's doing something, given that success.
Ybarra has said to me before Xbox almost died off so people can make of that what they want

Xbox is really having a great generation because gamepass is carrying it but Xbox needs to get the next year right and not delay the big titles in the pipeline

I will be honest I had always used my PS5 for its exclusives and literally everything else was on my Series X because FOR ME the hardware is simply superior when I take into account the Elite controller

Have to admit have been playing the new COD more on the PS5 of late because of finding more matches with cross play off.

That's the problem, what you are saying is a dramatized version of the story. Mattrick left after the Xbox One launch and the management team was disjointed. So, during the course of natural business discussions from Nadella (who isn't someone experienced in gaming), Phil won over his confidence. It does not sound like the division was ever in serious danger of being abandoned.

Those are PR statements, and it seems natural these days that platforms are selling better/faster sooner in their lifecycle. This isn't unique to Xbox.

Under the surface though, they've had to outright buy studios to the tune of $100B. That's a huge cash comittment for something seemingly in such great condition. So I am doubtful of the claims of success just like I'm doubtful of the claims of GamePass profitability and all the other creative accounting used to spin things in a more positive light. The truth is they still haven't delivered to their consumers the games they expected when they became Xbox fans in the OG or 360 era.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Jim Ryan is largely invisible, save for a couple of interviews a year. I have no idea about him.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sorry, but I would not change Spencer for Ryan like...ever.

I know that both of them are business executives, but at least Spencer is building something from "ruins" that execs before him left. Ryan just inherited well oiled machine and he still manages to do some really dumb decisions.

Every Sony fan who is claiming that they would not change Ryan for Spencer are just lying to themselves. Imagine pro-consumer moves like free next-gen upgrades, Smart delivery, expansion to more devices etc. with established studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, SSM etc.
Reading your post, you must hate good quality games.

ZehDon

Gold Member
That's the problem, what you are saying is a dramatized version of the story. Mattrick left after the Xbox One launch and the management team was disjointed. So, during the course of natural business discussions from Nadella (who isn't someone experienced in gaming), Phil won over his confidence. It does not sound like the division was ever in serious danger of being abandoned.
Well, actually, it was Balmer who was running Microsoft when Mattrick left. Nadella didn't take over for nearly a year later. And even then, it took most of the Xbone generation for Spencer to convince Nadella to let Xbox operate as its own division, instead of being under the greater umbrella of other divisions within Microsoft. That happened around 2018, if memory serves. 2013 to 2018 is an eternity when you're stuck with the Xbone hardware, a decimated first party, and fans who literally abandoned the brand en masse. Spencer kept it going.

... Under the surface though, they've had to outright buy studios to the tune of $100B. That's a huge cash comittment for something seemingly in such great condition. So I am doubtful of the claims of success just like I'm doubtful of the claims of GamePass profitability and all the other creative accounting used to spin things in a more positive light. The truth is they still haven't delivered to their consumers the games they expected when they became Xbox fans in the OG or 360 era.
Well, publicly traded companies can't lie about little things like "profits". People go to jail. So, if you believe Microsoft is openly and actively committing fraud, you must have some serious fucking receipts to be dropping those kinds of accusations. Can I see them please?

Last edited:
Its Phil, he got all the western rpg's in one box to play. Now he just need to deliver the goods.

For Jimbo I dont approve of branching ALL the IPs to become tv and movies. You are already making excellent interactive summer blockbusters.

Well, publicly traded companies can't lie about little things like "profits". People go to jail. So, if you believe Microsoft is openly and actively committing fraud, you must have some serious fucking receipts to be dropping those kinds of accusations. Can I see them please?

This wasn't in a financial statement. It was some off the cuff comment. You can easily obfuscate reality by hiding costs when talking about profitability, even in financial statements. Companies aren't required to disclose every detail. Microsoft intentionally hides many, and brags about non-financial metrics to positively spin their position.

Kudos to Phil for keeping Xbox going, but just doing that isn't some amazing achievement. The brand has floundered when it comes to business identity from a software standpoint. It's a repeated failure of his that is obviously one of the most important aspects of the business

tmlDan

Jim Ryan, not only is his team of devs creating games at a steady pace, he's also setting sony up for the future of gaming that they refused to acknowledge prior.

Phil would have had my vote but his studios are not producing at a level that is acceptable at the moment.

You can't reason with most people. They are not capable of seeing things through others point of view. If you like something and they don't, to them, it's because it's shit and you have bad taste.

The fact is, this is the best first two years of any Xbox and nearly 30 million people have Game Pass which folks here love to act like has no games. It's whatever dude. You gotta realize arguing with these people is pointless. They simply do not live in a world where they allow themselves to be objective.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Jim Ryan looks like someones moldy old uncle that no one wanted to have kids with and Phil Spencer looks that older cousin who doesn't fit in with the rest of the cousins but has to sit at the kids table and tries to join in on the adult coversations from across the room.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
This wasn't in a financial statement. It was some off the cuff comment. You can easily obfuscate reality by hiding costs when talking about profitability, even in financial statements. Companies aren't required to disclose every detail. Microsoft intentionally hides many, and brags about non-financial metrics to positively spin their position.
Public statements in published interviews constitute public declarations. It's why Elon Musk's tweets get him in hot water; there's no such thing as "off the cuff" when you're talking the financials of a publicly traded company. So, as I said: can I see the receipts for Microsoft's fraud?

... Kudos to Phil for keeping Xbox going, but just doing that isn't some amazing achievement...
Well, that's just moving the goal posts, isn't it?
"Phil didn't keep Xbox going - it was never in doubt"
"Ok, sure, it was in doubt, but keeping Xbox going isn't an achievement"

fart town usa

Gold Member
Neither makes games that I'm all that interested in but I gave it to Jim because I love the PS5 and Sony has Mark Cerny.

ZkVZ8wZ.jpg

also, just realized that Cerny is Garth, lol.

fITwH0n.jpg

Public statements in published interviews constitute public declarations. It's why Elon Musk's tweets get him in hot water; there's no such thing as "off the cuff" when you're talking the financials of a publicly traded company. So, as I said: can I see the receipts for Microsoft's fraud?

I am not claiming financial fraud. I am claiming that GamePass is only possible when viewed from a very specific lens that doesn't consider ALL costs of operating the Xbox studios business.

Well, that's just moving the goal posts, isn't it?
"Phil didn't keep Xbox going - it was never in doubt"
"Ok, sure, it was in doubt, but keeping Xbox going isn't an achievement"

It's not moving the goal post. Just keeping the business going isn't going to cut it in terms of my vantage point of a successful executive for a huge gaming company. It's simply part of your job, and not a particularly difficult one in a business environment that's highly advantageous to the parent company.

Actually it kind of is if Xbox was in fact in that kind of trouble especially considering what he has done for Xbox

I don't believe it was ever in serious danger. The Xbox One had a pretty good start even with the turmoil of Mattrick's departure. It was certainly selling more than any other Xbox before it for quite a while, just like the Series S/X are doing now.

The narrative that it was some enormous disaster is a bit false. It failed to live up to the expectations of Xbox gaining momentum globally, and they regressed in the US/UK, but it still was a very well adopted console.

Last edited:
For one, Phil Spencer is a legit gamer while Jim Ryan couldn't give a shit about games.
Phil Spencer is an actual developer. He has helped develop games, so he knows the industry 10 times more than Jim Ryan does.

Phil came in when Xbox was on the bones of its ass.
It had just performed what will go down in history as the worst product release in history.
A buisness that had whitled down to only 4 studios and a hand full of game IPs.
They had just let their biggest and most successful studio walk away for nothing.
It was a shit show.
He then had to go into MS HQ and vindicate to the brass that Xbox should be continued and infact invested in.
Remember there was a number of influential stakeholders who were calling for the xbox to be shut down.
Jim Ryan walked into a super successful company with the dominant position in the industry. Most of what he has done has been negative.
It's a no brainer.
Plus, Phil is pretty.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I am not claiming financial fraud...
... I'm doubtful of the claims of GamePass profitability ...
Only one of these can be true. Pick one.

... Just keeping the business going isn't going to cut it in terms of my vantage point of a successful executive for a huge gaming company. It's simply part of your job, and not a particularly difficult one in a business environment that's highly advantageous to the parent company.
Cool, so actually keeping the company in existence isn't the work of a "successful executive". Interesting perspective. How about producing the best console generation in the twenty-year history of your brand:

Is that the work of a "successful executive"? Or are you "doubtful of the claims" of Microsoft's CEO?

Last edited:
Only one of these can be true. Pick one.

No they are not. You can claim profitability by claiming dev costs aren't an expense.

Cool, so actually keeping the company in existence isn't the work of a "successful executive". Interesting perspective. How about producing the best console generation in the twenty-year history of your brand:

Cool, yeah, that's pretty much a BASELINE expectation of anyone halfway competent at their job at that level.

Interesting perspective that it's some amazing achievement that a gaming company, with the benefit of massive subsidies from Windows, Cloud, and Office, can manage to stay in business.

But, this conversation isn't whether Phil has done a baseline level job. Has he been a disaster? No. But he certainly is far from inspiring anyone with the output of Xbox since he's taken over. The Xbox One was also the "best start" to the Xbox ever during their PR extravaganza, too.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
No they are not. You can claim profitability by claiming dev costs aren't an expense.
If you don't want to pick one, we're done. Microsoft aren't being fraudulent and Game Pass is profitable. If you've got receipts that say otherwise, post them: virtually every major news site would be interested to see them. If not, then you're just another drone on the internet who doesn't understand their own wild accusations.

Cool, yeah, that's pretty much a BASELINE expectation of anyone halfway competent at their job at that level.

Interesting perspective that it's some amazing achievement that a gaming company, with the benefit of massive subsidies from Windows, Cloud, and Office, can manage to stay in business.

But, this conversation isn't whether Phil has done a baseline level job. Has he been a disaster? No. But he certainly is far from inspiring anyone with the output of Xbox since he's taken over. The Xbox One was also the "best start" to the Xbox ever during their PR extravaganza.
In the post you didn't read, I explained that Xbox is having its best generation in its history.

Last edited:
You'd have to be somewhat of a cuck to vote for Jim Ryan. I say that because from everything I've seen from him. I'd bet that not only does he not play games or even use his own product... but that when speaking privately. I'd also bet he talks shit about those who do.

From when Ryan took over, I don't think Playstation is in a better place today compared to then.

Spencer likes to talk a bit too much for his own good sometimes. But Xbox is in a far better place than it was when he took over. To his credit, he alluded to how he was going to right the Xbox ship way back in 2015-2016 or so, and he methodically followed that plan. Right up to the games part, which we're currently in, but shouldn't be. I think he's done a good job, but for whatever reason, when he tries to get games for Xbox he just struggles.

If you don't want to pick one, we're done. Microsoft aren't being fraudulent and Game Pass is profitable. If you've got receipts that say otherwise, post them: virtually every major news site would be interested to see them. If not, then you're just another drone on the internet who doesn't understand their own wild accusations.

In the post you didn't read, I explained that Xbox is having its best generation in its history.

The receipts I have are the additional payroll to the tune of like 10,000 extra employees making games that are Day 1 on GamePass not including the Activision acquisition should it go through. Pretty easy for the service to be profitable when you don't include them.

Xbox One was also having its "best generation in history" at the start. Gaming is bigger today than in 2010 which is bigger than it was in 2000. Shocker.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The receipts I have are the additional payroll to the tune of like 10,000 extra employees making games that are Day 1 on GamePass not including the Activision acquisition should it go through. Pretty easy for the service to be profitable when you don't include them.
So, no receipts then. I'd cool it on the fraud accusations, friend.

Xbox One was also having its "best generation in history" at the start. Gaming is bigger today than in 2010 which is bigger than it was in 2000. Shocker.
Xbone had its best gen for about a month before it collapsed. We're two years in to Xbox Series X, and it's still sold out in more than a few places. Do you have any other false equivalencies you'd like to post?

Godot25

Banned
Reading your post, you must hate good quality games.
But that's not what is this about.
Because even if you like quality games, you can recognize, that Jim Ryan's input as a CEO has nothing to do with quality of Sony's first-party games. He is CEO from 2019. So basically all games that are coming out rn (Horizon, GT7, God of War, Ratchet, Returnal) was approved and budgeted before he came to his role. I'm trying to evaluate both of them from the time they came into their roles.

So, Ryan from 2019
Revealed PS5
Bullshited everybody with "We believe in generations" statements
Raised prices of his consoles almost 2 years after their release
Revealed PSVR2
Revamped PS Plus
Tried to shut down old PS Store which backfired
Bought several studios started with Insomniac in 2019
Closed Japan Studio
Started publishing PS Studios games on PC
Lead the charge into increasing price of games
is charging players with next-gen fee with first-party games
is leading charge into GaaS games

TLDR; When he came into his position, he received business which is greatly set-up by his predecessors, and his decision while sometimes good and make financial sense come across as profit-driven and not consumer friendly.

Spencer from 2014
Got rid of mandatory Kinect with Xbox One
Brought backwards compatibility with 360
Closed several studios starting with Lionhead
Cancelled Scalebound
Made Xbox One X
Created Game Pass
Decided that first-party games will come into Game Pass Day one
Convinced Microsoft's leadership that they need to invest into Xbox more which directly lead to purchase of Mojang, several other studios, Bethesda and Activision Blizzard
Increased number of first-party studios from 5 to 23 (30+ after Activision BLizzard)
Championed cross-play
Tried to increase price of Xbox Live Gold
Made Xbox Series consoles (with cheapest and also most powerful console on the market) and Xbox All-Access Plan
Pushed into broad ecosystem with consoles/PC/cloud all interconnected
Started to release Xbox first-party on PC day one
Xbox Play Anywhere, Smart Delivery, FPS Boost...that are all his babies

TLDR; Spencer inherited trainwreck of a platform that came out with tragic reveal of Xbox One. He not only "saved" Xbox, but he also convinced Microsoft that they need to invest into platform to be successful in future. He also made some questionable decisions, but honestly his only "sin" is that he started investing into first-party output late (from 2018) so competing platforms are still ahead in this category.

Of course, if you are ignoring fact that Ryan came into power in 2019 and you are giving him credit for stuff that his predecessors did, I can see that you like his work more. But I have feeling that many people in this thread are acting like "Ryan has better first-party games so he is better." Which does not need to be necessarily true.

Last edited:
So, no receipts then. I'd cool it on the fraud accusations, friend.

That makes me and Phil about even on the "no receipts thing", then. Cool it on the straw man arguments, because you don't need to be fraudulent to not be transparent about the entire truth.

Xbone had its best gen for about a month before it collapsed. We're two years in to Xbox Series X, and it's still sold out in more than a few places. Do you have any other false equivalencies you'd like to post?

Wasn't just a month. Xbox One ended up not being as big as 360 but it wasn't such a disaster that Xbox was on the cutting room floor.

Godot25

Banned
Wasn't just a month. Xbox One ended up not being as big as 360 but it wasn't such a disaster that Xbox was on the cutting room floor.
Really? We are now trying to pretend, that Xbone was a success just to diminish success of Series X/S?
Xbox One had a good sales for a first few months after release. Then came kinectless Xbone that pumped up sales even more, but after one year it was clear, that Xbox One is not IT. Microsoft had to bundle games with system just to get it off shelves and main bulk of sales was always during Black Friday period with discounts and stuff like that.

And yes, Xbox was on the cutting floor when Nadella became CEO of Microsoft. It's well known story.

Really? We are now trying to pretend, that Xbone was a success just to diminish success of Series X/S?
Xbox One had a good sales for a first few months after release. Then came kinectless Xbone that pumped up sales even more, but after one year it was clear, that Xbox One is not IT. Microsoft had to bundle games with system just to get it off shelves and main bulk of sales was always during Black Friday period with discounts and stuff like that.

And yes, Xbox was on the cutting floor when Nadella became CEO of Microsoft. It's well known story.

I am NOT saying it was a success. But it still sold 60 million units. Xbox 360 sold 84 million in comparison. It's not AS BiG of a disaster as some claim.

Godot25

Banned
I am NOT saying it was a success. But it still sold 60 million units. Xbox 360 sold 84 million in comparison. It's not AS BiG of a disaster as some claim.
Everything is matter of perspective.
Xbox One was not success not because it sold 50+ million consoles. But because PS4 sold almost 120 million consoles. And because Microsoft went from "we are main place to play multiplatform games" to "we are last place to do that."
Xbox 360 was success because it managed to sell almost as many consoles as PS3 after monster success that Sony had with PS2.

That's why I always say that this Microsoft does not need to be sad if PS5 will outsold Series X/S. Because it will. Their main focus should be to narrow a gap. Which is currently happening.
If Series X/S will sold 70+ million consoles, Microsoft can be happy even if PS5 will sell 110 millions. Because that's the sing that they successfully overcome Xbox One gen and that Xbox brand still has strenght.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
That makes me and Phil about even on the "no receipts thing", then. Cool it on the straw man arguments, because you don't need to be fraudulent to not be transparent about the entire truth.
One is a CEO of a publicly traded company, with legal obligations to report profitability and losses to their investors and taxation regulators, who has explained their business is profitable in a published interview.
The other is a forum dweller who believes a USD$2.2 trillion-dollar company is fraudulently declaring its profitability status for brownies points in the Console Wars with the source of "my ass".
If you think your ramblings are on par with Spencer's statements, then we've found the straw man.

And you're back to calling Spencer and Nadella liars, as well as other members of this board, who are in a position to know such things, when you're literally just lying about documented facts.

If you don't have anything meaningful to add other than these fucking insane accusations, we're done with this joke of an exchange.

One is a CEO of a publicly traded company, with legal obligations to report profitability and losses to their investors and taxation regulators, who has explained their business is profitable in a published interview.

He’s under no obligation to consider dev costs under the loss side of GP

The other is a forum dweller who believes a USD$2.2 trillion-dollar company is fraudulently declaring

Nah, that’s you making the claim because you can’t think critically enough to understand there’s far more nuance that goes into it and where there’s no obligation for MS to holistically detail

And you're back to calling Spencer and Nadella liars

No, I read the statements by Phil. Wondering whether the business can be viable is not the same thing as seriously considering cutting it at any moment in time.

If you don't have anything meaningful to add other than these fucking insane accusations, we're done with this joke of an exchange.

We’re done here because all you can do is throw out childish insults and straw man arguments and lack the capability of analyzing anything beyond surface level

If Series X/S will sold 70+ million consoles, Microsoft can be happy even if PS5 will sell 110 millions. Because that's the sing that they successfully overcome Xbox One gen and that Xbox brand still has strenght.

That’s great and all if they can manage that, but it’s a separate discussion from whether or not that should still be judged as great leadership by Phil or merely average expectations. Their huge buying spree of devs should guarantee that level of success, but I won’t credit Phil for buying Activision when he’s literally been given the gift of blank checks to buy large swaths of the industry to cover up a decade worth of failures

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
For one, Phil Spencer is a legit gamer while Jim Ryan couldn't give a shit about games.
Phil Spencer is an actual developer. He has helped develop games, so he knows the industry 10 times more than Jim Ryan does.

It had just performed what will go down in history as the worst product release in history.
They had just let their biggest and most successful studio walk away for nothing.
It was a shit show.
He then had to go into MS HQ and vindicate to the brass that Xbox should be continued and infact invested in.
Remember there was a number of influential stakeholders who were calling for the xbox to be shut down.
Jim Ryan walked into a super successful company with the dominant position in the industry. Most of what he has done has been negative.
It's a no brainer.
Plus, Phil is pretty.

Why don't you just use facts? Jim Ryan is part of Sony Computer Entertainment since the start of PlayStation (1994). Phil didn't join Xbox from the start and was employee for some other Windows software products. Saying he knows the industry 10 times more or better is rather exaggerated and also nonsense it seems to me.

G Godot25

Bullshited everybody with "We believe in generations" statements

It's not bullshit lol. It just looks like everyone is talking inside an echo chamber these days. It had nothing to do with games in general. People completely ignored the context around it:

"We have always said that we believe in generations," he answered, touting a line that many other Sony execs would repeat in the lead up to the PS5's launch. "We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features. [...] It is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

This is the full statement.

Phil Spencer might be a great guy in real life, same as Jim. But the problem with him and his other colleagues who like to act like childs sometimes on twitter, are trying way to hard to convince the xbox community that they still exist, and also tries hard to be likeable. He does not deliver.

If he were to leave at Xbox it would be a much harder blow to Xbox when it happens at PlayStation.

Last edited:

drganon

It was a shit show.
It's a no brainer.
Plus, Phil is pretty.
De6j0dq.gif

Godot25

Banned
That’s great and all if they can manage that, but it’s a separate discussion from whether or not that should still be judged as great leadership by Phil or merely average expectations. Their huge buying spree of devs should guarantee that level of success, but I won’t credit Phil for buying Activision when he’s literally been given the gift of blank checks to buy large swaths of the industry to cover up a decade worth of failures
Counterargument is, that without Spencer there would probably be no Xbox. Because he presented a vision, that ultimately convinced Nadella that they not only will stay in gaming business, but they will also start to invest more money. Which directly resulted in Spencer getting a promotion inside of Microsoft.

There is not enough talk about times, when Xbox was under Windows division inside Microsoft. And chief of that division was Terry Myerson who constantly underfunded Xbox division which directly lead to barren first-party output. Spencer is the man responsible for taking Xbox outside of Windows division and now Xbox is treated as a separate entity.

So yeah. Spencer need to get a credit. But most people will only look at "Jesus, Microsoft did not have AAA first-party game in 2022" without context and then they think that Ryan is better exec than Spencer. What is better than convincing your boss, that you should spend almost 80 billion dollars in 2 years to get you new toys?

Godot25

Banned
It's not bullshit lol. It just looks like everyone is talking inside an echo chamber these days. It had nothing to do with games in general. People completely ignored the context around it:
Please. Even if you look at a whole quote it directly implies, that when you start new gen, you should throw everything first-party related behind that console and only that console. And of course, people on the internet took it at face value especially since few months before that they almost crucified Matt Booty (XGS chief) for saying, that they expect 1-2 years cross-gen period. So Ryan knew what he was doing when he said that.

Jesus. They even announced bunch of first-party games at first PS5 event where they "forget" to tell everybody that games like Forbidden West, GT7 and Miles Morales will also come to PS4. Geee, I wonder why.

And tbh. I think that they planned to get behind PS5 first-party wise. But that plan was scrapped after they found out that they would not be able to migrate people fast enough to next-gen (which was their plan from the beginning) due to COVID and tough production of new consoles. Even fact, that until HFW they did not have policy in place that managed if next-gen upgrade in cross-gen games would be paid or free should tell you that much.

So yeah. I stand by my statement that Ryan "bulshitted" everybody with "We believe in generations" statement. Because it is not about that sentence alone. But about what they have done in leadup to PS5 generation regarding cross-gen games.

Top Bottom