• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

onanie

When people defend the game while there are obvious shortcomings it can't feel different but you are already getting personal for whatever reason so keep on doing your thing here.

I don't think you've been following. There are shortcomings, but also strengths that can be highlighted. My posts would reflect that.

I'm not sure why you're taking it personally, and are always without fail, defensive when Forza or Microsoft is brought up, but you are also welcome to keep doing your thing here.

I will give this game one thing....the sportsmanship ratings appear to work...you don't get the first corner missiles or dickheads trying to pit man you on a straight....I really hope they patch this game with more stuff quickly as it's gonna die pretty quick if they don't add more stuff

onanie

I will give this game one thing....the sportsmanship ratings appear to work...you don't get the first corner missiles or dickheads trying to pit man you on a straight....I really hope they patch this game with more stuff quickly as it's gonna die pretty quick if they don't add more stuff

Hope so too, but the intro credits list seems quite small. I'm not sure if it is representative of the entire team, but they'll probably be slow with the DLC.

I can defend the game while it has obvious shortcomings. What's the problem with that?

Because according to internet rules you have to choose a side and stick to it...

But seriously, I'm also extremely torn when it comes to making up my mind about GTS. As a fan of the series since 1997 and huge fan of offline racing, GTS is not what I asked for. Not even remotely close. Yet, I was hoping PD would developed GT. From a Driving simulator to a Racing simulator. Like in, getting rid of flying starts (except ovals) and rabbit chasing events, making overtaking AI opponents a real challenge for the first time in the series. All that combined with a campaign that offers more than just having to grind the 2-3 best "credits per minute driven" events at some point. I also miss the dynamic ToD, I fucking LOVED this in GT5, and actually drove both real-time 24h events in LeMans and Nurburgring a couple of times. It was just an amazing and challenging experience, and it was so cool that with every lap, the track, especially the Nordschleife, looked different.

PD however decided otherwise. It isn't my cup of tea BUT that doesn't make GTS a bad game per se. From what I've learned an experienced driving an early beta in May 2016, PD had a vision for GTS and pretty much nailed that one. One can still criticize the lack of content of course (which actually is a common thing among GaaS games, I mean, they WANT you to get thirsty for more after all), but the core game itself seems to be awesome (hence my comment about GTS not needing a "patch", but content).

I for one decided not to buy this game anytime soon. Maybe later, once it's heavily discounted OR they introduce more content - tracks, cars and offline modes of course. Like with GTA5, I do not expect the last one to actually happen.

The little devil on my left shoulder actually hopes this game underperforms, so Sony and PD consider introducing a real "7". The game's technical foundation for that is excellent. How hard can it be?!

Metascore just dropped one more point. It's 75 now. I think it will settle on this, looks like the majority of outlets are gravitating around the 7.5/10 vote.

I'm not really taking that much notice of MC right now, as they only have 28 reviews total at the moment (17 Good, 11 Mixed) and only 12 reviews with a 8-10 score, yet on OP of this thread there are 21 reviews with 8-10 scores.

Not sure why 9 of those high scoring reviews don't count but I'm sure they would have a positive effect on the MC score.

Personally I think the game is a solid 8, it's not perfect but I like it a lot so far and when the DLC starts expanding the game, it will be even better.

Crayon

But seriously, I'm also extremely torn when it comes to making up my mind about GTS. As a fan of the series since 1997 and huge fan of offline racing, GTS is not what I asked for. Not even remotely close.

I feel similar but I'm not torn. I was completely taken by surprise by the demo recently and found the new game to be fantastic. I did not have much faith in the concept going in. I was going to buy the game to assess it for myself but I was already looking into assetto Corsa or some alternative for a single player controller driven sim.

Now old Gran Turismo is dead. So sad. I will have to pick up assetto or something else for a single player sim. But now there is this new thing to play with: a super accessible virtual racing league service and it's made of that top shelf Gran Turismo stuff. So happy.

It's been a long time since something new came along for me when it comes to racing games. I had often looked at stuff like iracing and thought that was something I'd like to try. But you know you kind of need to get a setup and do it right. Takes a lil commitment. Gts brings it to me very easily. Almost accidentally.

So I'm sad and I'm happy too. But not torn.

Stygr

Banned
After 4 days i sold it, bought it at 40€ and sold it at the same price. I was really really disappointed, this is not the GT that i was looking for.
I'll stick with Forza 7 and PCars 2

See you in 5 years PD.

Digital Foundry Forza 7 vs GT Sport Graphics Comparison should be up later today. John said it's around 24 mins long, so should be pretty in depth.

Always online, scarce content and barebones single player, gotta wonder when devs will realise that this shit makes many games DoA.

I don't really understand why PD took the risk they did with GTS. They have been the biggest racing series of all time in the past so they didn't need to appeal to any untapped market to be huge, and all their fanbase wanted was more of the same just modernised.

It would have been so easy to keep GTS in the oven another 12 months, make various different design decisions during development and pack in all the planned DLC and release it as GT7 and sell millions and millions and score 9+.

Tomeru

People want to get into a game as quickly as possible. If it takes 5+ minutes to get into a match, then most people will go play something else. This game is designed for a niche of a niche audience.

It's targeted at people with patience. Not many gamers have that. I'm dead serious about this too. 5 minutes between races is bad? It's 5 minutes. 5 minutes!!!

Rey

It's targeted at people with patience. Not many gamers have that. I'm dead serious about this too. 5 minutes between races is bad? It's 5 minutes. 5 minutes!!!

Well if you do not like the 2 other races out of the 3 events you could end up waiting 15 minutes actually.

Edit:
In my case... I dont like the N300 Brands race and staying the hell away from the oval race. So that leaves me with Suzuka every 15 minutes over and over again for the 4th day now. Something is not right here.

Tomeru

Well if you do not like the 2 other races out of the 3 events you could end up waiting 15 minutes actually.

Edit:
In my case... I dont like the N300 Brands race and staying the hell away from the oval race. So that leaves me with Suzuka every 15 minutes over and over again for the 4th day now. Something is not right here.

That is a different matter. I think they should offer more than 3 races per day.

Tomeru

It goes together. Because there is a limited offer in races people have to wait up to 15 minutes for there choice of race.

15 minutes is fine for me though. We can go at it all day with whats fine for one is not fir the other. Don't forget that the main objective of dailies is to get dr and sr levels. At some point it's going to be closer and closer races as we go up levels.

A game that's purely about racing is never going to get an amazing aggregated score from the mainstream games press. Just like the best 1v1 fighting game in the world is never going to get a good score without a campaign mode.

saker

Neo Member
jqozH

I bought this bundle and I like the game but... I don’t like the music!

I'm not really taking that much notice of MC right now, as they only have 28 reviews total at the moment (17 Good, 11 Mixed) and only 12 reviews with a 8-10 score, yet on OP of this thread there are 21 reviews with 8-10 scores.

Not sure why 9 of those high scoring reviews don't count but I'm sure they would have a positive effect on the MC score.

Personally I think the game is a solid 8, it's not perfect but I like it a lot so far and when the DLC starts expanding the game, it will be even better.

I'd say the metacritic is a pretty accurate gauge of how the average gamer would feel about GT:S. There has been a significant shift in focus from the GT fan who liked the grindy RPG structure to one that focuses on racing, whilst not as serious as the proper sims this is the closest the console big names have gone in that direction. I fully expect proper flagging and pace cars in the future as well.

For the person that picked up the past iterations of these games who weren't that much into the nuts and bolts of the racing and enjoyed the "you are the best" tone the shift could be too much, the single player content isn't really supportive of that either and the new tone basically tells the player they aren't that good. For the fans of GT that were into the racing more so than the campaign structure they are the perfect audience and will feel like a natural evolution of the series as they will have been fully aware of the older games limitations. Then there are the new fans like myself who were sucked in just because of how good the racing is and I was pretty much VR racing only prior to the beta demo.

I'd say the metacritic is a pretty accurate gauge of how the average gamer would feel about GT:S. There has been a significant shift in focus from the GT fan who liked the grindy RPG structure to one that focuses on racing, whilst not as serious as the proper sims this is the closest the console big names have gone in that direction. I fully expect proper flagging and pace cars in the future as well.

For the person that picked up the past iterations of these games who weren't that much into the nuts and bolts of the racing and enjoyed the "you are the best" tone the shift could be too much, the single player content isn't really supportive of that either and the new tone basically tells the player they aren't that good. For the fans of GT that were into the racing more so than the campaign structure they are the perfect audience and will feel like a natural evolution of the series as they will have been fully aware of the older games limitations. Then there are the new fans like myself who were sucked in just because of how good the racing is and I was pretty much VR racing only prior to the beta demo.

Sure, some people don't like the change and some of us are really enjoying the game, despite the changes.

My point was more about the high scores that are being left off MC for whatever reason, seems a little unfair to have good reviews that are not being counted, that's all.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Its time wasting, and has nothing to do with patience. You can pay a round or two of a fighting game within 5 mins

if you spend 5 mins per race, thats an hour of wait per 12 races.

horkrux

Giant Bomb's "Quick Look" was really funny, even though he was kind of an ass about it.

"Do not look bad" :D

Now I know why Eurogamer didn't talk about the online events on offer in Sport mode - because it's just three per week, and the cups don't start until the beginning of November. There's just... not much to talk about.

Loudninja

Ars Technica
I have no hesitation in recommending GTS to those that own a PS4. Just go in accepting that it's not going to be a 4K, VR-capable version of GT6. Instead, Polyphony delivers an online racing game with engaging gameplay and a relatively limited selection of cars and tracks. Think of GTS as a more accessible, cheaper-to-own take on iRacing, and you'll come away happy.
The Good
  • The best-handling Gran Turismo yet
  • The approach to sportsmanship and driving standards is great
  • Some of the new tracks are brilliant fun
  • Sounds very good, looks great in 4K and HDR
  • The AI doesn't suck anymore
The Bad

• I miss all the old tracks
  • I wish the developer had tossed the rallying stuff
  • If you don't like online gaming, you won't like this game
  • There's really not a lot of VR

The Ugly
  • In-car views are still not amazing.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...very-new-direction-for-the-series/?comments=1

Card Boy

Banned

Is this sarcasm or serious? i cant tell anymore. I can literally get into a COD game within 30 seconds of putting the disc in. Its irrelevant that they are diffrent genres or games. 5 minutes is a fucken eternity.

Really glad that there is this massive backlash. I loved the old Gran Turismo games, what were they thinking when they removed the SP stuff? Won't touch this with a 10 foot pole, smh.

down 2 orth

Those main menu Taghuer history lessons were pretty lame, and the lack of legit campaigns was a no buy for me. Might get this game on sale though. Glad to see I'm not the only one who felt this way.

Sure, some people don't like the change and some of us are really enjoying the game, despite the changes.

My point was more about the high scores that are being left off MC for whatever reason, seems a little unfair to have good reviews that are not being counted, that's all.
But this has always been the case for every game reviewed. GTS isn't an exception to that rule. That is how MC works.

If you don't like it use OpenCritic instead. There you have almost all reviews which are listed in the OP, except for 2 different ones (DarkStation and Alphr is missing, but on the other side the OP doesn't list the two lower scores from Forbes and EGM). The score is still only "76", so it doesn't really matter if MC includes them, or not.

GTS is just a good game, nothing more, nothing less. It's sadly not what most people wanted.

Vuci

Is this sarcasm or serious? i cant tell anymore. I can literally get into a COD game within 30 seconds of putting the disc in. Its irrelevant that they are diffrent genres or games. 5 minutes is a fucken eternity.

You have to do at least one qualifying/warmup lap if you are at all committed. 5 minutes is perfect for that.

This isn’t Call of Duty.

If you want to play immediately don’t play Sport mode.

Tomeru

The reason for the wait is qualifying. Racing without qualifying is not really racing. If you don't want to qualify, go to open lobbies. 5 minutes for qualifying is fine for short circuits (I'd say more is needed forlonger and more technical courses, especially if the competition is tough). It's not multiplayer ffa, sport mode is about competitive racing.

Bottom line: the time you wait out is used for qualifying. You may not like qualifying, but ifyou are serious about racing, you should. Heck, one of the criticism against gt after 1 is that PD took out qualifying runs.

Crayon

No really tho, if you need to play COD every 30 seconds I need you to stay off the track.

Hawk269

While I agree, it is not appearing to work for me and few other I know. There is still going to be certain folks on-line that are going to be guided missiles in turn 1 even if it means it may hurt a rating. It still going to happen. I do agree that it does make it at times where people will be more cautious, but it is always going to be up in the air.

Gemüsepizza;252701331 said:
Really glad that there is this massive backlash. I loved the old Gran Turismo games, what were they thinking when they removed the SP stuff? Won't touch this with a 10 foot pole, smh.
Have you played it? It's much better racing than previous GT games.

3 races per WEEK.

The exact same 3 races for a whole week. This is still mind blowing to me!
Maybe the developers want people to actually git gud at a specific car/track combo and not have an online of people jumping from one track they don't know to the next. Would you be bored of driving 3 real cars on 3 different tracks in a week?

Onemic

Maybe the developers want people to actually git gud at a specific car/track combo and not have an online of people jumping from one track they don't know to the next. Would you be bored of driving 3 real cars on 3 different tracks in a week?

GTS is real life?

If this is Polyphony's reasoning then they truly have lost the plot

If this is Polyphony's reasoning then they truly have lost the plot

That's before we get to the World championships, which are listed for consecutive hours after midnight in Europe, their biggest market, and during office hours in Japan. It's not like it's a single race so why not spread them out over 24 hours instead?

I can honestly for a video game I would be bored with that after one day

I can honestly for a video game I would be bored with that after one day

I'm kinda tired of online gaming feeling like it's designed for people with ADD. I get 10mins on a particular track/map before I'm bumped onto something else. In SFV I get a best of 3 match with someone and am then dumped back to the pool to match another character. I'm probably in the minority there though. Maybe I take longer to learn track layouts but I find it incredibly annoying being moved on so quickly. Saying that, waiting 15mins for less than 4mins of racing is ridiculous.

Cyclone

I'm the writer of the COG review and wanted to ask you guys about this whole always online point and how many critics are dropping the score due to a lack of career mode. My review reads more like a scathing op-ed against that opinion.

What do you guys think should be the standard when going into multiplayer-only games? For me, it makes no logical sense to not accept the game as it is and therefore dropping the score due to a lack of career is heinously unfair.

I'm the writer of the COG review and wanted to ask you guys about this whole always online point and how many critics are dropping the score due to a lack of career mode. My review reads more like a scathing op-ed against that opinion.

What do you guys think should be the standard when going into multiplayer-only games? For me, it makes no logical sense to not accept the game as it is and therefore dropping the score due to a lack of career is heinously unfair.

I think that games get compared on their own merits, but also get compared to other games in the same genres. (and sometimes not) So I think reviewers playing all these racing games have to look at what the competitors are doing as well, and I think it's perfectly fair to criticize a game for lacking content that is generally expected, even if that isn't the focus of the game.

At the end of the day, if a game changes focus from doing all things well to just a couple things very good.. then it's perfectly understandable that wont sit well with some people.. just as it's perfectly acceptable that others think it's a great move because it focuses more on what they want it to focus on.

Top Bottom