• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much It Would Cost To Build A PC As Powerful As The Xbox One X? (2019 edition)

It would be hell using a PS3 controller, i don't know how you can suggest that and call the Xbox controller mediocre.

Anyway i think we get the hate from people for the Xbox at any opportunity, so can we all go back to gaming now until you can get the 580 for £100/ $100 and i'm sure the same faces will be back.

In fact I suggested a 360 pad first and then said ps3 if you have it around, just as a last resort.
you can buy one used for that price more or less. fact is there are more people with a midrange gpu, than scorpio out there, so this sentiment that most people on pc are playing on shit rigs is just dumb.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
In fact I suggested a 360 pad first and then said ps3 if you have it around, just as a last resort.
you can buy one used for that price more or less. fact is there are more people with a midrange gpu, than scorpio out there, so this sentiment that most people on pc are playing on shit rigs is just dumb.
So what if there is or ain't. It wouldn't bother me if i had a PC, as long as i was happy with mine.

Last edited:

Knch

dual core?
i think all modern game engines are programed for multicore cpus >4
4-6 core slow clocked cpus > 2 core high clocked cpu

what about system loudness of your cheap pc? no one will a ps4 helicopter in the living room.

what cost good silent gpu like gtx1060?
what cost a upgradable motherboard?

The only thing that doesn't run well on a good dual core that I encountered before I upgraded was Far Cry 5.
AMD's included coolers are inaudible, so are any recent graphics cards.
With the euro-tax 187.5 EUR and/or more.
Cheapest AM4 motherboard is 42EUR.

So basically the article, while it's prices are a bit woozy, is technically correct that you still can't make a "better" PC in all those categories for the same price or less.

So what if there is or ain't. It wouldn't bother me if i had a PC, as long as i was happy with mine.

just that some people seem to think that most pc gamers have a shitty pc, while in reality people who own an xboxX are a very tiny minority.
90% of xbox owners are still getting 720p games, every now and then. So much for shit rigs.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
just that some people seem to think that most pc gamers have a shitty pc, while in reality people who own an xboxX are a very tiny minority.
90% of xbox owners are still getting 720p games, every now and then. So much for shit rigs.
News to me, i thought the idea of having a PC was you want or what you can afford.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

I think the point is people are shitting on the X for not being powerful enough. Then you see the majority of people saying this are running like you say "1060/970/580/590/980/390x/fury/480 gpus" shit level gpus. As powerful or less so than the X.

Unless you're running a rig that has twice the performance of the scorpio there's no need to come in here and shit on it, even then its pointless.

Unless you're running a rig that has twice the performance of the scorpio there's no need to come in here and shit on it, even then its pointless.

My main concern is that the Xbox One X has the same exact Jaguar CPU as the PS4 and the stock Xbox One, just with a higher clock speed. Also, if we are talking about games, the Xbox One X has abysmal support from Japanese developers (Aside from a few fringe cases like Capcom and Square Enix).

Games that already are at 30FPS, and aren't constrained by the GPU will be stuck at 30FPS.

You can get similar results from pairing a $150 workstation PC without a dedicated GPU with a $350 RTX 2060, and get a slightly better gaming experience than the Xbox One X (If we don't count the fact that you can access tons more games on PC, alongside actually having support from Japanese developers), minus the 4K Bluray Drive.

Only situation that I'd actually understand someone's logic getting an Xbox One X over a similarly priced PC with a midrange GPU is if you want to watch 4K Bluray movies, and can't afford to get a PC AND an Xbox One S.

Mattyp

Gold Member
My main concern is that the Xbox One X has the same exact Jaguar CPU as the PS4 and the stock Xbox One, just with a higher clock speed. Also, if we are talking about games, the Xbox One X has abysmal support from Japanese developers (Aside from a few fringe cases like Capcom and Square Enix).

Games that already are at 30FPS, and aren't constrained by the GPU will be stuck at 30FPS.

(If we don't count the fact that you can access tons more games on PC, alongside actually having support from Japanese developers), minus the 4K Bluray Drive.

Only situation that I'd actually understand someone's logic getting an Xbox One X over a similarly priced PC with a midrange GPU is if you want to watch 4K Bluray movies, and can't afford to get a PC AND an Xbox One S.

The thing is, the X is considered just a midgen refresh it doesn't need a larger CPU to break the price if it had a better CPU we would be looking at constant 60fps4K which is a next gen leap. It isn't looking to be console pushing out more than 30 fps in 4K and never was (Even though sure there is games that still do 60fps in 4K), if you want a constant 60fps instead of 30fps put it into 1080p. I've never argued there isn't a shitload of better CPU's out there over the Jaguar it's a severally old unit now.

I understand because that's your logic and you prefer PC gaming, and that choice varies for everyone and luckily as gamers we have endless choices. I have a i7/1080ti watercooled, but I still prefer to play on my X with my friends comfortably on the couch with no cheaters. The vast majority of non hardcore gamers have absolute 0 interest in PC gaming, they just want to stick the disc in and play the years latest games with their friends. Even my hardcore friends that are largely Sony based and have trophies scores that reflect their passion still only game on their Pros regardless if they can get a better experience for the same cost on the PC or even the X.

People prefer what they prefer, and it's why we continue to see 100+ million in hardware sales generation.

Xbox loses alone on its terrible barely usable OS.

Not only that, but the Xbox One X is always my second choice to buy a game if it is on PC. 30FPS is a sin in my book.

I think the point is people are shitting on the X for not being powerful enough. Then you see the majority of people saying this are running like you say "1060/970/580/590/980/390x/fury/480 gpus" shit level gpus. As powerful or less so than the X.

They shit on it because it's a pretty useless console at this point in time, especially considering microsofts anemic output in term of games.

Oh and those "shit gpus" can still run everything on at least high settings, 1080p at 60+fps. Something xboxX cant do thanks to its subpar cpu.

Last edited:
Even MS themselfs seem to focus more on pc considering.
Anything rx570 or better and you wont need an one x. PS4 has its exclusives so that one is nice to have besides a pc. More and more sony games see the light on pc for every gen that passes though.

Issue is you can make a cheaper PC than an Xbox One X, or have it built for you, the only reason that it would cost more is the Drive and the controller.

My Radioshack 360 clone from 2012 still works fine I don't NEED and Xbox One controller, and BR drives on PC are pointless and barely supported, in fact, you can get better movie quality without a BR drive on PC, the lower quality only applies to streaming, you can download uncompressed files that look just as good or better. Sure, the files will be Gigs in size but with 1TB HDD and 300 GB SSD's around that's nothing.

BR failed on PC because there's no reason for it, you can even watched those uncompressed media files on a TV hooked up to your PC with good cables.

Mattyp

Gold Member
They shit on it because it's a pretty useless console at this point in time, especially considering microsofts anemic output in term of games.

Oh and those "shit gpus" can still run everything on at least high settings, 1080p at 60+fps. Something xboxX cant do thanks to its subpar cpu.

Pretty useless in what way? Its the best in the market for people who only want a console, performance wise anyway. I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself the majority of people do not want to game on a PC. This machine is specifically targeted at a person with different wants than you I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

You're right those GPUs are still shit, its all down to the power of the better CPU getting more frames and the jaguar is lacking and seriously underpowered compared to it's PC counterparts and age now.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Pretty useless in what way? Its the best in the market for people who only want a console, performance wise anyway. I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself the majority of people do not want to game on a PC. This machine is specifically targeted at a person with different wants than you I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

You're right those GPUs are still shit, its all down to the power of the better CPU getting more frames and the jaguar is lacking and seriously underpowered compared to it's PC counterparts and age now.
I was going to reply the same as you, but it's seems a waste of time. It's ok for some one not to like something else or even hate it. But being narrow minded is awful string to have for your bow.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I was going to reply the same as you, but it's seems a waste of time. It's ok for some one not to like something else or even hate it. But being narrow minded is awful string to have for your bow.

It's baffling, I'm all for the banter backwards and forwards but not understanding people prefer different choices is just shortsightedness. But then again I own all 4 and see the merits of each :messenger_horns:

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It's baffling, I'm all for the banter backwards and forwards but not understanding people prefer different choices is just shortsightedness. But then again I own all 4 and see the merits of each :messenger_horns:
Totally agree, i own PS4\XBO\ Wii u and are tempted to back to Pc gaming, But even when i owned just a PC with the most powerful Gpu available at the time it never one crossed my mind to slag off consoles or look down on them. The mind boggles, but if it makes them happy good luck to them.

Last edited:

Most people are better off with a regular ps4. Who aside from a few people, is going to drop 400$ on a console near the end of the gen. It is a niche within a niche.
also hilarious how you keep shitting on parts which are 2-3 years older than the mighty ECCS, but still are able to run beast it in many cases.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Most people are better off with a regular ps4. Who aside from a few people, is going to drop 400$ on a console near the end of the gen. It is a niche within a niche.

This machine is specifically targeted at a person with different wants than you I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Should I just keep repeating this..?

also hilarious how you keep shitting on parts which are 2-3 years older than the mighty ECCS, but still are able to run beast it in many cases.

I continue to shit on these parts in a tongue in cheek way because the majority of pc gamers on here carry on like (MASTERRACEEE!! filthy console peasants etc) but it seems only a very very small minority actually have the parts to back that up. My Australian humour and bants might be flying over a few to many heads but.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Then why does the majority game on pc?

In what way do we want to argue that statistic but? Concurrent users? Game sales? Active hours?

We would agree everyone who games on PC has a steam account right? For the last 15 years Steam has amassed 125 Million users. With 10's of millions of millions of accounts probably being banned by now or duplicates on free games to dodge further bans. (We'll done adding around 30 million from China recently massive uptake)
In the last 6 years current consoles of this generation have sold 160 million units roughly? Again how many 10's of millions own both consoles?

You are correct but the argument can go either way with what ever kind of data you wish to represent each side. I should of said the large majority of my personal friends game on console, large majority of your friends might game on PC.

Should I just keep repeating this..?

Im just pointing out that the the pool of people this product appeals to, is very limited.
Vast majority of console gamers are not gonna consider it a good deal, because they can just buy a much cheaper ps4.
It would have to be only 50$ bucks more expensive than a ps4, for them to consider xbx a good deal.

Top Bottom