• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies - 2 year anniversary stats

First:
Can you read?

Closer dosen't mean the same

Second:

A sequel of one of the best games.ever created.
AGAIN you are leaving out key facts. First of all, everyone that buys the first game is never going to buy the second as well. That's just how things work. There is always dropoff whether they liked the game or not. Second: Millions of copies of TLOU 1 were sold in PS4 and PS3 bundles which means those people might not have even played or liked the game, they just bought the bundle because it was a good price and it likely came with multiple games. Third: A lot of people played the first game for the multiplayer which the second game didn't have so those people likely passed on TLOU2. Plus you have the time span difference. Fact is TLOU1 didn't sell 10 million copies in less than 2 years like the second game did. It took 5 years for it to reach 17 million across two different platforms. TLOU2 is already over halfway to 17 million in less than half the time and it's only on 1 platform. Idk where you get off assuming that the TLOU2 should be close to 20M otherwise it's a failure. So silly

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
EXACTLY. Both GOW and TLOU were in so many bundles and that contributed to their sales numbers. Some of these were holiday bundles too so that means that was over 1 million additional copies of GOW or TLOU that were sold just during one holiday bundle. TLOU2 never had a bundle outside a LIMITED PS4 Pro that they barely made any of because it happened during COVID when they were stuggling with stock. So the fact that they did 10+ million in less than 2 years with really no bundles is even more impressive.
They also ignore the fact that The Last of Us Part II was at the end of the PS4 lifecycle, so they couldn't bundle it like their other major exclusives.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They also ignore the fact that The Last of Us Part II was at the end of the PS4 lifecycle, so they couldn't bundle it like their other major exclusives.
Tlou1 are also at the end of ps3 lifecycle

Respectively tlou2 even have bigger base compared to tlou1 during each time ( tlou1 ps3 +80 m vs tlou 2 ps4 +110m)

Team golf club aby tlou2 running out of excuses :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Oh and about tlou2 never get bundle really a quick look proves you wrong

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Respectively tlou2 even have bigger base compared to tlou1 during each time ( tlou1 ps3 +80 m vs tlou 2 ps4 +110m)

picard-facepalm.jpg

You're actually serious.

How did it have a bigger install base when TLOU 1 was also released on the PS4?

You're telling me it sold 20 million copies on the PS3?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I never said it wasn't bundled. I said it wasn't bundled LIKE their other major releases. Everyone knows they released LE bundle.

I can find 20 different TLOU 1 bundles. Can you do the same for TLOU 2?

AGAIN you are leaving out key facts. First of all, everyone that buys the first game is never going to buy the second as well. That's just how things work. There is always dropoff whether they liked the game or not.
Sequels are expected to do better.

Second: Millions of copies of TLOU 1 were sold in PS4 and PS3 bundles which means those people might not have even played or liked the game, they just bought the bundle because it was a good price and it likely came with multiple games.
This is a spin.

Third: A lot of people played the first game for the multiplayer which the second game didn't have so those people likely passed on TLOU2.
Spin.

Plus you have the time span difference.
This makes my point stronger.

Fact is TLOU1 didn't sell 10 million copies in less as 2 years like the second game did. It took 5 years for it to reach 17 million across two different platforms.
Again. You a treating The last of Us as just another game. As I said many times. The Last of Us is one of the best games ever made, it had almost 10 years to make the IP stronger (which it did)/ people attached to it. And Is regarded as a masterpiece.

When you see the jump/increase on sales between sequels you will get my point (specially Sony titles -PS4 -experienced and unprecedented increase in sales in comparison with other PlayStation generations -PS3-)

Uncharted 3 reached 6.6 M roughly in 3 years.
Uncharted 4 reached 15 M roughly in 3 years

Another example.

GoW 3. Reached 5.2 M roughly in 3 years .
Ascension was a flop. And the IP went dormant.
GoW 2018 reached 19.5 M roughly in 3 years.

The last of us:

Roughly one year after it released the game had reached 7 M on PS3 and 1 M on PS4.

8 M on more ot less one year. So....it was fucking huge.

So...is not crazy at all for The Last of us Part 2 to be closer to 20M. In a span of 2 years.

TLOU2 is already over halfway to 17 million in less than half the time and it's only on 1 platform. Idk where you get off assuming that the TLOU2 should be close to 20M otherwise it's a failure. So silly
did I say failure?
Underperforming ≠ as a failure.

Bragr

Banned
AGAIN you are leaving out key facts. First of all, everyone that buys the first game is never going to buy the second as well. That's just how things work. There is always dropoff whether they liked the game or not. Second: Millions of copies of TLOU 1 were sold in PS4 and PS3 bundles which means those people might not have even played or liked the game, they just bought the bundle because it was a good price and it likely came with multiple games. Third: A lot of people played the first game for the multiplayer which the second game didn't have so those people likely passed on TLOU2. Plus you have the time span difference. Fact is TLOU1 didn't sell 10 million copies in less than 2 years like the second game did. It took 5 years for it to reach 17 million across two different platforms. TLOU2 is already over halfway to 17 million in less than half the time and it's only on 1 platform. Idk where you get off assuming that the TLOU2 should be close to 20M otherwise it's a failure. So silly
Nah, TLOU 2 was the flagship for the PS4, massive budget, and massive marketing. It should be at least 15 million at this point. You just can't sugar coat that the TLOU 2 didn't live up to sales expectations.

PanzerAzel

Like a lot of open world games, GOT takes a lot of cues from Ubisoft's open world (Assassin's Creed being a prime example) design philosophies. While GOT had some creative ideas (haiku writing, hot spring reflections, duels, etc.), those content types are used and reused ad nauseum because designers think more content = better and are really afraid to let their open worlds breath.

I still remember when GOT was being previewed and they were demonstrating the wind blowing as the breadcrumb system in the game and then noted points of interest would have natural markers (smoke from a bonfire bellowing towards the sky) which left me thinking that's a really creative way to push people to your content without having an in game map littered with points of interest and no sooner than that thought crossed my mind that he demonstrator pulls up the in game map which of course had tons of points of interest.

I really just hate those design choices for several reasons. More content, especially when heavily repeated, has diminishing returns. GOT is probably a 30 hour game? And much longer if you do everything. I'd take 8-10 hours of unique content over a 30 hour experience that makes me revisit the concepts over and over again. Further, post people aren't going to finish your game and far, far fewer are going to look for everything. So why are designers so scared that people will miss content in their games? Why rob a player of that sense of exploration? That's the whole reason to have an open world in the first place. It would also lend it self to replays as a fresh playthrough could have unique experiences. In game maps, fast travel systems, breadcrumbs, waypoints and other handholding mechanisms, especially when they don't fit the time period or lore of a game just make me question why an open world was needed in the first place.

GOT isn't the biggest offender of these sins, that probably belongs to Skyrim. Hell, it's not even Sony's biggest offender of those sins. I made it through the first Island and did all the content on it so it held my attention longer than most open world games that are cut from the same cloth.
Tbh, I'm an absolute sucker for the source material, and GoT is my wet dream Kurosawa experience I've always wanted in gaming, so it's easier to pass over me antiquated and antithetical game designs not conducive to an open-world construct.

I do find the Guiding Wind a brilliant mechanic, and largely underappreciated in what it brings to navigation in open-world games. It's not a hard eyesore UI marker on the screen directing you in a straight line, it's not ugly, it's a gentle suggestion in the general direction that subtly suggests your objective very organically and unobtrusively. It encourages indirect exploration and adds to the aesthetic and movement of the world while being functional. In fact, I found the marginalization of the UI a massive step in the right direction overall. Yes, they have a map available similar to exactly what you detest, and I'm in agreement. What would have been better was if Jin had some sort of ancient paper and ink from the get-go he could pull up and mark instances he ran into (and fill in the map) while following the general direction of the wind and from objective he would hear about from people.

As for the extra content that players do ad nauseam, not sure I agree it's done solely because designers believe more content=better, but because they need to implement a system that upgrades the player towards further progression and escalation in game systems and difficulty while also maintaining familiarity to players towards that objective. Baths=increasing life bar. Fox=more charms. Bamboo=increased resolve. Haiku=headbands. Duals? That's an optional side quest. And even then, you can forgo these things, but it will make the game harder.

I also find the combat in GoT incredibly enjoyable and a very solid central gameplay loop, so enjoyable in fact that it outweighs the tedium of elements that quickly grow tiresome and feel artificial and counter to the world they have created. But that's just me, I can understand how some don't care for it all that much.

Last edited:
I had a great time with the game. Still one of the best looking games I've ever played, art style was 🤌

I wonder what their expectations were for sales, it seems like they exceeded whatever expectations that were set.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Tbh, I'm an absolute sucker for the source material, and GoT is my wet dream Kurosawa experience I've always wanted in gaming, so it's easier to pass over me antiquated and antithetical game designs not conducive to an open-world construct.

100% with you. The world is a visual treat and easy to describe as lush.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
When you see the jump/increase on sales between sequels you will get my point (specially Sony titles -PS4 -experienced and unprecedented increase in sales in comparison with other PlayStation generations -PS3-)

We keep telling you games like Uncharted 4 were bundled.

September 2016 - Uncharted 4 Bundle was announced.

