• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

openrob

This explains so many things...

Yeah. The one where you need to listen for it meowing, and the little scene where it runs away, and then comes back to the box. It's fine if that was it, I'm just curious if there was more. Like it grows bigger and catches mice or something. It has been months of running around Doubuita after all.

It does grow bigger. Not that I used it, but the Passport stuff allowed you to go online and compare your cat with others, including weight

Finally watched the Passport video. What a weird thing.

And yeah. That one female character who in my head is apparently some key part of Shenmue isnt really in the first game at all is kind of cool. Makes we interested in seeing a Shenmue 2 ER a little.

just finished the Shenmue 2 GT playthrough series.

Honestly, a much better game than Shenmue 1 from what I saw. Still hilariously bad dialogue, but characters (particularly Ren) are much more memorable.

I find it hilarious that they could have ended the game at one moment, but instead they opted to add like a 2 hour epilogue that is fairly story driven and linear.

If an HD remake is made, I wouldn't mind playing them for sure.

Spaghetti

Is it just me or are the voices a lot more clear and credible in the Shenmue Movie than the actual game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ww0RMANBQg

Sounds less distorted and uncompressed.
Yeah, the sound files in the game were heavily compressed because of the sheer amount of them, but they did (and hopefully still do somewhere) exist in uncompressed form. Hopefully an eventual HD Remaster uses those.

Did Vinny suck at fighting or what though?
Ehhhhh, not exactly. He didn't really get into the counter system, but he pulled off more complex moves like Shadow Step/Blade fine. The counter is a more efficient (and IMO, fun) way of fucking shit up, but the combat system is flexible. There are auto-combos and you can get away with doing nothing but punches and kicks through the whole game if you really want to.

Just started watching the first episode, but I'm not familiar with the GI guys. Their personalities aren't as funny as GB, but still entertaining, of course.
The GI guys are more like, radio DJs, if that makes any sense. Lotta bass in their voice recordings, a bit more low energy.

Honestly, a much better game than Shenmue 1 from what I saw. Still hilariously bad dialogue, but characters (particularly Ren) are much more memorable.

I find it hilarious that they could have ended the game at one moment, but instead they opted to add like a 2 hour epilogue that is fairly story driven and linear.

How did you find the story, overall?

What do you think of the characterization of Ryo in II compared to 1. What do you think about his character arc?

Yeah, the sound files in the game were heavily compressed because of the sheer amount of them, but they did (and hopefully still do somewhere) exist in uncompressed form. Hopefully an eventual HD Remaster uses those.

Ehhhhh, not exactly. He didn't really get into the counter system, but he pulled off more complex moves like Shadow Step/Blade fine. The counter is a more efficient (and IMO, fun) way of fucking shit up, but the combat system is flexible. There are auto-combos and you can get away with doing nothing but punches and kicks through the whole game if you really want to.

The GI guys are more like, radio DJs, if that makes any sense. Lotta bass in their voice recordings, a bit more low energy.

How did you find the story, overall?

What do you think of the characterization of Ryo in II compared to 1. What do you think about his character arc?

I think Ryo's overly serious deadpan attitude works better as the stranger from another land in a fish out of water story than as a local in a town everyone is supposed to know him. Maybe it's the English voice acting not doing him any particularly favors though in characterization though. When he's
reminiscing over his family and friends back home
all I could think about is how its hard to picture him having fun because he's so stiff throughout the first.

The more playful character of Ren really played off him well in the typical Japanese fashion of comedy of the straight man and the clown.

I saw him humbled throughout the game and grow in his skills in the narrative.

So a better character when he's surrounded by unknown people where acting as he does seems more normal I guess. I wish he would have shown more in the first title considering he knew everyone in there enough but he was also mourning and with revenge in his mind so I can always pass it off as a change in attitude.

As to the game itself I actually did enjoy what they did with the epilogue. Probably better to end it on a decline in excitement Ala more traditional movie vs peak which is something I see all too often in long series.

If the HD titles/ports come I have a better idea of what to expect now too. A game won't ever be the same when you watch someone else play it talking throughout the whole thing vs getting immersed. Maybe I'd be more forgiving over issues in shenmue 1 if I didn't have people cracking jokes and complaining as they play it removing me from the experience.

But I also now know that I don't really have to practice the combat in shenmue 1 until like some point before getting the boat ticket.

The ball is in segas court. Even if the titles are never released on ps4/pc I can at least now get shenmue 3 which I backed for a copy of the game and not be lost.

Spaghetti

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm guessing you'll somewhat be on the Shenmue III hype train for the (now looking to be in December) re-reveal?

As to the game itself I actually did enjoy what they did with the epilogue. Probably better to end it on a decline in excitement Ala more traditional movie vs peak which is something I see all too often in long series.
I never really thought about it like that. I've been wondering why I feel constantly let down by video game endings (most recently
Mafia III
) but not by Shenmue II (cliffhanger and all), and I guess it's because of the two hours of decompression/world building
followed by swerve ending.

IMO, anyone who watched this ER should still play the games. Watching someone play Shenmue is completely different than playing and experiencing it. Maybe you'll come away with the same conclusion the Beast guys did, or maybe not.

And yeah, Ryo is much better in II and more in his element.

What did you think of the classic Shenmue slow burn? i.e.
Building up Ryo in 1 as a martial artist who can take on 70 dudes in a night on two hours of sleep, but can't even manage to touch a 26 year old Taoist master in Hong Kong? Where you realize, he's really just maybe above average as a martial artist, and if he needed to be on par with Lan Di he'd need at least ten-fifteen more years of training to be on his level. Or the build up to meeting Shenhua?
That build up. More games could learn from it.

Spaghetti

What did you think of the classic Shenmue slow burn? i.e.
Building up Ryo in 1 as a martial artist who can take on 70 dudes in a night on two hours of sleep, but can't even manage to touch a 26 year old Taoist master in Hong Kong? Where you realize, he's really just maybe above average as a martial artist, and if he needed to be on par with Lan Di he'd need at least ten-fifteen more years of training to be on his level. Or the build up to meeting Shenhua?
That build up. More games could learn from it.
One of the things I'm most excited to learn about in Shenmue III is how the fuck
Ryo is actually going to beat Lan Di. Even beating Dou Niu is small fry compared to Xiuying, who could probably get her ass kicked by Lan Di.

It's probably got something to do with meeting the
Master of Nanquan, but not even that should be enough. I'm starting to think Ryo may not even win.

One of the things I'm most excited to learn about in Shenmue III is how the fuck
Ryo is actually going to beat Lan Di. Even beating Dou Niu is small fry compared to Xiuying, who could probably get her ass kicked by Lan Di.

It's probably got something to do with meeting the
Master of Nanquan, but not even that should be enough. I'm starting to think Ryo may not even win.

I thought it was pretty clear from II that
Ryo will lose against Lan Di if they ever fight. It'd take him at least ten years to be on par with Lan Di. Iwao was a master and trained in multiple styles and had years more experience than Lan Di and still died without touching his murderer. That's what Ryo is up against. The sheer odds here are substantial and the build up to the confrontation is amazing. I think they'll fight in III since Lan Di is headed to Guilin and it's going to be completely tragic for Ryo. The classic Wuxia story honestly. I expect there to be a time skip in the overall story because no way is Ryo going to be able to hang with Lan Di in the remotely near future. Xiuying was clear on this. I don't think Ryo will take revenge on Lan Di. Everything is pointing to Ryo hopefully breaking the cycle of hate and revenge.

The one big takeaway i have from watching the Endurance Run is that Alex from GB was an insufferably negative crybaby from start to finish.

Spaghetti

I thought it was pretty clear from II that
Ryo will lose against Lan Di if they ever fight. It'd take him at least ten years to be on par with Lan Di. Iwao was a master and trained in multiple styles and had years more experience than Lan Di and still died without touching his murderer. That's what Ryo is up against. The sheer odds here are substantial and the build up to the confrontation is amazing. I think they'll fight in III since Lan Di is headed to Guilin and it's going to be completely tragic for Ryo. The classic Wuxia story honestly. I expect there to be a time skip in the overall story because no way is Ryo going to be able to hang with Lan Di in the remotely near future. Xiuying was clear on this. I don't think Ryo will take revenge on Lan Di. Everything is pointing to Ryo hopefully breaking the cycle of hate and revenge.
Oh they'll definitely
fight in III. Yu Suzuki actually confirmed it sometime last year. The games do set up Ryo as some martial arts savant of sorts, so I wouldn't say a win is totally out of the question. I agree that the cycle of revenge will end though; but there's a swerve coming. I know it. I feel it.

Oh they'll definitely
fight in III. Yu Suzuki actually confirmed it sometime last year. The games do set up Ryo as some martial arts savant of sorts, so I wouldn't say a win is totally out of the question. I agree that the cycle of revenge will end though; but there's a swerve coming. I know it. I feel it.

Ryo's great, but Lan Di is like, Michael Jordan - the best of the best. I think he'll be able to beat Lan Di, but not in the forseable future. I bet you a time skip is that swerve. You know how in a wuxia movie, the hero fights the villain only to lose unceremoniously and has to train a hundred times harder to defeat them? I think we'll see it in III. We're getting Shenmue III - WE'RE GETTING SHENMUE III. *salivates*

Spaghetti

Ryo's great, but Lan Di is like, Michael Jordan - the best of the best. I think he'll be able to beat Lan Di, but not in the forseable future. I bet you a time skip is that swerve. You know how in a wuxia movie, the hero fights the villain only to lose unceremoniously and has to train a hundred times harder to defeat them? I think we'll see it in III. We're getting Shenmue III - WE'RE GETTING SHENMUE III. *salivates*
So you're telling me Shenmue III is secretly
Space Jam 2?

So you're telling me Shenmue III is secretly
Space Jam 2?

75ndcqL.gif

What I'm getting from the story is that Ryo
doesn't stand a chance against Lan Di as he is currently he:

- couldn't touch an old master in a park who specialized in tai chi or w/e it was
- couldn't touch his sexy sensei who made a mockery of him, and I don't even know if she'd be able to beat Lan Di.
- Couldn't touch the big fat baldie until the end, and even then you are barely able to beat him until you do a trick you were taught

What the game might be setting up is that Ryo
is still relatively a prodigy who may reach great heights. Like a shonen protagonist in anime/manga. He has a lot of potential to become one of the greats considering how fast he's learning some hard techniques

It'll be interesting. Seems like at the very least he's above average, and can beat some extremely tough opponents and plenty of underlings but just isn't at a master level, which is where many of the keyplayers are.

LiK

Holy shit, I don't remember the bonus disc contents and I was laughing so hard at those silly music videos.

Spaghetti

What I'm getting from the story is that Ryo
doesn't stand a chance against Lan Di as he is currently he:

- couldn't touch an old master in a park who specialized in tai chi or w/e it was
- couldn't touch his sexy sensei who made a mockery of him, and I don't even know if she'd be able to beat Lan Di.
- Couldn't touch the big fat baldie until the end, and even then you are barely able to beat him until you do a trick you were taught

What the game might be setting up is that Ryo
is still relatively a prodigy who may reach great heights. Like a shonen protagonist in anime/manga. He has a lot of potential to become one of the greats considering how fast he's learning some hard techniques

It'll be interesting. Seems like at the very least he's above average, and can beat some extremely tough opponents and plenty of underlings but just isn't at a master level, which is where many of the keyplayers are.
That's about it.

I predict a
training montage.
Either that, or possible
chi-based shenanigans, though Shenhua is the only person in the series that has ever exhibited straight up chi powers. It's entirely possible everything goes south for Ryo in Shenmue III and it ends up being The Empire Strikes Back of the series.

Unless I'm remembering some fanfiction, wasn't there some hint that Ryo
attempts to fight Lan Di (possibly in this coming installment) and gets seriously hurt, like near death?

LiK

Wasn't there a scene with Nozomi they never encountered or am I misremembering? I keep remembering that you had some alone time with Nozomi at some shrine or something. It's been so long I don't know if it's a real scene, lol

SilentRob

I just tried watching this ER but only made it to Episode 3. Even 3 great personalities can only do so much with such a boring experience. "Man, that voice acting sure is terrible" only gets you so far.

Wasn't there a scene with Nozomi they never encountered or am I misremembering? I keep remembering that you had some alone time with Nozomi at some shrine or something. It's been so long I don't know if it's a real scene, lol

Yeah.

Anyway, possibly one the best bits of environmental storytelling I've ever seen is that Fuku can "teach you" a move in the form of you demonstrating to him how to perform a basic attack for beginners, but meanwhile on his desk in his room there's a move scroll for an attack called fucking Shadow Reaper

That's about it.

I predict a
training montage.
Either that, or possible
chi-based shenanigans, though Shenhua is the only person in the series that has ever exhibited straight up chi powers. It's entirely possible everything goes south for Ryo in Shenmue III and it ends up being The Empire Strikes Back of the series.

I'm thinking it won't be chi-based because as far as we know, Lan Di doesn't use chi. He's just a highly talented martial artist. I think using chi techniques or a training montage would take away from Shenmue's commitment to realism. Which is why I think a time skip is possible.

Ever since finishing Shenmue II, I've been expecting the series to culminate in a (hopefully) toned down version of the Shenmue Online trailer.

Zafir

Was it ever confirmed, or just heavily implied that Lan di is the
brother of sexy sensei

I'm not sure he was since a lot of the material suggested otherwise, though I can see why people would think such. For a long time it was hinted that he might be one of the four leaders of Chi You Men alongside Lan Di, but Yu Suzuki denied it as far as I recall.

I'm not sure where Ziming Hong stands these days. Probably just a lower rank dude.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I watched this entire thing. Loved Shenmue back in the day and I barely remembered anything lol.

Really hope they do Shenmue 2.

sbkodama

AH, phew, thought I was making things up. That was a good scene, iirc. Can't watch your link atm but it's a shame they didn't see it. Probably seems goofy now if I watch it.
To be fair the fact that it can only be triggered during one tiny part of the story that you can do in less than a day make it really easy to miss, and the one with friends even more.

LiK

To be fair the fact that it can only be triggered during one tiny part of the story that you can do in less than a day make it really easy to miss, and the one with friends even more.

oh, don't even remember how to initiate it. guess i was lucky.

Nope. Ziming is another guy in the Chi You Men.

I'm not sure he was since a lot of the material suggested otherwise, though I can see why people would think such. For a long time it was hinted that he might be one of the four leaders of Chi You Men alongside Lan Di, but Yu Suzuki denied it as far as I recall.

I'm not sure where Ziming Hong stands these days. Probably just a lower rank dude.
Ah.

Nice to know. I thought the twist was going to come at any moment and I was waiting to roll my eyes since I saw it coming a mile away, nice to know I was wrong.

Ah.

Nice to know. I thought the twist was going to come at any moment and I was waiting to roll my eyes since I saw it coming a mile away, nice to know I was wrong.

Zhao Sun Ming *is* Lan Di's father though. So Iwao kills Zhao and we don't know why but it's pretty clear they're friends from the photograph in the basement. Lan Di kills Iwao, and now Ryo wants to kill Lan Di. For extra depression, Lan Di kills Iwao on Ryo's birthday.

Einhander

Really hoping Shenmue III does well enough in sales, that it merits a Shenmue IV to be made. I don't want it to end at the third game. I think there should be at least one more after that to conclude the story.

Shenmue IV should go all out with mythical demons and super humans.

Einhander

This would be the most disappointing thing to me.

Yeah, I was joking. It would be silly to add supernatural elements into a story that is completely grounded in reality as its foundation, especially so when it hasn't ever had any fantasy into the games. It would feel very tacked on if the tone of the story changed drastically.
I think a proper, well-choreographed final boss battle with Lan Di would be great, though, and it shouldn't have any QTE. Or, you know, I just got to thinking it would be interesting if Ryo and Lan Di were put into a situation where they were stuck in an isolated region with just the two of them surrounded by nature while they were having their intense fight. Throughout their journey to get out of that predicament, they both decide that they no longer have the will power to kill each other and have come to an understanding.

So I think it's a safe bet that the crew will do something with Shenmue II. Will it be another Endurance Run? or will they change the format and turn it into a weekly feature? I really hope it's not an hour long quick look, that would be worse then getting nothing at all.

Yeah, I was joking. It would be silly to add supernatural elements into a story that is completely grounded in reality as its foundation, especially so when it hasn't ever had any fantasy into the games. It would feel very tacked on if the tone of the story changed drastically.
I think a proper, well-choreographed final boss battle with Lan Di would be great, though, and it shouldn't have any QTE. Or, you know, I just got to thinking it would be interesting if Ryo and Lan Di were put into a situation where they were stuck in an isolated region with just the two of them surrounded by nature while they were having their intense fight. Throughout their journey to get out of that predicament, they both decide that they no longer have the will power to kill each other and have come to an understanding.

What I like about the games is that hint of mysticism. The dreams, the prophecy, Shenhua blowing flower petals with her chi. I think Shenmue is great because of the wonderful blend of realism with that light touch of something beyond the curtain. If it went full of supernatural, I think it'd lose its appeal. Thankfully, Yu Suzuki has reassured us Shenmue will not go in that direction. I'm fine with mysticism so long as it's only in relation to Shenhua. When it comes to Ryo, I think it would undermine his quest if he gained the power to harness chi or have powers. I agree with you too. My ultimate dream scenario for the final battle of Ryo vs Lan Di is surrounded by nature. Just the two of them. I don't think it would be in Lan Di's nature to not want to kill Ryo, but I do think it would great to have Ryo only fight him to prove himself he can now beat him, not necessarily kill him, in true Akira/Ryu fashion.

openrob

What I like about the games is that hint of mysticism. The dreams, the prophecy, Shenhua blowing flower petals with her chi. I think Shenmue is great because of the wonderful blend of realism with that light touch of something beyond the curtain. If it went full of supernatural, I think it'd lose its appeal. Thankfully, Yu Suzuki has reassured us Shenmue will not go in that direction. I'm fine with mysticism so long as it's only in relation to Shenhua. When it comes to Ryo, I think it would undermine his quest if he gained the power to harness chi or have powers. I agree with you too. My ultimate dream scenario for the final battle of Ryo vs Lan Di is surrounded by nature. Just the two of them. I don't think it would be in Lan Di's nature to not want to kill Ryo, but I do think it would great to have Ryo only fight him to prove himself he can now beat him, not necessarily kill him, in true Akira/Ryu fashion.

Spoiler/not spoiler

https://secure.static.tumblr.com/a1...r_static_daxi0162vtsg4wswsckg8sk8g_640_v2.jpg

Top Bottom