• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies - 2 year anniversary stats

TheTony316

Is the SEQUEL to one of the greatest games ever made.

God of War 2018 achieved ≈20 M in roughly the same amount of time.

The last of us part 2 should be closer to 20M. There is no spin of any kind. Period

It isn't the same timeframe. God of War sold 20 million in 4 years. TLOU2 sold 10 million in 2 years. They're pretty much on par timewise.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
It isn't the same amount of time. God of War sold 20 million in 4 years. TLOU2 sold 10 million in 2 years.
Are we going to do this majority of videogame sales peaked and last about couple month after releases and decline massively after a year

Fine if you want to do this wel revisit tlou2 number 2 year latter see if it can match gow numbers

Last edited:

TheTony316

Are we going to do this majority of videogame sales peaked and last about couple month after releases and decline massively after a year

Fine if you want to do this wel revisit tlou2 number 2 year latter see if it can match gow numbers

Sure but it still isn't the same timeframe. And don't forget the PC version that added another 2 million for God Of War.

SLB1904

Banned
20mil between tlous and ghost.
Impressive
2 of my favourite games ever
Like kaz said
tumblr_mihkztVDCW1s5o3aso1_400.gif

Javthusiast

Banned
Ghost of Tsushima is the more successful game of the two:
-GoT had a far higher average selling price compared to TLOU II.
-GoT had an immensely lower head count (and hence, development budget) compared to TLOU II.
-GoT is a new IP, whereas TLOU II was a sequel to a +20 million seller.
-TLOU II is probably at about 10.5m as of now and it's likely reaching the product's EOL sooner rather than later (thanks to the already aggressive price reductions taking place), however, once GoT receives the same aggressive price promotions that TLOU II received, it will more than likely outsell TLOU II even on that (mostly useless) metric.
Cope harder. Embrace TloU2 as the generational masterpiece that it is.

Kabelly

That's not a fair comparison. TLOU1 took almost 10 years to reach 20 million. Part 2 did half of that in just 2 years with one SKU.
yea like, if TLOU2 comes to PC, I'll prpbably buy it again. I don't have a PS5 yet but with TLOU1 coming I'll hold onto that thread that TLOU2 will come eventually too. I've already played it so I'm in no rush.

edit: sorry off topic. I'm actually waiting for Ghost to come to PC as well. That's a game I haven't played yet and I'm hoping the leaks are true. That will be be another sale from me.

Last edited:
It isn't the same timeframe. God of War sold 20 million in 4 years. TLOU2 sold 10 million in 2 years. They're pretty much on par timewise.
I didn't said the "same timeframe" and is not 4 years either. I said roughly.

Again. TLoUPart 2 should be closer to 20M I am not saying should be 20M.

Woggleman

Very hot take and I am not saying GOT is not a great game but I wonder what the reception would be if TLOU2 never came out. Would GOT have become as beloved by a certain segment of the gaming world?

Bartski

Gold Member
Very hot take and I am not saying GOT is not a great game but I wonder what the reception would be if TLOU2 never came out. Would GOT have become as beloved by a certain segment of the gaming world?
imo the reception would have been even better, since TLOU2 set the bar so high for animation and character tech Ghost felt a generation behind in those areas when releasing shortly after

I certainly think these are good numbers? Hard to tell when Days Gone sold 8M? and was considered a dissapointment by Sony? Not sure on the 8M as i have seen 5.8M bandied around as well.
Sony better be happy with this, Sucker Punch are top teir and deserve keys to the money vault.
I got Days Gone for under 30 bucks within a month of release. First month sales are the most important. Thats when people get special editions, 80$ editions, etc.

While it was basically a stylish Ubisoft game it did a good job convincing me it wasn’t for a good chunk of the playtime. The copy paste content did get old eventually but I’m glad it sold well and would buy a sequel day one.

Dolodolo

Like i said if you want to go with the 'what if' scenario in the future for part II numbers just go ahead im not that interested

tlou part 2 actually released on ps4 in Feb 2020 when theres already plenty ps4 around in large quantity and now also available on ps5 so theres that
No. You're just a clown who conveniently removes the timeline to seem right, and when you get pressed, you start to write nonsense

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Well deserved, it was an awesome experience. I just wish it was more grounded in reality.

While it was basically a stylish Ubisoft game it did a good job convincing me it wasn’t for a good chunk of the playtime.

Sony is slowly perfecting formula that Ubisoft started. Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Forbidden West. I love open world games so I can't really complain.

Airbus Jr

Banned
No. You're just a clown who conveniently removes the timeline to seem right, and when you get pressed, you start to write nonsense
Sayin tlou1 sold +20 mill and tlou 2 +10mill ( which is a factual numbers)

Getting called clown

See whos the real clown now? Look at yourself in the mirror

Last edited:
Sayin tlou1 sold +20 mill and tlou 2 +10mill ( which is a factual numbers)

Getting called clown

See whos the real clown now? Look at yourself in the mirror
I think you avoiding all context and doubling down is where the thoughts of clowns comes from. The numbers are correct, but the time frame has to be considered or it's all irrelevant .

Airbus Jr

Banned
I think you avoiding all context and doubling down is where the thoughts of clowns comes from. The numbers are correct, but the time frame has to be considered or it's all irrelevant .
I dont avoid context

Most videogame peak sales are last for couple months after releases ( one year top) after that it decline rapidly

Using the 'wait for it til it reach 6 years like tlou 1' is a poor excuses but ok il do anyway lets wait and see if tlou 2 can reach another +10 mill to match tlou1 number they still got time until 2026

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Is the SEQUEL to one of the greatest games ever made.

God of War 2018 achieved ≈20 M in roughly the same amount of time.

The last of us part 2 should be closer to 20M. There is no spin of any kind. Period
Bundles help sales.

God of War had more than 10.

68796-07b6be9e-176b-42ef-bae4-596d77dde6d2-None.png
8119ztq2jcL._SL1500_.jpg

81lKyvW3AoL._SL1500_.jpg
81Iqc2Ek9CL._SX679_.jpg
208a176a1566fadda321142af45e39e7.jpg_360x360q75.jpg
D_NQ_NP_921167-MLA40186525887_122019-O.jpg
c5b007c05a87904836f959d2cc533ef6_tn.jpg
D32-2355-006_zoom1.jpg

These are 8 and there are more.

This is why you can't compare sales numbers.

I dont avoid context

Most videogame peak sales are last for couple months after releases ( one year top) after that it decline rapidly

Using the 'wait for it til it reach 6 years like tlou 1' is a poor excuses but ok il do anyway lets wait and see if tlou 2 can reach another +10 mill to match tlou1 number they still got time until 2026
TLOU didn't sell 20mil in a single year. It didn't do it in 2. Facts are in no way an excuse for reality, so you might wanna find a different avenue of attack and/or dismissal.

Airbus Jr

Banned
TLOU didn't sell 20mil in a single year. It didn't do it in 2. Facts are in no way an excuse for reality, so you might wanna find a different avenue of attack and/or dismissal.
So lets level the playing field. We wait until 2026 so we can get a fair comparison between tlou1 vs tlou 2 numbers ( see if it can catch another extra +10 million)

Last edited:
So lets level the playing field. We wait until 2026 so we can get a fair comparison between tlou1 vs tlou 2 numbers ( see if it can catch another extra +10 million)
Only seems right. The first game did have time on its side. You always also have the option of taking the sales and launch aligning them.

You mean the Alien Resurrection of the franchise.

Alien 3 Assembly Cut is decent. 👀
GyuexhS.gif

First off, Alien³ was a mess and a disappointment regardless of the cut played. Second, how this sequel is compared to a movie that barely had any idea what it was meant to be is ridiculous. TLOU2 knew what it was and it's intention, you not liking it changes none of that

Ulysses 31

GyuexhS.gif

First off, Alien³ was a mess and a disappointment regardless of the cut played. Second, how this sequel is compared to a movie that barely had any idea what it was meant to be is ridiculous. TLOU2 knew what it was and it's intention, you not liking it changes none of that
Of course, an awesome movie like Aliens is a very though act to follow up and and they do it by killing off most of the survivors and turning them into idiots who missed an alien egg planted in their ship.

But the assembly cut elevated the movie from trash to ok'ish IMO. 👀

Of course, an awesome movie like Aliens is a very though act to follow up and and they do it by killing off most of the survivors and turning them into idiots who missed an alien egg planted in their ship.

But the assembly cut elevated the movie from trash to ok'ish IMO. 👀
The assembly cut of the film did make it a bit better, but marginally better than bad is still bad as far as I'm concerned. Resurrection was at least fun in it's complete schlock.

Respectively I can only speak of both game curent number for what it is stated

If you want to go with the what if scenario go ahead
Your post came off as trying to downplay TLOU2 because it hasn't sold what the first one did while leaving out the fact that the first one was at 20 million after 6 years while TLOU2 has only been out two. You know what you were doing.

Again, part 2 should be closer to 20M. if you see the best performing PlayStation games....they are closer to 20M. Just look at God of War 2018.
It's amazing to me that people like you don't realize that a lot of people passed on TLOU2 because they were waiting for a PS5 version. The same goes for Ghost of Tsushima. This is also why Horizon Forbidden West isn't selling as fast as the first game when Forbidden West is on PS4 AND PS5 while the first game was on one platform. People are waiting to get their PS5 to buy the game. In both cases it doesn't mean that TLOU2 and Forbidden West are failures it just means there are other factors at play. God of War didn't release when a new console was about to release otherwise people would've held off on it too for a PS5 version.

I dont avoid context

You're one of those people who get proven wrong over and over and still refuse to aknowledge just how flawed your argument is. It's so laughable. TLOU did 20 million in 6 years after being on PS3, PS4, had multiplayer which the second didn't which takes away part of the an audience, and it was bundled with the PS3 and PS4 countless times. On the other hand, TLOU2 has done over 10 million in less than 2 years (it released in June 2020 and it passed 10 million earlier this year long before its 2 year anniversary) and it was only bundled with a PS4 for a limited edition that they didn't make many of. It was never bundled after that. Pretty clear that TLOU2 is doing very well in comparison. You try to bring your dumb argument into a room with professional sales people they would laugh you out of it and eat you alive.

Last edited:

SSfox

If they do a 2nd one i really hope it's gonna be good. It's not usually easy to keep with quality of a first astonoshing game in an new IP, hopefully SP can manage to keep up.

Bundles help sales.

God of War had more than 10.

68796-07b6be9e-176b-42ef-bae4-596d77dde6d2-None.png
8119ztq2jcL._SL1500_.jpg

81lKyvW3AoL._SL1500_.jpg
81Iqc2Ek9CL._SX679_.jpg
208a176a1566fadda321142af45e39e7.jpg_360x360q75.jpg
D_NQ_NP_921167-MLA40186525887_122019-O.jpg
c5b007c05a87904836f959d2cc533ef6_tn.jpg
D32-2355-006_zoom1.jpg

These are 8 and there are more.

This is why you can't compare sales numbers.
EXACTLY. Both GOW and TLOU were in so many bundles and that contributed to their sales numbers. Some of these were holiday bundles too so that means that was over 1 million additional copies of GOW or TLOU that were sold just during one holiday bundle. TLOU2 never had a bundle outside a LIMITED PS4 Pro that they barely made any of because it happened during COVID when they were stuggling with stock. So the fact that they did 10+ million in less than 2 years with really no bundles is even more impressive.

Last edited:
Loved the game...its a bit formulaic but the craft and care that went into the world building kept me playing. Feeling like a bad ass samurai during the duels was worth it. Want to go back but wont pay 20$ for 4k 60 support...still hate they did that.

Dolodolo

First:
Can you read?

Closer dosen't mean the same

Second:

A sequel of one of the best games.ever created.

Dude, this is not a branch of Tlou 2 and your gaming preferences. Let's create a separate thread where you tell how disappointing this project was for you, and what a fiasco it suffered financially, okay?

Spitfire098

First:
Can you read?

Closer dosen't mean the same

Second:

A sequel of one of the best games.ever created.
Hey you don't know how numbers work in relationship to time. It's okay, it is a difficult concept to grasp.

Lol imagine trying to compare the success of two different games, while using different timelines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom