• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall requires an internet connection (PS+ not required for solo play - see OP)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Remnant From the Ashes like Godfall is a PvE based game but unlike Godfall doesn't require an internet connection or PS+/Gold if you're playing solo. Online co-op is a different story which makes sense. Playing solo, I shouldn't need to pay for PS+/Gold or require an internet connection.

RafterXL

Who cares? That's the least of this games problems. The repetative corridor fighting and braindead AI that just stands around are much bigger issues.

This game makes Killzone Shadowfall seem like a must have launch title.

70% Meta/Opencritic incoming.

TheContact

Don’t forget d3 did the same thing, and while the launch royally pissed everyone off because the servers couldn’t handle it and no one could play, no one really complains about it now. For consoles though it’s probably a different story since PCs are generally expected to be always online while consoles aren’t. Some games are just designed to be this way unfortunately.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can see it requiring you to be online at all times, ala Destiny, but needing PS Plus even when playing solo? I'd be genuinely surprised if that was the case.

Compsiox

Banned
This game is going to be bad. I feel like I've seen nothing about the game. No one is really talking about it either.

Compsiox

Banned
Who cares? That's the least of this games problems. The repetative corridor fighting and braindead AI that just stands around are much bigger issues.

65% or less.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Optional? Co-operative online multiplayer is the main hook of this game. Sure, there probably be some bullshit 8 hour campaign for single player casual scrubs but that’s not the game

They’re not punishing anyone. They’re making sure their game won’t be broken by using technology accordingly.

So, on the small chance of hackers/cheaters on a console version (which is already smaller for that aspect alone), they should force everyone to be online with a paid sub, even if they have no intention of playing PvP or Co-op? For a 70 dollar game? That is literally the definition of punishing players (by giving them less choice) on the small off chance you may run into a cheater/hacker.

And yes, that *is* an optional way to play the game, despite what your hilariously juvenile elitism would suggest.

Two reasons.

1. Offline guys will hack and cheat, and then jump online n MP mode and dominate

2. Never trust a dev saying "no microtransactions". They want everyone online so when the microtrans do come out, even just a few % of people buying stuff adds to the corporate coffers.

I've read it too. "No microtrans". I'll see it when I believe it.

Why did you bring up Microtransactions? I didn't mention anything about that.

supernova8

Banned
I guess it depends on whether people think of it as a co-op game or not. I've been following it loosely but it always looked a singleplayer game to me. For them to now say it's multiplayer whether you like it or not and you have to pay............. yeah I'm just not going to buy it. Their choice whether they want to keep the game like that or not.

sn0man

Glad this is out there. Trailers are starting to make the game look interesting in a wait for a deep sale (because you know it is coming) sort of way but not anymore. I will not support this based on principle.

I guess that makes me a drama queen.
Me too. I must be a drama queen as well.

sn0man

Okay, i could understand that you have to be connected to the internet, but why do you have to have ps plus for a single player game stupid lol

edit: just found out the game has co-op, still stupid to lock the single player aspect behind a paywall.
The whole single in single player means it could work on its own though. The only reason it would need a network connection is because people put up with single player games being locked behind an online connection of some sort.

Orky

Banned
Why is Sony being blamed for this again and why do xbox fans keep saying it’s 2013 in reverse when interest in the PS5 still far outstrips interest in the Series X? It doesn’t matter how much you want it to be 2013 in reverse. It’s not going to happen just be happy with your console of choice.

It’s not about interests or sales. It’s about policies

why do I need to be online constantly and have PS+ for the single player game? I can understand this for PC, for DRM purposes etc. but why for the ps5 version? Can you explain?

It’s not about interests or sales. It’s about policies

why do I need to be online constantly and have PS+ for the single player game? I can understand this for PC, for DRM purposes etc. but why for the ps5 version? Can you explain?

No I can’t. Ask Gearbox because I can’t make sense of it

sn0man

Yeah it feels like it's their way of controlling the loot. People can't go and hack their single player save files this way.
I think that’s really clever but I wish they’d allow for offline profiles for folks that just want to be left alone to play offline. Now the game is basically a coaster if the server ever goes down.

Is there a more recent faq than this one :
looking into it the faq avoid response to the question
same for gaas

i don't see why a coop/up to 3 players game need to be always online....
if it's the case all interest is lost for me
Thank for this thread making me investigating it....i was really thinking it was a full game with dlc (a la borderland) something i'm fine with
This game has always looked like a borderlands style game. Anyone trying to justify this by saying destiny requires online connections are just trying to damage control.

sn0man

same here but for now it never lasted long before i quit them because of what it does to game design/mechanics
It depends on the game. I’ll still play heroes of the storm or hearthstone. I know there are grindy f2p mechanics but the game is still entertaining and I don’t pay to play.

sn0man

diablo 4 will be a strong test of will ....
if only console version or even pc one could have offline like diablo 3....
but mmo route seems to indicate otherwise
Stay strong. I too will have trouble resisting. Other games will come and try to fill that niche.

What's the networked feature in solo mode? Live game world? Or just syncing loot or something?

I don't always have PSN so that's a bit disappointing.
Its loot based game. They don't want gamers to use hacks and get unlimited loot on pc or ps5 in offline mode like ppl do in borderlands games nd all.

Loot in GodAwful is linked and saved to servers.

Sony team has entered the chat.

Paying in 2020+ to play online is the dumbest shit ever. Well to be fair, it always has been but suckers will be suckers.
Isn’t it funny how xboys such as yourself are so concerned that this always online game requires plus to play - yet free to play games like fortnite require gold on Xbox to play.

Nearly most concerned posts in this thread are just warriors clearly.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

But it was must have title back then, tho.

yurinka

The only case I can image where it would make sense to require online only to play single player it's if playing single player you earn in-game currency/loot boxes/loot that later can be used in an online multiplayer ranked mode.

So they would do online anti-cheat verifications because of two reasons: first to avoid people getting with cheats items they can buy with microtransactions using real money, and second to keep the multiplayer matches and online leaderboards free of cheaters.

Zoro7

Banned
Lol who seriously doesn’t leave their console connected to the internet like all the time? The only way this is an issue is if your modem is a potato and keeps disconnecting.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Lol who seriously doesn’t leave their console connected to the internet like all the time? The only way this is an issue is if your modem is a potato and keeps disconnecting.
You must see the irony with the Xbox One 2013 reveal which needed to be connected to the internet once every 24h and the backlash that got?

GymWolf

Poeple are so blinded and preocupied to go to war for their "side" that they don't see thepoint here for poeple who could be interested in this game
it doesn't look like a full online gaas when you look at the trailers....
It's not a gaas at all.

It's a looter slasher with coop.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
can someone explain why in this day and age this is a big fucking deal? i mean when you switch your console on its pretty much connected to the internet, well mine is anyways and most of us carry an always connected phone in our pockets so why are the usual gamer cunts getting their knickers in a twist over this? fuck me if its playing a trannie in a video game or swapping out textures from a reveal trailer... some cunts need a fucking slap

GymWolf

Personally waiting until it goes F2P - which one day it will.
I'm not sure, i love slasher and loot but the gameplay really looks dull as fuck and unimpactful.
Maybe i'm gonna wait for a heavy discount, i want to see more footage.

cormack12

Gold Member
can someone explain why in this day and age this is a big fucking deal? i mean when you switch your console on its pretty much connected to the internet, well mine is anyways and most of us carry an always connected phone in our pockets so why are the usual gamer cunts getting their knickers in a twist over this? fuck me if its playing a trannie in a video game or swapping out textures from a reveal trailer... some cunts need a fucking slap

People like to points score, in all the threads. Getting boring tbh. We'll have exactly the same conversation when an always online needs xbox live or game pass or whatever they call it. PS+ is a bit of an overhead which should be the real conversation, but then every other game requires PS+ barring some outliers. This game i

But at the end of the day the publishers have targeted their game at PS+ subscribers who don't mind being always online.

Inviusx

You can't demand the next generation of gaming and call foul when a connection is required. If you aren't always online in 2020 then PS4 exists for you.

Im sure the developers have designed this game to use internet to enhance the experience. Please cancel your preorder.

alstrike

qkafJx5.png

That's really badly worded, it should say:

- Online Connection required
- PS Plus Required for Online Multiplayer

Zoro7

Banned
You must see the irony with the Xbox One 2013 reveal which needed to be connected to the internet once every 24h and the backlash that got?
It’s not the same thing though. One stopped you playing preowned titles. Plus this is not enforced by Sony. So it’s not even remotely the same.

martino

It's not a gaas at all.

It's a looter slasher with coop.

it's what i thought without looking into it but the situation is not that clear (https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037454332-Godfall-General-FAQ)
Is this a live-service/ Games as a service game?

We haven’t planned out post-launch plans at this moment, as we’re still in development. We’ll have more to say later in 2020.
i asked earlier if someone has link to more clear (and fresh) info but nobody posted about it.

Top Bottom