NPD 2016 September
Only one SKU launched: PS4 Slim 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, and for the month it was the third best-selling hardware SKU

NPD 2016 October
The PS4 Slim 500 GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End bundle was the month’s best-selling hardware across the category, accounting for 17 percent of total hardware units sold in the month

NPD 2016 November
“The PlayStation 4 was the top-selling hardware system in the month, driven by the PS4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Bundle,” said Naji. “This SKU accounted for 30 percent of all hardware units sold.

NPD 2016 December
The PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console of the month, with the PlayStation 4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Bundle performing the best.

Naughty Dog announces 8.7 million copies sold as of December 21st

It didn't stop there.

NPD 2017 January
“The PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017,” said Naji. “And for the fourth consecutive month, PlayStation 4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Bundle was the top-selling PS4 sku in terms of units sold.
Why do you continue to ignore this?

NPD 2017 February
“The PlayStation 4 was the top-selling hardware system in the month,” said Piscatella. “And for the fifth month running, the PlayStation 4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Bundle was the month’s top selling console.”

We keep telling you games like Uncharted 4 were bundled.

September 2016 - Uncharted 4 Bundle was announced.

NPD 2016 September

NPD 2016 October

NPD 2016 November

NPD 2016 December

Naughty Dog announces 8.7 million copies sold as of December 21st

It didn't stop there.

NPD 2017 January

NPD 2017 February
Spin. We are not talking about this.

You clearly don't know how to read but we already see how smart you are. TLOU2 had a PS4 Pro bundle that they barely made any of. Not the same at all when compared to the 10+ bundles someone else listed that came with GOW and TLOU1 that helped sell millions of extra copies of those games. Please keep acting ignorant though. Every one here can see how dumb you are.

Nah, TLOU 2 was the flagship for the PS4, massive budget, and massive marketing. It should be at least 15 million at this point. You just can't sugar coat that the TLOU 2 didn't live up to sales expectations.
Didn't live up to expectations according to who? I didn't realize you worked for PlayStation..oh right you don't so. TLOU2 sold 10 million in less than 2 years. If Sony was happy with the performance of Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, God of War, etc then they are very happy with 10+ million in less than 2 years. Again, that is much faster than TLOU1 sold. Especially when 4+ million of them came at full price in the first 3 days on sale. That alone probably made their money back. If Sony wasn't happy with it they wouldn't be letting Naughty Dog expand their studio to multiple teams and games either. They would be left in a state like Bend Studio is after Sony was disappointed with Days Gone.

Sequels are expected to do better.

This is a spin.

Spin.

This makes my point stronger.

Again. You a treating The last of Us as just another game. As I said many times. The Last of Us is one of the best games ever made, it had almost 10 years to make the IP stronger (which it did)/ people attached to it. And Is regarded as a masterpiece.

Uncharted 3 reached 6.6 M roughly in 3 years.
Uncharted 4 reached 15 M roughly in 3 years

Another example.

GoW 3. Reached 5.2 M roughly in 3 years .
Ascension was a flop. And the IP went dormant.
GoW 2018 reached 19.5 M roughly in 3 years.

The last of us:

Roughly one year after it released the game had reached 7 M on PS3 and 1 M on PS4.

8 M on more ot less one year. So....it was fucking huge.

So...is not crazy at all for The Last of us Part 2 to be closer to 20M. In a span of 2 years.

did I say failure?
Underperforming ≠ as a failure.
Sequels are expected to do better you say? Hmmm It's almost like that's exactly what happened. 10+ million in less than 2 years is much faster than TLOU1 sold. 4+ million in the first 3 days is not only faster than TLOU (BY A HUGE AMOUNT) but higher than ANY PlayStation game ever. I get that facts are hard for you to grasp though and all you can do is make up in your feeble little mind that the game underperformed when no one from Sony ever said that. You don't speak for them. In fact, if anyone that does work for them heard your lame argument they would laugh you out of the room.

I also like how you classify bundles and multiplayer as "spin" when they are simple facts of the matter. You are using TLOU1's sales numbers as your basis for calling TLOU2 underperforming yet when we point out that millions of those copies of TLOU that were sold may not have even been played or enjoyed you call it "spin." People didn't buy those bundles because they wanted TLOU. They bought them because they were a $199 or $249 Holiday special and it was the best way to get a PS4. I know 3 people personally that bought one of those bundles and traded in TLOU without playing it because all they wanted the console for was to play GTA5 and NBA 2K. Again, facts are hard for you I guess. Go get educated

Last edited:
Software unit sales include PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 software, and have been re-classified from figures previously disclosed at Q4 FY20 earnings announcement to include software bundled with PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®VR in all regions
Then it should be the same numbers I used. Extracted from the same place and reporterd by the media.

