• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

freefornow

Gold Member

Onemic

Have you been in the lobbies yet? Sport mode = competitive online, lobbies = quick play. There have already been set ups in sport where you needed to use your own cars its just at the moment the three available you loan the car.

Yes, but Im saying its lacking as a competitive online mode in general. Does iracing limit you to only 3 tracks per week? Of all the competitive games I've played I havent see one that is as restricted as this.

I hope youre right about the car selection thing though, but once again I think for anyone not in the know it isnt gonna help PD's cause.

inner-G

Banned
They mention weather and lighting being lacking in the full review in regards to graphics

“The cars themselves are lovingly detailed, but the lighting and environmental effects aren’t quite up to snuff, giving the game a somewhat artificial look. Still, you can’t help but appreciate the craft on display here. GT Sport doesn’t look real, but it does look classy.”

Gaenor

Banned
They mention weather and lighting being lacking in the full review in regards to graphics

I can understand the lack of weather, static TOD and that some tracks are not as pretty as others, but the lightning is simply sublime imo.

I'm not saying it's not good lighting! Just providing context for the person who posted ‘hmmmm' in regards to that line
Of course, I know you're just the messenger !! I was talking about the reviewer's point of view in regard to the lightning.

inner-G

Banned
I can understand the lack of weather, static TOD and that some tracks are not as pretty as others, but the lightning is simply sublime imo.
I’m not saying it’s not good lighting! Just providing context for the person who posted ‘hmmmm’ in regards to that line

onanie

Yes, but Im saying its lacking as a competitive online mode in general. Does iracing limit you to only 3 tracks per week? Of all the competitive games I've played I havent see one that is as restricted as this.

I hope youre right about the car selection thing though, but once again I think for anyone not in the know it isnt gonna help PD's cause.

GTS does not limit you to 3 tracks per week, if you understand that lobby is also a competitive mode with no consequence to your SR/DR. People still drive better than in other games, a testament to the atmosphere they've promoted in their etiquette video.

Onemic

GTS does not limit you to 3 tracks per week, if you understand that lobby is also a competitive mode with no consequence to your SR/DR. People still drive better than in other games, a testament to the atmosphere they've promoted in their etiquette video.

This is effectively the same as saying "just play unranked, it's the same thing" when it's not. Sport mode is the main competitive mode and the main mode the game is based around. Lobbies are essentially the same thing as quick/casual play. Saying to just play lobbies isn't really a counter argument.

This is effectively the same as saying "just play unranked, it's the same thing" when it's not. Sport mode is the main competitive mode and the main mode the game is based around. Lobbies are essentially the same thing as quick/casual play. Saying to just play lobbies isn't really a counter argument.

They’re ranked, or can be. As in you can limit entrants to particular class of DR/SR.

You can also set the level of penalties during race so you can control discipline.

onanie

It is an effective mode since you still earn credits. As a bonus, it is still fun competitive racing.

StereoVsn

BOTW was very different to what people expect from Zelda but it was still very ambitious and had a ton of content. GT Sport just seems scaled back in every way outside of the online. And the online has not traditionally been the appeal of GT. Wasn't the online for GT5 shut down like 2 years after release? And nobody really cared. Taking a game that has always been about single player and making it online only is very bizarre.

Not only did BOTW have a ton of content it reviewed tremendously with both critics and users. BOTW debuted opposite of how GT did. I think SF V is a much better comparison.

I think its more of not wanting to overload the servers, the decal upload isn't being used yet due to them not wanting to shut everything down and having users cars will also bring these along with them. Likely they will slowly be rolling everything out.

iRacing is far more complicated and much more limited at first. I've only done practice sessions but know the gist of it. You are restricted by your license and have to build up by completing the licence requirements. Unless it has changed since I last looked when you start you are restricted to two types of racing and one type of car per race type. Races are set at specific times and you are required to do proper qualifying prior to the race to set your grid position and races are full length. As you get better more options open up to you but there are requirements to be able to go up licenses based on your time spent on the track and driver rating. How good you are or how quickly you improve will determine how long you are limited by the initial licenses. With iRacing if you just want to race you likely wont improve as you need to practice, most of the time will be spent in a practice session.

farisr

Must be a different Gran Turismo Sport.
It's weird. Jeff (giant bomb) and Peter (gamespot) also said the visuals weren't good compared to Forza, and I was like... ummmm....

I think it falls down to personal preference, they may be more wowed by forza's more stylized visual aspects. Like that Dubai track for instance is for sure a looker, and the HDR allows them to amp up that style even further, whereas GT Sports' visuals and HDR is more aimed at delivering a more realistic experience, and real life can sometimes be bland.

Edit: Also, people defending the 3 tracks per week for dailies now... Jesus.

Also offering lobbies up as an alternative to dailies, I don't even have the game and I know that's not a viable alternative for dailies (unless you have a shitload of time) from reading the OT and the reports of the lobbies taking forever to fill up, and hosts randomly dropping out. Not to mention not being able to improve your SR/ranking.

onanie

Not only did BOTW have a ton of content it reviewed tremendously with both critics and users. BOTW debuted opposite of how GT did. I think SF V is a much better comparison.

I think destiny is a pretty good comparison, let alone the identical scores currently.

It's weird. Jeff (giant bomb) and Peter (gamespot) also said the visuals weren't good compared to Forza, and I was like... ummmm....

I think it falls down to personal preference, they may be more wowed by forza's more stylized visual aspects. Like that Dubai track for instance is for sure a looker, and the HDR allows them to amp up that style even further, whereas GT Sports' visuals and HDR is more aimed at delivering a more realistic experience, and real life can sometimes be bland.

Also offering lobbies up as an alternative to dailies, I don't even have the game and I know that's not a viable alternative for dailies (unless you have a shitload of time) from reading the OT and the reports of the lobbies taking forever to fill up, and hosts randomly dropping out. Not to mention not being able to improve your SR/ranking.
It's the type of people who just up the contrast to make the colours look "better"

File in Opinions which are wrong

onanie

I have had better experiences with lobbies. Hosts dropping out is infrequent, and if you think you can do a better job, you host a game under your own conditions. You also earn credits.

I am a GB Premium subscriber and watch almost all of their content, but I can't even make myself watch the QL with Jeff. I am already triggered and haven't even seen it.

I am reminded of the 2/5 review Jeff gave to Driveclub.

The worst part of that was him talking Drew out of ever trying the game.

"GT Sport’s visuals feel a half-step behind, at least on a standard PlayStation 4 (no HDR or PS4 Pro resolution boost)."

Yeah, nah!! Standard PS4 is fine.

Standard PS4 gets HDR, in fact.

Vuci

Damn, so Forza fucked up with loot boxes, GTS fucked up by dropping SP stuff. Just a few weeks ago before all this it seemed like this fall would be a racing fan's holiday.

Watching the GB quicklook...are the matchmade races really all at set times? Who thought for a moment that would be a good idea?

It is a great idea though. What’s wrong with it?

Will be interesting to see how it fares sales wise given how people would always counter middling reviews for GT with that sales argument since 5. At least that's when I started to notice it.

I've already started seeing people expecting under 80k as the norm from a couple of weeks ago for UK's debut. I personally think that would be shockingly low for the franchises debut on PS4.

Good luck PD and Kaz.

Best wishes.

It is a great idea though. What’s wrong with it?

People want to get into a game as quickly as possible. If it takes 5+ minutes to get into a match, then most people will go play something else. This game is designed for a niche of a niche audience.

Onemic

People want to get into a game as quickly as possible. If it takes 5+ minutes to get into a match, then most people will go play something else. This game is designed for a niche of a niche audience.

This was a problem in the beginning, but now it's a lot better since there are only 5 minute intervals between events. You wont be waiting.

GHG

Honestly, with the way the game mode is designed, if somebody lacks patience to enter a race and then do some qualifying laps for 5 minutes before the race starts then they probably should go and play something else.

The whole purpose of the mode is to set up races for those who want a more serious type of competitive racing where crashing around is frowned upon. Part of not crashing is preparing and learning the track before you start racing against others.

Honestly, with the way the game mode is designed, if somebody lacks patience to enter a race and then do some qualifying laps for 5 minutes before the race starts then they probably should go and play something else.

The whole purpose of the mode is to set up races for those who want a more serious type of competitive racing where crashing around is frowned upon. Part of not crashing is preparing and learning the track before you start racing against others.

Sure, but how long until doing qualifyings on a track you've done dozens of times gets old? Eventually it might feel like an extended loading screen.

GHG

Sure, but how long until doing qualifyings on a track you've done dozens of times gets old? Eventually it might feel like an extended loading screen.

You can always improve your time. Always. The average qualifying times have kept decreasing the longer the events have been available.

But then I'm the type of person who will happily hotlap for ages just to find an extra .2 of a second. So I'm the person who this mode targets. I don't expect everyone else to get it.

Apex

I don't think the review copies include a savegame with a full access, so I doubt that any of them have seen all the tracks and TODs available. At the start it doesn't look as nice with the less spectacular combinations. Just a signal of a lazy review.

onanie

I think everyone could benefit from a quick lap before the race with SR/DR at stake. No one drives perfectly the first lap, and it would only annoy others to make mistakes because you skip practice.

MaDKaT

I think everyone could benefit from a quick lap before the race with SR/DR at stake. No one drives perfectly the first lap, and it would only annoy others to make mistakes because you skip practice.

True, but that will certainly start to annoy some folks that have played the course 50 times.

GHG

True, but that will certainly start to annoy some folks that have played the course 50 times.

They can remedy this by making the dailies actually daily (yes, I'm still salty about this) or by there being more than just 3 sport events.

MaDKaT

They can remedy this by making the dailies actually daily (yes, I'm still salty about this) or by there being more than just 3 sport events.

Im not playing the game so i just dont know, but will changing the dailies more frequently alleviate the frustration of running laps on the same courses pre race?

It doesn't matter if the host drops out, someone else gets promoted and lobbies are actually a ton of fun and a decent substitute for dailies, imo. They can take a while to fill but I usually launch with 5 or more and the usually fill up while qualifying is going on.
I'm not defending only three weekly events. The need to be daily like the beta

Crayon

Im not playing the game so i just dont know, but will changing the dailies more frequently alleviate the frustration of running laps on the same courses pre race?

If you can't get into the mindset to warm up and practice then it could be very annoying for you.

onanie

If you have to take another game with problems to deflect criticism for "your" game, then it's not really helping "your" game.

I don't think so, code. Ridesh spouted a metric. I simply provided context with "your" game. Turns out to be the same. Oops.

Neo 007

Ok...here's my analogy of the visuals (I listened to that Giant Bomb Podcast as well and thought "Jeff...WTF!!!")
Forza 7 (Watching a TV in torch mode)
GT Sport (Watching in Movie mode...calibrated)

Hawk269

For me the lack of tracks is really dragging things down. You can count me as one of those that have had bad experiences with the standard non-ranked on-line. Tried to get into 5 races and only was able to get into one of them. It was just a mess for me. Granted it could of just been a bad night, but it was not fun waiting for a race to finish and then when it does and you are about to start you get booted or something else happens preventing the game starting.

Back to the tracks, one of the thing is that I can care less about the Rally tracks, so when you discount those the track selection is even worse. Cars are not to big of an issue for me as I normally don't use that many cars, but tracks are very important. I think visually it looks really nice, but it is very sterile and seems to be a lack of life in the environments so some reviews touching on that I understand.

To me it is a really mixed bag of a game. Some things it does is outstanding, but lack of stuff also hurt it as well. Not sure I will keep it or not. I need to know what the tracks/environments plans are and what the cost factor is for them. If they are free and or price low then that would be great, but I have a feeling that we are going get hit with pricey DLC of tracks and that wont be good...especially since the game itself is $59.99.

c0de

I don't think so, code. Ridesh spouted a metric. I simply provided context with "your" game. Turns out to be the same. Oops.

I don't even have a game but this is whataboutism. You can like a game while others mostly don't.
With some comments here I feel like it's "the order" again.

Crayon

For me the lack of tracks is really dragging things down. You can count me as one of those that have had bad experiences with the standard non-ranked on-line. Tried to get into 5 races and only was able to get into one of them. It was just a mess for me. Granted it could of just been a bad night, but it was not fun waiting for a race to finish and then when it does and you are about to start you get booted or something else happens preventing the game starting.

Back to the tracks, one of the thing is that I can care less about the Rally tracks, so when you discount those the track selection is even worse. Cars are not to big of an issue for me as I normally don't use that many cars, but tracks are very important. I think visually it looks really nice, but it is very sterile and seems to be a lack of life in the environments so some reviews touching on that I understand.

To me it is a really mixed bag of a game. Some things it does is outstanding, but lack of stuff also hurt it as well. Not sure I will keep it or not. I need to know what the tracks/environments plans are and what the cost factor is for them. If they are free and or price low then that would be great, but I have a feeling that we are going get hit with pricey DLC of tracks and that wont be good...especially since the game itself is $59.99.

All this. Having too few sucks. Not knowing shit about the future ones and especially not knowing if they will be free is shhiiiittty. This is my personal biggest problem with this game.

onanie

I don't even have a game but this is whataboutism. You can like a game while others mostly don't.
With some comments here I feel like it's "the order" again.

No, code. I was simply providing context to the metric specified. I'm sure it would always feel like "the order" for you.

GHG

Yes because there's no way you'd be able to perfect a car/track combo in just one day.

Unless you are literally playing 24/7 that is.

c0de

No, code. I was simply providing context to the metric specified. I'm sure it would always feel like "the order" for you.

When people defend the game while there are obvious shortcomings it can't feel different but you are already getting personal for whatever reason so keep on doing your thing here.

Crayon

When people defend the game while there are obvious shortcomings it can't feel different but you are already getting personal for whatever reason so keep on doing your thing here.

I can defend the game while it has obvious shortcomings. What's the problem with that?

Top Bottom