• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

SkylineRKR

Problem is, since GT5 lots of fans have been vocal about PD being out of touch. But then hardcore fans would deny it and usually post lifetime sales numbers.

And now we're here. This shit isn't worth full price. Same shit with SFV when it launched, I was there and it was one of my biggest regrets this gen. So I hold off for now.

Underneath is a good game, I think it'll need another year of content for it to be a good package. Will probably jump in with the XL version.

I want to tap into parallel universe where Gran Turismo 6 PS4 Edition was out in Q4/2014 and look at what that would have sold compared to GTS now.

You know, as tempting as that would be, I imagine those PS2 asset cars would just look like such bullshit on PS4, particularly in 4K, that there would be whole different type of backlash.

farisr

Maybe all the buyers are still waiting for Amazon to ship out pre-orders like mine.
For the amazon reviews definitely, still truly weird anomaly in my case. I've never had to consider returning a game that II've listed at this price. Hopefully now that it's the weekend, maybe activity will pick up and I find a buyer.

For the amazon reviews definitely, still truly weird anomaly in my case. I've never had to consider returning a game that I got and this price and listed at that price. Hopefully now that it's the weekend, maybe activity will pick up and I find a buyer.

I thought you were shelving it for your collection until PD "fixes" the online stuff?

farisr

I thought you were shelving it for your collection until PD "fixes" the online stuff?
No I had it on order for $55 CAD after taxes (Game costs $90 CAD after taxes regular retail price) and planned on selling it for $70 via local listings so I could make a profit (I do this for a lot of games) and then buy the game later when the MSRP drops. Nobody's biting at the $70 listing except for one idiotic lowballer who I didn't bother to reply to. Usually it only takes a few hours after the listing. Hopefully that changes now that it's the weekend.

I'd be a fool to just cancel a preorder that I have at that price.

I did the same with For Honor, which I had decided to not keep once the always online was confirmed. I had 2 copies of that game on order for $35 CAD each so made an even bigger profit on selling that for $70.

You know, as tempting as that would be, I imagine those PS2 asset cars would just look like such bullshit on PS4, particularly in 4K, that there would be whole different type of backlash.

I was in the camp that wanted PD to get rid of the old models and also said that the PS3 premium cars would not hold up when FM5 and Driveclub footage had shown up. I wanted far less cars and tracks but the most detailed car models and said I would be ok with 200 really well made cars.

But I wanted to be able to press all the cockpit buttons and set a lancer in different drive modes too. I wanted FFB of the current gen simulation kind, a completely new from scratch tire model and FOV options. And a much more diverse car list.

Directly after GT5 they should have started to outsource laserscanning and 3D car modeling to have 200+ cars a year after PS4 realease. They should have hired the RaceRoom sound guy and given him free reign, they should have talked to F1 simulator developers and how they make accurate real-to-life FFB and modeled the suspensions and upped the physics calculation rate. It would have been hard to get it to control as great with a DS4 as GTS is now, but it would have been the right way going forward. If they go forward with what they have now, the handling concept is not future proof and they need to re-model and test the handling of the 500 cars by the time a PS5 GT game is due.

cakely

User reviews gonna user reviews, guys. They're utterly useless unless you're looking for somesort of fanboy sorting system.

I want to tap into parallel universe where Gran Turismo 6 PS4 Edition was out in Q4/2014 and look at what that would have sold compared to GTS now.

Even if they'd only used the premium cars in a GT6 PS4 rerelease, they'd still have had more cars (200) than GT Sport has now (167).

Audioboxer

User reviews gonna user reviews, guys. They're utterly useless unless you're looking for somesort of fanboy sorting system.

Somewhat true. I posted the GT5/GT6 Amazon UK reviews on the previous page though, and they are not 2/5.

Some GT fans might end up having to swallow a pill of truth here that portions of the more casual GT buyers who've helped PD reach multi-millions of sales did want a traditional GT.

This is the gamble PD took with Sport. Risking alienating a big chunk of their base.

MaDKaT

Wasn't the premium car count around 200 in GT5, and around 400 in GT6?

I thought it was. I never played GT6.

Something like that. Certainly enough content that could be repackaged and tweaked as an hd edition ps3 game for the ps4 around launch. Just continue the online and seasonal events.

Wasn't the premium car count around 200 in GT5, and around 400 in GT6?

I thought it was. I never played GT6.

Here is a cool page for you guys:
http://www.kudosprime.com

they list 474 premium cars in GT6.

Damn, did they add that many premium cars after launch in GT6? When I googled it, it looked like only 200 premiums were available at launch. I own GT6, but honestly didn't play it all that much (coming at the end of the PS3 life cycle was not the best move).

Loudninja

I do not understand GTS as a release. And I don't understand it's defenders.

Interesting to see if it drifts into the mixed or average range on Metacritic within the next few days (currently at 75, which is the "good" threshold). Seems to be moving down with more reviews rather than up as predicted by some.

Umm what?

Interesting to see if it drifts into the mixed or average range on Metacritic within the next few days (currently at 75, which is the "good" threshold). Seems to be moving down with more reviews rather than up as predicted by some.

People are finding it enjoyable? I mean there are people out there who are saying it's very enjoyable to drive in this game and I feel the same way.

CrayToes

Defenders? Lol. It’s a fucking great racing game.

It's a great racing game, simple as that really, great graphics, great driving, 60fps, it's just very different to past games. I gave it a chance and I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Umm what?

People are finding it enjoyable? I mean there are people out there who are saying it's very enjoyable to drive in this game and I feel the same way.

I'm not arguing with GTs driving model, which is always exceptional, or its lighting, or any of the stuff it does well. What I don't understand is why Polyphony would release a game with a small fraction of the cars, tracks, and content of any prior release, particularly when they had over 400 premiums (which were supposed to be future proof, if you'll recall) up and running for GT6.

i'm glad you guys enjoy it. But I think it's totally inexcuseable to release a game with this amount of content at full price in 2017. And I don't get how people could defend doing so. Clearer?

Early impressions seem to be GTS should have been marked as a prologue with $40 I’m loving it, but man traditional campaign players seem pretty annoyed and being pretty vocal about it.

Really interested in wha the sales will be.

ghibli99

But not a particularly good GT game.
This very much reminds me of the BOTW OT. "What's there is really damn good, but it's not Zelda." It's almost like the brand/franchise is what some folks can't look beyond. I think GTS has brilliant aspects, but there's no doubt lots of room for improvement. I think it'll get there.

I'm not arguing with GTs driving model, which is always exceptional, or its lighting, or any of the stuff it does well. What I don't understand is why Polyphony would release a game with a small fraction of the cars, tracks, and content of any prior release, particularly when they had over 400 premiums (which were supposed to be future proof, if you'll recall) up and running for GT6.

i'm glad you guys enjoy it. But I think it's totally inexcuseable to release a game with this amount of content at full price in 2017. And I don't get how people could defend doing so. Clearer?

I view this as a MP game. If I get 60 hours out of it, that's worth it to me. If I don't, then it wasn't and would have fallen (well) short of expectation.

Audioboxer

Early impressions seem to be GTS should have been marked as a prologue with $40 I'm loving it, but man traditional campaign players seem pretty annoyed and being pretty vocal about it.

It's not quite a prologue.

Without a doubt, PD will take Sport and transfer what they have here into GT7. The goal will be to have their overhauled online component/network and still have the traditional GT experience. The real question we should be asking them is why within 4 years could they not do all of that for a GT7?

Either the studio needs to expand or start outsourcing if they are struggling with workload.

cakely

Can we not use the term "defenders" for GTS?

GTS is not a crime or bad national policy it's a video game that some of us here actually enjoy.

MaDKaT

Early impressions seem to be GTS should have been marked as a prologue with $40 I’m loving it, but man traditional campaign players seem pretty annoyed and being pretty vocal about it.

Not even that. Just needed to be clearer on the messaging for what it is. The Sport subtitle was a mistake and didn't provide enough distinction.

Loudninja

Gameinformer 7.75
Regardless of its foibles, let this installment be the start of a real commitment by Polyphony Digital to online racing – one that is folded into the main series' career mode and which is not just a temporary dabble like the track creator of GT 5 or the dynamic time/weather and race clubs of GT 6. GT Sport has enough qualities that it should be the start of something better and not just a detour for the franchise.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g...2017/10/20/game-informer-review-gt-sport.aspx

Twinfinite 4/5

• It celebrates the beauty of each and every car it features.
  • Predictably, driving feels wonderful.
  • A single-player designed around making you a better driver.
  • Esports angle makes online mode fun and competitive.
Cons
  • Lacking cars and tracks when compared to other recent racing titles.
  • May feel pedestrian to those hoping for a more traditional single-player experience.
  • Always online requirement can be frustrating.
http://twinfinite.net/2017/10/gt-sport-review/

JohnIIVII

But not a particularly good GT game.

Yeah. I was looking forward to picking this up because it looks beautiful, but the focus on online racing over a proper campaign is a huge turn off for me. I tend to steer clear of online racing in sims. Sucks. GT2 and GT3 are my favorite racing games. I wish they would make a GT like those again. I am happy for those who seem to be enjoying it so far though.

Really at this point only time will tell. Look at two of the most popular FPS games out there now, Overwatch and RB6: Siege. Those games do not have a lot of content in it compared to other FPS games, but what made people come back to it is the MP aspect and that it's just a lot of fun (personally not OW for me but that's a different topic). I think GTS is aiming towards that category with regards to racing, especially with their high emphasis on eSports.

RoyalFool

Banned
Man the VR mode in this is such a bait and switch. It looks and plays great, would prefer to play the whole game this way.. but instead you get some stupid easy 1v1 races that didn't even earn you rewards / miles for the main game.

What the fuck Sony

TheMan

Personally, I feel PD were pretty clear about what this game is and what it isn't, so for the most part I feel like their biggest mistake was not giving the game a title that clearly differentiated itself from past releases.

The main exception being the VR, with its shockingly anemic number of modes. "Disgusting," as people around here like to throw around.

Without a doubt, PD will take Sport and transfer what they have here into GT7. The goal will be to have their overhauled online component/network and still have the traditional GT experience. The real question we should be asking them is why within 4 years could they not do all of that for a GT7?

Either the studio needs to expand or start outsourcing if they are struggling with workload.

This has always been a problem for PD, but GT Sport seems like the best (or worst?) example thus far. They've had 4 years to work on this game. It's much easier to program for the PS4 than the PS3. There are really no excuses why this couldn't have been GT7, had a full solo campaign, more cars, and more tracks. It's hard to figure out what's going on over there.

We saw massive improvements in quality across the board. I'll take the hit on content if it means we get the level of polish we're seeing in GTS. Do I want more content? Absolutely. But the improvements in sound, physics, UX, and overall playability are far more important to me. With GT5/6 we constantly saw people complain about sound, UI/UX, physics, load times, samey handling, and much more... there was just too much. It was quantity over quality. GTS is the inverse of that.

Not even that. Just needed to be clearer on the messaging for what it is. The Sport subtitle was a mistake and didn't provide enough distinction.
I think a reduced price point along with Gran Turismo Sport would have done that.

First question is “why is this so cheap?”

The price tag and Sport combined could have done a lot of the talking for them.

Time will tell though, people who like it really like it, I’m am enjoying it. Could have good legs with updates and word of mouth.

Rome wasn't built in a day. This is a new GT, built from the ground up, no old assets used. This is the foundation and like pretty much all online games these days, there will be updates coming to expand the game.

The past few games jammed in so much but they were janky as hell too, nowhere near 60fps or the level of polish GT Sport has. So I'm glad PD took a different approach and nailed the basics first. Is it ideal ? not entirely but at least they are willing to take the risk to deliver a better game first and add more cars and tracks after.

I'm sat here playing now, being rewarded for everything I do with cash, cars, miles (which can be traded for cars and items too) tracks for arcade mode and leveling up, it still feels like GT, just a little different and has a bigger focus on online, which is pretty great to play.

The campaign is challenging and teaches you how to get better at racing and it works too, it's so satisfying learning from your mistakes and finally nailing that gold medal, it's great.

EdgeXL

I don't understand how GTS could release with such little content after 4 years of development when Turn 10 turns out a Forza game every two years.

EdgeXL

Is there going to be a GT7? The wording from the studio makes it sound like the next game will be Gran Turismo Sport 2. Even the CEO of PD said he considers this game to be GT7.

Duxxy3

I don't understand how GTS could release with such little content after 4 years of development when Turn 10 turns out a Forza game every two years.

Straight up poor management. They are an incredibly talented team, but management is terrible. Sort of reminds me of Irritational Games.

Crash331

All the reviews aside, for the people that enjoy the game, is it worth playing if you use the DS4?

I have a wheel, but it's connected to my PC and I'd like to use Sport to just jump in to some nightly casual races.

Audioboxer

This has always been a problem for PD, but GT Sport seems like the best (or worst?) example thus far. They've had 4 years to work on this game. It's much easier to program for the PS4 than the PS3. There are really no excuses why this couldn't have been GT7, had a full solo campaign, more cars, and more tracks. It's hard to figure out what's going on over there.

I think Kaz just has a bit of Ken Kutaragi in him. He's a mad genius and doesn't give a fuck. Only, in later years he seems to be going a bit too crazy rather than reigning it in a bit.

Is there going to be a GT7? The wording from the studio makes it sound like the next game will be Gran Turismo Sport 2. Even the CEO of PD said he considers this game to be GT7.

Depending on how reviews finally sit for this, as well as sales, I'll bet PD will rush back to calling something GT7 if it's not that great a conclusion.

All the reviews aside, for the people that enjoy the game, is it worth playing if you use the DS4?

I have a wheel, but it's connected to my PC and I'd like to use Sport to just jump in to some nightly casual races.

Motion controls are outrageously good. Don’t skip them!

Top Bottom