• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISee

PARTS!

I´m soooooo excited ;)

zYk197k.jpg

That explains the FM part in your name I guess :)
I have no idea what that is (besides the opbvious pc parts) but from to look of it you might be controlling something that could fly into space *g*. I'm also a bit disappointed because of the water bottle, I expected Champagne.

GlamFM

Banned
Wow can you detail your audio gear?

Most of the stuff you´re seeing I´m not actually using anymore. Clients expect to see a lot of gear when they visit their composer - that´s why it´s there.

It used to be 3x that, but most of it is in the basement now.

4EpWoMM.png

This is what I actually work with:

y09PBnP.png

zxbTQ0o.png

;)

That explains the FM part in your name I guess :)
I have no idea what that is (besides the opbvious pc parts) but from to look of it you might be controlling something that could fly into space *g*. I'm also a bit disappointed because of the water bottle, I expected Champagne.

I do have a lot of Gin here though!

GAF, I have a G-Sync monitor and I wanted to know if the higher framerate variance observed with i5 CPUs compared to i7-CPUs (ab bit technical, I know) is less perceiptable with it ?

In short : should the action on screen be as smooth with an i5 as with an i7-CPU with G.Sync enabled ?

I already have en entry level 4k monitor (VX2475Smhl) but i don't really use it for gaming. (Someone offered it to me for Xmas).

For gaming i prefer my benQ 120hz but he is only 1080p so i would like to buy a 1440p/144hz gaming monitor so if you have any advices, they will be welcomed.

I already have en entry level 4k monitor (VX2475Smhl) but i don't really use it for gaming. (Someone offered it to me for Xmas).

For gaming i prefer my benQ 120hz but he is only 1080p so i would like to buy a 1440p/144hz gaming monitor so if you have any advices, they will be welcomed.

What's your budget? What video card and CPU do you have?

The CPU is 2600K@4.5ghz, the GPU will be 1080 or 1070.

Budget for the monitor between 400 and 500€.

I don't know what the prices are like in your local market, but maybe look at the Acer XB271HU or the Asus PG279Q. They are both 1440p/144 (or 165 Hz now I guess) and IPS + Gsync.

edit: you could also keep an eye out for the predecessor, the XB270HU. Only thing with these fancy panels is that sometimes they have problems... so it's best to purchase from a retailer where you can easily exchange/return it if you run into issues.

I don't know what the prices are like in your local market, but maybe look at the Acer XB271HU or the Asus PG279Q. They are both 1440p/144 (or 165 Hz now I guess) and IPS + Gsync.

edit: you could also keep an eye out for the predecessor, the XB270HU. Only thing with these fancy panels is that sometimes they have problems... so it's best to purchase from a retailer where you can easily exchange/return it if you run into issues.

Ok maybe my budget is not enough then 'cause the predecessor is at 650€ here and the other two at 800€.

PARTS!

I´m soooooo excited ;)

zYk197k.jpg

I went against the advice I got in this thread (sry guys..) and got that same motherboard. Have to say I'm really happy with it especially at the price I got it for. The only downside for me was usb ports on it's i/o, but it has two internal 3.0 usb hookups for case ports and I already had a pci-e usb card for the Oculus Rift that I was using anyway. I really like the simple layout and the pulsing audio light thing that lines the left side of the motherboard.

Been a while since I've had an ASUS board but I'm impressed.

GlamFM

Banned
I went against the advice I got in this thread (sry guys..) and got that same motherboard. Have to say I'm really happy with it especially at the price I got it for. The only downside for me was usb ports on it's i/o, but it has two internal 3.0 usb hookups for case ports and I already had a pci-e usb card for the Oculus Rift that I was using anyway. I really like the simple layout and the pulsing audio light thing that lines the left side of the motherboard.

Been a while since I've had an ASUS board but I'm impressed.

Coolio.

BTW. The golden, round ASUS "thing" is slightly scratched. Should I send it back or is this just the way it is?

When should I start looking at overclocking? Have an i5-6600k with 212 EVO. Getting 1080/60 mostly max on everything, maybe dropping shadows to high or something. I don't feel I need it now but would ramping it up to say, 4.4ghz help much?

GlamFM

Banned
I´m still searching for a nice looking cable kit.

This look:

Oton84c.jpg

83€ seems like a lot.

Are there cheaper alternatives out there?

Or maybe PSUs that come with nice cables out of the box?

ISee

When should I start looking at overclocking? Have an i5-6600k with 212 EVO. Getting 1080/60 mostly max on everything, maybe dropping shadows to high or something. I don't feel I need it now but would ramping it up to say, 4.4ghz help much?

Most games don't need it (not really) but you spent the extra money to get a k model in the first place so put it to use (at least that's my motto).

Push it maybe to 4.0 or 4.2 ghz.

I do have a lot of Gin here though!

That's even better.

GlamFM

Banned
550w PSU enough or do I need some more headroom?

EDIT: Will actually get a 1080, but pcpartpicker wont let me pick one, yet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€341.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€159.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€109.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€182.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€135.70 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (€650.55 @ Mindfactory)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€84.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (€99.78 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1764.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-18 14:56 CEST+0200

ISee

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€341.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€159.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€182.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€135.70 @ Amazon Deutschland)

A good 550W PSU should be more than enough.

neoemonk

How risky is the EVGA step up program? I've been thinking about grabbing a 970 right now and then stepping up to the 1070/1080 when they become available. A 970 would still be a large upgrade for me right now.

My concern is that they don't make the new cards available in time, but that would defeat the purpose of the step up program.

XenoRaven

Monitor question. I CTRL+F'd "monitor" and "display" for the last few pages and didn't see any discussion about this, so please forgive me if this has been done to death.

A friend of mine is in the market for new PC stuff and really wants a 4K/G-Sync monitor. The options are fairly limited right now and he's looking at the Acer XB280HK. Is it worth going 4K/G-Sync right now? Should he wait a year to see if the market expands a little bit? Would it be better to go with a 1440p monitor like the ASUS ROG for now?

Onaco

I'm planning on making updates/building a new PC in anticipation for a 1080 (though I might go for a 1070 if the Founders Editions overstay their welcome, as I would rather pay $600 instead of $700 for a GPU).

Some parts are older, but will be reused.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Reusing from old build)
  • CPU COOLER: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card -> 1070 or 1080 (Depending on price and how long the wait will be for non-FE cards)
  • MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Reusing from old build)
  • RAM: 32GB (Overkill, but I do more than game with this -- Reusing from old build)
  • CASE: Diablotek CYCLOPS ATX Mid Tower Case -> NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
  • SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -> Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • HDDs: 3 Additional HDDs to total around 6.5TBs (Again, I do video capture, editing, and have a lot of Steam games -- obviously reusing these from my old build).
  • Reusing my PSU. I don't remember the exact details, but I believe it was at 500W and was non-modular. I might upgrade this, but it's not totally necessary.
  • Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

I'm mainly concerned about the case and cable management. I want an Orange and Black color scheme design, if possible. My friend is mainly pushing me to get the Full Tower, since wiring would be easier, but I'm losing portability. Would a smaller case be possible with these components while still having decent cable management?

I'm also interested in cooling solutions. Since I want to be recording/streaming audio next to it, I want this thing to be quiet, and cooled. The stock fans I've heard are decent on the NZXT Phantom 820 case, but I wanted to know if this is absolutely the case to go with. I'm torn between wanting something portable, but also need something that can have extra bells and whistles, should I ever need to add more.

Are there any better cases, parts, or other suggestions, GAF?

Onaco

bequiet! has black and orange cases, check them out.

Hah. That's the case I suggested to my friend who wanted a similar, but smaller design. It actually made me want it, too. I heard there's a window side panel you can buy for that one, which is nice. The reason I asked Gaf was to avoid copying that one.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of buying the Geforce 1080 or the AMD equivalent this summer, but im wondering how much the rest of my pc will bottleneck the GPU? Have a i5 3570k at 4.1 ghz and 8gb of 1600 mhz, going to play at 1440p. Any insights?

Thinking of buying the Geforce 1080 or the AMD equivalent this summer, but im wondering how much the rest of my pc will bottleneck the GPU? Have a i5 3570k at 4.1 ghz and 8gb of 1600 mhz, going to play at 1440p. Any insights?

Should be fine, 1440p with a single GPU means you are pretty GPU constrained generally. PC Per did a test not too long ago and showed that your CPU is more important with a single GPU at 1080p or SLI at 1440p (which I guess is kind of obvious, but it was cool to see it quantified).

I think you'll get great performance, and then whenever you upgrade to skylake or kaby lake you'll get even more performance and more consistent frametimes.

...I think I'm going to go back to Windows 7 when I make my PC build. Performance in games has been markedly worse in Windows 10 compared to how games were running on my PC in Windows 7 no matter what I do, and my tests thus far indicate it's a CPU bottleneck (Getting the same framerate at 4k as I do at 1080p means that, right?) that simply wasn't there before I upgraded a year ago.

As like, one final last-ditch effort, does anyone know if there's anything in Windows 10 that is particularly CPU intensive that I can disable? Already disabled Cortana, and no dice there.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Should be fine, 1440p with a single GPU means you are pretty GPU constrained generally. PC Per did a test not too long ago and showed that your CPU is more important with a single GPU at 1080p or SLI at 1440p (which I guess is kind of obvious, but it was cool to see it quantified).

I think you'll get great performance, and then whenever you upgrade to skylake or kaby lake you'll get even more performance and more consistent frametimes.

Alright, thank you for the insights!

I need some help. Picking monitors is absurdly hard, recommending one is even worse.

21:9, 1440p, 4k, G-Sync + 1440p, or 21:9 1440p? With a monitor budget of $750, what would you all recommend with a new GTX 1080? He has his PC more or less built but trying to figure out a monitor is crazy tough. I have a 1440p G-Sync and love it, but man those 21:9 monitors looks amazing

e90Mark

I need some help. Picking monitors is absurdly hard, recommending one is even worse.

21:9, 1440p, 4k, G-Sync + 1440p, or 21:9 1440p? With a monitor budget of $750, what would you all recommend with a new GTX 1080? He has his PC more or less built but trying to figure out a monitor is crazy tough. I have a 1440p G-Sync and love it, but man those 21:9 monitors looks amazing

We'll probably start seeing 21:9 144 with adaptive sync soon this year.

Onemic

What happens if you go below 40FPS with a gsync monitor?

JonCha

So I made a post a few pages ago debating whether to use the EVGA Hadron or the Node 304. Both of these cases look fine but I wasn't sold on either of them. I searched around a bit and came across the Silverstone RVZ02B. My build for this is as follows:

• Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz

[*]Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler

[*]Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard

[*]Kingston FURY 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory]

[*]Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

[*]Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

[*]Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card

[*]Silverstone RVZ02B-W HTPC Case

[*]Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

I'm not sure if the power supply is enough due to the size of the case; 291W is the projected power output on PCPartPicker.

The price is £873, too. I wanted to get this down to around £800 but I'm not sure what can be exchanged here.

I'd appreciate some advice on both points in particular and how I could make this build more effective. What's important to me is getting 60 FPS reliably with everything almost maxed out (or very, very high at least), as I want this experience to be better than consoles.

Thanks again.

LilJoka

So I made a post a few pages ago debating whether to use the EVGA Hadron or the Node 304. Both of these cases look fine but I wasn't sold on either of them. I searched around a bit and came across the Silverstone RVZ02B. My build for this is as follows:

[*]Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler

[*]Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard

[*]Kingston FURY 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory]

[*]Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

[*]Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

[*]Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card

[*]Silverstone RVZ02B-W HTPC Case

[*]Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

I'm not sure if the power supply is enough due to the size of the case; 291W is the projected power output on PCPartPicker.

The price is £873, too. I wanted to get this down to around £800 but I'm not sure what can be exchanged here.

I'd appreciate some advice on both points in particular and how I could make this build more effective. What's important to me is getting 60 FPS reliably with everything almost maxed out (or very, very high at least), as I want this experience to be better than consoles.

Thanks again.

Fine build, but a couple of suggesstions.
Just get 2x8GB 3000Mhz now. Running a single DIMM means single channel, meaning 1/2 the bandwidth of every memory bench you see, that will impact greatly on Skylake. By the time 16GB is not enough, DDR4 will be so cheap you can just swap out for 2x16GB 3000Mhz.

Are you sure you want to buy a GTX 970 when the GTX 1070 will be faster for a little bit more money and a lot less TDP - especially beneficial in this case.

Do not buy that SSD. Get something from Crucial or Samsung, anything. Kingston released these SSDs and they were worse than their predecessors.

JonCha

Fine build, but a couple of suggesstions.
Just get 2x8GB 3000Mhz now. Running a single DIMM means single channel, meaning 1/2 the bandwidth of every memory bench you see, that will impact greatly on Skylake. By the time 16GB is not enough, DDR4 will be so cheap you can just swap out for 2x16GB 3000Mhz.

Are you sure you want to buy a GTX 970 when the GTX 1070 will be faster for a little bit more money and a lot less TDP - especially beneficial in this case.

Do not buy that SSD. Get something from Crucial or Samsung, anything. Kingston released these SSDs and they were worse than their predecessors.

Thanks for this. I've put the edited build below.

Fair points on the SSD and memory - I was skimping on the former - but the price with the revised build below is over £900. I didn't want to pay that much really - and the 1070 is obviously going to be more expensive than the 970.

I don't really know how to reduce the cost of this build. Maybe a cheaper cooler, like one from the spreadsheet? Is there a cheaper motherboard out there for a mITX?

• Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
  • Silverstone RVZ02B-W HTPC Case
  • Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Edit: I guess I could buy some of the cheaper parts this month and spread the cost that way. That's better, but obviously if the cost can be brought down that'd be a bonus.

Vuze

Fair points on the SSD and memory - I was skimping on the former - but the price with the revised build below is over £900. I didn't want to pay that much really - and the 1070 is obviously going to be more expensive than the 970.

I don't really know how to reduce the cost of this build. Maybe a cheaper cooler, like one from the spreadsheet? Is there a cheaper motherboard out there for a mITX?

Edit: I guess I could buy some of the cheaper parts this month and spread the cost that way. That's better, but obviously if the cost can be brought down that'd be a bonus.

ASRock H170M-ITX/ac (built-in wifi+bt) and ASRock H170M-ITX/DL (same model, no wireless card) are cheaper from a quick search. Only other component I could think of cost cutting would be the CPU cooler. You don't really need an aftermarket model if you're not overclocking and don't care for noise or cooler temps just for the sake of it.
Could cut cost by 70ish euro bucks, not sure how pricing compares in other regions.

Canklestank

Neo Member

So, for some reason, when I try searching for PSU's on the German version of PCPartPicker, all the recommended ones are unavailable. I'd advise against the RM series though, they've been replaced by the RMx series, which is better. Or you could go with an EVGA G2. If you can manage to find one of those two, that's what I would do. Or you could spring for an RMi if you don't mind spending a bit more.

CableMod sells cable kits as well, but since your case comes with a PSU cover, extensions should be fine.

LilJoka

Don't buy wireless mice to game with =/

If you want a cheap SteelSeries product I think the Rival is the best. It's better than Razer I guess.

I should have said, i game from the sofa, so i need wireless. I have a cheap M310 logitech wireless mouse and it seems fine to me.

But im considering the logitech G602 now for £52. Seems to have a big battery life and an optical sensor.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Are the new Intels coming out within the next two months? Planning on doing a build from the ground up with something new.

LilJoka

Check prices on these coolers, might be one cheaper than the noctua.
Silverstone NT06-Pro
Noctua NH-L12
Cooler Master GeminII M4
Thermalright AXP-100 or AXP-100 Muscle
Zalman CNPS 8900

You could get away with a 450W PSU
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-st45sfg

CPU is 65W, the CPU is no more than 200W.

Are the new Intels coming out within the next two months? Planning on doing a build from the ground up with something new.

What new Intel CPUs? Broadwell-E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom