• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies - 2 year anniversary stats

Bragr

Banned
I can use this data because people are comparing The Last of Us Part II sales to Uncharted 4, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War.

If people are going to compare the number of copies sold, then they have to look at the data behind it.

And yes, we don't know how many people wanted the game versus just wanting the console, but the bundle was still forced in many regions.

If Sony releases The Last of Us Part II Director's Cut and it's bundled with PS5 consoles, you're no doubt going to see people trying to downplay it by mentioning bundles.
TLOU 2 is comparable to Tsushima and Days Gone, but Uncharted 4, Horizon, and even God of War were from a different time when PS4 sold in bigger volumes and likely drew considerable bigger bundle sales. It's too many factors to draw useable comparisons.

Even if Tsushima and Days Gone sold 3-4 million from bundles alone, and without bundles would sit at 6-7, it's still in the ballpark of TLOU 2.

We are talking about the first game being one of the all-time best games, that Sony has been promoting ever since as a Sony top-tier experience. It's a massive blockbuster with top-tier production values and it was promoted everywhere. You couldn't promote it more if you wanted. It must have sold 5-7 million within 2020, and then 3-4 or so million over the next 18 months? it's bizarre, why aren't people buying this when they get a PS5? why did it slow down so much on the PS4? again, 10 million is a big deal, but it's on the level of Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch, which is sitting at around 7 million after 7-8 months. It's like Luigi's Mansion 3 sort of sales.

Airbus Jr

Banned
That airbus guy is a dumbass. A troll who says the dumbest stuff just to get a reaction. Comparing TLOU to Spider-Man now when Spider-Man as a name is on a whole other level.
Ha, easy for you to say this now when the numbers are out, stating the obvious

You keep attacking everyone and yet you keep become the laughing stock

Do you think having big IP is a guarantee sucess?

Let me ask you how does the Square Enix Avengers game doing?

Thats right i got your mouth shut again

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I thought bundles don't matter though?

It sounds like we just have a difference of opinion in whether it just underperformed or whether it vastly underperformed. It certaintly didn't live up to Naughty Dog's expectations.

You can look at sales on Uncharted 1 (a new IP) vs Uncharted 2 as a good comparison to tlou1 vs 2. Uncharted 1, per google, did 4m+. Uncharted 2 did 7m+. Big jump in sales. Not what we saw with tlou. Gotta be a disappointment for ND. And the budget on tlou2 was significantly higher than the first game.

Or maybe tlou1 was just lightning in a bottle and that's why ND is making a remake so soon after it released.

When did I say bundles don't matter? We don't know what Naughty Dog's expectations were.

Uncharted 2 is also considered to be the best Uncharted game ever made and a major upgrade all around from the first Uncharted. TLOU 2 is definitely more controversial, but it was also highly praised by critics.

That airbus guy is a dumbass. A troll who says the dumbest stuff just to get a reaction. Comparing TLOU to Spider-Man now when Spider-Man as a name is on a whole other level.

Nah....dude. Just a difference of opinion. Airbus Jr Airbus Jr is a good guy. We don't need to be insulting folks over video games.

Ulysses 31

The first game doesn't hold up well compared to TLOU2 so they want people who are coming in new to be able to enjoy the best possible version of that game. That's all there is to it.
I'm assuming you're talking graphically because otherwise

2GY.gif

And the remastered GFX are still serviceable enough IMO.

DeepSpace5D

I dont know the precise details but whatever it is that is a huge achievement and catapult insomniac into new stratosphere, no insomniac game can even get close to that number before
No doubt, Insomniac is killing it.

Im not buthurt at all. The only one who buthurt ( judging by the way they type) is you.

Btw your obsession with the 'wait until x game hit 6 year' is weird man. Spiderman is sitting at +33m and it doesnt need the "wait until it hit 6 year' excuses like tlou2 does

But it seems unfair to say this regarding TLoU II when the comparison is against the combined sales of more than one Spiderman game.

Last edited:
People in here arguing over bundles. You ever stop ask why Sony didn't bundle TLOU2 more? They do it with all of their big games, as do MS and Nintendo. Why not their "flagship" sequel to one of their biggest hits on PS3? Probably because they know it was a divisive game and it's much easier to push their system with more widely liked titles.
More like stock for the PS4 was at an all time low in 2020 and they stopped doing bundles for pretty much all hardware.

Ulysses 31

Uh no I'm talking about controls. Anyone who plays TLOU and TLOU2 can tell that the first game controls like shit compared to the second.
Almost seemed like you were talking about the story telling as well because the graphical presentation is a lot more dated.

It's been a while since I played TLOU1 & 2 but 2 wasn't that much improved IMHO. The weapon aim sway was a constant nuisance till you could almost upgrade it away.
TLOU remake is more than just a graphical upgrade.
I was talking about TLOU(R) vs TLOU2. Seemed like he was saying part 1's GFX are too ugly these days making the story worse too.

Almost seemed like you were talking about the story telling as well because the graphical presentation is a lot more dated.

It's been a while since I played TLOU1 & 2 but 2 wasn't that much improved IMHO. The weapon aim sway was a constant nuisance till you could almost upgrade it away.

I was talking about TLOU(R) vs TLOU2. Seemed like he was saying part 1's GFX are too ugly these days making the story worse too.
I liked the story in both. My comment was more that the graphics and controls are very outdated when compared the TLOU2. TLOU2 is one of the best controlling third person games there is alongside MGS5. The difference between the first and second is much bigger than you are giving it credit for. Plus they are updating AI and possibly more that we haven't seen yet.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nah he continues to make idiotic statements and tries to put words in people's mouth. Not a good guy at all. All because he is butt hurt over a game not going the way he wanted
theres nothing idiotic for stating statistical fact. Im not buthurt over a game not going the way i wanted but at certain point you do have to question about the writing/the story behind tlou2

abby : hey remember that one random npc you kill during ellie surgery? thats my dad and now im out for a revenge mission

that was like the cheapest and poorest one i ve ever seen in videogame storyline. lazy af and zero creativity.

imagine if Tod Howard making TES VI and making the story plot of the main villain are based on that one draugr or stormcloak soldier you killed in skyrim dungeons/city which turns out to be his/her relatives

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
theres nothing idiotic for stating statistical fact. Im not buthurt over a game not going the way i wanted but at certain point you do have to question about the writing/the story behind tlou2

abby : hey remember that one random npc you kill during ellie surgery? thats my dad and now im out for a revenge mission

that was like the cheapest and poorest one i ve ever seen in videogame storyline. lazy af and zero creativity.

imagine if Tod Howard making TES VI and making the story plot of the main villain are based on that one draugr or stormcloak soldier you killed in skyrim dungeons/city which turns out to be his/her relatives

Sucks you didn't like the story, but generally it was extremely well-received by critics and fans alike. Personally, I thought the revenge angle made perfect sense.

Sucks you didn't like the story, but generally it was extremely well-received by critics and fans alike. Personally, I thought the revenge angle made perfect sense.
Yep over 300 GOTY awards from both critics and players, more than any other game ever. If someone doesn't like it that's their opinion but airbus talks as if it's an objective fact that the story was terrible. For someone who calls it bad and lazy writing I'd like to see him come up with something better.

ps5 is cool. you should get one

PC is a really weird spot for me now. Either I upgrade or build a PC thst surpasses PS5 specs or I buy the PS5 version. At the moment PC GPUs are still really expensive and if I want to upgrade my PC I would have to change other components as well.

I’m sure this doesn’t apply to everyone but it’s still something to think about.

SLB1904

Banned
PC is a really weird spot for me now. Either I upgrade or build a PC thst surpasses PS5 specs or I buy the PS5 version. At the moment PC GPUs are still really expensive and if I want to upgrade my PC I would have to change other components as well.

I’m sure this doesn’t apply to everyone but it’s still something to think about.
i bought my pc in 2018 with 2070rtx bare in mind wasnt the top graphic card at the time, and still going strong till this day. next time i will just buy a new one. really worth the money

i bought my pc in 2018 with 2070rtx bare in mind wasnt the top graphic card at the time, and still going strong till this day. next time i will just buy a new one. really worth the money

Mine has a 1070Ti so im just waiting for the 4000 series to come out so the 3070 will drop in price. That would be a worthy upgrade IMO.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU 2 is comparable to Tsushima and Days Gone, but Uncharted 4, Horizon, and even God of War were from a different time when PS4 sold in bigger volumes and likely drew considerable bigger bundle sales. It's too many factors to draw useable comparisons.

Even if Tsushima and Days Gone sold 3-4 million from bundles alone, and without bundles would sit at 6-7, it's still in the ballpark of TLOU 2.

We are talking about the first game being one of the all-time best games, that Sony has been promoting ever since as a Sony top-tier experience. It's a massive blockbuster with top-tier production values and it was promoted everywhere. You couldn't promote it more if you wanted. It must have sold 5-7 million within 2020, and then 3-4 or so million over the next 18 months? it's bizarre, why aren't people buying this when they get a PS5? why did it slow down so much on the PS4? again, 10 million is a big deal, but it's on the level of Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch, which is sitting at around 7 million after 7-8 months. It's like Luigi's Mansion 3 sort of sales.

Horizon Zero Dawn sold 7.8 million and around 8 million for Ghost of Tsushima within the first year, a new IP, close to God of War that sold 10 million in 13 months. Your argument is that since it was more popular it should have sold more. People often use weird standards for TLOU that don't apply to any other game.

Bragr

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn sold 7.8 million and around 8 million for Ghost of Tsushima within the first year, a new IP, close to God of War that sold 10 million in 13 months. Your argument is that since it was more popular it should have sold more. People often use weird standards for TLOU that don't apply to any other game.
What is your point? that TLOU 2 underperformed in the first year?

It should sell more than new IPs. It's the sequel to a legendary game, with the hype and marketing around it, it should be a bigger game than it is.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What is your point? that TLOU 2 underperformed in the first year?

It should sell more than new IPs. It's the sequel to a legendary game, with the hype and marketing around it, it should be a bigger game than it is.
We can't discuss this game anymore in this thread as stated by the mod.

Your logic doesn't hold up, so I would suggest looking up more video game sales going forward.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sony straight suffering from success again.

All over social media and discussion forums, every day and every night, people are angrily comparing Sony exclusive sales numbers - what they really mean, which franchises are actually "good", pondering whether or not they made enough money to be successful, so on, and so forth.

Meanwhile the Sony PlayStation execs and the developers in their studios silently stand apart, cheerfully witnessing the mob, cashing their bonuses like:
s438wjh.gif

VinnyMac

Game is literally boring asf. I'm still trying to push through but my God I thought I'd like it alot more then I have. Infamous was so good especially in the climbing and in this game its terrible. I won't say it's a bad game but it's definitely a very bland open world game.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Now that I've played this, wondering how is Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice in comparison? (No spoilers please)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Days Gone sold 9 million copies and was considered such a failure for Sony that they didn't green-lit a sequel :D
Oversaturated sub genre/market and internal competition vs new take on a still expanding genre… 🤔. Keep on hating, we keep on enjoying both games :p.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Game is literally boring asf. I'm still trying to push through but my God I thought I'd like it alot more then I have. Infamous was so good especially in the climbing and in this game its terrible. I won't say it's a bad game but it's definitely a very bland open world game.
I like Infamous a lot, but being a bit open to the lore and trying to immerse oneself in the character’s world and motivation helped me a lot. It is one of my favourite open world games so far.

Hurr durr TLOU 2 sold more - yass queen. Classic thread responses - its almost as if the *Imagine my shock* that a game from an established franchise from a top tier developer was always going to sell more (despite the game being fucking crap)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I am in a not too dissimilar position, with work and all for me an iOS and macOS household makes the most sense. Especially with an iCloud Family Sharing setup. Getting closer and closer to a single unified setup for me to know and maintain.

Problem with the recent M1 transition, well even before hehe, is that gaming is not and was not the highest priority. Although, to be fair, now that Metal is growing in capabilities and the same exact GPU and CPU optimisations will pay off on billion of devices (Mac, iPhone, and iPad), engines such as Unity and Unreal Engine as well as closed source ones such as Frostbite and RE from Capcom will have good enough Mac support to allow for games to reach the Mac more…

Since I also like portables and do not really want another large box in the living room (I know myself, if I do a PC build I want something like a ThreadRipper and the beastliest GPU out at the moment… PSU alone would take quite a bit of space and so would the cooling) I think my PC gaming desires may move to something like Steam Deck if the preorder is ever confirmed 😂. Then Steam Deck 2… both with the money it would cost me to do a PC build.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Meanwhile the Sony PlayStation execs and the developers in their studios silently stand apart, cheerfully witnessing the mob, cashing their bonuses like:

Actually, those said exec are openly saying their games are becoming unsustainable, even after bunping up the prices to 70$ and re-releases like DC editions. Hence the the shift to GaaS games and Bungie acquisition.

Kumomeme

It's the one game I am yet to play.... it just looks like boring ass standard open world game.
I am sure it will be fun when I finally get it but any gameplay I look at, depicts 2 people stiffly talking to each other in flat lighting night
i get your concern. im used to worried that the game gonna be like another assasins creed. i worried it would be another boring bland open world. i also worried that it might gonna have lack of weight and responsiveness combat. i been carefull not to get fooled by the game hype. i even play the game few months after release once the hype go down.

but it suprised me once i played the game. it is nothing like assasins creed. the world is pretty, there tons of beautiful landscape. definitely not bland and the combat is fun. it still has it issue ofcourse, lot of stuff can be improved and fix but compared to those boring bland open world especially assasins creed franchise, this one definitely feels that the devs have poured tons of love and care for the game. it definitely has 'soul'.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Actually, those said exec are openly saying their games are becoming unsustainable, even after bunping up the prices to 70$ and re-releases like DC editions. Hence the the shift to GaaS games and Bungie acquisition.

Do you have any examples?

Sony is still doing what they always do. They're still the largest game company around by doing what they always do.

Don't just make things up. Give actual examples.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Days Gone sold 9 million copies and was considered such a failure for Sony that they didn't green-lit a sequel :D
8+1 is nine. More as the below mentions 1+. Unless you have better source of information than the director of Days Gone

He said on a podcast that he got his numbers from a player stat, which means he was wrong.

Also, Jason Schreier reported that a sequel didn't happen because of its lengthy development and mixed reception, not because of the sales numbers.

ZywyPL

Banned
Do you have any examples?

Sony is still doing what they always do. They're still the largest game company around by doing what they always do.

Don't just make things up. Give actual examples.

You're long enough here on Gaf to saw all the threads about Jim Ryan's interviews, sorry but I'm not going to go back and look for those interviews for you. But honestly, you think they have raised the price because of what? They started porting their games to PC because of what? DC editions? Remasters? They want, need to squeeze as much from their games as possible because selling them just once and on PS only is barely profitable, if at all, Days Gone geing the best example here.

All in all, their financial reports are all you need really, while 25B revenue is impressive, when you look at how much of that money actually goes back to Sony's pocket, not so muchvanymore. And how much of that money if from their own games, rather than PS+ subscriptions and loyalty cuts from 3rd party sales/DLC/MTX. Their games are a drip in the ocean and serve more of a brand marketing than anything else. And that's why there's gonna be more PC ports, more subscription services, and more GaaS. Because that's where the money lies.

John Wick

Again, we don't know what it cost to develop and market the game which had delays. I'll gladly assume it wasn't a financial flop, but that's a far cray from it being a smash hit that exceeded all sales expectations.
Clearly the game cost the same as GTA5. It was a massive flop. End of story

Top Bottom