• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentyn

Review for Shadow of Mordor is coming next week and a Quick Look on release day according to Brad's Twitter. Looks like WB went with the Nintendo way of doing things and still has dumb video restrictions for the game even though the review embargo is already over.

fleck0

Drew starting to scratch the surface of Metal Gear silliness this week reminded me I still want Brad to play Kingdom Hearts.

K.Sabot

Well, their reviews end up on Metacritic so you'd think that publishers want them in the fold as well rather than being an outlier after the release hype has died down.

So happy to see an Unfinished of Civilization: Beyond Earth on the schedule. I can hardly wait to see some
utterly incompetent
gameplay from the GB team! And it's not even a QLEX, which is fantastic.

What's up with GB not having any reviews for the latest games?

The review the games that matter. Like Divinity: Original Sin!

Giant Bomb #10 | xx_Vietnam_xx

^I had no idea Beyond Earth was coming out already. Where do I find the time to play that?!

e: Wait Unfinished, not QL. Apparently it's coming out on the same week as Bayonetta 2...

Myggen

Shadow of mordor getting good reviews. Can't wait for the quick look.

Oh man, you weren't kidding. Did not expect that game to review that well, I had no real expectations for it because it looked like an Assassin's Creed clone in a universe I don't care about.

I'm sure there'll be a QL of it going up this weekend. Brad has been playing it for some time now.

Oh man, you weren't kidding. Did not expect that game to review that well, I had no real expectations for it because it looked like an Assassin's Creed clone in a universe I don't care about.

I'm sure there'll be a QL of it going up this weekend. Brad has been playing it for some time now.

It's sure to be a good one, Brad can wax poetic on LOTR all day.

Xater

All impressions I heard during Gamescom were really positive, sadly I could not check it out because of my MKX appointment. Seems like it became what I was hoping for an AC game that actually focuses on assassination people without all the boring bullshit.

Xater

Live stream of the end of MGS? That is going to be fun. Hope Drew jumps into MGS2 immediately, the jump will blow his mind.

Myggen

Yeah man a quick look filled with complaining about Lord of the Rings. Jeez sounds riveting.

Brad is a big LOTR fan, and he'll be driving the QL. Dan has said that he's interested in the game even though he didn't really like either the movies or the book. I imagine that Drew doesn't mind LOTR at least. So it's not that bad.

Zaph

This is easily the best the site has been since Ryan's passing, real shame he can't be a part of this current madness.

As good as the Bombcast currently is, it would have been hilarious if Ryan was around to just brutalise Dan every time he comes out with some nonsense. That dude had a way of ripping people apart in the most friendly way possible.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh jesus. Everytime I accidentally log out of my premium account on GB I'm harshly reminded how horrible the site looks with ad on it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought I'd hate that they changed the gameplay for Gauntlet, but that looks really cool with the different systems for each class.

daydream

Banned
I thought I'd hate that they changed the gameplay for Gauntlet, but that looks really cool with the different systems for each class.

It looks super boring to me. I don't necessarily agree with "proverbial Gauntlet fan" that it has to be like classic Gauntlet *but* having hordes of enemies like in the original games sure would make it more exciting.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Here in Europe (at least in Norway), there's almost never big ads on the page, so the site looks alright when logged out.

This is how it looks for me (in Austria)
gjbu9eee.png

The thing up top is a video. Now, you might not see it but if you look very closely you can see remnants of the Gauntlet QL on the very bottom of the page.
I don't really care since I'm a premium member but geez I can understand why people use adblock. Neogaf has pretty inoffensive ads (though it keeps showing me creepy "sexy" anime F2P browser games), but I guess you can have those if you have a bigger userbase?

Here in Europe (at least in Norway), there's almost never big ads on the page, so the site looks alright when logged out.

Finland here, just one small banner (similar to what NeoGAF has) between the top bar and the first content.
Further proof that MS just doesn't care about us. edit: I guess it's more of a CoD ad. No idea which company is paying for it.
Neogaf has pretty inoffensive ads (though it keeps showing me creepy "sexy" anime F2P browser games), but I guess you can have those if you have a bigger userbase?
I'd guess it's more about the (bandwidth) cost per view. NeoGAF is serving a page of text per ad view whereas Giant Bomb is serving hundreds of megabytes of video.

Myggen

This is how it looks for me (in Austria)

The thing up top is a video. Now, you might not see it but if you look very closely you can see remnants of the Gauntlet QL on the very bottom of the page.
I don't really care since I'm a premium member but geez I can understand why people use adblock. Neogaf has pretty inoffensive ads (though it keeps showing me creepy "sexy" anime F2P browser games), but I guess you can have those if you have a bigger userbase?

It's probably more the bandwidth cost than anything else (and CBSi of course wants to get as much money as possible). I'm guessing that it's way, way more expensive to run a site like GB than to run GAF.

I personally have no real problem with those kind of ads. They make sites uglier, sure, but they don't bother me. Pop up ads and ads that auto play with sound is what I dislike.

popo

So happy to see an Unfinished of Civilization: Beyond Earth on the schedule. I can hardly wait to see some
utterly incompetent
gameplay from the GB team! And it's not even a QLEX, which is fantastic.

I think Alex is doing it and he played an awful lot of Civ so should at least know what he us doing.

Zaph

I'd guess it's more about the (bandwidth) cost per view. NeoGAF is serving a page of text per ad view whereas Giant Bomb is serving hundreds of megabytes of video.

CBSi, like most site networks, has its own ad sales team, which is why you see those big, dedicated campaigns and takeovers. They cut those deals directly for specific territories (unsold territories get generic ads or nothing).

Neogaf outsources sales to an ad network, which is why you see smaller ads, often based on your browsing history (if you have that enabled) or scanning the page for relevance. For the most part it's a very hands-off system, but it also means you can't pre-approve anything.

The downside is the ads aren't as valuable as the directly sold campaigns, so even if GAF receives more traffic compared to GB, it probably doesn't make more money. Being a forum also massively impacts ad value too.

brad was right

outside of the wizard game looks boring and generic

id hate to be stuck with the lame classes

can everyone be a wizard at the same time? itd be like the less fun magicka sequel no one asked for

I am kinda hoping Danny and Drew get a FIFA 15 QL in before The Departure

I'm a football fan, but was never much in FIFA in recent years. Might give this one a go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom