• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much It Would Cost To Build A PC As Powerful As The Xbox One X? (2019 edition)

thelastword

Banned
I honestly can’t remember the last time I used my PC’s disc drive
No doubt, I have a Bluray Writer on my PC as well...I don't think I ever used that tbh.......Sometimes I even forget it's there.....

Funny enough, I don't use the bluray drive on my PS4 either, not for games, not for movies, and why would I watch movies on my PC anyway, but I do stream from my PC to TV via plex media server, that's for sure......I have netflix, hulu, amazon on every device, including the tv I have, there's just no reason for me to use the bluray drive...

YayNJ

Banned
There’s some serious Xbox shilling going on here the last couple of months. Really makes you think🤔

And Voost Kain is the king of clickbait as well.

Just a couple of months?

How's that comparable to years, decade even? This place didn't get the moniker SonyGaf for shits and giggles.

Codes 208

I’m thinking of rebuilding a PC when I can afford it to start up my YouTube channel again. My goal isn’t to make it on par with the X within the price limit however, why would I want to limit myself for a rather modest setup with a shit cpu? I’ll go all the way for atleast a GTX 1070 and a i7
Just a couple of months?

How's that comparable to years, decade even? This place didn't get the moniker SonyGaf for shits and giggles.
While I’m pretty sure the thread doesn’t exist anymore due to the purge. Back in my lurker days I remember that user account megathread for giving out Gamertags and even if you combined steam, Xbox and the Wii U/3ds gaffers, psn gaffers still pretty much outnumbered everyone 2 to 1.

demigod

There are, but most of them are just cases with codes and some extras.

edit: ok so I checked my local retailer and I obviously won't list all the games but here are some which come on DVDs: Division 2, DMC5, Dirt 2.0, Metro:Exodus, Tropico 6...

Where do you live and what store? I just checked Fry's here in the states and none of those games are listed for pickup. The only one that I saw was CoD Blops 4.

I said to hell with physical PC games when I bought Left 4 Dead and they gave me a code, lol. The last physical game that I can think of that I bought was Diablo 3.

because this is building like for like, and 4k blurry are massively better than streaming 4k. if your gonna compare a pc the x x it has to be same spec wise. as a cost cutting exercise yeah leave the drive out but it aint the same as the x then

A 4K Blurry drive sounds like it defeats its own purpose. :p

LMJ

YayNJ YayNJ I always have to laugh when I hear the term Sonygaf, because I can only imagine that those people weren't here for the playstation 3/360 era where the playstation rightfully got smashed for its reveal, it's price, it's lackluster games, "Ridge Racer", and "hit its weak point for massive damage" to name just a few...

Playstation was looked down upon through the majority of this generation including on Gaf, as someone who ghosted I can tell you this was 100% true, it often came out weaker in comparisons, Sometimes missing entire details in games and let's not even talk about xbox live versus PSN. You had the usual detractors people who were loyal to Sony and playstation or fanboys as they're more accurately called lol

The narrative didn't start to change until around uncharted 2 when playstation 3 started put out some phenomenal looking exclusives, and when xbox started to go hard into the whole Kinnect phase, and Wii was losing steam.

Xbox was chasing the Wii hard and playstation Seemed to many that they were trying to stay the course (that's if you choose to ignore the playstation Move mind you) toward the end of the generation Nintendo games started to slow and Microsoft dedicated itself completely to the casuals outside of its flagship titles...

Sony seemed to be the only ones who were dedicated to the hardcore gamers the casual gamers hell, all the gamers, Not necessarily saying that's true but that's the perception that was received by many, and one of the reasons they went into the next generation so strong...( Although here on gaf I will point out everyone thought Sony was doomed, before their reveal for the playstation 4 many people thought they were going to bow out of the console race)

That having been said obviously a dedicated high end game console will never be able to offer what a high end gaming PC can, by its very nature the PC will be more versatile so I would expect the price to be higher

I've seen PC games run at 4K resolution between 60 frames per second and 120 frames, needless to say something the Xbox OneX can only dream of lol.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

If you want to play on xbox buy an xbox, if you want to play on PC buy a PC (or upgrade the one you already have).

This comparison of how much it costs for one thing vs another is just stupid.

If your someone that's that price conscious why not just get an xbox one s and play all the same games for much cheaper?

If you want more power and don't care about spending more money, get a pc.

TacosNSalsa

giphy.gif

Old people
Hey..I resemble that comment :messenger_pouting:

It really seems like he's just going by what ever retail price on whatever site he is on while writing that ..if you're building a pc you should be way more dilligent than that . Just on Amazon seeing a 580 for $179 and if you're going to paly $139 for a windows key you're probably also the type to buy games off of steam and steam only for full price no questions asked ...

Pejo

Cool info, OP.

Next, do how much it'd cost to build a car that's equal in performance to a Prius.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
As if people needed more proof how amazingly cheap the xbox one x really is!
It even can do 4k60fps.
What an amazing piece of tech

Wow....Hunert Smo.....I mean Voost kain......Why do you need to spend all that money, if you're just trying to build similar XBONEX hardware????...

Go to Amazon

CPU: Athlon CPU $52 or you can get an intel Pentium
Memory: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance at 2400Mhz for $46
HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD refurb for $37
GPU: XFX RX 580 GTS $189
Case: Rosewill Microt ATX Mini-Case $23
Keybaord and Mouse: Amazon Basics K&M combo $14
Power Supply: Thermal Take 500W PSU $40
Motherboard: Gigabyte AM4 Micro ATX $64
Windows PRO Key $4 average

Total $469.00

Now come on now, I bought another windows key for $3.11 on Ebay a few days back.....It's the PRO version 32/64bit...Home? Who's buying that anyway @ $139.00???? Come on Voost...

You can run your games at 16xAF or run it at 1080p/60fps ultra or high settings......If I'm missing anything, let me know..

lol.... liar
on computerbase {biggest German pc site} its a performance rating for graphic cards and this card RX 580 with! better CPU! and! better RAM! can make only 39.4 fps average! on 1080p
they tested in the Parcour last 16 biggest AAA games.
you are a joking moron..

https://www.computerbase.de/thema/grafikkarte/rangliste/#diagramm-performancerating-1920-1080

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Where do you live and what store?
I don't know why people keep asking me where I am from when I have it listed on my profile, just point your mouse cursor on my avatar, but it is Czech Republic (specifically Bohemia) and the store is Xzone.

The Xbox One X is still a better value for your buck!

Not to mention unified architecture, don't have to worry about updates, firmware, errors etc, but that's another story.

Really depends on if you want to play games at 60FPS or not. Microsoft only pushes 4K at 30FPS over all games running at 1080p 60FPS because it's cheaper than building a new CPU solution from the ground up, that isn't a laptop-tier CPU, for a mid-generational upgrade. For 4K at 30FPS, the Xbox One X isn't a bad deal, but for games running at 1080p 60FPS, you aren't guaranteed that for most titles (Which don't offer 60FPS modes). If you want better graphics, better framerates, and more games (The Xbox's lack of Japanese support comes to mind), you'd be better off buying a gaming PC.

As for the updates, firmware, errors and such, last time I checked, the Xbox One has constant system updates that take longer than the average Windows update, and that whole issue with Xbox Live being down prevented Xbox One players from playing on their system altogether unless they turn off their modem.

Other than cheap/budget 4K 30FPS games, it's really hard to recommend the Xbox One X, as it's a hard sell otherwise. If they'd increase the amount of Japanese developers supporting the platform, and/or add a Windows desktop mode, Microsoft could at least sell to fans of JRPGs who don't want to deal with Sony's censorship, or people who want to get into PC Gaming, but don't want to completely make the jump.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What about a small PC cause a lot of people don't want a big dirty noisy PC in their lounge. Would the price double for the PC ?

who pays 139$ for an operating system? :messenger_neutral:

You can buy a Windows 10 key on SCDKey for $20 nowadays, and you don't even need to buy a Windows 10 key to even use the operating system. There's also the option of using Linux alongside Proton, but that really depends on what you want to do. The "You need to pay $140 for a Windows OS" claim is mostly moot.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought the Consensus on Gaf was that Blu-ray was better quality than digital for movies.
It is, 4k Blu-ray>>>>>>>>>>4k Digital>>Blu-ray
A good Blu-ray tranfer will give a 4k Digital picture a run for its money.
The resolution is higher but the bitrate is either the same or lower then an 1080p transfer. Which has an effect on the overall picture colour and contrast.
4k blu-ray is something else.
It's like comparing a blu-ray to a YouTube video.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wow....Hunert Smo.....I mean Voost kain......Why do you need to spend all that money, if you're just trying to build similar XBONEX hardware????...

Go to Amazon

CPU: Athlon CPU $52 or you can get an intel Pentium
Memory: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance at 2400Mhz for $46
HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD refurb for $37
GPU: XFX RX 580 GTS $189
Case: Rosewill Microt ATX Mini-Case $23
Keybaord and Mouse: Amazon Basics K&M combo $14
Power Supply: Thermal Take 500W PSU $40
Motherboard: Gigabyte AM4 Micro ATX $64
Windows PRO Key $4 average

Total $469.00

Now come on now, I bought another windows key for $3.11 on Ebay a few days back.....It's the PRO version 32/64bit...Home? Who's buying that anyway @ $139.00???? Come on Voost...

You can run your games at 16xAF or run it at 1080p/60fps ultra or high settings......If I'm missing anything, let me know..

Athlon CPU....running 1080p 60fps on ultra or high settings? Prove it.

By the way you you're missing the 4k blu ray drive.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Xbox One X is a good deal for the hardware. I did some analysis for perf/price and you can match and beat the Xbox's bang-for-buck, but it happens at the $600-700 mark.

The X is good value if you're cool with 30fps and want the UHD Blu-ray. It's hard to build something in such a small form factor on PC for bargain prices. During Black Friday 2018 you could get a X for $359 with the right deals.

A PC with Small factor liquid cooling and advanced AMD radion fury and Celeron high-end with 6GB of Ram is already $2134.

That's probably inaccurate but the thread source is Gamingbolt so might as well make up numbers.

Xbox One and PS4 were outdated at launch, the X being cheaper than the PC was only temporary, but it's behind yet again due to and jaguar, and other compromises.

Hopefully Xbox Z and PS5 release with good power and not Nearly two gens behind.

petran79

Banned
I honestly can’t remember the last time I used my PC’s disc drive

I use it only to watch some region locked dvd and bd discs and only via Anydvd. You can zoom the movie to fill the 2.39/1 ultrawidescreen aspect ratio

Athlon CPU....running 1080p 60fps on ultra or high settings? Prove it.

By the way you you're missing the 4k blu ray drive.

There arent any for PC. Only movie rips

Justin9mm

In the defense of OP, the only thing I will say is, games for the X will probably run a bit better due to optimization compared to having the same hardware specs on the PC. But yeah, the comparison is a bit silly as a PC is a far more versatile machine and some of the costs listed for the build could be had cheaper.

I have a gaming specs PC, an X and a Pro, I hardly use if not at all anymore the PC for gaming. I love console lounge gaming and before someone says but you can hook up a PC in the lounge yada yada, I have my PC for work and other tasks and like to keep it separate in my office with multiple monitors. Just because a situation make sense for someone else, doesn't mean it works for another. I'm a gaming casual so I don't mind 4K 30fps experience on console if optimized well.. And I don't care too much for options, too many settings to tweak and my OCD spins out of control and I'll probably end up making it look worse.

Mattyp

Gold Member
The Xbox 1X supports dynamic resolutions and checkerboard upscaling, so near no game for it holds a constant native 4K image.
That limitation, along with medium graphics settings and 30fps thresholds has to be factored into its price.

Near no game holds a constant 4K image? Tons of games do since its release. Let me know what number you refer to as 'near none' because to me that's 5 or less.

KINDERFELD

Banned
Near no game holds a constant 4K image? Tons of games do since its release. Let me know what number you refer to as 'near none' because to me that's 5 or less.

The vast majority of them worth a damn do not hold a constant 4K image on top of being sub 30fps at medium graphics settings.

Ten_Fold

If you want only play games and use apps like hulu/netflix then yes Xbox one X or even the ps4 pro is a better value that’s why people like consoles more, but I think having a decent/good PC is a better value since it can do a lot more. Also I remember an old co-worker who brought some old optiplex an all he did was spend a few hundred bucks an he could play modern games. That blew my mind not gonna lie lol.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think anyone in low to mid-range who doesn't mind playing with a controller would probably be better off with a console. Less hassle, settings that don't require tuning, not having to deal with Nvidia driver bugs and other nonsense.

Before I foolishly spent $1500 CAD on a 2080 ti I was somewhat considering getting an X1X. Unfortunately I have too much of a preference for mouse and keyboard. When the Xbox announcement of mouse/kb support turned out to be half assed I decided it wasn't for me. Maybe next gen if they make it more of a PC replacement.

The upfront cost of PC gaming is bigger than console gaming, but because of the competition between PC game storefronts and key vendors, you make up for it by saving money on the software.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Multiple reports by people have come in since the thread's creation. We would like to remind you all to look at what you write and think, "am I being impartial?"

There are a lot of people trying to console war on both sides and it is, understandably, annoying. Let's all do better.

On what game and what settings?

on 16! newest AAA games in 1080p and high settings.
is 39.4fps averages.
and that pc build has best cpu and best ram.
they telling you need for 1080p and high/ultra setting without compromise
GeForce GTX 1660 Ti + good cpu and goid RAM.

Lort

Banned
SDF in full deployment here.

The ps4 pro is also pretty good value
If u hate DRM and waiting for downloads then the PC needs a disk drive to compare
The xbox can run VLC bittorrent edge spotify .. what exactly do u use a pc for that it cant do?
This forgets actual benchmarks and instead throws hardware that vaguely seems similar
This is for 4k gaming not 1080p and those specs are pretty generous compared to reality ... rx 580 at 4k a cinematic 24 fps https://www.techspot.com/article/1600-far-cry-5-benchmarks/page2.html

Graciaus

There is nothing wrong with using a controller for the majority of pc gaming. Some of you forget one of the great thing about pc is the amount of choice you have in how you play.

Lort

Banned
There is nothing wrong with using a controller for the majority of pc gaming. Some of you forget one of the great thing about pc is the amount of choice you have in how you play.

Ah the choice to use mouse and keyboard so if u want to play with controller its totally unfair.
The choice to be exploited by viruses oe have consistant stuttering caused by AV software
The choice to spend thousands on a better gpu and yet get no actually graphical benefit
The choice to use one of 100 places to launch your seperate lists of games
The choice to play against cheaters or not .. oh sorry you have no choice there

baphomet

Ah the choice to use mouse and keyboard so if u want to play with controller its totally unfair.
The choice to be exploited by viruses oe have consistant stuttering caused by AV software
The choice to spend thousands on a better gpu and yet get no actually graphical benefit

I'm sure you thought you were making some sort of point, but this is literally fucking gibberish.

Lort

Banned
I'm sure you thought you were making some sort of point, but this is literally fucking gibberish.

Ah you cant disprove any one of my points... fyi i can program ASM work as an IT architect i know what more about computers than you

Graciaus

Ah you cant disprove any one of my points... fyi i can program ASM work as an IT architect i know what more about computers than you
And yet the actual point is irrelevant if you don't play competitive games. Shooters and RTS games aren't the only ones on the market either.

1. You can use the controller...to play non multiplayer games?
2. It's really hard in 2019 to get a virus if you have the smallest bit of intelligence.
3. You don't need to buy an expensive GPU to run modern games at 1080.
4. That's a personal preference. I just use Steam/Bnet. Some people go nuts with launchers. Whatever floats your boat.
5. Cheating is nowhere near as rampant as you're claiming. Come on.

In summary: :goog_rolleyes::goog_rolleyes::goog_rolleyes:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Because you can game on a keyboard and mouse. You wanna add KB&M to that xbox one x to be fair? Cuz you know, FPS are better with KB&M.

agreed K&M great for FPS I agree on that but what about driving games or platformers. controller better for them in my opinion

No one would ever build a PC to run games at 30fps. And no one would build a PC to run 4K with only medium settings.

The Xbox one X is $349 or cheaper when on sale. Stfu with this garbage. I spent $600 on a 2080 which is considered a 'steal' for that card. Along with a 1080ti, it's one of the first legitimate, semi-affordable 4k60fps cards. Even with it, you still need to turn down to a mix of high and medium to get over 60fps average in some AAA titles.

So your premise that no one would build it is stupid. It's a 4K card that's overkill for 1440p 144hz (which is what I assume you're alluding to when saying no one would want 4k and medium/30fps when they could have 144hz 1440p). I play mostly shooters so no, 30 isn't OK for me but if you play on the couch on a large TV, it mostly is. So tired of this narrow-minded pc master race garbage getting up voted. It can be true that X is a tremendous value and also true that PC presents advantages that console currently can't touch (but at a price).

What you should have said is these comparisons are inherently flawed to begin with.

Top Bottom