• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought a refurbished 28" 4K Samsung freesync monitor on woot for $300 about a week ago and it has 1 dead pixel. For that price, would you keep it or return it?

I bought a refurbished 28" 4K Samsung freesync monitor on woot for $300 about a week ago and it has 1 dead pixel. For that price, would you keep it or return it?

Does it annoy you? Depends on where it is I suppose.

Maybe use it for a couple days and then decide. How much is the monitor normally?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yep, it's going back. It squeals when I plug in an hdmi device.
It's hard going back my 7 year old monitor. Now that I'm back on 1080p, I don't need to buy that GTX 1080 after all :(

Trying to put together a small gaming/VR rig. How does this look?

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1080
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Power Supply: CORSAIR SF450 450W SFX 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
Case: CaseLabs Bullet BH4
Display: LG Electronics 21:9 UltraWide 34UM88-P

My girlfriend is telling me her Asus GTX 970 has only 1 8-pin PCIE slot instead of two 6-pins. I'm not over there so I can't check myself. What's going on?

What kind of screen are you going to be using? I don't know anything about VR, but someone else might ask.

My girlfriend is telling me her Asus GTX 970 has only 1 8-pin PCIE slot instead of two 6-pins. I'm not over there so I can't check myself. What's going on?

What kind of screen are you going to be using? I don't know anything about VR, but someone else might ask.
There are different models of 970, she must have one with just a single 8 pin. I don't understand the question? Look up the exact model if you need to check.

Intel® Core™ i7 - 5820K Processor
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit including downgrade rights to Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit.
Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit installed.
MSI X99S Gaming 7 System Board
16GB composed of 4- 4096MB Corsair® DDR4-2666 DIMMS
2TB 7200 RPM
250GB SATA Solid State Drive
Blu-ray / DVD±R / ±RW Drive
AMD Radeon™ R9-290X Gaming
Integrated 8 Channel HD Audio ALC1150
Wireless B/G/N + Bluetooth Combo Adapter
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
1000 Watt Corsair® RM1000 Power Supply

Good for $720+tax?

Is there another you'd recommend. I'd like to give my new build a little test. Same specs as above. Sitting at 25C idle.
Aida 64 has a trial version and is one of the most popular stress tests for CPUs. More intense tests are Intelburntest and appaws suggestion rog realbench. Intelburntest has multiple settings and the maximum setting is comparible to prime95. I used it to validate the overclock on my 6600k.

jdw_b

Hello amigos

I'm trying to add two fans to my case and I only have one spare chassis fan header....what do I need to buy? I'm not too fussed about controlling them so just 3-pin connectors are fine

LilJoka

Hello amigos

I'm trying to add two fans to my case and I only have one spare chassis fan header....what do I need to buy? I'm not too fussed about controlling them so just 3-pin connectors are fine

3 pin Y fan splitter is all you need.

Alright, I've upgraded to an i7 6700k/ASUS z170-a MB. Using a Corsair H80.

Didn't touch a thing in the BIOS; ran Prime95 and my max temps are hitting 81c. Idle, I'm sitting at 20c on average. This is at a stock turbo boost of 4.2GHz.

Is it possible the default vcore is just ridiculously high and raising the temps? I manually set a vcore of 1.25 and my temps are capping out at 71c now. Isn't that still pretty damn high for stock speeds? Was thinking I'd be hitting those temps with a pushed OC, like 4.6 or higher..

Temps seem fine for prime95. Start increasing speeds and see how it scales. Most do 4.6Ghz 1.35v.

Probably stock it's Turbo'ing all cores and therefore adds extra vcore.

Display: LG Electronics 21:9 UltraWide 34UM88-P

Lovely build and case.
If you want silence see if you can get a larger wattage SFX PSU so the fan curve is less aggressive at load.
Also may as well pick up 3000mhz cl15 ram when you are spending this much.

That will all fit in a Node 304.
You may want to get a Hyper 212+ CPU cooler as the stock one will be noisy.

You will likely need to remove the case PSU bracket (3 screws) to fit that 160mm length PSU. You may want to spend a bit more and get something modular since space will be precious in an ITX build. I recommend the Coolermaster V550 (140mm length) or if you want silence then the Corsair RM550x (160mm). Officially the case fits 140mm length PSUs, but I fit a corsair rm650x in mine with a bit of clever cable routing/zip ties and removing that PSU bracket.

GlamFM

Banned
IT`S HAPPENING!

First parts are shipping.

My first ever PC.

Super excited.

DuoKXei.png

demented

Ever since I formatted my usb flash drives to NTFS so they could handle bigger files, all the transfers hang at 5 seconds remaining for x minutes or something like that. I thought it was speed issue but it even happens for really small files, ideas? Win7

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Largely unrelated question; I've got Witcher 3 installed via Steam, but would like to install it via GOG too. I have it registered on both. Is there a way to copy my Steam installation data across to my GOG folder and simply verify and amend the files instead of downloading the whole thing all over again?

Hi guys,

I've been contemplating between upgraded my current build or having building a new one from scratch. I've decided to build a new rig myself, I'm planning on working over summer and ordering parts as I save up.

Ideally I'd like a solid future-proof build which I could upgrade myself down the years. My budget will be around £1500, including a new monitor and speakers.

Say I'd be starting to get components together from June through to August. What would people recommend?

Yahsper

Alright, I'm looking for some help building my new pc. My current rig is turning five years old and it's time for a serious upgrade.

This is my current pc:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 6 MB
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (2x4) 16 C
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 570 1024 MB
PSU: Novatech Powerstation 750 W
Case: Coolermaster 690 II
HDD: 60 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD + 500 GB HDD + 500 GB HDD

I'm planning to reuse my PSU, my case and my hard drives.

Budget: I don't want to spend more than a 1000 euro (1150 USD) on this build. Especially not if I can recycle my case, PSU and solid state/hard drives.

Main use from most to least: Gaming, General usage, Streaming in HD, video editing in Adobe Premiere. I don't do the others.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p is my current monitor and it'll be a while before I upgrade it. I want to be VR-proof though.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I just want to modernize my computer. I want the best possible combo for my budget now and I want it to last me a long time, just like my previous build lasted five years. I also want to jump in on VR as I'll be getting a Vive in the coming months. That's more important to me than being able to play The Witcher on Ultra with 120 fps.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Yup, these three:
PSU: Novatech Powerstation 750 W
Case: Coolermaster 690 II
HDD: 60 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD + 500 GB HDD + 500 GB HDD

When will you build?: In about a month. I want to put a GTX 1080 in it.

Will you be overclocking?: Nope, can't be bothered. I planned to do it with my current build when I put it together but never did. I'm not a tinkerer. I just want to put it together and have it work.

So I'm looking at this build right now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7M2c6h

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

Which would come down to just about my budget according to pcpartpicker plus the 700 dollar pricetag on the GTX1080.

What do you guys think?

My current media storage/file server needs a refresh to something really, REALLY low power and energy efficient.
This is a really old machine, the only thing I really invested in it was the HDDs throughout the years...

It runs a MSDAA copy of Windows 2008 R2.

Current specs:
- bold - stuff I want to replace
- italic - stuff I'd like to keep (to keep the costs down)

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H, rev 1.0
Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition
AC Freezer 64 Pro
2x2GB Kingmax DDR2
Fortron 350W FSP-60THNP PSU
HDDs:
- Samsung HD161HJ, 160GB
- Samsung HD501LJ, 500GB
- Seagate ST1500DL003-9VT16L, 1.5TB
- WD Elements Desktop 4TB (external via USB 3.0 PCI card)

Pioneer DVR-212 DVD/RW --> will go out
D-Link DGE-530T network card --> will go out
Antec case (similar to SLK3800B).

Any ideas what would be a good fit? A MBO+CPU+RAM+cooler combination...

Intel® Core™ i7 - 5820K Processor
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit including downgrade rights to Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit.
Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit installed.
MSI X99S Gaming 7 System Board
16GB composed of 4- 4096MB Corsair® DDR4-2666 DIMMS
2TB 7200 RPM
250GB SATA Solid State Drive
Blu-ray / DVD±R / ±RW Drive
AMD Radeon™ R9-290X Gaming
Integrated 8 Channel HD Audio ALC1150
Wireless B/G/N + Bluetooth Combo Adapter
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
1000 Watt Corsair® RM1000 Power Supply

Good for $720+tax?

bump, need to make a decision on this today

Lovely build and case.
If you want silence see if you can get a larger wattage SFX PSU so the fan curve is less aggressive at load.
Also may as well pick up 3000mhz cl15 ram when you are spending this much.

Thanks!

Is 3000MHz CL15 RAM sufficient or should I spring for DDR3600 or faster?

Hey guys, does anyone have keyboard recommendations? I have never used a mechanical keyboard so I am not sure if its worth upgrading to one (or what type I would want/like if so)? I use my PC for work and gaming, so it gets some significant use. I prefer wired.

suikodan

Largely unrelated question; I've got Witcher 3 installed via Steam, but would like to install it via GOG too. I have it registered on both. Is there a way to copy my Steam installation data across to my GOG folder and simply verify and amend the files instead of downloading the whole thing all over again?

I cannot confirm that it'll work but in GOG Galaxy, there is an option to "import" an installation. So I guess you could copy (?) the Steam version to a GOG subfolder and use import for your W3 game in GOG Galaxy to validate its installation.

While in the topic of PC performance and Witcher 3, I have a i5 2500K with a GTX 970 and I run Witcher 3 at Ultra 1080p/30fps locked. Could there be some options I could tweak to run it at 60fps without sacrifying graphic quality much?

Zeneric

I cannot confirm that it'll work but in GOG Galaxy, there is an option to "import" an installation. So I guess you could copy (?) the Steam version to a GOG subfolder and use import for your W3 game in GOG Galaxy to validate its installation.

While in the topic of PC performance and Witcher 3, I have a i5 2500K with a GTX 970 and I run Witcher 3 at Ultra 1080p/30fps locked. Could there be some options I could tweak to run it at 60fps without sacrifying graphic quality much?

Maybe try this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/37o6sl/how_i_went_from_35_fps_average_on_low_to_45/

That will all fit in a Node 304.
You may want to get a Hyper 212+ CPU cooler as the stock one will be noisy.

You will likely need to remove the case PSU bracket (3 screws) to fit that 160mm length PSU. You may want to spend a bit more and get something modular since space will be precious in an ITX build. I recommend the Coolermaster V550 (140mm length) or if you want silence then the Corsair RM550x (160mm). Officially the case fits 140mm length PSUs, but I fit a corsair rm650x in mine with a bit of clever cable routing/zip ties and removing that PSU bracket.
cheers, updated build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.89 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.79 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($198.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $900.48

OraleeWey

bump, need to make a decision on this today
Idk, that looks good to me. AFAIK, the CPU might be worse in a few games compared to other CPU's, but it has more cores. It'll perform video editing,etc much better. It's a pretty good PC for that price.

Are you going to upgrade the video card?
It'll handle 1080p 60fps very well. I had that before I upgraded it.

Surfinn

Prime stresses a CPU beyond any reasonable use case scenario. Reaching 81C is not that strange, also keep in mind it is only a small rad and single fan cooler.

Temps seem fine for prime95. Start increasing speeds and see how it scales. Most do 4.6Ghz 1.35v.

Probably stock it's Turbo'ing all cores and therefore adds extra vcore.

Thanks guys. One more question..

My CPU fan is throttling up and down pretty dramatically while it's coming out of low vcore and hitting max speeds, then shoots straight back down. This is pretty annoying. Sometimes when I'm playing a game I can hear the fan rev up quickly and return to quiet operation, literally as I'm attacking something in a video game and when I stop. Or it can happen shortly after I've played a game or done something CPU intensive and I'm trying to simply surf the web. If I'm just on the desktop and open Chrome, my fans shoot up loudly and fall back down.

I tried doing the auto fan adjustment in the BIOS which did help, but it's still very loud and distracting. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help.

Ryne

If I want to go from 2600K to 6700K, what would I need other than a new MB?

New ram as well?

My current PC is as follows:

MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (CPUSocket)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) @ 799MHz
GPU: EVGA 980Ti

So I got this G-sync monitor in preparation for a new video card... It only has a DP and my current card has none. Can I convert it to DVI and use a gimped signal (60hz at least?) until I get my new card? Won't be spending $$$ on a
active converter.

Are ASRock motherboards considered reliable? It's been awhile since I did my last build and am not familiar with the brand?

Trying to pick a Z170 mATX board but not finding many that are well reviewed from the usual suspects like Asus & Gigabyte.

Got some DDR3 ram to boost my 4670k I5 rig up by 16gb. It was pretty cheap so felt it was a good idea, especially if I get a good graphics card in the coming months. If I clock my CPU to the limit, will it last me a while longer? Or will a DDR 4 build be coming sooner than I think?

Vuze

Are ASRock motherboards considered reliable? It's been awhile since I did my last build and am not familiar with the brand?

Trying to pick a Z170 mATX board but not finding many that are well reviewed from the usual suspects like Asus & Gigabyte.
Brother and me are using ASRock for a few years now, no issues (mine is a 1150, brother has some AMD). They might not be the fanciest in any regard (looks, UEFI...), but I certainly can't complain about any reliability issues so far.

e90Mark

I've had experience with 3 ASRock motherboards and I haven't had an issue with any of them.

Didn't go with them my latest build, but I definitely would've again.

EDIT: Currently using the Z170MX from Gigabyte. I haven't had any issues, and there was a huge price delta between the VIII Gene for not a lot of difference in features.

Megabat

Yeah, mATX Z170 selection is pretty narrow. ASRock boards are pretty spotty. They make some good LGA2011 parts, but I don't know about their mainstream output.

What's your budget looking like? I remember seeing a Gigabyte Z170-D3H for $90 on Amazon recently. I don't think it's worth it to move down from there.

Edit: Sorry, I read that as "...well-reviewed except from the usual suspects..." And yeah, it is pretty rough.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
If I want to go from 2600K to 6700K, what would I need other than a new MB?

New ram as well?

My current PC is as follows:

MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (CPUSocket)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) @ 799MHz
GPU: EVGA 980Ti

You'd be replacing both the MB and RAM.

Nharox

Neo Member
I'm quite happy with my current setup but I'm in need of a new graphics card. I currently own a AMD Radeon HD7870 (2gb).

I mainly want to be able to play some existing games on Ultra (1080p) instead of High (Overwatch, Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2) and be ready for a few I'm getting in the near future (Doom, GTAV, Rise of Tomb Raider, Dark Souls 3). I also need more ports, my current card only has two and I have two monitors and a TV.

The one card I favor is the GTX 970 but I don't know if it would be smarter to wait for the GTX 1070 release or for a price drop of the GTX 970, it's currently about 300€ which would be perfect. Thoughts? I'd love to play Overwatch on Ultra next week and I need to be able to plug in more monitors but I don't want to rush this and just buy a card.

Idk, that looks good to me. AFAIK, the CPU might be worse in a few games compared to other CPU's, but it has more cores. It'll perform video editing,etc much better. It's a pretty good PC for that price.

Are you going to upgrade the video card?
It'll handle 1080p 60fps very well. I had that before I upgraded it.

I missed out. Someone already bought it. I should say the processor is overclocked to 4ghz, so from what I've seen it's on par or beats a 6700k in most benchmarks and it's x99 so would be able to use the new processors coming out. They do have another one, but it's $60 more. Still worth it? I should be able to sell the radon 290x for like $200 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom