• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucah

you speak so well
I do miss Vinny on the Bombcast but the current crew/setup is perfectly okay. Brad is probably the best choice of host because it allows Jeff to be a little more laid back and concentrate on being as hilarious as he can be (and because Brad is genuinely an awesome host), Dan has been a fascinating addition because I have no idea what the hell we'll learn about him each week (and he fills the optimistic void left by Vinny) and Drew has improved a lot since his tenure on the cast started, he seems more comfortable talking more frequently now and it seems like him and Dan are becoming fast buds.

Nishastra

Banned
It's kind of crazy rewatching some of these old livestreams and stuff where Drew is like barely even a person.

Particularly that SSFIV stream where he's sitting there the whole time and says/does almost nothing.

Volotaire

It's kind of crazy rewatching some of these old livestreams and stuff where Drew is like barely even a person.

Particularly that SSFIV stream where he's sitting there the whole time and says/does almost nothing.

I hope Jason, like Drew, gets more opportunities to turn up when there is too short of staff or just UPF's in general. But that's going to be hard since he's in control of the control room now during the livestreams.

I remember getting some of these cardboard discs from somewhere, but I had no idea that this is what you were supposed to be doing with them. I just threw mine in the trash instead, where they belong.

Zaph

I hope Jason, like Drew, gets more opportunities to turn up when there is too short of staff or just UPF's in general. But that's going to be hard since he's in control of the control room now during the livestreams.
I think he's still settling into his job too. While he was a video producer at GI, it was a more traditional role (film this, then cut it). They didn't do live streams, nor did they have a tricaster or complex $80k studio. If you watch UPF you can tell he's still getting used to it all (he sometimes has trouble getting the right output, or switching cameras quick, like during Pogs).

Once he has that nailed, he'll no doubt start popping up more in content.

erawsd

People have probably already talked about this, but what people's feelings on Giantbomb with the recent changes (Dan and Jason being hired and Vinny goes to the east coast)?

I like Dan, although his reaction to every game seems to be "Wow, this is cool, I kinda like it!", but well, he seems cool. I don't think I've heard Jason beyond a couple of rare times during quick looks so I haven't gotten a sense of how he's like. Quick looks and livestreams haven't exploded so it looks like he's doing a good job at least.

I'm still bummed about Vinny though. Vinny's quick looks are great, but I'm no fan of Alex at all. No offense to Alex, but his sense of humor really clashes with mine. I wonder if they'll try to get more people hired for the east coast office, or if it'll just be Alex and Vinny there all the time.

Overall, I'm really happy with where they are.

I def miss Vinny with the main group, I always enjoyed him most on the bombcast and during the live streams. I think Alex mentioned that they've got everything they need now, so hopefully we start seeing more besides QLs of weird early access games.

Dan has exceeded my expectations. The thing I'm most bummed about is that he didn't join years ago, I'm sure we would have a ton of classic VinnyxDan and RyanxDan moments. I like his more open minded attitude to new games, Its a nice contrast to Jeff's jaded approach. The rest of the crew also seems more "on point" than at the start of the year. I was really down on Drew a couple OTs ago, but he's gotten much better on the mic. All Drew+Dan+Jason stuff this week was awesome, I still hate Drew's UPF picks though.

Volotaire

I think he's still settling into his job too. While he was a video producer at GI, it was a more traditional role (film this, then cut it). They didn't do live streams, nor did they have a tricaster or complex $80k studio. If you watch UPF you can tell he's still getting used to it all (he sometimes has trouble getting the right output, or switching cameras quick, like during Pogs).

I agree. getting used to something like a GiantBomb studio must be quite daunting, but exciting, too.

Branson

Guys defending the The Walking Dead: I don't think it needs defending if someone doesn't like it. It got it's dues when in came out in GOTY and is a very good game, but honestly more than any other genre I can tell that taletale games might not be for everyone in the way it's presented. They might prefer more focus on a gameplay aspect which in all honesty can be pretty janky on Telltales stuff. There's a fine line there I feel. I loved it personally too. I need to play Wolf at some point.

Honestly I've seen people prefer that Walking Dead fps over it also. Yes I was a bit taken back when someone said they thought it was better than the Telltale game.

Volotaire

Guys defending the The Walking Dead: I don't think it needs defending if someone doesn't like it. It got it's dues when in came out in GOTY and is a very good game, but honestly more than any other genre I can tell that taletale games might not be for everyone in the way it's presented. They might prefer more focus on a gameplay aspect which in all honesty can be pretty janky on tale tales stuff. There's a fine line there I feel. I loved it personally too. I need to play Wolf at some point.

Honestly I've seen people prefer that Walking Dead fps over it also. Yes I was a bit taken back when someone said they thought it was better that the Taletale game.

I think you'll prefer the Wolf Among Us action sequences, they're much more enjoyable and crafted. But it's at the detriment of being able to explore in the adventure style game. I can see why people may prefer the FPS over the TellTale version, for some people they prefer and want interactivity in video games, and Walking Dead serves too little of that.

Fox318

He was doing his best to protect us from pogs.

Myggen

Guys defending the The Walking Dead: I don't think it needs defending if someone doesn't like it. It got it's dues when in came out in GOTY and is a very good game, but honestly more than any other genre I can tell that taletale games might not be for everyone in the way it's presented. They might prefer more focus on a gameplay aspect which in all honesty can be pretty janky on tale tales stuff. There's a fine line there I feel. I loved it personally too. I need to play Wolf at some point.

I'm in the camp of people who disliked how TWD played, but loved the story so much that I was able to overlook what I considered to be pretty poor gameplay. But yeah, if the story doesn't really grab you, there's not much of value in that game. Still need to play season 2.

Branson

I think you'll prefer the Wolf Among Us action sequences, they're much more enjoyable and crafted. But it's at the detriment of being able to explore in the adventure style game. I can see why people may prefer the FPS over the TellTale version, for some people they prefer and want interactivity in video games, and Walking Dead serves too little of that.
TellTale? That makes more sense. Lol. I had just woken up haha. I really enjoyed all of TWD so I personally didnt have a problem with them in the context of the game but that's good to hear Wolf is at least a little different.

Volotaire

TellTale? That makes more sense. Lol. I had just woken up haha. I really enjoyed all of TWD so I personally didnt have a problem with them in the context of the game but that's good to hear Wolf is at least a little different.

I wouldn't say it is completely different, once you've played the Walking Dead, you'll be able to see patterns throughout the game with characters and choices that don't have any repercussions, or how the story might end up. It's like some of the facade that was hidden from you whilst playing The Walking Dead rubs off when playing subsequent Telltale games.

EDIT: oops you wrote little. I didn't notice that.

FStop7

Banned
Watching the GB OT, and I'm shocked with how much Jeff has soured on Walking Dead. He seemed to write them off as "Just more zombie shit", but didn't really bring up the game itself during the GOTY debates. Hearing that he really detest it as an experience is dissapointing - TWD is one of the biggest evolutions in the gaming medium this generation. Dan jumping on that bandwagon as well is suprising.

Broken adventure games are an evolution?

BearPawB

Banned
I thought walking dead was a great story telling game. I don't care if the action was bad and the puzzles were easy. That isn't the point of those games.

It did something almost no game does these days, it made me care about the characters.

The Walking Dead was great, but I hate it anyway because the success of it means that it's very unlikely I'll get a new season of Sam and Max anytime soon.

Now THOSE games were incredible.

Navid

Have to say, I really liked the 2nd half of the Cookies and Cream video... Something about running a level over and over until you get all the parts right with a goal in mind made the video more enjoyable with the added goal.

On a similar note, I definitely would like to see more videos from them where they played the game and have a good understanding of it prior to recording the videos rather than them going in completely cold (a lot of the times apparently not even looked at the key bindings).

Everyone has already forgotten The Walking Dead. The second game is already at its fourth chapter and I didn't even know it was out.

Most of what that game tried to achieve was done better by The Last of Us, and that's the game people will remember.

BearPawB

Banned
Everyone has already forgotten The Walking Dead. The second game is already at its fourth chapter and I didn't even know it was out.

Most of what that game tried to achieve was done better by The Last of Us, and that's the game people will remember.

Because you did not know about a game no one does?

f0rk

It did something almost no game does these days, it made me care about the characters.

Except for when the save system was fucked, I play the second episode with a character that originally died in the first episode, and how little that matters becomes blatantly obvious.

The super janky 'action' sequences remove a lot of tension as well. It put me off playing another tell tale game until they get a new engine.

Tucah

you speak so well
The site has been suffering from a severe lack of Dave Lang for months now. Is this Killer Instinct's fault?

Another Professional Wednesdays or whatever the Chicago one was would solve two issues - more Dave Lang and more Patrick interacting with other people.

Volotaire

I'm watching the Demo Derby. Tomb Raider 3 was awesome (and my first tomb raider game).

I finally watched Blade Runner as well from previous thread suggestions. It was great.

You are acting like John Drake hasn't been an integral part to many hilarious Giant Bomb moments, which he has.

I didn't even remember the guy's name, and I don't remember his voice from earlier shows. Maybe he used to be funny before he started working at Sony, but I didn't find him very amusing on this last show.

Edit: To clarify, the whole "i will act ignorant of Sony flaws and come off all PR" was funny as a once off joke, but he kept it going through the entire podcast. It got to the point where I'm not entirely sure it was a joke, and I think we was serious. The email where the person was asking about why people have to log in to claim the games for PS+ and the guy started making fun of him in a whiny voice and made sure to downplay it as much as possible calling it "a mild inconvenience at best" was really bad to me. He could have just said that it wasn't possible because so and so reason which would have been better in my opinion.

Man I'm catching up on this last UPF and I am getting some white-knuckle thrills watching Brad put his beer bottle in the most precarious positions possible

I didn't even remember the guy's name, and I don't remember his voice from earlier shows. Maybe he used to be funny before he started working at Sony, but I didn't find him very amusing on this last show.

Edit: To clarify, the whole "i will act ignorant of Sony flaws and come off all PR" was funny as a once off joke, but he kept it going through the entire podcast. It got to the point where I'm not entirely sure it was a joke, and I think we was serious. The email where the person was asking about why people have to log in to claim the games for PS+ and the guy started making fun of him in a whiny voice and made sure to downplay it as much as possible calling it "a mild inconvenience at best" was really bad to me. He could have just said that it wasn't possible because so and so reason which would have been better in my opinion.

Come on Drakes been working at Sony for less than a month. He is a close friend of the site regardless of his "PR Talk" he will always be welcomed on the bombcast. Also Barkerville.

I'm gonna go put you in the "No Fun" bin. K.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
John Drake was amazing on the Bombcast, giving Dan shit. The shilling wasn't the most entertaining, but the rest of it sure was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom