• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Is it me or does it feel like all hype and momentum Sony had just vanished? Is that hyperbolic to say, perhaps? Anybody else feel this way?
No you're not alone. After the shit storm of disappointment here and on Twitter my excitement has fizzled out a bit. I just wish there was honesty from the get go so I could've just clinged on to my ps4 pro for a few more years!

Reading some of Jim Ryan's quotes from Twiter over the past twelve months etc really shows how devious and creative he has been with his words to sell his lies. I wonder if Sony will keep him at the helm now he has created negative attention towards there brand.

Ultimately I'm enjoying my ps5 especially with patched games running at better resolutions and frame rates. Just disappointed that games won't fully be implemented with the full capabilites of a ps5 for a few years. Cross gen games will still look nice and have a nice jump in textures, ray tracing, resolution and frame rate etc.

Knowing what I know now I would've held off buying a ps5 for a few years.

No it doesn't, it's slower CPU and tiny SSD, don't make shit up.
And the GPU is the weakest, along with the RAM, how would that not make it the lowest common denominator when things are next gen only.

The CPU is basically the same as the PS5's, so CPU wise it won't hold back the gen in any meaningful way, I'll give you RAM but at 1080p you need WAY less memory so it probably won't be that big of a deal, and with the GPU you can scale down the framerate and resolution and still get competent performance. And the SSD is the same performance, just smaller amount, which will only effect how many games you can fit on it

Mr Moose

If that CPU is going to hold back the generation, then what will the PS5 CPU do?

CPU8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GH
Are you really that dense?
Wrong. The Series S has the exact same CPU as the Series X and the same speed SSD (it's just smaller in capacity, but still supports the SSD expansion).

It's not the same CPU or SSD, is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Bus

Banned
I'd like to know outside of R&C Rift Apart what other first party games we got that are ps5 only?

Seems odd for that to be it, and why?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
As someone wrote earlier : I have 0 incentive to upgrade from my PS4 pro. So deceptive, cause we won't see any game designed from the ground up for ps5. That was the duty of first party titles...
I just hate the Sony I see since a few months. I'm fed up with their lies.
I may go with switch pro after all, why not ? Never owned a Nintendo console.
I am also going to get a switch pro, but as a switch owner since launch I have to say it's arguably the worst Nintendo console ive ever owned. awful first party support. little to no AAA games. Zelda was a cross gen game that was designed around Wii U's limitations.

Since you didnt own a Wii U, you might enjoy their wii u ports. Wii U had way better exclusives imo. My son has been playing them for over a year but as a wii u owner, i feel like i had nothing to play on this thing for the past 4 years now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But it's not the Xbox One CPU some people are trying to make it out to be.
hes not saying that. hes trying to point out that it is not the same exact CPU. even if its under clocked by just 0.2 ghz, its not the same exact CPU.

a bit pedantic but thats what hes taking an issue with.

Kagey K

Banned
No you're not alone. After the shit storm of disappointment here and on Twitter my excitement has fizzled out a bit. I just wish there was honesty from the get go so I could've just clinged on to my ps4 pro for a few more years!

Reading some of Jim Ryan's quotes from Twiter over the past twelve months etc really shows how devious and creative he has been with his words to sell his lies. I wonder if Sony will keep him at the helm now he has created negative attention towards there brand.

Ultimately I'm enjoying my ps5 especially with patched games running at better resolutions and frame rates. Just disappointed that games won't fully be implemented with the full capabilites of a ps5 for a few years. Cross gen games will still look nice and have a nice jump in textures, ray tracing, resolution and frame rate etc.

Knowing what I know now I would've held off buying a ps5 for a few years.
And that is exactly why he felt the need to be deceitful with his words.

Had he been transparent from the start, there would have probably been a bunch more people like you willing to wait to upgrade.

Mr Moose

Why the fuck is your problem?
Read what I said again, I am not saying GPU isn't an issue, it will be, the biggest difference between this gen and last gen are those two things (IMO) CPU and HDD, that's last gen stuff.
The CPU and SSD are not the same (either the Hz or size) with the Series X.
The GPU could be an issue with next gen only games, which includes RAM not just TFlops.
If I am coming across as aggressive I apologize, it's just people don't seem to read these days (heh myself included).

3liteDragon

But it's not the Xbox One CPU some people are trying to make it out to be.
Idk why people think the CPU and SSD are different. The SSD size is smaller on the Series S but the speed is the same as Series X, and the CPU and GPU are based on the same architectures as the Series X as well, the MAIN concern with the S after last-gen is dropped in the future, is the RAM (as few devs have pointed out when the specs were revealed).

But to what extent will it affect third-parties? We won't know yet until we actually see the games running on each console.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Every single person in this thread whining will buy either of these games when they come out.
Definitely not for £70 knowing they're cross gen abortions.❤

Only Fools And Horses Today GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
hes not saying that. hes trying to point out that it is not the same exact CPU. even if its under clocked by just 0.2 ghz, its not the same exact CPU.

a bit pedantic but thats what hes taking an issue with.

He's taking issue with another poster above blowing up his narrative that it's a last gen CPU.

Read what I said again, I am not saying GPU isn't an issue, it will be, the biggest difference between this gen and last gen are those two things (IMO) CPU and HDD, that's last gen stuff.
The CPU and SSD are not the same (either the Hz or size) with the Series X.

No, you were claiming it was a last-gen CPU:

I agree (at least compared to last gen), that's why I've been talking shit about last gen CPUs and HDDS (not the GPUs).

It's not a last gen CPU. It's just under clocked by 0.2 ghz but is still the same Zen 2 CPU architecture that's in the Series X. The SSD is the same 2.4 GB/s uncompressed, 4.8 GB/s compressed SSD speed as in the Series X, only half the size in capacity. That's not a last gen HDD either.

Very disappointing for God of War, GT7 doesn't matter but having levels designed around the SSD was a big factor in my expectations for the next God of War game.

My PC and PS5 collecting dust. I tried Returnal but it's just too unforgiving for me and thus stressful to play and games are a stress reliever for me.

Mr Moose

He's taking issue with another poster above blowing up his narrative that it's a last gen CPU.

No, you were claiming it was a last-gen CPU:

It's not a last gen CPU. It's just under clocked by 0.2 ghz but is still the same Zen 2 CPU architecture that's in the Series X. The SSD is the same 2.4 GB/s uncompressed, 4.8 GB/s compressed SSD speed as in the Series X, only half the size in capacity. That's not a last gen HDD either.
Yeah that's the big jump from last gen, not this gen.

Are you really that dense?

It's not the same CPU or SSD, is it?
Same CPU at slightly slower speed which it doesn’t need the overhead because it’s not pushing the same pixels. More cpu power is needed for higher res.

they are completely equivalent for what matters.

you missed his point. The series S cpu is faster than PS5. Is PS5 now holding back this gen?

Dont see what the issue is. Look at Spiderman. A game developed years ago, on the PS5 has ray tracing and 2 second loading screen. Why would you think that the game wont have the bells and whistles on a PS5 and PS4 is just a sacrificed version with lower fps, blurrier image etc?

Mr Moose

Wait so now Zen 2/RDNA2 isn't next gen?
?
I'm saying if we are having only next gen games then the Series S is the anchor (if shit PCs aren't).
Same CPU at slightly slower speed which it doesn’t need the overhead because it’s not pushing the same pixels. More cpu power is needed for higher res.

they are completely equivalent for what matters.

you missed his point. The series S cpu is faster than PS5. Is PS5 now holding back this gen?
I was comparing the CPUs and SSDs to the shit we had last gen, not this gen.
I agree (at least compared to last gen), that's why I've been talking shit about last gen CPUs and HDDS (not the GPUs).
My original quote.

Last edited:
It was confirmed by jstevensen that ratchet started in 2019. As I had heard when I was with reset that it started much earlier. I was corrected by jstevensen who works for insomniac.

They made 2016 ratchet in 10 months.

They are sony's most effecient studio second to naughty dog. But even now I have to give it to insomniac.
Well:
Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

That is crazy. I love Insomniac games, and I knew they were efficient, but 2 years for a AAA game is ridiculous. Most games are running 3-6 year development cycles right now.....

ManaByte

Gold Member
Dont see what the issue is. Look at Spiderman. A game developed years ago, on the PS5 has ray tracing and 2 second loading screen. Why would you think that the game wont have the bells and whistles on a PS5 and PS4 is just a sacrificed version with lower fps, blurrier image etc?

Compare Spider-Man, even remastered, to Miles. In Miles when you go from an interior to an exterior, there's no loading and no fading to black. They actually animated a transition for it. Spider-Man Remastered still fades to black to load you into the exterior.

NewChoppa

Banned
Ps3 definitely had the quantity on cars, not sure why they didn't do as good on the amount of cars in the most recent iteration.

Like 80% of the cars on the PS3 were at PS2 levels of quality. When GT Sport came out, they got rid of all the models and rescanned them at a much higher quality for future proofing which looked great, but hurt the car list a lot (it dropped from roughly 1200, is currently sitting at around 350). Forza 5 went through roughly the same thing when that came out, which is why both games ended up getting criticised for a lack of content.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well:
Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

That is crazy. I love Insomniac games, and I knew they were efficient, but 2 years for a AAA game is ridiculous. Most games are running 3-6 year development cycles right now.....

It's not like you don't reuse character models/assets and then go back and add to it.

farmerboy

Not sure how I feel about this.

Surely though, unless they are fully prepared to develop 2 distinct games, then there is some sort of compromise. Either the PS5 version is held back or the PS4 version runs like shit.

?
I'm saying if we are having only next gen games then the Series S is the anchor (if shit PCs aren't).

I was comparing the CPUs and SSDs to the shit we had last gen, not this gen.

My original quote.

Is your argument that by being the lowest it will "hold back" the gen no matter what, even if the difference was hypothetically like .01 HZ? Then sure technically you could be correct, but the Series S will not have any real meaningful detriment to next gen game design, so saying it will "hold back" the gen seems disingenuous and kind of fanboyish.

Mr Moose

Not sure how I feel about this.

Surely though, unless they are fully prepared to develop 2 distinct games, then there is some sort of compromise. Either the PS5 version is held back or the PS4 version runs like shit.
Welcome to 30fps.

(It will look better, and run better but still).

Mr Moose

Is your argument that by being the lowest it will "hold back" the gen no matter what, even if the difference was hypothetically like .01 HZ? Then sure technically you could be correct, but the Series S will not have any real meaningful detriment to next gen game design, so saying it will "hold back" the gen seems disingenuous and kind of fanboyish.
I was saying the big difference this gen and last are the CPU and SSDs, yes the Series S should do fine with at least early games, but when next gen only games are released then it could be an anchor (like Xbox One and PS4 game are with cross gen games).
God of War whatever the new one is being called will be held back by PS4.
Of course this would mean dog shit PCs don't account into it.

Last edited:

Pipoqueiro

''Hermen Hulst, head of PlayStation Studios, shared the news as part of an interview on the PlayStation Blog. "Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 - for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 - we'll continue looking at that," he explained. "And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them."

I don't want to splash water on anyone's beer, but the transcript is kind of weird

Last edited:

Had he been transparent from the start, there would have probably been a bunch more people like you willing to wait to upgrade.

So its Jim Ryans fault you went shopping for a PS5? You couldn't use your common sense and prior knowledge of there barely being any new gen games for at least the first year of any new console? 🤣🤣🤣 you guys are a joke, grown ass men blaming another old fart for "making you buy" a PS5.

Im a big fan of the brand but looked at the covid situation, looked at the game releases and came to a logical conclusion that PS5 would do nothing for me right now as my Pro is handling games just fine. Nobody made me drop my pants and get F'ed in the ass because of marketing. Nobody put a spell on me that i just HAVE to give those $600 away. Jim Ryan you devil you 😈😈😈

Aenima

I was saying the big difference this gen and last are the CPU and SSDs, yes the Series S should do fine with at least early games, but when next gen only games are released then it could be an anchor (like Xbox One and PS4 game are with cross gen games).
God of War whatever the new one is being called will be held back by PS4.
Acording to developers the bottleneck of the Series S is the memory. CPU and SSD are fine.

Kagey K

Banned
So its Jim Ryans fault you went shopping for a PS5? You couldn't use your common sense and prior knowledge of there barely being any new gen games for at least the first year of any new console? 🤣🤣🤣 you guys are a joke, grown ass men blaming another old fart for "making you buy" a PS5.

Im a big fan of the brand but looked at the covid situation, looked at the game releases and came to a logical conclusion that PS5 would do nothing for me right now as my Pro is handling games just fine. Nobody made me drop my pants and get F'ed in the ass because of marketing. Nobody put a spell on me that i just HAVE to give those $600 away. Jim Ryan you devil you 😈😈😈
I resold all the ones I got at launch. Don’t currently have one now.

Like I said was just playing Devils Advocate as to why he felt he had to be deceitful.

Top Bottom