• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s Black Friday promotions begin November 17

Vlodril

So i want to go from premium to extra. I see no discount is the discount only for moving up a tier? If so that is pretty shitty.

GymWolf

That's because of all the bad things you've said about Jim Ryan over the years.

Temper Tantrum GIF
Yeah but what about me? I always liked that drunk dutch looking moron that clearly doesn't believe in generations and i still don't have a discount :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Aenima

So no discounts for resubbing and getting another year of premium?
I still got the discount for resubbing another year of Extra.
The trick might be having your subscription canceled to be able to get the discount. I had canceled my Extra sub once they anounced the price hike, my sub was still active untill day 25 of this month, and was able to resub for PS+ Extra for 95€ (25% discount or less 30€ than full price).
Once i resubed the discount to purchase another year disappeared, so the trick might be canceling your existing sub to get the discount.

Generic

At least in Brazil with the ps app there is.

On the app: Go in the store, then on the ps plus icon, roll to the end and there's an option to get 12 months with 30% of discount.

I currently own the ps plus premium and I was able to get another 12 months.
I tried the app, the website and the console (PS4). There's nothing :(

Got a feeling they wont do the psplus discount this year so got mine at the old price right before the price increase. Seems the smart play now is to stay basic and wait for black friday /days of play sale to upgrade tiers.

Anyway not much of the newer games on sale. I guess the essential sale is still going so they may add stuff next week. But Im hoping Armored Core 6, Layers of Fear 2023 and Ghostrunner 2 gets some kind of sale during christmas/new year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That is wild. This is the first year they have done this. I guess i will let mine expire for the first time since they introduced the service and pick a month here or a month there if there is something that i want. I don't play online games anyway most of the time.
Could be mistaken, but I think they actually fully limited the sub discount to only new subs last year. I remember being extremely annoyed by it. I cancelled in January a few months later and never resubbed.

Sleepwalker

Was normal price for me on website but renewing through the PS5 it dropped to $110 for the year but totally on the fence about renewing at that price as premium is junk imo

Sadly to move down there is no discount showing for me, the mid tier plan is more expensive than premium
I am on premium until July 2024 and they are not offering me a discount to renew or move down.

They want $189.99 CDN + tax for another year.

season 2 what GIF by BBC Three

Sleepwalker

Honestly Sony has been really stingy lately whenever they have sales, its the same games for the same prices no matter the occassion. I used to pick up a healthy split of digital vs discs, but discs have been consistently cheaper for a while now.

Specially once PSN started to charge tax a few years ago in Canada.

Last edited:

Kerotan

these sales are the reason why physicals are so important once we get rid of those we have no choice to accept these prices
70% of people have already accepted them. I buy a combination of both but it's usually legacy titles I get on disc. Older ps4/3 games.

Generic

This sucks. Did you try adding to the cart to see if there's a discount during the checkout?
Yes, sadly there's nothing. People on Reddit contacted Sony's support and they said the discount is only for new subs and upgrades but you should "keep an eye on the news"

I guess subs who got the discount were blessed with a bug.

Ar¢tos

So i want to go from premium to extra. I see no discount is the discount only for moving up a tier? If so that is pretty shitty.
You can't...
I want to move from extra to essential. The only way is to wait for the extra to run out and then get essential the day after.
You can't even use old psn plus cards, because it will convert automatically to less time of your current plan.

Skifi28

I get an "extend your current sub for -30%" message but when I click I get an error "something went wrong". Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Aenima

I am on premium until July 2024 and they are not offering me a discount to renew or move down.

They want $189.99 CDN + tax for another year.

season 2 what GIF by BBC Three
Using the PS5
Try cancel your current plan. You can move down to a lower tier in the subcription options in the PS+ page. (not sure you can get a discount when moving down a tier)

To get a discount in the same tier you are on, do the same, cancel your subscription, and it should allow you to purchase another year with a discount.

My PS+ Extra was canceled but still active, and the discount was showing to me to get another year of Extra.

NickFire

I cancelled my sub when price went up but it’s still got a couple months. I’m not even seeing option to add to cart. Just asks me if I want to renew for full price. I can get a discount if I upgrade on the remaining days, but that’s it. Has anyone seen an official statement? Maybe a glitch or intended hold back until next Friday which got out a little early for some but not all?

bender

What time is it?
Debating Red Dead Redemption. 20% isn't the greatest discount but it is a recent release. On the other hand, it was overpriced at launch. I'll probably snag Quake 2 for $3.99.

Even with this sale, PS plus essential is $5 more than the old normal price. This is embarrassing. Who is actually paying this much just for online play? I suspect they are just using it as a price anchor to make extra/premium not appear to be as big of a rip off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bought if for full price and enjoyed it very much. But then I also loved HFW.

It's more HFW.

Didn't try with the PS+ version but can't think of any reason it shouldn't work.

Thanks, will pick it up before the sale ends, who knows when/if it will be on a sale in the coming months.

GHound

Some of these prices are honestly not that great and that's before even getting into PS+ sub discounts.
Which, having caught some discussion across the internet about them, it's looking like the discounts for people with existing subs is either regional or entirely random. Weird.

Last edited:

Famipan

I think it’s better getting one single month of Extra a couple times a year and play a lot during one month, instead of getting a 25% discounted one year sub of Extra. Just burning through the shorter indie games and story games and stuff I won’t revisit could be worth it.

Still need some years working through my digital backlog though

Little Mac

Gold Member
Don't own a ps5 but ended up buying FFVII Remake intergrade for $15 bucks off Sony's site. Considering buying Ghosts of Tsushima ($30) and Spider-Man Miles Morales Ultimate Edition w/ Spider-Man 1 remastered ($35) off amazon. But I need to decide if I'm buying a PS5 Slim or not this holiday ... I'm having a hard time making a decision.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Superior how? By owning the digital edition, you're stuck buying from the PSN and are bound by their prices and sales. With physical, you have more freedom as a consumer to shop wherever you want and can find sales much more regularly.
I am a physical bro also and sometimes I wonder.... are we the ones who will be fucked in the end?
Like, look at driveclub for example. A game that was delisted from PSN and I am stuck with my physical copy with no dlc or nothing. That disc is all there is and ever will be for driveclub.
Meanwhile those who got it digitally, have it secured on their account for ps6 maybe if it comes without a disc drive.
Mixed feelings. Need emotional support.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I am a physical bro also and sometimes I wonder.... are we the ones who will be fucked in the end?
Like, look at driveclub for example. A game that was delisted from PSN and I am stuck with my physical copy with no dlc or nothing. That disc is all there is and ever will be for driveclub.
Meanwhile those who got it digitally, have it secured on their account for ps6 maybe if it comes without a disc drive.
Mixed feelings. Need emotional support.
I think so. I switched this gen for that reason.

Top Bottom