• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

A Timeline roughly like this is the dream scenario and is what Naughty Dog and HBO should be aiming for to maximize the IP and close out Ellie's Journey. If the HBO needs to take a prolonged break of 2 years or so to make it work so be it.

After that take a break from the world for a while and maybe a decent chunk down the line we could see other stories in the universe.

But for me it has to be a trilogy of games!

Tripolygon

Banned
And I read that TWD had a smarter storyline in season 5 how doctors are considered in an apocalypse, a leader wanting to replace a doctor but couldn't and the doctor doing shady stuff to keep his position but here one gets killed because the leader makes a purely emotional decision. 👀
If you put as much effort in scrutinizing your sources as you do TLOU you would realize that the Dr in Grady memorial hospital in TWD is part of their scheme and routine of the place. He treats injured survivors and they become a slave to "work off" the debt. He is alive because he is part of the power structure of the place not because they couldn't kill him.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

A Timeline roughly like this is the dream scenario and is what Naughty Dog and HBO should be aiming for to maximize the IP and close out Ellie's Journey. If the HBO needs to take a prolonged break of 2 years or so to make it work so be it.

After that take a break from the world for a while and maybe a decent chunk down the line we could see other stories in the universe.

If you're Neil, I wonder what it'd be like writing two Part 3's at once, with the subtle differences that have built up over time.

I bet it'd feel like Jim Caviezel does in the 2000 classic movie Frequency where you have two conflicting versions of the past in your head at the same time and you tell your dad's buddy to buy a bunch of Yahoo! stock.

Ulysses 31

If you put as much effort in scrutinizing your sources as you do TLOU you would realize that the Dr in Grady memorial hospital in TWD is part of their scheme and routine of the place. He treats injured survivors and they become a slave to "work off" the debt. He is alive because he is part of the power structure of the place not because they couldn't kill him.
Good thing I added as something I read(got second hand) and not presented it as fact, doesn't change the point that doctors in an apocalypse setting are a rare and valuable commodity and killing one in an emotional decision is dumb(wasn't yet determined he'd stopped doing doctor stuff or ever change his mind since they knew each other for so long).

Tripolygon

Banned
Good thing I added as something I read(got second hand) and not presented it as fact, doesn't change the point that doctors in an apocalypse setting are a rare and valuable commodity and killing one in an emotional decision is dumb(wasn't yet determined he'd stopped doing doctor stuff or ever change his mind since they knew each other for so long).
That's kinda been your thing in this thread hasn't it? You read something or you watched something. What the story line calls for in TWD has nothing to do with a different story in TLOU. Joel killed a Dr based entirely off emotional reasons. In TWD, Rick killed a Surgeon based on emotional reasons, Hershel who is a Vet but acts as a Dr got killed for emotional reasons. Anybody can get killed for any reason, you aren't indispensable just because you are a Dr.

saintjules

If they can space it out properly then it would be ideal. Keeps things fresh without tiring out the viewers. With post apocalyptic worlds/shows, it can get boring quickly.

Ulysses 31

That's kinda been your thing in this thread hasn't it? You read something or you watched something. What the story line calls for in TWD has nothing to do with a different story in TLOU. Joel killed a Dr based entirely off emotional reasons. In TWD, Rick killed a Surgeon based on emotional reasons, Hershel who is a Vet but acts as a Dr got killed for emotional reasons.
If I was wrong about it then I don't mind being called out on it but again, it doesn't diminish the point about the value of doctors in an apocalypse. If in the TWD story line it turns out it was done for emotional reasons too, I'd call it dumb there also.

Joel killed one because that one was going to murder Ellie and he pulled a scalpel on Joel and didn't want to move out of the way.
Anybody can get killed for any reason, you aren't indispensable just because you are a Dr.
Yes but their expertise has a lot of value when it comes to surviving in an apocalypse so unless the doctor becomes insane and puts everyone else in danger, they generally won't be killed as soon as a commoner would. They'd probably enjoy more protection.

Last edited:
If you're Neil, I wonder what it'd be like writing two Part 3's at once, with the subtle differences that have built up over time.

I bet it'd feel like Jim Caviezel does in the 2000 classic movie Frequency where you have two conflicting versions of the past in your head at the same time and you tell your dad's buddy to buy a bunch of Yahoo! stock.
I mean realistically you'd probably have the game release a year or so before the show.

And even still the writing crossover probably wouldn't be as bad as it appears and I'm sure the writing and cutscenes would be finished long before the actual games gets finished and released

Tripolygon

Banned
If I was wrong about it then I don't mind being called out on it but again, it doesn't diminish the point about the value of doctors in an apocalypse. If in the TWD story line it turns out it was done for emotional reasons too, I'd call it dumb there also.
Everything we do is born from some psychological reasons we make up to justify it, that is inherently human nature, yes it is dumb to kill a Dr but doesn't make it any less realistic.
Joel killed one because that one was going to murder Ellie and he pulled a scalpel on Joel and didn't want to move out of the way.
Joel killed the Dr because he got attached to Ellie and she became a surrogate daughter. Before she was just cargo but then she wasn't just cargo anymore. You are now picking and choosing what emotion that you feel is not dumb to justify killing the Dr. Same way, Abby kills Joel for killing her father, Kathleen kills the Dr because she sees him as a hindrance to her revenge for her brother's murder. In the real world you have people attempting to destroy hospitals because they are pro or anti-whatever cause they use to justify psychological decisions they have made.
Yes but their expertise has a lot of value when it comes to surviving in an apocalypse so unless the doctor becomes insane and puts everyone else in danger, they generally won't be killed as soon as a commoner would. They'd probably enjoy more protection.
You are as valuable as someone allows you to be until you stop being valuable to them. He overestimated his usefulness to her, he says "i'm your Dr". Her need for revenge is stronger than his value to her as a Dr.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Everything we do is born from some psychological reasons we make up to justify it, that is inherently human nature, yes it is dumb to kill a Dr but doesn't make it any less realistic.
There could be more to the story that makes it more believable but for now it comes off as very dumb for someone in a leadership position to do.
Joel killed the Dr because he got attached to Ellie and she became a surrogate daughter. Before she was just cargo but then she wasn't just cargo anymore. You are now picking and choosing what emotion that you feel is not dumb to justify killing the Dr. Same way, Abby kills Joel for killing her father, Kathleen kills the Dr because she sees him as a hindrance to her revenge for her brother's murder. In the real world you have people attempting to destroy hospitals because they are pro or anti-whatever cause they use to justify psychological decisions they have made.
Not really, before the hospital Joel said he's not leaving without her and they made future plans. So of course Joel will come to Ellie's defence when someone's going to murder her. Not really picking and choosing if it's directly supported by prior events. Even if it's just an emotional response from Joel, it's also one that stops something immoral from happening.

I have my opinions of TLOU2 but those aren't really relevant for episode 4.

You are as valuable as someone allows you to be until you stop being valuable to them. He overestimated his usefulness to her, he says "i'm your Dr". Her need for revenge is stronger than his value to her as a Dr.
Like I said, if he was a good doctor and hard to replace, you don't just get rid of that one on just for personal vengeance, that seems like bad leadership to me.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Hopefully we get Ellie, Joel, Sam & Henry getting through undergrounds the next episode with Ish backstory told with attention similar to Bill&Frank. I've been waiting for them to explore that shit since PS3 release of the original. Unless that's Ep.6 and Ep.5 is running away from Apocalypse Karen.

I was recently replaying the remake and the Ish section really hit home this time around for some reason. When you find the room with the kids in and Joel is like... Jesus christ.... yeah definitely need to see that story told.

Stooky

To have season 2 by mid 2024 they have to start filming now.

Ulysses 31

If anything it being later is a good thing as it give more time to do Part 3 the game
I'm pretty sure TLOU2 story can't be told in a 9 episode season, it will need 2 seasons if they're adapting that the same way they've adapted TLOU1. So that's even more time for Part 3 but I doubt that's on their the dev minds right now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just saw this in an interview. Bella Ramsey's new hairstyle and look seems in line with what Elllie had in TLOU 2.

Season 02 has been greenlit, so it might be because of that 👀

9U0zek7.png
aiRf7ab.png

WoJ

I'm kind of hate watching the show at this point. First two episodes were great. I'm in the boat that episode 3 was a waste. Not because of the content, but a full episode on an unnecessary side story doesn't do it for me. Last episode was okay.

But the bitter SOB in me is annoyed that now a bunch of people who wanted nothing to do with video games are suddenly trying to tell gamers how great The Last of Us is. We know. We've been here for a decade.

But I digress. I'm old and yell at clouds and realize that isn't a rational way to look at things.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Thoughts on Episode 5:

-Did not come around on Kathleen. Her acting was weak on top of behavior and reputation that didn't seem realistic
-Scenes that were violent in the game have diminished impact when the show is going for more of a PG-13 version of TLOU
-Having Sam be deaf was a good decision. Child actors are bad, generally, so the less talking, the better. Sam was better than Henry
-Thought Sam sharing his secret with Ellie was a nice change, too

Madflavor

Episode 5 was pretty great until the end with the Sam reveal. It paints Ellie as an idiot with a total disregard for her own life. I mean I get she wanted to comfort him, but actually falling asleep in the same room as him is bananas.

