• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

So does Shenhua actually speak in the game, or did the fly Debora Rabbai (who's a reasonably successful voice actress) in from New York just to do the passport stuff? And then they recast her in 2? Jeez.

I'm sure its available online somewhere, but if anyone wants I can upload the original Shenmue trailer that came on the Dreamcast preview disc.

So there's something magical about the final line of the ER being Mark telling them about buying food for the cat
They finally came to the realization that there's content and mechanics they missed and maybe should’ve checked the Passport content first.
Personally I think if they just explored the menus and buttons from the beginning (maybe checking out the manual) things would’ve gone way more smoothly for them.

Zafir

They finally came to the realization that there's content and mechanics they missed and maybe should’ve checked the Passport content first.
Personally I think if they just explored the menus and buttons from the beginning (maybe checking out the manual) things would’ve gone way more smoothly for them.
Even a skim of the manual would have probably helped. All the mechanics are explained really well in it.

I mean it came out when Manuals were actually the main resource for game mechanics.

Jarnet87

It was a fun ride, bring on the sequel when Dan permanently goes east. It might be too short a period between games though and vinny could snap

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think she speaks in the opening cinematic.

But isn't what she says in the prologue the same things she said in the passport disc ?

Super weird they had at least 2 highly detailed character models which were completely unused in the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What about Lan Di's? He's only in the intro.

Well .. yeah ..that too .. he only appears in 3 instances in the game total iirc. But then in Shenmue 2 (i played it YEARS ago), I think he only appears in the one helicopter scene too.

Lan-Di is prominent for the intro to Shenmue 1 though.. so at least he's a big figure in the game.

FStop7

Banned
So there's something magical about the final line of the ER being Mark telling them about buying food for the cat

Someday Chibi's son is going to go on a revenge quest looking for the asshole teenager who put his mom in a box and starved her to death. He'll even have a tiny leather jacket.

But isn't what she says in the prologue the same things she said in the passport disc ?

Super weird they had at least 2 highly detailed character models which were completely unused in the game.

It could be, I can't remember.

It all relates to the games being split up late in development. The passport disc was made by a separate team and they were probably given certain assets initially that they developed around. There was definitely miscommunication at various levels from Sega as well. It seems like they assumed gamers understood this stuff was all in the pipeline and would be important for some reason.

Also remember that Shenmue was originally supposed to be 1 and 2 together in one game: an 8 disc game I think? Or was that Suzuki hyperbole? lol. But Sega needed a hit and Shenmue was what they were hoping on, so they had to split the game into two. The first part (Yokosuka) section wasn't supposed to be as long as it was supposed to be. Xiuying and Shenhua were in the title as well. Shenmue III was supposed to originally be Shenmue II. So when they made the passport disc, a high quality model of Xiuying and Shenhua were already available. Also, Shenhua would be among the first high quality models to be made anyways because she's the heroine of the series, along side Ryo. Shenmue has two protagonists in a way.

(Shenmue 2 spoilers)

Heh funny how they comment on
Xiuying
It's interesting that she's in those promotional material videos considering there's nothing else from Shenmue 2. Was she meant to be in Shenmue originally? I mean Chen obviously gives you the letter to go see her, but I don't see why she would be in the first game otherwise unless they changed the story.

Edit: Wow she has a completely different Voice Actress too, hah.

I'm not sure if
Xiuying was meant to be in 1. There are scenes of her in Dobuita but maybe it was just a test. I think it's in What's Shenmue? I'm not sure. I think they had one prepared because remember that Shenmue 1 and 2 were originally supposed to be one game that was split into parts.

This is my favorite episode because it's so confusing for them. "Who are you?" "That's not Nozomi." I said the same things when I went through the passport after beating the game the first time.

Zafir

Also remember that Shenmue was originally supposed to be 1 and 2 together in one game: an 8 disc game I think? Or was that Suzuki hyperbole? lol. But Sega needed a hit and Shenmue was what they were hoping on, so they had to split the game into two. The first part (Yokosuka) section wasn't supposed to be as long as it was supposed to be. Xiuying and Shenhua were in the title as well. Shenmue III was supposed to originally be Shenmue II. So when they made the passport disc, a high quality model of Xiuying and Shenhua were already available. Also, Shenhua would be among the first high quality models to be made anyways because she's the heroine of the series, along side Ryo. Shenmue has two protagonists in a way.

I'm not sure if
Xiuying was meant to be in 1. There are scenes of her in Dobuita but maybe it was just a test. I think it's in What's Shenmue? I'm not sure. I think they had one prepared because remember that Shenmue 1 and 2 were originally supposed to be one game that was split into parts.

Yeah I'm aware they used to be one game. But as I stated, they had no other parts of Shenmue 2 displayed in any of those trailers so I can't see how that was the reason.

I could understand it if you saw other Shenmue 2 bits dotted around as well, but you just don't. She's just randomly in the trailer and on the disk for no real reason.

Spaghetti

Yeah I'm aware they used to be one game. But as I stated, they had no other parts of Shenmue 2 displayed in any of those trailers so I can't see how that was the reason.

I could understand it if you saw other Shenmue 2 bits dotted around as well, but you just don't. She's just randomly in the trailer and on the disk for no real reason.
I imagine that model might have been either a holdover from before SEGA ordered the game to be split, or just a little easter egg/hint at the future.

After all
they do kind of tease the Xiuying = Master Tao reveal using her theme during the Swallow Flip instruction.

Zafir

I imagine that model might have been either a holdover from before SEGA ordered the game to be split, or just a little easter egg/hint at the future.

After all
they do kind of tease the Xiuying = Master Tao reveal using her theme during the Swallow Flip instruction.

Yeah I did already mention that before, but
for a decent chunk of Shenmue 2 he doesn't even realise it's a woman, lol.

They probably just left it in as a easter egg/teaser, but I still think it's just super random. :p

Well it was a fun run. I think all us SShenmue fans enjoyed getting to embrace it once again, and allowed those who were curious abut the game to get a slight idea about what the game is.

Might as well post.
Shenmue 2 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Izd2f6k2I

Every time I watch that trailer I'm reminded how in one year they managed to improve many aspects in regards to the first game, most notably models for Shenmue 2.

Every time I watch that trailer I'm reminded how in one year they managed to improve many aspects in regards to the first game, most notably models for Shenmue 2.

The Lan Di part in the trailer. Jesus.

And the cinematography in general has some amazing shots in the game cutscenes. Almost all are Ren related of course.

And Xiuying practicing Pigua. Christ, that animation with the motion blur.

We're getting a new Shenmue guys. *tears fall down cheek*

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Because being able to feed a cat will solve every problem they have with the game.

RPS37

So I just finished watching every episode today.
That was fun.
Did Vinny suck at fighting or what though?
I started watching the gametrailers dudes playing Shenmue 2, but I don't know if I want to wait and see if the GB dudes end up doing another one.

So I just finished watching every episode today.
That was fun.
Did Vinny suck at fighting or what though?
I started watching the gametrailers dudes playing Shenmue 2, but I don't know if I want to wait and see if the GB dudes end up doing another one.
I have a feeling it'd be a while before shenmue 2 for GB. I'm watching the GT guys, in the last episode (which is a whopping 6 hours long I stopped at 3 for tonight will finish it off tomorrow).

The biggest downside to watching the GT guys is how much time they spend playing the gambling mini game lucky hit. They spend so much time playing it when there are safer and more effective ways to make money unless they were actually good at it.

I will say though that one of the three guys who plays it in GT is actually decent at fighting and I can see why it could be considered fun if you were good at it.

It's a pretty big shift in presentation though. With the GB playthrough they went in blind which meant failing and winning on their own terms, for good and bad. With the GT crew for the most part they didn't use the streaming crowd help but when they did they told them like exactly what to do and they did it. Very effective though when you don't want to see guys fail and repeat over and over again.

If I gotta say there's one thing worth seeing the GB guys play it though is if you enjoy the mocking of some of the dialogue delivery and situations from the game. These guys are so into it that I've found myself many times laughing at some parts, particularly Ryo's deadpan delivery to many situations, that the GT guys don't really bat an eye at while I'm sure the GB guys would have cracked a joke or laughed at.

Edit: also as someone else mentioned there's the bonus of halfway through the show they're saying they're going to E3 and one of them is like "this is the year, shenmue 3. I don't care if it's a Kickstarter" lmao

And then you remember that 2 or so of the guys were in the GT reaction to shenmue 3 which got famous

Lucky Hit save scum? Just go to the gamble den in Aberdeen and play Big or Small. You can get nearly 100k in ten minutes that way. That lasts the entire game. You can bet up to 1k HKS that way. Lucky Hit would be tedious for save scumming compared to that game.

Lucky Hit save scum? Just go to the gamble den in Aberdeen and play Big or Small. You can get nearly 100k in ten minutes that way. That lasts the entire game. You can bet up to 1k HKS that way. Lucky Hit would be tedious for save scumming compared to that game.

Yeah, I'm assuming we were both talking about Big or Small. Lucky Hit would be a nightmare.

BOTEC

I meant to ask, what are those two "?" videos in the movie viewer? I'm guessing one is the bad ending.

And what was supposed to happen with the kitten? I fed it a bunch, and then one day the little girl said her mother agreed to take her in, and they didn't appear at the shrine anymore. Was that it?

I meant to ask, what are those two "?" videos in the movie viewer? I'm guessing one is the bad ending.

And what was supposed to happen with the kitten? I fed it a bunch, and then one day the little girl said her mother agreed to take her in, and they didn't appear at the shrine anymore. Was that it?
They killed the kitty

Tom's hot dogs are made of kittens

Did you do the find the kitty mission?

BOTEC

They killed the kitty

Tom's hot dogs are made of kittens

This explains so many things...

Did you do the find the kitty mission?

Yeah. The one where you need to listen for it meowing, and the little scene where it runs away, and then comes back to the box. It's fine if that was it, I'm just curious if there was more. Like it grows bigger and catches mice or something. It has been months of running around Doubuita after all.

Top Bottom