• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much It Would Cost To Build A PC As Powerful As The Xbox One X? (2019 edition)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I did some try...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Newegg Business)
Motherboard: Biostar - TB250-BTC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL - EVO SPEAR 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($35.45 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card ($179.99 @ B&H)
Case: DIYPC - DIY-BG01 ATX Mid Tower Case ($30.96 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - VS 450 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($27.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $412.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 10:55 EST-0500

I was pretty close to $400 ;)

And this thing can do 4k 30fps and in some cases 4k 60fps?

What I don't understand is how NVidia says the RTX series is the 4k dedicated 4k capable cards (Maybe 1080ti would qualify) but we got folks tossing together garbage like this and claiming to do the same thing? Forget the price...put that build on a benchmark and let it run. I'm really sick of you guys and your confirmation biases throwing these builds together without any firm proof that the machine is capable of doing what you say it will do. I don't outright expect you to buy the machine for testing, but seriously, where is the proof? Can you at least throw up a video using similar tech?

Just look at this video with a 1060, and people want to compare XBONEX with a 1070.........And they are adamant about it too...

Just watch the entire video, now I find he was quite lenient in the two ties he gave because he highlighted technical advantages for the Masher PRO over XBONEX, but still gave ties anyways.....I think the video by and large puts everything into perspective....

Now you ruined the only reason I paid attention to Digital Foundry.... oh well, DF retro is left, and console vs console is still a thing (however previsible).

ethomaz

Banned
And this thing can do 4k 30fps and in some cases 4k 60fps?
With X quality? Sure.

What I don't understand is how NVidia says the RTX series is the 4k dedicated 4k capable cards (Maybe 1080ti would qualify) but we got folks tossing together garbage like this and claiming to do the same thing? Forget the price...put that build on a benchmark and let it run. I'm really sick of you guys and your confirmation biases throwing these builds together without any firm proof that the machine is capable of doing what you say it will do. I don't outright expect you to buy the machine for testing, but seriously, where is the proof? Can you at least throw up a video using similar tech?
I'm not sure what are you saying... RTX cards can do 4k.

You are probably trying to make console hardware better than what it really is.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
With X quality? Sure.

I'm not sure what are you saying... RTX cards can do 4k.

You are probably trying to make console hardware better than what it really is.

What I'm saying is that they say they are "the true 4k capable" cards...I think others such as JayzTwoCents said 1080ti was the first 4k capable card. I don't understand. It's like all these cards do 4k...just at different levels in graphic quality and frame rate. Like I don't want a card that does 4k badly. Xbox does 4k well with high settings usually at 30fps (Although I really wish they had an option in all games for 1080p Ultra settings and 60fps)

You know what...nevermind...carry on.

So you're saying I can get 4k 30-60 on that machine you just built in PCpartpicker. So If I want similar results to my X just on PC....I get that, and I'm good?

demigod

I did some try...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Newegg Business)
Motherboard: Biostar - TB250-BTC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL - EVO SPEAR 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($35.45 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card ($179.99 @ B&H)
Case: DIYPC - DIY-BG01 ATX Mid Tower Case ($30.96 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - VS 450 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($27.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $412.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-08 10:55 EST-0500

I was pretty close to $400 ;)

Sir, you forgot KB&M.

ethomaz

Banned
Sir, you forgot KB&M.
Ohhhh yeap I forget KB&M and a BD drive.

What I'm saying is that they say they are "the true 4k capable" cards...I think others such as JayzTwoCents said 1080ti was the first 4k capable card. I don't understand. It's like all these cards do 4k...just at different levels in graphic quality and frame rate. Like I don't want a card that does 4k badly. Xbox does 4k well with high settings usually at 30fps (Although I really wish they had an option in all games for 1080p Ultra settings and 60fps)

You know what...nevermind...carry on.

So you're saying I can get 4k 30-60 on that machine you just built in PCpartpicker. So If I want similar results to my X just on PC....I get that, and I'm good?
Yeap... with a RX 580 you get similar results with similar settings.