RyanEvans21

Episode 5 was pretty great until the end with the Sam reveal. It paints Ellie as an idiot with a total disregard for her own life. I mean I get she wanted to comfort him, but actually falling asleep in the same room as him is bananas.

They just followed the game.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Thoughts on Episode 5:

-Did not come around on Kathleen. Her acting was weak on top of behavior and reputation that didn't seem realistic
-Scenes that were violent in the game have diminished impact when the show is going for more of a PG-13 version of TLOU
-Having Sam be deaf was a good decision. Child actors are bad, generally, so the less talking, the better. Sam was better than Henry
-Thought Sam sharing his secret with Ellie was a nice change, too

I love how ruthless and completely accurate your appraisal of child acting is. Legit chuckled irl.

Jaybe

Really solid episode. Glad the main story beats that I remember were kept even if some specifics are different. Horde scene and the big boy was much welcomed action. I’m glad Kathleen (especially) and Perry are gone. Neither are strong actors and Kathleen was very miscast and unbelievable in voice and mannerisms. Her scenes took me out of the story momentarily.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The idea was she intended to stay awake watching him overnight to see if he turned and fell asleep in the chair by accident.

Like in Part 2, after Ellie kissed a girl in Jackson, Ellie was concerned if she could have gotten that girl infected. So she watched her sleep that night to make sure she didn't turn. This was how Ellie learned she wasn't contagious and why she comfortable years later kissing Dina.

In the show Ellie's options were tell Henry and freak him out before knowing for sure Sam was infected, or wait and see. If hes infected, hes dead anyway. Not like theres any rush and its not like she can infected either. I doubt in the moment she was afraid of an infected Sam potentially killing her.

Its flawed judgement to a degree but sometimes a depressed 14 year old lacks perfect judgment.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Best episode so far..

- I was worried they were going to let Henry and Sam live because their deaths are very important to Ellie and Sam's journey going forward.

- The fight with the infected was insane. And this is the first time we have seen a child clicker?

- Kathleen's character is better in this episode as I wasn't feeling her in episode 4.

- The actor playing Henry was great.

- I thought if Henry and Same were going to die, I thought they were going to change their deaths because people are very sensitive to suicide being depicted in video games today.

- Adding a bit more to their back story was excellent.

tmlDan

I know! they've changed it. Ellie probably thinking she can save sam for putting blood on his wound?
Im sure a part of her believes he could also be immune, there's always a small possibility especially if she is.

Again, flawed logic but she is 14 after all

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ellie's behavior after she found out Sam was infected.

I think she trying not to look scared in front of Sam. Like the Doctor told Sam, "He's scared because you're scared" and I think knew this. While she hugging Sam, you can see her entire facial expression change.

I'm sure we're going to see her go through something similar in a flashback with Riley.

Hugare

Enjoyed the episode quite a bit, but still think that overal execution on the game was so much better

+ They did justice to Henry and Sam, tho I was wondering how they were going to top the cut to black right after Henry kills himself, and yeah, the whole sequence was diminished on the tv series. Ending the episode with a cut to black wouldnt work, and they did the best they could, but the game is still so much better.

+ Loved the Kethleen character, and it served as a great buildup for the revenge storyline that will come up in Part II.

+ They've condensed a lot from the game in one episode (tunnels, escape from the city, Sam's being bitten and etc.) in a smart way

- Still not feeling Joel. Bella's Ellie has grown on me, but Pascal's Joel is still too much unlikable. In the game he shows way more range.

- Setpieces in general are much better acted and coreographed in the game. Every scene that the series tries to mimic the game, it delivers a worse version. Not only Ashley's/Troy's performance were pretty much perfect, but ND animators have perfected each scene by hand. Its tough to beat, borderline impossible.
So I preffer when the series show something new (Bill's episode or Kethleen on this one).

Last edited:

If I was Neil, I would invite Mazin to co-write Part III with me.
I am suggesting it not only because Mazin is a fan of the universe, but also because Neil and he, were they to cooperate, would be able to generate enough ideas for both the game and the TV show. Plus, what better example of synergy than to have two acclaimed creators, from two separate media, join forces in such a way? It could pave the way for similar initiatives within Sony, but not only.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The idea that all of the infected came pouring out of the ground makes absolutely no sense.

FEDRA pushing all of the infected underground 3 years ago? Sure. But how does that equate to hundreds of them somehow being underground under a house in an abandoned neighborhood a large distance away from the tunnels?

If they're going to deviate from the source material, they need to actually make it make sense and/or make it better than the source material. Otherwise, what's the point?

I did enjoy the episode overall but it was my least favorite of the season and felt the most "videogame-y", in a bad way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom