• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
So, for some reason, when I try searching for PSU's on the German version of PCPartPicker, all the recommended ones are unavailable. I'd advise against the RM series though, they've been replaced by the RMx series, which is better. Or you could go with an EVGA G2. If you can manage to find one of those two, that's what I would do. Or you could spring for an RMi if you don't mind spending a bit more.

CableMod sells cable kits as well, but since your case comes with a PSU cover, extensions should be fine.

Thanks! RMx it is.

JonCha

ASRock H170M-ITX/ac (built-in wifi+bt) and ASRock H170M-ITX/DL (same model, no wireless card) are cheaper from a quick search. Only other component I could think of cost cutting would be the CPU cooler. You don't really need an aftermarket model if you're not overclocking and don't care for noise or cooler temps just for the sake of it.
Could cut cost by 70ish euro bucks, not sure how pricing compares in other regions.

Check prices on these coolers, might be one cheaper than the noctua.
Silverstone NT06-Pro
Noctua NH-L12
Cooler Master GeminII M4
Thermalright AXP-100 or AXP-100 Muscle
Zalman CNPS 8900

You could get away with a 450W PSU
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-st45sfg

CPU is 65W, the CPU is no more than 200W.

Thanks for both of these replies: I've added the 450W PSU and the motherboard without Wi-Fi as I've already have a dongle for my current PC.

I wear headphones when gaming so noise is not an issue for me really, so I should be fine without a cooler even with this form factor?

Vuze

Thanks for both of these replies: I've added the 450W PSU and the motherboard without Wi-Fi as I've already have a dongle for my current PC.

I wear headphones when gaming so noise is not an issue for me really, so I should be fine without a cooler even with this form factor?
Well, I wouldn't recommend not using a cooler :p
But your 6600 should come with a stock cooler (as long as it's a boxed and not a tray packaging) and while only expedient, it shouldn't be much of an issue if you really want to save the money for an aftermarket one. I also have a secondary mITX Hackintosh (i5 4570) which I run with a stock cooler. No problem aside from slight noise.

JonCha

Well, I wouldn't recommend not using a cooler :p
But your 6600 should come with a stock cooler (as long as it's a boxed and not a tray packaging) and while only expedient, it shouldn't be much of an issue if you really want to save the money for an aftermarket one. I also have a secondary mITX Hackintosh (i5 4570) which I run with a stock cooler. No problem aside from slight noise.

For the extra £30 maybe I should get the aftermarket one. The 6600 will be boxed so it will come with one, though, so maybe I'll be fine.

NMFried

So I'm building my first PC. Do you guys recommend Intel or AMD? There's obviously a cost difference, but I'm not sure which way to go.

Any advice?

Rizific

question regarding installing win10 using usb media creation tool. to get it installed without a cd/dvd drive, just boot from usb, install, then activate using the key from purchased win10 oem disc? that right?

So I'm building my first PC from scratch, but my issue is having taken my old one apart to salvage the water cooler, I've noticed on the Mobo where the 4 prongs stick out where you attach it to the CPU cooler are missing on the new board I'm getting, and for the life of me can't work out how to remove the plate from the back of the old one to stick on the new board so I can attach that cooler, it seems impossible, what can I do?

Edit: sorted it, needed pliers! Someone went to town on it!

So I'm building my first PC. Do you guys recommend Intel or AMD? There's obviously a cost difference, but I'm not sure which way to go.

Any advice?

I don't know when you want to build your pc, if this is for Q4 maybe you can wait the new AMD processor and see from there. If you need it now i think intel skylake i5 or i7 is a no brainer.

Vuze

question regarding installing win10 using usb media creation tool. to get it installed without a cd/dvd drive, just boot from usb, install, then activate using the key from purchased win10 oem disc? that right?
I activated using my Win 8.1 pro key but yeah, the other steps were exactly what I did, no hassle.

23qwerty

Oh yeah, so a few weeks ago I upgraded my PC, adding a new mobo, ram, cpu, cpu cooler.

My gtx 970's idle temps went from ~45-50 to ~60-65

Could this be attributed to the CPU heatsink being right above it when before there was nothing right above it?

wfId3l.jpg

LilJoka

For the extra £30 maybe I should get the aftermarket one. The 6600 will be boxed so it will come with one, though, so maybe I'll be fine.

Stick with the aftermarket cooler. With restricted airflow the stock one will suffer.

Oh yeah, so a few weeks ago I upgraded my PC, adding a new mobo, ram, cpu, cpu cooler.

My gtx 970's idle temps went from ~45-50 to ~60-65

Could this be attributed to the CPU heatsink being right above it when before there was nothing right above it?

Check the GPU clock speeds with gpuz or MSI afterburner or nvidia inspector. It should idle about 10c above ambient, the cor clock speed should be 135mhz. Make sure in the nvidia control panel you have the performance/power saving set to adaptive and not maximum performance.

CPU fan is positioned incorrectly. It should be attached on the right hand side of the cooler blowing to the left. Probably you have killed the exhaust flow with the current fan position causing the case temps to rise dramatically.

sgjackson

I'm considering selling my old desktop to get into a Skylake/1070 (possibly 1080) system. It has a Windows 7 license that's been upgraded to Windows 10. Is it possible to transfer that to a new user, and if so, what all would I need to do?

appaws

Banned

Any advice?

Intel for sure. Skylake i5 is fine for gaming only, i7 if you do any kind of CPU intensive work like photography or video editing.

AMD has new stuff coming. Hopefully it is going to be competitive and bring some much needed juice to the CPU market...but I have my doubts. I find it hard to believe that they can make enough of a leap with one product to bring them back into contention.

NMFried

I don't know when you want to build your pc, if this is for Q4 maybe you can wait the new AMD processor and see from there. If you need it now i think intel skylake i5 or i7 is a no brainer.

Intel for sure. Skylake i5 is fine for gaming only, i7 if you do any kind of CPU intensive work like photography or video editing.

AMD has new stuff coming. Hopefully it is going to be competitive and bring some much needed juice to the CPU market...but I have my doubts. I find it hard to believe that they can make enough of a leap with one product to bring them back into contention.

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. Already got the i5 in my cart. Now to get the other parts!

Hi everyone. I currently have 2 Dell 2412m 24" monitors. Since I am getting a 1080 I think it would be a waste to not look into getting a 2.5k or 4k monitor. G-SYNC is a little expensive for my taste. Are the monitors in OP still most recommended. Would I really see much benefit going from 2.5k to 4k in the 27-29" size range? Thanks.

23qwerty

Stick with the aftermarket cooler. With restricted airflow the stock one will suffer.

Check the GPU clock speeds with gpuz or MSI afterburner or nvidia inspector. It should idle about 10c above ambient, the cor clock speed should be 135mhz. Make sure in the nvidia control panel you have the performance/power saving set to adaptive and not maximum performance.

CPU fan is positioned incorrectly. It should be attached on the right hand side of the cooler blowing to the left. Probably you have killed the exhaust flow with the current fan position causing the case temps to rise dramatically.
Well I switched the fan to the other side, had to remove gpu and one stick of ram to do so...and now my computer won't boot. Turns on for like 10 seconds and then restarts. No display outputs. I've tried booting without the gpu and with only 1 stick of ram..

I ordered a new graphics card and am having issues.

My computer is now:

Win7 64 bit
i5-2500K (stock)
4gb ddr3 ram
650w PSU
Asus Strix GTX 970 (connected via 6pin from powersupply -> 6+2pin into GPU)

I was playing Doom last night for a couple of hours with seemingly no issues, then when I rebooted, it loaded into windows and then my monitor went black + 'no signal' after about 5 seconds. This now happens every time.

I've tried reseating the card multiple times, re-cabling everything... I just booted into safe mode (works fine), un-installed the geforce drivers and reinstalled them.. but upon booting up the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

FFMafia

Can a mid tower case house let's say an SSD and 2 HDDs with a 750 W psu and like a 980 gtx size video card? Or should I be looking into full towers for that

catabarez

I should have said, i game from the sofa, so i need wireless. I have a cheap M310 logitech wireless mouse and it seems fine to me.

But im considering the logitech G602 now for £52. Seems to have a big battery life and an optical sensor.

The g900 is awesome, if you can afford it go for that. Its comparable to a wired gaming mouse.

kuYuri

Can a mid tower case house let's say an SSD and 2 HDDs with a 750 W psu and like a 980 gtx size video card? Or should I be looking into full towers for that

Yes, plenty of mid towers can do that. Even the Corsair 100R or 200R, which are less than $60, have 2.5" and 3.5" bays, hold a 980 Ti, and can hold ATX power supplies.

FFMafia

Yes, plenty of mid towers can do that. Even the Corsair 100R or 200R, which are less than $60, have 2.5" and 3.5" bays, hold a 980 Ti, and can hold ATX power supplies.
Awesome. I would like to avoid having huge cases for no reason. Looking at a case's specifications for video card size should be enough to make sure I can fit a video card correct?

Chesskid1

Banned
so i posted in here a few days ago i bought a BenQ 2720?? which is basically a 27" 1080p 144hz TN monitor. i returned it because the viewing angles were horrible, bad colors, but gaming/144hz was damn amazing. it was $345 after tax and is currently still back on the way to its retailer.

which led to me looking for a new monitor. i really didn't like the 1080p on the benq, so i decided a 1440p/60hz IPS would be about what i could afford.

but then i discovered acer recertified.

just ordered a XB270HU, G-SYNC, 1440p, 144hz, IPS 27" for $399.99 shipped, factory refurbished.

i did some searching about acer recertified and it seems to be a pretty big lottery, but its a risk i'm willing to take. people report perfect brand new monitors arriving, and crappy ones, etc. seems to go in and out of stock though.

http://www.acerrecertified.com/monitors

So, decided as one last ditch effort to clean out my fans and redo paste.

...I've tripled my framerates in almost every game I play.

Now let's see what things look like when my Hyper 212 Evo gets here (Took a while for me to get around to ordering that lol) and I can consider OCing.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Does anyone here know a solid replacement for the G100s? I've had mine for a bit over a year now and the buttons are starting to double-click/not click at all. I really like the shape of it, and don't really need any extra buttons (or anything overly expensive). It's actually a really solid mouse overall aside from the above issues.

Does anyone here know a solid replacement for the G100s? I've had mine for a bit over a year now and the buttons are starting to double-click/not click at all. I really like the shape of it, and don't really need any extra buttons (or anything overly expensive). It's actually a really solid mouse overall aside from the above issues.

Might as well go with a G502. I've had one since release, no issue to this day.

Bloodember

Well I switched the fan to the other side, had to remove gpu and one stick of ram to do so...and now my computer won't boot. Turns on for like 10 seconds and then restarts. No display outputs. I've tried booting without the gpu and with only 1 stick of ram..

Check all your connections, something might be loose.

I need some help. Picking monitors is absurdly hard, recommending one is even worse.

21:9, 1440p, 4k, G-Sync + 1440p, or 21:9 1440p? With a monitor budget of $750, what would you all recommend with a new GTX 1080? He has his PC more or less built but trying to figure out a monitor is crazy tough. I have a 1440p G-Sync and love it, but man those 21:9 monitors looks amazing
Frankly at this stage : either wait for a 3440 x 1440 144Hz VA panel with G-Sync/FreeSync or buy an Acer Predator Z35. It's admittedly a 2560 x 1080 monitor but you don't see a big difference while gaming.

Hawk269

It has been a while since I looked into CPU's, but with newer GPU's coming on board soon and waiting for what AMD has for us, how is a i7-3930k going to be with these newer GPU's? I have it OC to 4.7 and can push it a little further since I have it under H20, but as mentioned, it has been a long time since I looked at processors and I am hoping that my CPU is easily still a viable CPU for these upcoming GPU's.

ISee

It has been a while since I looked into CPU's, but with newer GPU's coming on board soon and waiting for what AMD has for us, how is a i7-3930k going to be with these newer GPU's? I have it OC to 4.7 and can push it a little further since I have it under H20, but as mentioned, it has been a long time since I looked at processors and I am hoping that my CPU is easily still a viable CPU for these upcoming GPU's.

6 cores, 12 threads and an insane overclock. Even I think you'll be fine. :)

e90Mark

Is it worth overclocking my cpu and gpu? I use a EVGA 970 and a I5-6600k. If so anyone know a good guide?
Yes, for both. Literally "wasting" money since you buy K processors for the unlocked multiplier.

Start here - http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
Awesome. I would like to avoid having huge cases for no reason. Looking at a case's specifications for video card size should be enough to make sure I can fit a video card correct?

Full Towers are huge. Mid Towers are still big. You could get away with an mATX, and maybe even mITX.

bananas

Banned
Okay, I'm probably going to build a new PC sometime this summer, and wanted to know what you guys though about this so far:

So, right now I'm thinking of picking up a 1070 when it comes out (unless I should get a different card?).

My wants with this build were a small, but powerful PC that I can easily travel with.
I also wanted to be able to pick up another graphics card 2-3 years down the line and SLI it, hence the motherboard and power supply I chose.

I already have a 128GB SSD that I plan on putting Windows 10 (which I already own) on. This 256GB SSD would be for games and I have a 2TB HDD for files and stuff. I figured I can always buy another SSD when I run out of space.

pestul

I know it's technically not a new PC question, but can anyone recommend a dirt cheap PCI-E Graphics card for a HTPC or even server. I'm testing out a Xeon processor in an OEM board that had a H57 i3 540 cpu graphics embedded. I basically want to go as cheap as I can go lol

I'm hoping to find one locally, but so far I'm shut out. I'm in Canada btw. Cheers.

LilJoka

I know it's technically not a new PC question, but can anyone recommend a dirt cheap PCI-E Graphics card for a HTPC or even server. I'm testing out a Xeon processor in an OEM board that had a H57 i3 540 cpu graphics embedded. I basically want to go as cheap as I can go lol

I'm hoping to find one locally, but so far I'm shut out. I'm in Canada btw. Cheers.

Try an AMD 7450 or 7470 2nd hand.

Godan

Always wondered this. I have two 144hz monitors and they both run at that. I only game on one of them though so does having the other monitor set 144hz effect me when gaming?

OneUh8

New build ordered! Insanely excited
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BQBXmG

The $310 ebay deal for the 6700k pushed me to getting my first i7. Hopefully a 1080GTX will fit in this case!

Is it bad that I'm reusing my PSU and CPU cooler?

Very nice build. The only thing to watch out for in that case is the width of the GPU. I think that case will fit most any length GPU, but I remember reading complaints that some custom cooler designs being to wide and would press against the side window in that case. It's the reason I got the Node 804 was because it is wider. I didn't want to run into an issue like that.

So back in like 2012, I got a Intel Core i5-3470 from Microcenter during an awesome flash sale--it was something like $175.

Well, it seems like the CPU is dead. Mobo is giving a CPU related error, plus I've had overheating issues on and off for the past few months, which probably led to its death. 3470s seem to be going for $240 nowadays, oddly enough.

Any suggestions for a similar/equivalent LGA 1155 CPU? Amazon Warehouse has an i5-3550 for $200 right now. Good replacement?

I don't feel like replacing my mobo--maybe later this year or something, so I have to stick with LGA 1155.

jwk94

Hey GAF! I've never built a PC before and now I need one for work. I was wondering if you guys could help me build one with the case from this thread.. I hope everything i've provided helps. If you need more information, feel free to ask. Thanks! Here's the form from the OP:

Your Current Specs: I don't have a PC right now, but from what I've read, I'll need a quad-core i7 processor, 16 GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA 9xx graphics card (I'll be upgrading to the 10xx later though).

Budget: $700-$1,100 USD

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Gaming: 4
Video Editing: 5
Sreaming games in HD: 4
Basic, everyday applications (web browsing, 1080p/4k playback): 5

Monitor Resolution: Initially 1080p with an upgrade to 4K later this summer.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'll need to run the Adobe Suite, be able to edit 4K footage fluidly, and I'll need 1080/60 performance from most of today's modern games.

Looking to reuse any parts?: I don't have a previous PC...

When will you build?: Looking to start building at the beginning of June

Will you be overclocking?: Probably not

wowzors

Didn't realize e-atx uis a thing and I ordered my case already. Looks like I have to limit my x99 motherboards to atx, are those common? Or am I better off getting a new case?

Fractal r5, for reference.

Seriously considering purchasing one of those console-form Alienware Alpha machines (the non-SteamOS versions).

My desire is to play seventh generation games at max or close to max settings. Can't go back to PS3 resolutions after playing on PS4 for the past few years. For instance, I haven't done a replay of Assassin's Creed II in forever and love the footage I see of it running at high resolutions with SweetFX installed. Will I be able to accomplish this on any of the Alienware Alpha "consoles," and if so, which one?

NIN90

Any recommendations for 500GB SSDs?
I know the Samsung 850 Evo comes recommended but my last one died within a few months so I'd rather stick with something else if I have the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom