• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Bartski

Gold Member
damn that was SO GOOD! Pulling just enough from the game but not too much. I really hope we see some child clickers in Part 3

My favorite episode so far. I have criticisms, but nitpicking it to death would be disingenuous. My girl said it was first "great" episode for her, she cried and is still talking about it today. She hasn't played the games, only seen me play parts, so all this is new to her.

This was the first episode for me that even came close to evoking the feeling of the game. The game is still miles better, but I'm finally starting to warm up to the show. I hope this episode is an indication of what's to come.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Given the road map for the HBO series and the episode last night, it got me thinking: GOD I hope they pull out all the stops and hire some REALLY high end prosthetics and practical effects from someone with a good pedigree for the Rat King.

If done correctly, that shit has the potential to be one of the freakiest things in live action television in a few years. If done wrong, well...it will be entertaining for a different set of reasons.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Given the road map for the HBO series and the episode last night, it got me thinking: GOD I hope they pull out all the stops and hire some REALLY high end prosthetics and practical effects from someone with a good pedigree for the Rat King.

If done correctly, that shit has the potential to be one of the freakiest things in live action television in a few years. If done wrong, well...it will be entertaining for a different set of reasons.
They have the guy who did Vecna in Stranger Things 4, and the blue demon guy in Game of Thrones.

Best in the industry, next to Greg Nicotero on Walking Dead

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I think it's too slow and boring. It intersects with the game at many points and I would rather replay the game than watch this. Maybe it would have been better as a movie rather than a series.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realise that they released episode 5 early. There was some pacing issues but it was a great episode.

Last edited:
This is how they should've handled episode 3.

A bit more background story, but ultimately not changing all that muh from the game. They changed enough to keep things fresh, but didn't take away from Joel and Ellie too much.

Also made me realize how shit episode 3 was for this series, by focussing completely on Bill and Hank.

This was the best episode so far, along with episode 1.

Last edited:
This is how they should've handled episode 3.

A bit more background story, but ultimately not changing all that muh from the game. They changed enough to keep things fresh, but didn't take away from Joel and Ellie too much.

Also made me realize how shit episode 3 was for this series, by focussing completely on Bill and Hank.

This was the best episode so far, along with episode 1.

who is hank, an hour plus and you don't know the character's name... you're the problem

I think it's too slow and boring. It intersects with the game at many points and I would rather replay the game than watch this. Maybe it would have been better as a movie rather than a series.
Probably best to stick with pew pew action movies

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That's a bloater and it takes them nearly 20 years to develop. Most infected don't last more than 4 years (according to the show).
I didn't catch that on the show, it looked like something out of place imo. And if he was a loner why is he coming out with all the people ,and why is he acting like he's coming to fight and not just infect like the rest of them? Why is he throwing people up and shit. Again, my opinion gives the show a bit of silliness.

VulcanRaven

This was the first weaker episode in my opinion.
Sam and Henry were great and I liked the first half of the episode. That Bloater scene wasn't good and it felt out of place. It should have appeared in the tunnels and not like this. That could have been more scary. I liked that scene near the end with Ellie and Sam. I kind of wish they hadn't shown Joel burying Sam and Henry. It might have been more in character for him to just want to move on quickly.

Last edited:
Episode 4/5 was the first time the changes from the game were definitively worse, in my opinion (changes prior to this were either better or roughly the same). I'm sorry, but there ain't no fucking way in the post-Apocalypse that a militia group is going to be taking orders from Karen from HR. Oh, I mean Kathleen. I don't care that her brother was the previously leader. Any one of the heavily armed men with military training would have taken over immediately. Very poor casting for that role. All so Neil Druckmann can tell us "revenge is bad" again. I'm now officially worried all his Part 2 reconning of Part 1 is going to start really rearing it's ugly head.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Episode 4/5 was the first time the changes from the game were definitively worse, in my opinion (changes prior to this were either better or roughly the same). I'm sorry, but there ain't no fucking way in the post-Apocalypse that a militia group is going to be taking orders from Karen from HR. Oh, I mean Kathleen. I don't care that her brother was the previously leader. Any one of the heavily armed men with military training would have taken over immediately. Very poor casting for that role. All so Neil Druckmann can tell us "revenge is bad" again. I'm now officially worried all his Part 2 reconning of Part 1 is going to start really rearing it's ugly head.
Uh, what?

Part II was never retconned and a militia group is more likely to follow someone if 1) her brother was a leader of the group, 2) the group treated her family as their leaders, 3) the top men within that organization (for example Perry) are close to their family and are willing to carry out their orders.

It's unlikely they would disband because they will still look to the family for guidance.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I didn't catch that on the show, it looked like something out of place imo. And if he was a loner why is he coming out with all the people ,and why is he acting like he's coming to fight and not just infect like the rest of them? Why is he throwing people up and shit. Again, my opinion gives the show a bit of silliness.
That's how the bloater is in the game. He's a tank and fights with his hands and throws people across the room.

This is one of the major infected enemies in the series and he's bound to make an appearance. lol

Great episode and they fleshed out the Kathleen character. She isn't supposed to be this big competent leader but sort of a nepo baby who inherited her position and is acting out of pure emotion. She endangers her town by ignoring the rumbling under the ground and killing a doctor in a time when they would be desperately needed.

I also see how Henry's decision sort of foreshadows what Joel will do later on.
So are all these people following her? That made no sense to me.

Also so many deus ex machina in this episode. Took me right out.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

The action kinda reminds me of a wayyy smaller scale “The Long Night”, coincidentally the episode Bella dies in GoT.

I like some of the changes but I personally never liked how Henry and Sam played out in the game and given the liberties taken with Bill and Frank was kind of hoping they took this chapter in a better direction. The sniper segment was A1 and brilliantly executed.

Ozzie666

Episode turned out great. I was concerned at first thinking we weren't going to get much Joel and Ellie. But it ended up being the perfect mix of back story and pushing the plot forward, the action was decent too. Henry and Sam didn't feel wasted, and they had impact. It hit a lot of beats and reworked the game scenes a fair bit. It's been a while since I played the game too, but it felt like I was there again. Makes me wonder how I put up with Walking Dead for so long and so many characters.

This was the first weaker episode in my opinion.
Sam and Henry were great and I liked the first half of the episode. That Bloater scene wasn't good and it felt out of place. It should have appeared in the tunnels and not like this. That could have been more scary. I liked that scene near the end with Ellie and Sam. I kind of wish they hadn't shown Joel burying Sam and Henry. It might have been more in character for him to just want to move on quickly.
The scene you didn't care for is implied in the game later on.
Ellie mentions forgetting to put the robot on Sam's grave or something like that

Fbh

Yeah episode 5 was great, probably my favourite one so far. Good mix of drama and action with good pacing.

I found this more emotionally engaging (and heartbreaking ) than episode 3 while simultaneously being more fun to watch.

MiguelItUp

Man, I'm not sure what some people's expectations are for a live-action show based on a video game. But they seem to be coming from some perfect and impossible place that will never exist, lol. I personally feel like this has been outstanding thus far. Easily the best live action adaptation of a video game, yet. Hell, my girlfriend doesn't even play games and she's really enjoying the show. I think a lot of people are in similar positions, and that says a lot.

I'm shocked that some episodes and scenes have been as good as they are considering it's from a video game. Really, it's pretty wild. It makes me really curious to see how other live-action video game adaptations are going to be handled in the future.

DelireMan7

Great episode for me.

Just the chef of the rebellion was really badly done.
And a nitpick : I don't like how they do non subtil and useless "foreshadowing" for the ending, like the letter end of episode 3 and now the "Children die it's destiny" or something like that. With a camera shot on Joel.

Other than that very enjoyable episode.

Top Bottom