For example: Forza 7 4k@60fps (Mix of High/Ultra like X) + GTX 1060 + G4560

I'm not sure what are you fighting about... X (Pro, PS4, XB1) has standard PC parts.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. PC games generally £10 cheaper on launch day. i can sell just 6 of my brand new £40-£45 Xbox games out of 10 games i buy per year within a week or two of purchase if i complete or just don't want them anymore for £20- £30 each. It's not revolutionary what i'm suggesting, there's even shops that have traded games on the high street for over 25 years, Ebay and sell them to friends at work. If you don't want to sell your games yes PC if you like to buy your games on launch day.
But my point is to offset the cost of Xbox live, and i only keep 1 or 2 games a year and this is just a option what lots of people do else there would be any 2nd hand games in shops or Ebay would there.
And it does cost more electricity to game on a PC with a RX580 that's a fact, so if people are nit picking i don't want to pay £28-£40 (£40 if you can't be arsed to look around) i'd say £5- £20 a year on more electric is just worth a quick shout out.

If youre gonna go full used, then you cant not consider vpn activated keys on pc, which are even cheaper than that.
Youre always presenting the best case scenario for your choice but no so much on the pc part.
In the long run, I think pc is a bit cheaper over all. not by a huge margin, but it is.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
.There's no need for me to provide you with any more proof.
The only thing you have proven, GTX 1060 can run metro exodus at 4K in the least demanding location and medium/low settings, but your linked video doesnt change what can be seen on 1070 video where xbox x settings are used and the most demanding location is benchmarked. 13fps dips in taiga level at 4K that's the result people can see in that linked 1070 video. So you have no proof 1060 can match xbox x results.

Similar situation with other games. "Santiago" on his YT channel shows how Wolfenstein 2 runs on his GTX 1060 6Gb OC and results as you can see here looks still much worse (10-15fps worse) despite low/medium settings used (that's below xbox x settings for sure) and the same 4K dynamic resolution as on xbox x (Santiago also show 4K native resolution during his gameplay, and because xbox version also support locked 4K resolution, so people can compare results on both modes).

Although benchmark results on various sites suggest RX 580 is not that much better in this game compared to 1060, I would still like to see RX 580 gameplay from WOLF 2 in 4K dynamic and the same location and high settings (that should be xbox x equivalent in this game). If RX 580 can indeed match xbox x results (55-60fps) in that particular location, then I will gladly change my mind because it will be a proof I was wrong. But until then I have no reason to change my mind.

And BTW. here's MaDz forza 7 gameplay video. His CPU is better than Athlon, and MaDz also shows different settings, yet at 4K he still cant match xbox results no matter what.

Screenshot-20190308-181847-You-Tube.jpg

7m43s, high settings and 41fps dips on ryzen and GTX 1060 at 4K. In comparsion xbox never dips below 60 fps, and GPU is still far from being maxed out.

tried the windows keys stolen argument/accusation, it failed.
I have linked article that talks about the way these cheap keys are obtained. None of these methods is legal so people buying these cheap keys support thieves for a fact. I dont care if you are using legit or stolen software for yourself but you should not make fun from people who choose to support legit software and call them silly as you did.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

Yeap, when you add the BD drive and KB/mouse or Xbox controller, you get close to $500 even when bargain hunting. That being said, bargain hunting for Xbox One X could net you one for as low as $300, or even brand new retail for $380.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
If youre gonna go full used, then you cant not consider vpn activated keys on pc, which are even cheaper than that.
Youre always presenting the best case scenario for your choice but no so much on the pc part.
In the long run, I think pc is a bit cheaper over all. not by a huge margin, but it is.
What do you mean best case scenario, what i have said is what i have done with ease since the 16 bit console days.
What do you mean by full used and vpn activated keys ?

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Yeap... with a RX 580 you get similar results with similar settings.

For example: Forza 7 4k@60fps (Mix of High/Ultra like X) + GTX 1060 + G4560

I'm not sure what are you fighting about... X (Pro, PS4, XB1) has standard PC parts.

How does the RX 580 compare to Nvidia's cards? Like a 1050? 1060? Better?

thelastword

Banned
Now you ruined the only reason I paid attention to Digital Foundry.... oh well, DF retro is left, and console vs console is still a thing (however previsible).
Cheers, there are a few more tests he did on the channel, on other games...

Forza Horizon 4

Dishonored 2

Final Fantasy XV

Kingdom Come Deliverance

Fortnite Battle Royale "Revisited"

Far Cry 5

For FarCry 5, I think he went in thinking this game was native 4k on the XBONEX implicitly, probably because many were saying it was a 4k native game on XBONEX before Vgtech......Yet, you can see instances of the game being sharper on the potatoe masher because of the dynamic resolution, that combined with the better settings he had on the masher over XBONEX....I

f you realize, he had the game running at 4k 80% resolution scaling on the masher at very high settings, better settings than the XBONEX, which runs FC5 at 4k dynamic resolution with some settings on high and some settings below that and some settings on low, like terrain and volumetrics.......In essence, the masher is doing 4k 80% resolution scaling at very high settings with a locked 30fps, which means better filtering, better textures and SSR on the masher PRO over XBONEX.....Moreover, I'm pretty sure if he lowered settings on the masher to XBONEX levels, he could hit 4k Native at all times with framerate above 30fps quite easily....but XBONEX is not even full fat native, but DR with lowered settings at that, so I think this about states where the piece of hardware stand vs these budget PC's.......

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
It always cracks me up when people think consoles use high/ ultra settings.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
How does the RX 580 compare to Nvidia's cards? Like a 1050? 1060? Better?
It's way more powerful than a 1050. A 1060 is comparable, most games run a bit better on the 1060 and use use less power. If i were to get another PC i would get the 1060 over the RX580 or any other Nvidia card in the same class.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's way more powerful than a 1050. A 1060 is comparable, most games run a bit better on the 1060 and use use less power. If i were to get another PC i would get the 1060 over the RX580 or any other Nvidia card in the same class.

Ok, so then by this logic, I have a 1070ti...i5 8400...I should be able to do 4k 60fps no problem? Because I look at my rig and don't imagine that's possible.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Ok, so then by this logic, I have a 1070ti...i5 8400...I should be able to do 4k 60fps no problem? Because I look at my rig and don't imagine that's possible.
I wouldn't say no problem and i'm no expert but with certain settings on certain games i would say its possible on some.

Lort

Banned
Youtube is such a reliable source as made famous by alex jones and “aliens”.

The reputable sources such as devs, digital foundry, guru 3d toms hardware all show that the xbox is somewhere between a 1060 and a 1070. If your going to compare you need to look at the lowest fps not average.

None has doubted matching an xbox one x is nearly impossible if not straight out impossible... or that if you dont want to screw around with tweaking settings to get 4k without sacrificing frame rate your better off just buying an xbox.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You can run everything in 4k with the right setthings with your ring.

I don’t think there is any game in the market won’t run at least at 30fps in 4k with that config.

People seems to forget X didn’t use Ultra or Max setthings... it is a mix around high... and most games have dynamic resolution... not 4k all the time.

With similar setthings you will get similar or better results with a GTX 1060 or RX 580.

Last edited:
https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-x-g...erms-of-real-world-performance-voofoo-studios

I would just assume the devs know it better then most here. RX580 = most comparable to the One X gpu. Probably some advatanges to each side, but in general i would go with the 580 solution, as for a fact it has a tad bit more raw power, 6.1TF vs 6.0TF, it has its own 8GB dedicated vram.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/8/15762398/xbox-scorpio-extra-ram-microsoft

One X has 9GB in total for games devs to use, 3GB is for the OS. On a typical PC the 580 has 8GB just for the vram to play with and atleast another 8GB for OS and games itself. RX580 could cope with higher res textures etc.

One X gpu isnt even close to a 1070, its ballpark 1060/580, closer to the latter. Its not between a 1060/1070. RX580 was a midrange product when it released half a year before the One X, at a rather acceptable price, it can be had quite cheap today.

Yes they would.

I built a pc years ago with a 290x and lock most games to 30 and play them on my tv via steam link.

The only time I ever go above 30 is when everything is maxed out and I have headroom.

In general though I don't go above 30 as I find controls feel too loose and I can't see the difference unless I'm watching white squares go side to side on a black background.

You prefer 30fps gaming to 60fps gaming in without exception?

X beats pc at 500$ price tag coz at 500$ gaming pcs are garbage and put together by using cheap quality parts from market to keep cost down.

When building pc always go for the sun not moon. Beyond console specs if you can without compromising on parts like psu or motherboard.

X beats pc at 500$ price tag coz at 500$ gaming pcs are garbage and put together by using cheap quality parts from market to keep cost down.

When building pc always go for the sun not moon. Beyond console specs if you can without compromising on parts like psu or motherboard.

Then what is the One X? A jaguar tablet cpu at just over 2ghz, a total of 12GB ram (9 to games), and possibility to upgrade, its not a high-quality-pc either.

Then what is the One X? A jaguar tablet cpu at just over 2ghz, a total of 12GB ram (9 to games), and possibility to upgrade, its not a high-quality-pc either.

Clearly u never build a pc and has no knowledge of it. You wouldn't have made this stupid post otherwise.

You out of your mind if u compare custom build X parts with parts u get for a 500$ PC in market.

X has custom build SoC and vapor cooling . Let me see which 500$ pc can have all that .

Last edited:
Clearly u never build a pc and has no knowledge of it. You wouldn't have made this stupid post otherwise.

You out of your mind if u compare custom build X parts with parts u get for a 500$ PC in market.

X has custom build SoC and vapor cooling . Let me see which 500$ pc can have all that .
A PC wouldn’t need vapor cooling because there would be more space for ventilation. The X isn’t compact for no reason.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Not a fan of those "Potato Masher" builds. 320GB HDD? Xeon CPU? 8GB RAM? Probably a grey-area Win10 key, not a disc. Are we getting KB/M or a controller? A disc drive to install Windows? If not, how is Windows getting on the 320GB hdd? What about Wi-fi and Bluetooth? Aside from the GPU...meh.

Xbox One X is under $400 with a game and an extra controller, and it has a UHD Blu-ray drive. It's uniquely positioned because games are still tied to base consoles and their weak CPUs. However, on PC you want to build in a forward-thinking manner. Especially with $400-500.

I would really emphasize to somebody dropping that money that next-gen consoles and games are almost here and you want to have a CPU that will match them. Something like a Ryzen 1600 on sale would save $30-40 and still give you 6c/12t @ 4GHz on stock cooling. Go with a RX 570 8GB on deal and they OC to about Xbox One X level. Put this on a decent mobo with a nice power supply, DDR4, all the fixings need to get up and running. Still probably run $550-650, but at least you're not stuck with a $450 POS with likely non-existent warranty.

Then in 2020/2021, you drop in a new mid-range GPU and you have a next-gen capable system. That's one the benefits of PC, but you have to front-load costs for the HQ CPU/MOBO/PSU. This is the opposite paradigm of the GPU-heavy Xbox One X.

And how many more would that PC cost compared to the Xbox One X?

You can just lower the resolution to hold around 60FPS, lower the settings a bit to make sure it's locked (if given the 1060 at 1080p you should still be way above the detail level used to bump the resolution on the X.

I have a PS4 PRO and every single game that gave me a 1080p "performance" mode I took is, that faukK 30fps lock is garbage (when you can have pretty much anything better)... Obviously consoles have a couple of true 4K 60FPS games too, I'm just not willing to make any compromise in performance to get 4K over 1080p.

A PC wouldn’t need vapor cooling because there would be more space for ventilation. The X isn’t compact for no reason.

He doesnt understand that, neither that a RX580 could very well have vapor chamber cooling. Also, vapor chamber cooling doesnt have to be better then heatpipe cooling.

Then in 2020/2021, you drop in a new mid-range GPU and you have a next-gen capable system. That's one the benefits of PC, but you have to front-load costs for the HQ CPU/MOBO/PSU.

The number one reason for a console are its exclusives, the xbox platforms shares them with the PC, the only thing going for it for the One X is that its somewhat cheaper but much more compact, if your not into building a compact pc.

ethomaz

Banned

That is what X is... a mid to low end PC... it is no where close to high-end.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Not a fan of those "Potato Masher" builds. 320GB HDD? Xeon CPU? 8GB RAM? Probably a grey-area Win10 key, not a disc. Are we getting KB/M or a controller? A disc drive to install Windows? If not, how is Windows getting on the 320GB hdd? What about Wi-fi and Bluetooth? Aside from the GPU...meh.

Xbox One X is under $400 with a game and an extra controller, and it has a UHD Blu-ray drive. It's uniquely positioned because games are still tied to base consoles and their weak CPUs. However, on PC you want to build in a forward-thinking manner. Especially with $400-500.

I would really emphasize to somebody dropping that money that next-gen consoles and games are almost here and you want to have a CPU that will match them. Something like a Ryzen 1600 on sale would save $30-40 and still give you 6c/12t @ 4GHz on stock cooling. Go with a RX 570 8GB on deal and they OC to about Xbox One X level. Put this on a decent mobo with a nice power supply, DDR4, all the fixings need to get up and running. Still probably run $550-650, but at least you're not stuck with a $450 POS with likely non-existent warranty.

Then in 2020/2021, you drop in a new mid-range GPU and you have a next-gen capable system. That's one the benefits of PC, but you have to front-load costs for the HQ CPU/MOBO/PSU. This is the opposite paradigm of the GPU-heavy Xbox One X.
? You can install any OS via PenDrive nowadays.

Or how do you think most PCs without disc drive get Windows inside lol

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The number one reason for a console are its exclusives, the xbox platforms shares them with the PC, the only thing going for it for the One X is that its somewhat cheaper but much more compact, if your not into building a compact pc.
RIght now I see Xbox One X bundles for $389 with a game(NBA 2k19, PUBG) and extra controller. You get a month of Game Pass to go with it. The game is neither here nor there, but 2 controllers and a beautiful console with 4k support for only $389 is a better deal than anything I could put together on PC.

I haven't seen anything in here for $389 or under that comes close, and if you build a GPU-heavy system this late in the gen right before new consoles, you cut off your nose anyway.

We could go into the software-based comparisons, but that's off-topic and I'd probably blab too much like I am now. My conclusion: Xbox One X is good bang-for-buck if you're ok with 4k/30fps.

? You can install any OS via PenDrive nowadays.

Or how do you think most PCs without disc drive get Windows inside lol
Is this meant to be cynical or what? Naturally I'm aware of that. What I'm alluding to is that the "Potato" PC doesn't include another PC to download Win10 on, or the flash drive, or the ability to flash it to a thumb drive. It doesn't even have Blu-ray movie support while the X has UHD support. It's all a non-starter unless it comes with the OS on the stick already.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
RIght now I see Xbox One X bundles for $389 with a game(NBA 2k19, PUBG) and extra controller. You get a month of Game Pass to go with it. The game is neither here nor there, but 2 controllers and a beautiful console with 4k support for only $389 is a better deal than anything I could put together on PC.

I haven't seen anything in here for $389 or under that comes close, and if you build a GPU-heavy system this late in the gen right before new consoles, you cut off your nose anyway.

We could go into the software-based comparisons, but that's off-topic and I'd probably blab too much like I am now. My conclusion: Xbox One X is good bang-for-buck if you're ok with 4k/30fps.
I don’t think anybody denied that in this thread.

It just some thinking X delivery GTX 1070 level.

To build a PC that will similar or better for games than X I need around $450 to $500.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don’t think anybody denied that in this thread.

It just some thinking X delivery GTX 1070 level.

To build a PC that will similar or better for games than X I need around $450 to $500.
Nobody has demonstrated a sub-$400 PC that matches the X. I was advising against the "Potato Masher".

Let's see what you can do in US region using new parts and it must be turn-key, mean no other PC or hardware needed to setup. It's got to include at least 1 Xbox One controller and a way to use it since we're using it on a 4kTV and this has 2 controllers. Under $400, go...

ethomaz

Banned
Nobody has demonstrated a sub-$400 PC that matches the X. I was advising against the "Potato Masher".

Let's see what you can do in US region using new parts and it must be turn-key, mean no other PC or hardware needed to setup. It's got to include at least 1 Xbox One controller and a way to use it since we're using it on a 4kTV and this has 2 controllers. Under $400, go...
Reading comprehension lol

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Reading comprehension lol

usi5r7x0bmlvjh0a.jpg

You responded to me, and in general what you write is incomprehensible. I usually give you the benefit of the doubt on account that I believed you are some drunk guy from Spain, but now I'm wondering if it's just you. You responded to me responding to TLW, and you have the audacity to laugh about reading comprehension. Like you are controlling dialogue in this thread? Hypocrite much? Lol.

ethomaz

Banned
usi5r7x0bmlvjh0a.jpg

You responded to me, and in general what you write is incomprehensible. I usually give you the benefit of the doubt on account that I believed you are some drunk guy from Spain, but now I'm wondering if it's just you. You responded to me responding to TLW, and you have the audacity to laugh about reading comprehension. Like you are controlling dialogue in this thread? Hypocrite much? Lol.
Read again... why I should show you a sub-$400 PC when I never said that lol

C’mon.

I was pretty clear about most people here fighting against the X on the level of GTX 1070 and not that you can make a sub-$400 PC to match X.

I tried to make a build and reached $412 without KB/M or controller and BD-drive.... so you probably needs around $450 to $500 to match X.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Read again... why I should show you a sub-$400 PC when I never said that lol

C’mon.

I was pretty clear about most people here fighting against the X on the level of GTX 1070 and not that you can make a sub-$400 PC to match X.

I tried to make a build and reached $412 without KB/M or controller and BD-drive.... so you probably needs around $450 to $500 to match X.
I was pretty clear that I was not a fan of the $450 "Potato Masher". I hate builds like that since they are dishonest. A 320GB hdd? And you must have Win10 included on thumb drive or DVD without needing another PC. To suggest a person go download on a different PC and use the boot tool to mount the .iso on a thumb drive, and then go into the BIOS and set the boot priority to USB...what the fuck? Hahaha. These used part shit builds are shit. Is that plain enough for you?

Show me your SFF build with turn-key operation. Why are you holding back I could give less of a fuck if it's $450-550. I already suggested the best bang-for-buck is $600-700.
2vl7vs.jpg

I was pretty clear that I was not a fan of the $450 "Potato Masher". I hate builds like that since they are dishonest. A 320GB hdd? And you must have Win10 included on thumb drive or DVD without needing another PC. To suggest a person go download on a different PC and use the boot tool to mount the .iso on a thumb drive, and then go into the BIOS and set the boot priority to USB...what the fuck? Hahaha.
Is there a problem with this method?? It's actually not that difficult to do.

These used part shit builds are shit. Is that plain enough for you?
Part of my PC is built from used parts such as my RX580, but it's running perfectly fine. Used GPUs that were utilized for cryptomining, for instance, are pretty good buys because they were undervolted during the cryptomining, so their wear-and-tear is relatively low.

And there are also deals and discounts for parts on sites like Newegg. For instance, sometimes the video cards come with 3 free games or there's a motherboard/CPU bundle or a certain part has a mail-in rebate for further discounts (albeit a delayed one).

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is there a problem with this method?? It's actually not that difficult to do.
It's a non-starter for obvious reasons. Fact is you're not even booting some of these builds since they have no OS, no optical drive, no pre-installed thumb drive. Hell, not even a KB/M. I shouldn't have to explain this.

For you, me, and ethomaz it's not hard to get access to another PC and create a bootable flash drive. That shouldn't be expected for somebody comparing to Xbox One X.

It's a non-starter for obvious reasons. Fact is you're not even booting some of these builds since they have no OS, no optical drive, no pre-installed thumb drive. Hell, not even a KB/M. I shouldn't have to explain this.
Well, it's not obvious to me, so I wouldn't be so hasty to consider this an open-and-shut case. I mean, isn't this the case for every case someone builds a PC unless you decide to buy a pre-built one?

For you, me, and ethomaz it's not hard to get access to another PC and create a bootable flash drive. That shouldn't be expected for somebody comparing to Xbox One X.
Though this thread is about the price, not about convenience.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Well, it's not obvious to me, so I wouldn't be so hasty to consider this an open-and-shut case. I mean, isn't this the case for every case someone builds a PC unless you decide to buy a pre-built one?
I've been casually interested in comparing builds to consoles for over a decade and it never fails that PC guys will go straight to excluding OS, or means of installing it, use a gray-market key, exclude disc drive, use used parts, shitty PSU, big clunker case, exclude KB/M, exclude game controller, wi-fi, bluetooth, etc.

I would rather just tell somebody it's going to be $500-600 rather than obfuscate the true nature of the comparison. If you want to do it that way, fine. Not my way doing things. Another PC, thumb drive, and KB/M is not just "convenience". Those things cost money.

Anyway, I'm done here, so I'll let you have the last word.

I've been casually interested in comparing builds to consoles for over a decade and it never fails that PC guys will go straight to excluding OS, or means of installing it, use a gray-market key, exclude disc drive, use used parts, shitty PSU, big clunker case, exclude KB/M, exclude game controller, wi-fi, bluetooth, etc.

I would rather just tell somebody it's going to be $500-600 rather than obfuscate the true nature of the comparison. If you want to do it that way, fine. Not my way doing things. Another PC, thumb drive, and KB/M is not just "convenience". Those things cost money.

Anyway, I'm done here, so I'll let you have the last word.
Ummm... Microsoft offers Windows for free on their website. That's not grey-market. The downside is that you can't customize the wallpaper. And thumb drives are inexpensive. Most likely, you already have one anyways or you can just ask a friend to borrow one. KB&M can be found for cheap, as well. I got mine in a bundle for $18. Were they the best? No, but they work just fine.

Disc drive? The vast majority of PC games are digital, so why should I get a disc drive? Power supply? You can currently get a Corsair TX550M Gold for $50 on Newegg after mail-in rebate. I dare you to call that a shitty PSU.

Your claims of obfuscation are largely unfounded.

That is what X is... a mid to low end PC... it is no where close to high-end.
That gpu inside is 6tf and can run metro and rdr 2 at native 4k.

Which 6tf pc can run following games native 4k?lol .

X gpu mixed machine with mid to highbend parts. Ddr5 12gb and 6tf is not exactly low end

X gpu mixed machine with mid to highbend parts. Ddr5 12gb and 6tf is not exactly low end
Native 4K at what settings? How much AA and AF were there in the X version? How much were the LOD, shadows, textures, and particles cranked up?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well it's nearly 18 months after release of the X and you can get pretty close but not quite there yet and 18 months is a very long time in the PC market and this goes to show what a amazing value the X is and that's not even taking into account its size and how quiet it is. Sure someday you can do it and maybe pretty soon and someday even our phone maybe able to.

ethomaz

Banned

6TFs is about than half of what is called high-end.... RX 480, RX 580, RX 590 are all mid-end.
The CPU is low-end.
The amount of RAM is low to mid-end and yes GDDR5 is used in low-end cards.

What exactly is high-end in X? It is a mid to low-end machine.

BTW Metro at 4k in a GTX 1060 and better framerate than X:

But think a bit about 30fps is considered below standard in PC that is why people drop the 4k resolution... at 30fps mid-end GPUs can do 4k with similar X setthings.

Last edited:
6TFs is about than half of what is called high-end.... RX 480, RX 580, RX 590 are all mid-end.
The CPU is low-end.

Or if you check out some benchmarks here, the average framerate is 25fps on the RX580 at 4K Extreme settings with tessellation. If the Digital Foundry thread of the other forum's info is true, then the X version runs at 4K at high settings and no tessellation. Extreme is two tiers higher than high (high -> ultra -> extreme).

pawel86ck

Banned
Youtube is such a reliable source as made famous by alex jones and “aliens”.

The reputable sources such as devs, digital foundry, guru 3d toms hardware all show that the xbox is somewhere between a 1060 and a 1070. If your going to compare you need to look at the lowest fps not average.

None has doubted matching an xbox one x is nearly impossible if not straight out impossible... or that if you dont want to screw around with tweaking settings to get 4k without sacrificing frame rate your better off just buying an xbox.
The thing is, developers arnt sure for themselves. Some developers compare xbox x GPU performance to 1060, some to 1070, and some even to 1080. Like everything in life the truth is in the middle. Digital Foundry articles and other tech articles clearly suggest xbox x GPU is polaris on steroids, it's not typical 480 or 580 and should be not compared to such.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gpucur...cache-size-advantage-over-the-older-gcns/amp/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57156/project-scorpio-vega-gpu-architecture-design/index.html

It's clearly mentioned here GPU design is different to RX-480/RX-580 and these differences are listed based on MS engineer presentation.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1174...e-live-blog-930am-pt-430pm-utc#post0821123834

But even if xbox x would use 480/580 without any modifications then GPU like that would still get better results than equivalent PC part because console games are much better optimized and it was exactly like that since I remember. For example doom 3 or splinter cell 3 run xbox classic console while on PC you had to own much faster GPU. Now on this generation especially sony exclusives shows some really amazing results on consoles while PS4 GPU is comparable to ancient 7850 radeon. I'm sure 7850 on PC would never run PS4 games like uncharted 4, the order, spiderman with similar results yet for some reason people belive it's different with xbox one/x. Xbox x GPU also goes further than equivalent PC parts, and even Digital Foundry have said it.

The bottom line is that Scorpio's six teraflops will almost certainly go a lot further than an equivalent PC part. I asked Microsoft about this specifically, and they raise a number of good arguments that make the case strongly. Firstly, that their shader compiler is far more efficient than PC equivalents (think of shaders as native GPU code). Secondly, addressing the hardware directly via their API and with access to console-specific GPU extensions again adds to the advantage of a fixed platform box. And finally, they point to their optimisation software - PIX (Performance Investigator for Xbox) - as a tool that provides the path to console-specific optimisations that PC simply cannot get."
Digital Foundry knows what they are talking about

The CPU is low-end.

But think a bit about 30fps is considered below standard in PC that is why people drop the 4k resolution... at 30fps mid-end GPUs can do 4k with similar X setthings.

You guys dont even watch what you are posting. This particular video shows 4K on GTX 1060 in metro exodus, but at medium settings and the least demanding location in entire game (Santiago even wrote it in the video description there are much more demanding scenarios LOL). Also keep in mind, his 1060 is OC'ed (it's also mentioned in the video description). I dont know how much fps 1060 get at high settins and taiga level because I havent seen videos like that, but if 1070 dips to 13fps with xbox x settings in taiga level then it's obvious 1060 should provide even "better" slideshow experience. For now none of you guys proved 1060 can indeed run metro exodus in 4K like xbox x does. Other games also shows 1060 just cant match xbox x experience, for example Forza 7 gameplay even with high settings also dips to 41fps as I have proved in my previous video but of course lets pretend 1060 matched xbox results there, 41 fps vs locked minimal 60 fps is not that big difference after all right :).

Last edited:
RX580 at 4K Extreme settings with tessellation.

Do you think one x runs those titles at 'extreme settings'? At native 4k, no faux 4k?

Ppl seem to imagine one x runs everything ultra and compare it to that on pc.
A RX580 pc will do better then a one x in most cases, its the more capable gpu in the end.

Top Bottom