• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies - 2 year anniversary stats

R6Rider

Gold Member
Bough a PS5 to play this. Played it for 2 hours then sold it alongsaide my PS5.
Vine Ok GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ghost of Tsushima is the more successful game of the two:
-GoT had a far higher average selling price compared to TLOU II.
-GoT had an immensely lower head count (and hence, development budget) compared to TLOU II.
-GoT is a new IP, whereas TLOU II was a sequel to a +20 million seller.
-TLOU II is probably at about 10.5m as of now and it's likely reaching the product's EOL sooner rather than later (thanks to the already aggressive price reductions taking place), however, once GoT receives the same aggressive price promotions that TLOU II received, it will more than likely outsell TLOU II even on that (mostly useless) metric.

I'm with you on everything except the last part.

I think that HBO show prevents Ghost of Tsushima from catching up.

MrA

You mean if GOW and TLOU2 didnt exist?
he means it's a better game than those two, and I agree plus the lead is a baller samurai vs anger management dad (Bandage got unraveled I"M SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!! wait no no I'm ok I'm ok I'm ok), and sociopath. Plus not being as good as Ghost of Tsushima doesn't mean bad

drotahorror

Wonder how many people made it to the third island? Hell I quit after only a little bit of time after making it to the second island. Maybe I should revisit it. I enjoyed my time but was burnt out after getting to the second area.

Maybe THIS will finally shut all the TLOU 2 haters up that kept insisting that Ghost outsold it. Ghost isn't even at 10 million and TLOU 2 passed 10 million earlier this year. I love both games but I've grown so annoyed at people telling me that I was wrong and that Ghost sold more when every single sales chart always showed TLOU2 was outperforming it. "Where are the numbers though" they said. Well now you have them.

squarealex

I mean...if anyone believed that they were delusional. And TLoU2 still didn't have the PS5 SKU released. It's the PS4 version only.

Also TLOUp2 is not sell with a bundle PS4 (like TLOU on PS3 AND PS4), much people forget it. And many users buyings TWICE TLOU

It's great for GOT but TLOUp2 can go highter.... with TLOUp1, HBO Series and of course PS5 versions.

Also TLOUp2 is not sell with a bundle PS4 (like TLOU on PS3 AND PS4), much people forget it. And many users buyings TWICE TLOU

It's great for GOT but TLOUp2 can go highter.... with TLOUp1, HBO Series and of course PS5 versions.
And the PC version which is no doubt in the plans too. I mean why only put TLOU on PC and not the second one right?

Spitfire098

-GoT had an immensely lower head count (and hence, development budget) compared to TLOU II.
-TLOU II is probably at about 10.5m as of now and it's likely reaching the product's EOL sooner rather than later (thanks to the already aggressive price reductions taking place), however, once GoT receives the same aggressive price promotions that TLOU II received, it will more than likely outsell TLOU II even on that (mostly useless) metric.
stop GIF

Lou2 haters are just a meme at this point.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut is often sold alongside the PS5 console and that would explain the boost in sales over the past 6 months despite not being high on the sales charts. The Last of Us Part I will probably not do huge numbers considering it's a remake of the original and I would bet you would see PS5 versions of The Last of Us Part I & II will be bundled together.

Miles708

I got this as a gift and got bored after 3 hours.
The gameplay is quite good but the structure is as by-the-numbers as it gets. The Ubisoft school of design strikes again. Too bad because it's a waste of potential for great visuals and atmosphere.
Sadly it's such a fundamental problem that a "bigger, better" sequel could probably not fix.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure Last of Us 2 had one.
Edit: Oh, it was a limited edition bundle.

Last edited:
I'm with you on everything except the last part.

I think that HBO show prevents Ghost of Tsushima from catching up.
Tlou2 keeps showing up on European charts every month. It was even the 20th best selling game of the month in April or May in Europe and ghost of Tsushima was nowhere to be seen for months even with a sku that wasn't even released a year ago. If anything we have no indication that Ghost of Tsushima sells more each month. It's the opposite.

Last edited:
On what? The wooden houses, grass, forest and dirt? Seems pointless as you wouldn't be able to see them for 95% of the game.
You make a good point, but like I said before, it would be cool to see reflections on your armor and sword. How ever small that may seem, it would still be a nice cool touch of detail to have in the next installment.

Last edited:
Tlou2 keeps showing up on European charts every month. It was even the 20th best selling game of the month in April or May in Europe and ghost of Tsushima was nowhere to be seen for months even with a sku that wasn't even released a year ago. If anything we have no indication that Ghost of Tsushima sells more each month. It's the opposite.
This is exactly what I was telling people on here for years now. I would keep seeing TLOU2 in the charts and not Ghost or TLOU2 was above it if they both were there. It made no sense how those people fooled themselves into thinking that Ghost was ahead of it in sales. Yet their response was always "you got actual numbers?" It was the dumbest thing as clearly I don't need actual numbers when one game is always showing up ahead of another in sales charts for two years.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I think they just announced TLoU2 numbers recently and it was at "over 10 million sold". Ghost of Tsushima nipping at the crown jewel Naughty Dogs heels suggests open world has distinct market advantages considering the context.

gow3isben

Wasn't last of us 2 crossing 10 million just a few months or so ago? Insane how this new IP matched one of the most hyped sequels of all time. It probably has far higher profit margins.

I think it was pretty mid to be honest but good for it.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

About what you would expect on average for assassin's creed japan, maybe a tad less.
Never understood these AC comparisons. Tenuously, at best.

Ubi packs their ACs with so much irrelevant filler garbage, simply to push players towards embracing monetization. They’re an absolute slog to wade through. Sure, GoT borrows from elements AC helped pioneer earlier on in the genre, but there’s really nothing wrong with that formula if it is done well, and GoT executes on it well. Its pacing is excellent and never feels superfluous, and the continuance of the story always feels to be the driving impetus. It’s what I feel the developers want me to pursue and experience, and I never need to grind to do so.

AC? Despite the surface similarities in structure, the feeling I get while playing ACs is not towards the conclusion of the creative endeavor, but instead an encouragement to embrace capitalistic enterprise at the expense of that endeavor. They feel fundamentally different.

Sleepwalker

This game is better than any AC game ever will be.

We'll agree to disagree on this.

Ubi packs their ACs with so much irrelevant filler garbage, simply to push players towards embracing monetization. They’re an absolute slog to wade through. Sure, GoT borrows from elements AC helped pioneer earlier on in the genre, but there’s really nothing wrong with that formula if it is done well, and GoT executes on it well. Its pacing is excellent and never feels superfluous, and the continuance of the story always feels to be the driving impetus. It’s what I feel the developers want me to pursue and experience, and I never need to grind to do so.

AC? Despite the surface similarities in structure, the feeling I get while playing ACs is not towards the conclusion of the creative endeavor, but instead an encouragement to embrace capitalistic enterprise at the expense of that endeavor. They feel fundamentally different.

It's really not that deep, imo. But to each their own, my one sentence comment was in jest anyway.

FWIW I enjoyed AC way more than I did GOT (Not Valhalla, I havent really played that one for long)

bender

What time is it?

Like a lot of open world games, GOT takes a lot of cues from Ubisoft's open world (Assassin's Creed being a prime example) design philosophies. While GOT had some creative ideas (haiku writing, hot spring reflections, duels, etc.), those content types are used and reused ad nauseum because designers think more content = better and are really afraid to let their open worlds breath.

I still remember when GOT was being previewed and they were demonstrating the wind blowing as the breadcrumb system in the game and then noted points of interest would have natural markers (smoke from a bonfire bellowing towards the sky) which left me thinking that's a really creative way to push people to your content without having an in game map littered with points of interest and no sooner than that thought crossed my mind that he demonstrator pulls up the in game map which of course had tons of points of interest.

I really just hate those design choices for several reasons. More content, especially when heavily repeated, has diminishing returns. GOT is probably a 30 hour game? And much longer if you do everything. I'd take 8-10 hours of unique content over a 30 hour experience that makes me revisit the concepts over and over again. Further, post people aren't going to finish your game and far, far fewer are going to look for everything. So why are designers so scared that people will miss content in their games? Why rob a player of that sense of exploration? That's the whole reason to have an open world in the first place. It would also lend it self to replays as a fresh playthrough could have unique experiences. In game maps, fast travel systems, breadcrumbs, waypoints and other handholding mechanisms, especially when they don't fit the time period or lore of a game just make me question why an open world was needed in the first place.

GOT isn't the biggest offender of these sins, that probably belongs to Skyrim. Hell, it's not even Sony's biggest offender of those sins. I made it through the first Island and did all the content on it so it held my attention longer than most open world games that are cut from the same cloth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom