• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies - 2 year anniversary stats

Bartski

Gold Member

UTbQS0X.jpg

VZKfg8e.jpg
jpkZvLh.jpg
E9uCemp.png

Last edited:
Including Directors Cut?

Thought it would be higher tbh with the two SKUs.

Good game not great imo.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

How was it half assed?

Slight bump in resolution and some better textures on a handful of objects (environment was completely untouched), 60fps was available on the PS4 version when playing on PS5. Falls way short of what say insomniac did for Spiderman. There were 3rd party games that did much more with FREE upgrades to current gen consoles (like Doom Eternal or Metro Exodus).

[Sigma]

Best game of the PS4 gen.
Id say it was my favorite singleplayer of last gen for sure. Multiplayer was a cool bonus but the singleplayer had me mesmerized/in awe. I loved the feeling I got playing it for so many hours. I had been waiting most of my life to play a game like that having been a fan of those old Japanese films when I was little.

I thought it was pretty cool to hear that the Japanese enjoyed it.

Haven’t played it yet but I heard they did a lot of work to make it as accurate as possible. Pretty sure they even funded a shrine in Japan.

Edit: My bad it was the fans of the game not the developers themselves.

As word of the fundraiser spread online, Ghost of Tsushima fans caught wind of the campaign began to offer their own donations toward the restoration project, with the crowdfunder closing out this past weekend at around ¥27 million, (or roughly $260,000 USD), five times that of the original goal. The founders of the project thanked the Ghost of Tsushimacommunity for its generosity, and noted that some of the campaign’s highest donors will be recorded on a nearby stone monument.

It’s still really cool though.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Another one of those games where you spend several dozens of hours. . .joyfully doing anything but the main plot. One day I'll just set aside any new game purchases and knock some of these massive "come in and get lost" games out.

Zones

I guess it didnt outsell TLOU2 after all. lol
Ghost of Tsushima is the more successful game of the two:
-GoT had a far higher average selling price compared to TLOU II.
-GoT had an immensely lower head count (and hence, development budget) compared to TLOU II.
-GoT is a new IP, whereas TLOU II was a sequel to a +20 million seller.
-TLOU II is probably at about 10.5m as of now and it's likely reaching the product's EOL sooner rather than later (thanks to the already aggressive price reductions taking place), however, once GoT receives the same aggressive price promotions that TLOU II received, it will more than likely outsell TLOU II even on that (mostly useless) metric.

Ghost of Tsushima is the more successful game of the two:
-GoT had a far higher average selling price compared to TLOU II.
-GoT had an immensely lower head count (and hence, development budget) compared to TLOU II.
-GoT is a new IP, whereas TLOU II was a sequel to a +20 million seller.
-TLOU II is probably at about 10.5m as of now and it's likely reaching the product's EOL sooner rather than later (thanks to the already aggressive price reductions taking place), however, once GoT receives the same aggressive price promotions that TLOU II received, it will more than likely outsell TLOU II even on that (mostly useless) metric.
My god... Tlou2 surpassed 10M "early this year" as Neil said. It never got a PS5 version. It never got an online multiplayer mode like Ghost of Tsushima and TLoU2 sold more than 4M on its first 3 days. That's close to 300M US dollars in sales. It sold much more at full price, with only one sku released.

Unlike TLoU, ghost of Tsushima had no foundations from a previous game as well. Tlou2 was already built from a previous game.

Just because a studio is smaller doesn't mean much btw. Ghost was in full production much longer than Tlou2.

freefornow

Gold Member
I certainly think these are good numbers? Hard to tell when Days Gone sold 8M? and was considered a dissapointment by Sony? Not sure on the 8M as i have seen 5.8M bandied around as well.
Sony better be happy with this, Sucker Punch are top teir and deserve keys to the money vault.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Fantastic game and pleased with the success. I played the original PS4 version on my PS5 and platinumed it. Didn't play the expansion or legends.

Top Bottom