• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Duxxy3

I'm the writer of the COG review and wanted to ask you guys about this whole always online point and how many critics are dropping the score due to a lack of career mode. My review reads more like a scathing op-ed against that opinion.

What do you guys think should be the standard when going into multiplayer-only games? For me, it makes no logical sense to not accept the game as it is and therefore dropping the score due to a lack of career is heinously unfair.

It's using the Gran Turismo name. There are certain expectations that people have when a Gran Turismo game comes out.

Egida

Neo Member
I'm the writer of the COG review and wanted to ask you guys about this whole always online point and how many critics are dropping the score due to a lack of career mode. My review reads more like a scathing op-ed against that opinion.

What do you guys think should be the standard when going into multiplayer-only games? For me, it makes no logical sense to not accept the game as it is and therefore dropping the score due to a lack of career is heinously unfair.
The game was never announced as multiplayer only thou. They've been telling us for years that all the content you can expect from a full GT was going to be there. This is not a Spin Off either and probably the only GT we are going to see on PS4.

They put together license tests and challenges and labeled Campaign what is in fact a in depth tutorial for Sport mode. IMO the intention is clear.

After 4 years they release a game that is brilliant in many aspects, but lacks severely in others, compared both to past entries and his competitors. Some reviews are ok with that, and others aren't, just as many players enjoy the game and others can't. So I think scores are fair.

farisr

I feel like PD did a pretty good job of explaining this one would be different
They did a mediocre job in the beginning (this is GT7, this isn't GT7, I wanted to call it GT7, but called it Sport because it's a little different), they did a good job after that point for about a year and a half or so, and they did a poor job in the last few months leading up to release with shit like "85% of the game experience is offline" and "nothing has been cut from the past games"

It's using the Gran Turismo name. There are certain expectations that people have when a Gran Turismo game comes out.

And even then what is there is pretty bare bones. It's not like Polyphony have reinvented the wheel and pushed out a revolutionary multiplayer experience with a wealth of multiplayer options.
I understand that what they have produced is very focused and accomplished and will also be improved upon as time goes by, but from what I have seen its not what youd expect from a full price, triple AAA title on day one. It has a whiff of the incomplete to it which I think rightly reviewers have jumped on.

synce

Wow, Gamespot delaying their review until November. Interestingly there's a GT Sport ad playing right before their own video - there seems to be another Kane and Lynch style conflict of interest here.

Sony probably could've avoided some of this backlash if they released the game as F2P, or half-priced at best. I don't think reviewers should be trying to come up with excuses to delay the review of a full priced GT game.

Wow, Gamespot delaying their review until November. Interestingly there's a GT Sport ad playing right before their own video - there seems to be another Kane and Lynch style conflict of interest here.

Sony probably could've avoided some of this backlash if they released the game as F2P, or half-priced at best. I don't think reviewers should be trying to come up with excuses to delay the review of a full priced GT game.

So one site delays their review to November, while other sites have given it sub-7 scores already, and you're ready to make that absurd leap in logic?

Loudninja

You cant be serious.

I guess their review in progress was all part of the plan?

Good decision. The initial write up was all over the place but seeing as the online tournament mode is a core feature it seems wise to include this. As the Sport mode has already changed in its details from launch and the beta demo we still don't really know what it is all about and have only seen a snippet what they are planning.

Apex

Ars Technica
The Ugly

• In-car views are still not amazing.
T5uyvvl.gif

:/

Septic360

Banned
So brehs....the dust has settled. GTS is one of the lowest rates GT games. Forza retains the throne and Neogaf gets merked over some scandal including vomit.

Talk to meh.

So brehs....the dust has settled. GTS is one of the lowest rates GT games. Forza retains the throne and Neogaf gets merked over some scandal including vomit.

Talk to meh.

Was there really ever any doubt? Aside from fanboys hoping and wishing? Forza will remain the king for a long time by the looks of it.

Septic360

Banned
Was there really ever any doubt? Aside from fanboys hoping and wishing? Forza will remain the king for a long time by the looks of it.

Well you should see some of the downright moronic comments here :

http://n4g.com/news/2115449/how-gran-turismo-sport-has-returned-the-series-to-greatness

Apparently it's a masterpiece according to some. Expect this narrative to spin out of control until the revisionist history then suggests that rampant bias and people not 'understanding' GT resulted in it getting merked in reviews

yume_2501

I like a lot GTS, i don t know if it s a masterpiece but please can you stop bashing other people opinions? Anyway if you love fm so much there is the OT for it ;)

IKizzLE

Pros:
Great gameplay and sound

Very fair and tense online racing

Incredible graphical presentation top to bottom

Cons:
Lack of older classic cars, iconic cars such as the mclaren f1 and modern staples like Koenigsegg and Pagani. Overall lack of diversity and glaring omissions.

Lack of a ton of staple tracks, from Laguna Seca and Spa

Lack of substantial cosmetic damage

Lack of dynamic weather conditions and dynamic time of day

Lack of a proper single player content that is an enhancement from the previous GTs (those weren't good either honestly)

Personal score: 7.5/10.
At the end of the day, 10/10 simulator wrapped in a 5/10 game. This is not new for PD. If they plan to work on games for so long and not push the genre forward in every aspect (Still behind in literally everything and kind of caught up to iRacing in online), especially as market leader with a ton of upstarts biting at their ankles, then I will probably never be satisfied by another GT game again. Atleast online is fun but hopefully this daily race thing is fixed asap.

Megalo

GTS is very very strong imo. Wonderful presentation, great online mode and the gameplay just feels right. The focus totally shifted since the last GT I played (GT5) and I actually like it.
It's less like a pokemon with cars and more like a true competition.

I'm playing with motion control and, to my surprise, it's amazing. Very precise and intuitive. I just can't come back to the stick (I don't have any wheel obviously).

yume_2501

GTS is very very strong imo. Wonderful presentation, great online mode and the gameplay just feels right. The focus totally shifted since the last GT I played (GT5) and I actually like it.

I'm playing with motion control and, to my surprise, it's amazing. Very precise and intuitive. I just can't come back to the stick (I don't have any wheel obviously).
I m using a g27+gimx, love it. A friend of mine dropped motion control because hurted his arms XD

RossoneR

Banned

Yeah, agree. When i draw the line, i realised i spend 70% of my gaming on online mp, fps etc. so i have no problem with direction. Its inevitable.

They should bring more offline content for people who play single player mostly and offer saves for offline content. I don know if thats possible. At least it d tone down whining from some people.

Stillmatic

Talk to meh.
Forza is the king of review scores.

GT is the king of gamers buying the game.

Which game you actually like better? Completely personal choice.

wapplew

And Turn10 will have enough funding for next 20 Forza thanks to new business model.
I bet revenue wise, Forza 7 is the king too even with less physical copy sold.
Yea, I don’t see anyone can take Forza’s crown for long long time.

FM7 89
PC2 85
GTS 74

Sales GTS>FM7>PC2

PC2 FM7 sales will be close however, could go either way.

Actual
FM7 86
PC2 85 - Xbox 86/PC 85/PS4 83 = 84.666
GTS 76 (so far)

The loot box thing might've knocked FM7 down a bit, I didn't see that coming but pretty close all round.

Predicting 89 meta for GTS was crazy talk.

Septic360

Banned
Actual
FM7 86
PC2 86 (maybe it would be best to average out the platforms?)
GTS 76 (so far)

The loot box thing might've knocked FM7 down a bit, I didn't see that coming but pretty close all round.

Predicting 89 meta for GTS was crazy talk.

Crazy how close you were though.

There was some 90+ meta talk for GTS as well; that sounded insane to me after playing the demo.

Crazy how close you were though.

There was some 90+ meta talk for GTS as well; that sounded insane to me after playing the demo.

Yeah. GTS could drop some more, it was 75 not long ago.

I edited the pcars average and it rounds up to 85, that is dead on I'd say. Just overestimated FM7.

Tutomos

And Turn10 will have enough funding for next 20 Forza thanks to new business model.
I bet revenue wise, Forza 7 is the king too even with less physical copy sold.
Yea, I don’t see anyone can take Forza’s crown for long long time.

Seems like wishful thinking on your guys' part. People have tried the GTS demo and they decide on their purchase based on what they played, not on what the review scores say.

c0de

Seems like wishful thinking on your guys' part. People have tried the GTS demo and they decide on their purchase based on what they played, not on what the review scores say.

What is "people"? This isn't known in exact quantity and there were quite a few on GAF saying the game wasn't for them.

Tutomos

What is "people"? This isn't known in exact quantity and there were quite a few on GAF saying the game wasn't for them.

It's all about giving the "people" an opportunity to try the game themselves. The people who don't just judge a game by the review scores. You know what there is no exact quantity but Sony knows a demo for a good game will definitely increase sales and that's why they did it in the first place.

You got your vocal minority that complained about the game, and you got people who liked the game enough to buy it.

c0de

It's all about giving the "people" an opportunity to try the game themselves. The people who don't just judge a game by the review scores. You know what there is no exact quantity but Sony knows a demo for a good game will definitely increase sales and that's why they did it in the first place.

You got your vocal minority that complained about the game, and you got people who liked the game enough to buy it.

Oh yes, user reception is through the roof!

Well racing games ARE about cars...and races.
Different perspective though. I didn’t want to play another rags to riches car campaign and mod an old civic (my favorite car btw) to blow through stupid AI. This GTS is perfect for me and currently a 9/10 product IMO.

My only major gripe is not enough production cars.

There are many that missed they specific part of GT though, sucks PD couldn’t satisfy both sides.

Tutomos

Oh yes, user reception is through the roof!

Seems people voted with their wallet. Get out of the GAF bubble that's making us seen like a toxic place by many.

Not saying everyone likes or has to like the game. But one would think the game would turn out to be doing really bad if it's really like what it was painted by a few here.

Vroadstar

Didn't GTS just sell three times Forza? Seems pretty good "user reception" to me.

All these Forza fans in a GT thread make me laugh.

I know right, they all come up with their own spins in the GTS UK Sales thread. Acceptance is hard from them I guess.

Tutomos

GT always sells better than Forza. Best to just compare its reception to previous games in the series.

And there's a reason for that. A lesser game will sell better than a better game once or twice, but the better game will sell better eventually. It doesn't look like Forza is the game that can satisfy the majority of gamer out there for all these years.

MaDKaT

And there's a reason for that. A lesser game will sell better than a better game once or twice, but the better game will sell better eventually. It doesn't look like Forza is the game that can satisfy the majority of gamer out there for all these years.

Sort of. GT has other things going for it. Like being backed by stronger global hardware support. Especially in regions that tend to sell more racing games.

Fiber

Some bunch of idiots say 'The best simulator''.

The best simulator? You can go upper 300 km/h, and you can downshit to 2nd gear.
Guess what, nothing happens, no engine brake, no engine damage, no compression lock-up, nothing.
What the fuck are you guys smoking exactly?

MaDKaT

Some bunch of idiots say 'The best simulator''.

The best simulator? You can go upper 300 km/h, and you can downshit to 2nd gear.
Guess what, nothing happens, no engine brake, no engine damage, no compression lock-up, nothing.
What the fuck are you guys smoking exactly?

That is a pretty weak argument. Just because it's not a complete sim doesn't negate that what it does, it does well.

c0de

Seems people voted with their wallet. Get out of the GAF bubble that's making us seen like a toxic place by many.

Not saying everyone likes or has to like the game. But one would think the game would turn out to be doing really bad if it's really like what it was painted by a few here.

This we will see in a few weeks and months.

c0de

Didn't GTS just sell three times Forza? Seems pretty good "user reception" to me.

All these Forza fans in a GT thread make me laugh.

Ah, buying a game is liking a game? Everyday you learn something new on GAF. First, negative reviews like on Amazon around the globe are fake news, now people who buy a game also like it.

Pros:
Great gameplay and sound

Very fair and tense online racing

Incredible graphical presentation top to bottom

Cons:
Lack of older classic cars, iconic cars such as the mclaren f1 and modern staples like Koenigsegg and Pagani. Overall lack of diversity and glaring omissions.

Lack of a ton of staple tracks, from Laguna Seca and Spa

Lack of substantial cosmetic damage

Lack of dynamic weather conditions and dynamic time of day

Lack of a proper single player content that is an enhancement from the previous GTs (those weren't good either honestly)

Personal score: 7.5/10.
At the end of the day, 10/10 simulator wrapped in a 5/10 game. This is not new for PD. If they plan to work on games for so long and not push the genre forward in every aspect (Still behind in literally everything and kind of caught up to iRacing in online), especially as market leader with a ton of upstarts biting at their ankles, then I will probably never be satisfied by another GT game again. Atleast online is fun but hopefully this daily race thing is fixed asap.

This is a very accurate review that falls in line with a lot of review outlets that specialize in sim racing.

Its got a great core, but needs more content.

Wheres my Trial Mountain polyphony?

Top Bottom