• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

If I was Neil, I would invite Mazin to co-write Part III with me.
I am suggesting it not only because Mazin is a fan of the universe, but also because Neil and he, were they to cooperate, would be able to generate enough ideas for both the game and the TV show. Plus, what better example of synergy than to have two acclaimed creators, from two separate media, join forces in such a way? It could pave the way for similar initiatives within Sony, but not only.
In any case, the show will just improve Neil's writing and game direction, a win-win.

I did enjoy the episode overall but it was my least favorite of the season and felt the most "videogame-y", in a bad way.
I prefer the horde coming out and clearing everything because anything else would of been videogame-y and far fetched

In any case, the show will just improve Neil's writing and game direction, a win-win.

I prefer the horde coming out and clearing everything because anything else would of been videogame-y and far fetched

How is, say, a group of infected out in the woods near the neighborhood hearing the gunfire and car engines and running towards it "videogame-y and far fetched"?

That's just something off the top of my head; I'm sure there's many other much better ideas than hundreds of infected somehow living/burrowing underground in a random abandoned neighborhood.. like, what?

It's not the end of the world but it's poor writing and makes no sense.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The idea that all of the infected came pouring out of the ground makes absolutely no sense.

FEDRA pushing all of the infected underground 3 years ago? Sure. But how does that equate to hundreds of them somehow being underground under a house in an abandoned neighborhood a large distance away from the tunnels?

If they're going to deviate from the source material, they need to actually make it make sense and/or make it better than the source material. Otherwise, what's the point?

I did enjoy the episode overall but it was my least favorite of the season and felt the most "videogame-y", in a bad way.

This part is very similar to the game.

The exit leads you right to the houses and the infected appear at the end of the shootout.

The infected were pushed underground, and that's where people were hiding. This is why there were so many people infected underground.

Laieon

More and more I'm feeling like we'll see one of the TLOU2 infected appear in the first season. The infected are very clearly more fewer-and-far-between in the TV show, and the behind the scenes preview said something alone the lines of "and this is the most infected we've seen so far". I just get the impression that each time they'll appear they'll up the anti a bit, and I'm not sure how we get bigger than a bloater and clickers from here. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if we see a shambler.

Last edited:
This part is very similar to the game.

The exit leads you right to the houses and the infected appear at the end of the shootout.

The infected were pushed underground, and that's where people were hiding. This is why there were so many people infected underground.

They were pushed to the underground tunnels beneath the city. It wouldn't make a lick of sense for those underground tunnels to extend to right below a house in an abandoned residential neighborhood.

How is, say, a group of infected out in the woods near the neighborhood hearing the gunfire and car engines and running towards it "videogame-y and far fetched"?

That's just something off the top of my head; I'm sure there's many other much better ideas than hundreds of infected somehow living/burrowing underground in a random abandoned neighborhood.. like, what?

It's not the end of the world but it's poor writing and makes no sense.
The tunnels were not far from that location and in episode 4 we were specifically showed a bloater was down there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Brutal episode. They did a great job adapting the fate of the brothers. The last scene with Ellie and Sam was gut wrenching.

Making him mute and deaf is just classic diversity Olympics. Like why? Game Sam is such a great little character and his interactions with Ellie were a highlight in the game. They were more or less equal and here shes more like an older sister. It's fine. Just unnecessary. At least, the actor for Sam was really good and way better than his brother. Both Ellie and him sold the finale so I cant complain too much. But I will.

One of the reasons why the finale works in the game is that amazing cut to black and then you end up in Colorado. It is so fucking perfect I dont know why any director wouldnt just copy paste. Changing Henry's dialogue is also bizarre. It's perfect dude. Giving the Henry reaction to Ellie instead of Joel is also weird. Are we going to give Pedro ANY scenes to work with? Is this an Ellie show? Honestly, I dont think ive seen a single scene since the first episode where ive seen Pedro given ANY dramatic material to work with.

Other than that, the sniper setpiece was way better here. really liked the action in this episode. shot very well and cinematography was great. I am not sure why we needed Kansas Karen in the episode. It makes no sense other than to have a huge war scene at the end but they couldve had it without all the needless world building. Especially since they all get destroyed and barely put up a fight including the main badass who stands there and gets his head chopped off by a bloater.

They should learn from Game of Thrones and make side characters badass. People who've survived in this world for 20 years are battle hardened survivors and should not just give up like that. Sometimes its just cool to see a random dude do cool things. Big missed opportunity here.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They were pushed to the underground tunnels beneath the city. It wouldn't make a lick of sense for those underground tunnels to extend to right below a house in an abandoned residential neighborhood.
The exit in both the game and the show leads directly to the city. It's right next to each other lol

So it would make sense that the tunnels would also be under some houses.

Madflavor

The idea was she intended to stay awake watching him overnight to see if he turned and fell asleep in the chair by accident.

Like in Part 2, after Ellie kissed a girl in Jackson, Ellie was concerned if she could have gotten that girl infected. So she watched her sleep that night to make sure she didn't turn. This was how Ellie learned she wasn't contagious and why she comfortable years later kissing Dina.

In the show Ellie's options were tell Henry and freak him out before knowing for sure Sam was infected, or wait and see. If hes infected, hes dead anyway. Not like theres any rush and its not like she can infected either. I doubt in the moment she was afraid of an infected Sam potentially killing her.

Its flawed judgement to a degree but sometimes a depressed 14 year old lacks perfect judgment.

You know what, you've turned me around on this. I think this is a case where the game did it slightly better, but I no longer dislike how the show handled that scene.

Sleepwalker

The tunnels were not far from that location and in episode 4 we were specifically showed a bloater was down there.
When was the bloater shown? Cant remember.

Loved the episode, in the previous episode the bearded old soldier kept insisting to kathleen about the underground problem getting worse and worse and with the way theyve handled the infected (touching roots will wake up and bring the horde) it makes sense in the show universe for them to gather there.

Yoboman

More and more I'm feeling like we'll see one of the TLOU2 infected appear in the first season. The infected are very clearly more fewer-and-far-between in the TV show, and the behind the scenes preview said something alone the lines of "and this is the most infected we've seen so far". I just get the impression that each time they'll appear they'll up the anti a bit, and I'm not sure how we get bigger than a bloater and clickers from here. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if we see a shambler.
Nah

In fact this is probably the last infected we see until probably the finale or the episode before IMO

Yoboman

The idea that all of the infected came pouring out of the ground makes absolutely no sense.

FEDRA pushing all of the infected underground 3 years ago? Sure. But how does that equate to hundreds of them somehow being underground under a house in an abandoned neighborhood a large distance away from the tunnels?

If they're going to deviate from the source material, they need to actually make it make sense and/or make it better than the source material. Otherwise, what's the point?

Almost like a big explosion might draw infected who reapond to sound

It was good but somehow it felt rushed.
They focused too much on newer characters. In addition, it felt like Henry's actor was rushing through his lines when speaking to Joel. It was entertaining but definitely felt like it was moving at 1.5x speed.

Great episode

Only bad thing was Kathleen again, totally miscast
I think the casting was a purposeful move. Like The Walking Dead, it's meant to show how anyone anywhere can turn into the type of monster that she turned into depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Wow, I think the game did it slightly better but this one still hit hard knowing what was coming. Second best episode for me after EP3, and the entire sniper shoot-out + bloater sequence: 👌. Show's on a streak so far, hoping it keeps up for the remaining 4 episodes.

I just don’t think it’s convincing

I don’t think anyone anywhere can turn into someone like that, even with her brother killed.
From seeing how charged people have been in real life over minor things, I don't know if I can believe this anymore. I think a lot of people would gladly remove some masks if we ever had any type of zombie situation and you'd see the worst of us.

I love this episode. Maybe Henry and Sam last momment seem rushed but the scene when Ellie and Sam interact with each other is a really nice touch.

And yeah Kathleen is miscast... She doesn't convinced me at all. The character's just bad. Make bad decisions, don't care about other group members, ... Maybe they should have flashback with her brother or how she help the group fight back FEDRA etc to convice audience believe in het character.

Overall it's great but the game's still better.

Last edited:
89e64fb06dfa5b47ed16c0fbf1a6f195.png

lmao

dugdug

Banned
Just noticed something else. There's something unsettling in realizing that Sam was just sitting there because he's deaf. Even if he ever went to go full on clicker he couldn't do shit ,he would just sit there. Waiting, looking at the sunrise forever, as his brain was slowly eaten away. He'll be the worst infected in history lol.
Once they announced he would be deaf in the show, I knew this scene was going to be that much more brutal.

Thinking back to the game, it makes no sense that infected Sam would just wait in the other room while Henry’s cooking and laughing with Joel. If he can’t hear them, though…

Definitely an uptick in quality since eps 1. ( 3 was good but not as a tlou eps imo)

First eps that i kinda came around to ellie.

Still think the show was terribly miscast overall. Kathleen being the latest character.

Was content with henry/sam though

Needed a shot of joel grabbing rifle ammo or another reloading sequence during the chaos.

Ellie knifing was nice

Again though, all this show makes me want to do is play the game.

I dont know why but im just not heavily invested in the show like some other shows/movies. Maybe im just old and jaded by media these days

Last edited:

HoodWinked

The deaf device did serve a purpose for many scenes but they probably knew it would make directing easier since it meant the kid wouldn't have any lines.

Also I think Bella Ramsey was actually well cast for the role. Being a precocious smart ass is believable in her look. A more attractive actresses delivering the same lines would feel out of character.

And as many stated Kathleen was terribly cast. It's funny that in a world of zombies her being the leader of the rebellion the least believable things in the show.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The big baddie was so out of place, why aren't all of them turned into this? It just doesn't make sense and looks unbelievable in this world, this is where they should've moved away from the monster things because it looks ridiculous. Or if they talked about them connecting to each other (like that kiss with Tess) I would've changed it to an enemy that's made out of different people.

Episode was a bit weak. The action set piece lacked punch. How many more deaf kids in the apocalypse are we going to get after A Quiet Place, A Quiet Place 2 and Resident Evil: Retribution?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The big baddie was so out of place, why aren't all of them turned into this? It just doesn't make sense and looks unbelievable in this world, this is where they should've moved away from the monster things because it looks ridiculous. Or if they talked about them connecting to each other (like that kiss with Tess) I would've changed it to an enemy that's made out of different people.
That's a bloater and it takes them nearly 20 years to develop. Most infected don't last more than 4 years (according to the show).

Woggleman

Great episode and they fleshed out the Kathleen character. She isn't supposed to be this big competent leader but sort of a nepo baby who inherited her position and is acting out of pure emotion. She endangers her town by ignoring the rumbling under the ground and killing a doctor in a time when they would be desperately needed.

I also see how Henry's decision sort of foreshadows what Joel will do later on.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This episode should have gotten all the hype episode 3 got. Shit was so good.

That was a bloater, they've been infected for 20+ years. Theres only a few of them. Most of them have been trapped in a room with no escape allowing the infection to just grow and grow. Heard it on the podcast. And if you look closely, they gave the grey beard guy in the show the same death Joel gets in the game. A+

last-of-us-joel-dying.jpg

Woggleman

If Kathleen was smart she would have realized that Henry and Sam were victims of Fedra as well. They held medicine from a child and Henry a terrible decision that she herself would have made.

Woggleman

Overall they are doing a great job with this series but I was looking forward to more flashbacks at the start of each episode. I admit I am a little sad that we haven't had more.

Top Bottom