• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall requires an internet connection (PS+ not required for solo play - see OP)

It's a $70 game. You should be able to play something without needing to dish out an extra $60 annually for PS+.

At the very least they should put "PS+ Required" on the front of the case.

again who cares? do something else. Making a big deal out of nothing. They also do this to stop cheating and have everything on the server side...

Do something else? You pay your hard earned money for a game, so you should be able to play it when you desire without unnecessary restrictions like online or subscription services. Needing online for multiplayer is understandable, but having to pay for a subscription service which does eventually expire requiring more additional payment just to play single player doesn’t make sense at all.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do something else? You pay your hard earned money for a game, so you should be able to play it when you desire without unnecessary restrictions like online or subscription services. Needing online for multiplayer is understandable, but having to pay for a subscription service which does eventually expire requiring more additional payment just to play single player doesn’t make sense at all.
No point in talking to a brick wall. Nothing you say or do will change his mind. Just wants to troll and promote anti consumer practices.

Iced Arcade

Yall keep pushing this narrative, and yet it's still not true.
Sony isn't your 2nd cousin or step brother that needs your defending. Simmer.

Both these companies stumble plenty and is ok to point when one does so just like Xbox at the start of this gen.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Sony isn't your 2nd cousin or step brother that needs your defending. Simmer.

Both these companies stumble plenty and is ok to point when one does so just like Xbox at the start of this gen.

Okay and oh course that's true. But some of yall acting as if Sony is in the same state now that MS was in for the Xbox One launch are just dead wrong. Not sure why some of yall need it to be true.

Visualift

Never understand the concern with something like this. Are the people finding issue living in super rural areas?

sn0man

Because If I want to take my single-player character I've invested in and bring it to multiplayer I can't
Okay. That is a really good point. It would suck to invest and not get that progress. I think I’d be fine if the game just made a disclaimer up front:

“This game provides for multiplayer online. To use stats and progress from your single player you will need to save your progress online. Do you want to save progress online?

Yes, I want to play with friends using this character.

No, I’m okay missing out on multiplayer and just want to save locally.”

sn0man

It’s one of the many reasons. Corrupt saves and cheaters breaking the pve portion affects the quality of the game.

If the Godfall devs want to do the right thing for their game it’s to have server side saves. No doubt about it
Have them. I for one welcome an online instance of the game for us to play in. That said. No reason they can’t also allow a separate offline save system that can’t go online for us backwards weirdos that just want to purchase a game and have it work.

Skifi28

You can’t deny it. Your mom was already fucked! You’re a part of this now!!!!!!1

my mom was already fucked too!!1

A wasn't questioning a mother's virginity, only its relevance to the topic. Perhaps this is not the best place for this kind of discussion.

sn0man

A wasn't questioning a mother's virginity, only its relevance to the topic. Perhaps this is not the best place for this kind of discussion.
I just thought it was the most ridiculous response and I too think it’s unrelated. I just couldn’t stop laughing at how dumb and unrelated it was. I figured I’d embrace that narrative. I’ll drop it though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
6z1m74niil941.png

Last edited:
Here comes the concern from countless people with 24/7 reliable internet connections :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Your internet connection is irrelevant. It's the publishers/developers servers that matters. They have complete control over your $70 purchase.

I bet when publishers start charging $5 a month on top and we'll have next round of sychophants with new excuses "Here comes the concern from countless people who act like they can't afford $1.25 a week"

Last edited:

Dogman

Your internet connection is irrelevant. It's the publishers/developers servers that matters. They have complete control over your $70 purchase.

I bet when publishers start charging $5 a month on top and we'll have next round of sychophants with new excuses "Here comes the concern from countless people who act like they can't afford $1.25 a week"
You make no sense. A game requiring online doesnt ask any more from you if u have a good connection than a regular offline game. A game with a subscription asks you for more money than usual, so no, we wouldnt accept it.

EDMIX

im sure they do have a say. and im talking more about needing ps plus for a single player game....

They have a say sure, but I don't really believe they are going to go around and tell developers what needs online and what doesn't. A single player game can still use online, as in you can play Demon Souls or Dark Souls completely single player, but clearly there is some interaction with with others either directly or indirectly. So I don't know what they are doing with the internet connection tbh as thats up for them to explain, but I don't believe Sony or even MS for that matter are going to be going around telling other companies how to make their games to this degree.

Walter Matthau Walter Matthau tbh, Plus being needed to play the game at ALL was an assumption many made, the actual link simple states "PS Plus Required for Online Play"

Last edited:
Walter Matthau Walter Matthau tbh, Plus being needed to play the game at ALL was an assumption many made, the actual link simple states "PS Plus Required for Online Play"

I can see why they made the mistake though. Having "Online Play Required" followed by "PS Plus Required for Online Play" right underneath is very confusing.

EDMIX

I can see why they made the mistake though. Having "Online Play Required" followed by "PS Plus Required for Online Play" right underneath is very confusing.

Not if you already know this is a online title like Destiny or Dark Souls where its online, co-op and you have an option to play alone.... So I knew this would likely be the situation as many games actually fit this scenario. So I think its only confusing when no one makes any effort to simply look at other titles that share the same concepts to understand what they might mean.

When I first heard this story, the first thing I did was actually see just how many games are online, where you CAN play alone as an option, has co-op etc. Quite a few exist that actually support that this isn't really out of the ordinary. I think folks are making a bigger deal out of this then needed as this isn't the first online game of all time where you can play solo if you want to or something.

Last edited:
Not if you already know this is a online title like Destiny or Dark Souls where its online, co-op and you have an option to play alone.... So I knew this would likely be the situation as many games actually fit this scenario. So I think its only confusing when no one makes any effort to simply look at other titles that share the same concepts to understand what they might mean.

When I first heard this story, the first thing I did was actually see just how many games are online, where you CAN play alone as an option, has co-op etc. Quite a few exist that actually support that this isn't really out of the ordinary. I think folks are making a bigger deal out of this then needed as this isn't the first online game of all time where you can play solo if you want to or something.

Not familiar with how those are labelled.

I have no issues with online required games. You have to assume if this game is even half way decent they'll keep the servers up for a decade or longer. Boycotting something because you might not be able to play it in 2030 is a little silly.

This video accurately describes the situation. People just accept the game should be online only because that's how they've been conditioned. People are still calling this a Destiny style game to try to justify them being okay with the game being online only when the devs have come out and said this isn't a service game. This is Borderlands style game, single player with optional co-op.

Where’s everybody? 🤔
Wow, you don't have to pay an additional monthly fee on top of your ps5, internet bill and the 70 game to play a video game. What a win! Stop the presses everyone. We don't need to pay a second internet fee to play our 70 dollar always online game! Winning! My only concern at this point is your complete lack of self awareness.

Last edited:

Banned
Well, yeah. It’s an MMO lite like Destiny. I didn’t even know it had a single player component lol.

it's not, it's more like Diablo or Borderlands. a coop game with tons of loot.
the devs even repeatedly said that the game is is not a games as a service model and it has no microtransactions or anything of the likes that would make it something even close to Destiny.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Wow, you don't have to pay an additional monthly fee on top of your ps5, internet bill and the 70 game to play a video game. What a win! Stop the presses everyone. We don't need to pay a second internet fee to play our 70 dollar always online game! Winning! My only concern at this point is your complete lack of self awareness.
... What the devil is this? Is it meant be a cutting riposte?
I'm confused.

Any demand for paid online for a single player experience is bullshit. If you want to roll with people online I can see the argument for paying to do that as the monstrosity known as PSN exists to take more monies but is a known variable for two generations now.

it's not, it's more like Diablo or Borderlands. a coop game with tons of loot.
the devs even repeatedly said that the game is is not a games as a service model and it has no microtransactions or anything of the likes that would make it something even close to Destiny.
That sucks. Welcome to the future of cooperative gaming I guess.... I'm sure this will be standard for anything that isn't completely single player after a couple of years.

Fuz

Banned
I have no issues with online required games. You have to assume if this game is even half way decent they'll keep the servers up for a decade or longer. Boycotting something because you might not be able to play it in 2030 is a little silly.
No, it's not.

Vae_Victis

Banned
There is probably a unified profile for all modes, and that profile is managed remotely. So even when you are playing "single player", your level, gear etc. is in common with all multiplayer modes, so it's being stored on the server.

Not saying it's a good solution, but that is most likely the technical reason why.

Can we get the mod to change the title, it's misinformation. Devs have confirmed you don't need PS Plus to play the Single player aspect!

Top Bottom