• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In your honest opinion, who is the better gaming company leader? Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan?

Who is the better gaming leader?

• Phil Spencer

Votes: 201 48.9%
  • Jim Ryan

Votes: 156 38.0%
  • Doug Bowser

Votes: 54 13.1%

• Total voters

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sorry, but I would not change Spencer for Ryan like...ever.

I know that both of them are business executives, but at least Spencer is building something from "ruins" that execs before him left. Ryan just inherited well oiled machine and he still manages to do some really dumb decisions.

Every Sony fan who is claiming that they would not change Ryan for Spencer are just lying to themselves. Imagine pro-consumer moves like free next-gen upgrades, Smart delivery, expansion to more devices etc. with established studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, SSM etc.
I honestly would not trade Jim Ryan for Phil Spencer because I haven't seen that Phil can bring out the same caliber of games consistently

Godot25

Banned
Every pro consumer moves are happening due to Xbox being last on the console market. PlayStation was also pro consumer during the early ps4 days. It has nothing to do with who’s in charge lmao.
It has to do everything with who is in charge. Because (I know it is a shocker) - top brass is deciding how consumer friendly company is :).
Spencer made (or allowed to make) slew of products and policies, that did not mattered for a business as a whole as much. Like X360 back compat, Adaptive Controller, FPS Boost, backward/forward compatibility with accessories for consoles.

Meanwhile Ryan jacked up prices of consoles, lead the charge to increase price of games, made first-party next-gen upgrades paid. That should tell you all.

Godot25

Banned
I honestly would not trade Jim Ryan for Phil Spencer because I haven't seen that Phil can bring out the same caliber of games consistently
You mean from the studios, Ryan inherited from previous execs?
I mean. It's clearly so hard to have well oiled first-party studios that was left for you. All you have to do is step away and let them do their job. (/s)
It's certainly harder then building whole first-party basically from ground up, right? (remember, that in time Spencer took a job of head of Xbox, platform had 5 first-party studios)

Last edited:

pasterpl

Jim runs market leader and is looking for new revenue opportunities, keep growing playstation brand to be even bigger and he is quite successful st doing it.
Phil got FUBAR Xbox situation and managed to save the brand and do 180, making Xbox competitive again.

Both are doing good job for their companies, but I think Phil had much harder challenge. So I vote phil.

SSfox

I'm not even that big of a fan of Jimbo (i always liked him tho when he was in his original post pre-PS5, and for sure i like him much more than Hermen the PC fanboy), but still gotta vote for him here easily. The last state of play saved his ass tbh, much more promising stuffs for PS5 in 2023 than just Spiderman 2.

Also Phil is a joke, no matter the poll i can's see myself vote for this bunch of lies clown, he had many years on Xbox and billions of $ and never delivered anything that was interesting to me.

Doug is OK, he's just keep doing on what Nintendo been doing since a while now.

Phil Spencer does well garnering the hearts of gamers. However I can still see right through his true intentions.
Jim Ryan does a lot worse in the eyes of most gamers. But does this automatically mean he's a worse manager?

I don't think so, if Jim Ryan has the money backing him like Phil does, I'm pretty sure Jim Ryan can do a better job than Phil.

Why? With way less money he's:

• Strengthening Playstation's multi-player scene
  • Making extreme efforts at broadening the brands with tv shows
  • Making sure all studios learn from each other
  • Tackled development pretty well during covid times with sending remote recording stations to voice actors for example
  • Made an effort strengthening PSN with tiers (even though I think his strategy wasnt executed that well)
  • Set up a Playstation loyalty program
  • Creating more attention for fighting games by setting up tournaments
  • Made a good effort trying to cultivate Chinese game development studios
  • Making PS a more global brand with global synchronized marketing
  • Trying to strengthen PS' position by entering the mobile space (good move for the company even though I myself hate this idea)
  • Strengthening ties in meaningful ways with studios outside of Playstation

Whereas Phil:

• Wins gamers hearts by making its products cheaper and more accessible
  • Buys a shit ton of studios and big publishers
  • Make sure that Gamepass is well marketed
  • Trying to get Gamepass integrated into tv's
Half these points arent well thought out strategic moves, but about splashing as much money out as possible. And STILL the only AAA good game they've released this year is Forza.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Bro phil spencer got really fat now im surprised to see him like this he used to be pretty slim he needs to hit the gym asap

Thebonehead

Banned
f17.gif
bananas dole GIF

ZehDon

Why? With way less money he's:

• Strengthening Playstation's multi-player scene
  • Making extreme efforts at broadening the brands with tv shows
  • Making sure all studios learn from each other
  • Tackled development pretty well during covid times with sending remote recording stations to voice actors for example
  • Made an effort strengthening PSN with tiers (even though I think his strategy wasnt executed that well)
  • Set up a Playstation loyalty program
  • Creating more attention for fighting games by setting up tournaments
  • Made a good effort trying to cultivate Chinese game development studios
  • Making PS a more global brand with global synchronized marketing
  • Trying to strengthen PS' position by entering the mobile space (good move for the company even though I myself hate this idea)
  • Strengthening ties in meaningful ways with studios outside of Playstation
Your list consists almost entirely of Ryan "strengthening", "expanding", and "broadening" initiatives started by his predecessors. He inherited a very profitable company and he's... not really doing much except raising the prices and focusing on GaaS?

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
NuGAF really is an Xbox site judging from these poll results.

The secret correct answer is actually Tim Apple.

[/URL]
I don't think so. GAF has preference towards PlayStation. Which is not that shocking, since PlayStation is generally more popular platform.

It's just that even some Sony/PS fans don't like Jimbo. And I can't blame them. There are several threads in last few years along the lines "Jimbo needs to go" etc.

Hobbygaming

You mean from the studios, Ryan inherited from previous execs?
I mean. It's clearly so hard to have well oiled first-party studios that was left for you. All you have to do is step away and let them do their job. (/s)
It's certainly harder then building whole first-party basically from ground up, right? (remember, that in time Spencer took a job of head of Xbox, platform had 5 first-party studios)
Yeah circumstances and all but I need to see results. It has been what 8 years since he took over?

I know they have bought some things but can they get better at getting software out is what I'm talking about

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Your list consists almost entirely of Ryan "strengthening", "expanding", and "broadening" initiatives started by his predecessors. He inherited a very profitable company and he's... not really doing much except raising the prices and focusing on GaaS?
As long as we're still getting great single player games then there's no problem

Also one thing to consider is that most people think multiplayer only when Sony says they're making some Gaas games

Deviation Games have confirmed that their game will have a campaign, it could be one of the Gaas games since it's a FPS

If some of these other Gaas games have full SP campaigns then we're good

Godot25

Banned
Yeah circumstances and all but I need to see results. It has been what 8 years since he took over?
Results are already here. You just chose to ignore them because "muh exclusives." Today there is no reason to buy PlayStation 5 outside "I want to play Sony first party games." Which is powerful reason, don't get me wrong (outside of fact, that you can play all those games on PC, just tad later), but Xbox under Spencer has cheaper and more powerful console, better services (outside Games With Gold, where Sony is clearly ahead), better policies in terms of cross-gen games, and more consumer friendly face and more flexible ecosystem. That all is directly tied to Spencer and his "rule."

First-party games are literally last remaining piece. And I agree, that they should already be here. I don't want to say "games are coming" because at this point it is just stupid. But I mean....Xbox has 5 announced first-party games for first half of 2023 (6 if we count Diablo IV after ActiBlizz deal) which literally starts next month. So it's not like there is not great perspective in future, right?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Phil Spencer, easily. Give the man the award already!
Phil isn't your homie! None of the Kats are. But, no one can deny the work he has put in to save the Xbox brand. My dude literally got Microsoft to invest multiple billions of dollars in dev houses and talent. Seems like he's getting an award for something at least once a month, for crying out loud!

Ol' Jim Bo is trying to stave off anxiety attacks over this ABK deal. Crazy. Shit is crazy ..

ZehDon

As long as we're still getting great single player games then there's no problem

Also one thing to consider is that most people think multiplayer only when Sony says they're making some Gaas games

Deviation Games have confirmed that their game will have a campaign, it could be one of the Gaas games since it's a FPS

If some of these other Gaas games have full SP campaigns then we're good
Sure, but keep in mind: Destiny has campaigns, and they run the gauntlet of "fucking terrible" to "actually not too bad". Sony didn't spend billions on Bungie to assist in their shifting focus on GaaS to... change absolutely nothing. They're changing things. They'll still make games like God of War, but GaaS is more about reoccurring revenue streams, less about meaningful single player experiences.

makaveli60

I wanted to vote Phil Spencer but chose Jim Ryan accidentally. Jim Ryan inherited a very succesful business driven by the “4theplayers” attitude which he killed. So he’s the worst for me.

Hobbygaming

Sure, but keep in mind: Destiny has campaigns, and they run the gauntlet of "fucking terrible" to "actually not too bad". Sony didn't spend billions on Bungie to assist in their shifting focus on GaaS to... change absolutely nothing. They're changing things. They'll still make games like God of War, but GaaS is more about reoccurring revenue streams, less about meaningful single player experiences.
We'll see but I think some of these games will have both a strong campaign to go with the multiplayer

PhaseJump

Banned
Phil Spencer deserves more praise than he gets.

If only for sustaining the eldritch x-powered high tech containment forcefield at Microsoft HQ, which clearly keeps Greenberg from destroying us all.

Hobbygaming

Results are already here. You just chose to ignore them because "muh exclusives." Today there is no reason to buy PlayStation 5 outside "I want to play Sony first party games." Which is powerful reason, don't get me wrong (outside of fact, that you can play all those games on PC, just tad later), but Xbox under Spencer has cheaper and more powerful console, better services (outside Games With Gold, where Sony is clearly ahead), better policies in terms of cross-gen games, and more consumer friendly face and more flexible ecosystem. That all is directly tied to Spencer and his "rule."

First-party games are literally last remaining piece. And I agree, that they should already be here. I don't want to say "games are coming" because at this point it is just stupid. But I mean....Xbox has 5 announced first-party games for first half of 2023 (6 if we count Diablo IV after ActiBlizz deal) which literally starts next month. So it's not like there is not great perspective in future, right?
Power is a moot point as they're very close. We'll wait to see how 2023 pans out but I'm not excusing their output

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Power is a moot point as they're very close. We'll wait to see how 2023 pans out but I'm not excusing their output
Console gamers bragging about power will never not be funny considering console gamers don't really get a choice in how it's used.

"My plastic box is more powerful than yours! Look at the performance mode! Now look at fidelity mode!"

HTK

Banned
Phil Spencer so far has been great at appearing to be a great leader, hasn't really delivered much. Jim Ryan is not keen on social media or being out there like Phil is but has delivered more for the PS5 then Phil has for the Series X...?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Both are shit pr dudes.

That china hero project though is going to be huge. Plus the 2 new Asian studios and another territory I can't talk about is going to propel playstations global market.

I voted Papa Phil but it’s a hard thing to really quantify because all three are in such different positions in the industry. Like what would Ryan do at MS to recover the brand from the Mattrick days? If Spencer took over at Nintendo, what would he do?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Jim Ryan already vanquished GamePass and y'all don't even recognize it yet.

Jim Ryan is lightyears ahead of Spencer in terms of leadership. Turning PlayStation into a modern multiplayer centric company is the boldest strategic decision we've ever seen.

Phil Spencer got Nadella to open up the checkbook. That's not nothing but it's less Alexander the Great (Jim Ryan) and more My Super Sweet 16.

//DEVIL//

Phil spencer.

Jim Ryan is a business man. PS was in good position when he got the business.

Phil on other hand had sinking xbox handed to him. Fixed that, and its on good position.

TLDR.

Jim Ryan is elevating a good PS business to a higher degree.

Phil Spencer made Xbox good for everyone. Just need to work on game output.
Your TLDR is longer than your explanation lol

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I wanted to vote Phil Spencer but chose Jim Ryan accidentally. Jim Ryan inherited a very succesful business driven by the “4theplayers” attitude which he killed. So he’s the worst for me.
Yup. I’ve skipped PlayStation this gen. The PS5 will be the first PlayStation I don’t buy. Including handhelds. I think he’s been awful, but has the luxury of being the head of an already well oiled machine. PlayStation would be better without him.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Phil by a mile. I love all the moves he's made for Xbox gamers. Great BC Compat on so many games I love and still get to play many with big improvements. Obviously, Game Pass, the best deal in gaming™. Making acquisitions of my favorite studios (except A/B/K) and genres. I personally much prefer Xbox games to Sony and Nintendo.

Ryan's never-ending whining, demands, and attitude of entitlement about Activision is just embarrassing.

CatLady CatLady is not going to be happy with you.

Shocked Uh Oh GIF
My cat voted for ryan.

Arioco

Spencer at least seems to enjoy what he's doing for a living and loves gaming. Ryan sells consoles the same way he would sell washing machines if SONY paid him to do it. Maybe I'm wrong but the guy looks to me like he's never, EVER, played a videogame.

But on the other hand I don't like too much some of Spencer's policies and I think he's been kind of... neglectful when it comes to first party support. He puts a lot of effort and attention on the hardware and still somehow he manages to neglect the software. Which may be what he's trying to fix by buying Activision, of course.

Phil Spencer. I don't care about stock prices or how well a person is viewed by his shareholders and it kind of weirds me out how those things are so important to so many here. I am a consumer and so are all of you, so therefore I care about what they do for me, and Phil Spencer makes gaming better for me personally. Next to zero of the PS exclusives serve any interest to me, would much rather play online co-op games like Sea of Thieves or Forza Horizon, etc. Playing online is how I bond with a lot of my friends now that I'm older and we all moved away from one another. When I game I seldom look for some riveting single player experience (unless its one of my tentpole SP games like GTA or Bethesda stuff). If I want that, I will watch a critically acclaimed television show or movie. When I game, the goal for me is to have fun and share that with others, and Xbox under Phil Spencer has that model down pat.

Last edited:
Phil is a clown, a fake gamer and he is more of a PR person than anything.

He made gaming about other stuff than games. I mean, we used to argue about Halo vs Uncharted, Gears vs GoW, etc.

Now it's GoW:R vs Gamepass + controller hoodies.

That has to be the worst GAMING personality that ever existed.

Jim Ryan is just the regular suited up exec. and he said the most important thing about games: We want to make culturally relevant games.

Just for that he deserves an award and my respect.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Ryan is a capital cunt and has sucked all the fun out of Sony's PR, and made them nickle and dimers, though the games are still delivering, for now.

Phil talks a good game but MS's game output under his leadership has been pretty shambolic.

Top Bottom