Because they line up.
2016 8.7 M

4rYy9Fw.jpg

So.if this true I dunno what are you trying to say. Because at the end of they day we are talking about copies sold. And further more, I am talking about roughly a similar span of time between examples.

Sequels are expected to do better you say? Hmmm It's almost like that's exactly what happened. 10+ million in less than 2 years is much faster than TLOU1 sold. 4+ million in the first 3 days is not only faster than TLOU (BY A HUGE AMOUNT) but higher than ANY PlayStation game ever. I get that facts are hard for you to grasp though and all you can do is make up in your feeble little mind that the game underperformed when no one from Sony ever said that. You don't speak for them. In fact, if anyone that does work for them heard your lame argument they would laugh you out of the room.
You conveniently ignore the data

TLoU 1 ≈ 8 millions in one year.

TLoU 2 ≈ 10 million in two year....Yikes. An even more yikes when this number is roughly the same as a brand new IP (Ghost).

Part 2 should be closer to 20M.

Just as Uncharted 4 ot God of war 2018 were. PERIOD.

I also like how you classify bundles and multiplayer as "spin" when they are simple facts of the matter. You are using TLOU1's sales numbers as your basis for calling TLOU2 underperforming yet when we point out that millions of those copies of TLOU that were sold may not have even been played or enjoyed you call it "spin." People didn't buy those bundles because they wanted TLOU. They bought them because they were a $199 or $249 Holiday special and it was the best way to get a PS4. I know 3 people personally that bought one of those bundles and traded in TLOU without playing it because all they wanted the console for was to play GTA5 and NBA 2K. Again, facts are hard for you I guess. Go get educated
HchXUpE.gif

Spin harder.

TLoU 2 ≈ 10 million in two year....Yikes. An even more yikes when this number is roughly the same as a brand new IP (Ghost).

The only one ignoring data here is you plus your inventing data. So again let me set you straight even though it's a waste of time as you'll ignore it like you did all the other facts. TLOU had a much SMALLER opening than TLOU2. It didn't sell anywhere near 4+ million in the first 3 days. It didn't even do 2.5 million. Also count in the fact that it was then discounted standalone in that first year and it was included with $199 PS3 bundles during that first year which helped it reach 7 million by the time it was a year old. Not sure where you get 8 million from but it wasn't at no 8 million by June 2014. The first game then got a boost in sales again as not only did it get an expansion but it released on a new platform, a platform that a LOT of previous Xbox only owners picked up who didn't own a PS3. TLOU2 has only released on one platform and a lot of people said they were waiting until a PS5 version came out. Guess what? That still hasn't happened.

I'm also tired of you bringing up UC4 and God of War that were bundled with PS4s to hell for YEARS. TLOU2 didn't have bundles except for 1 very LIMITED one at launch that sold out fast due to stock issues. If you think it had other bundles then why don't you prove that. UC4 had a bundle for the entire duration of 2016 plus was in countless others just like God of War. Take those bundled copies away and both of those games would've sold millions less.

DeepSpace5D

HchXUpE.gif

Spin harder.
A more accurate number for TLoU 1 would be 7 million at the 13 month mark. That’s what Naughty Dog reported in July of 2014, and TLoU released in June 2013.
Might seem like splitting hairs but it’s the most accurate figure coming directly from Naughty Dog.

That also coincidentally was the month that TLoU Remastered was released on the PS4 and pushed the lifetime sales way beyond what it would have done had it just stayed on the PS3.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Then it should be the same numbers I used. Extracted from the same place and reporterd by the media.

Because they line up.
2016 8.7 M

So.if this true I dunno what are you trying to say. Because at the end of they day we are talking about copies sold. And further more, I am talking about roughly a similar span of time between examples.

You're comparing figures when other games had multiple bundles.

OqYwrFd.png

That's 11 bundles for God of War.

EIshQ-RU0AU2u2m

Playstation-holiday-deals-1280x720.jpg

WCCFplaystationblackfriday.jpg

Walmart-Black-Friday-2019-Playstation-4.png

God of War is not reaching 10 million or 19.5 million copies within that time frame without it.

The only spin going on here is people who look at this and say it doesn't matter.

Bragr

Banned
Didn't live up to expectations according to who? I didn't realize you worked for PlayStation..oh right you don't so. TLOU2 sold 10 million in less than 2 years. If Sony was happy with the performance of Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, God of War, etc then they are very happy with 10+ million in less than 2 years. Again, that is much faster than TLOU1 sold. Especially when 4+ million of them came at full price in the first 3 days on sale. That alone probably made their money back. If Sony wasn't happy with it they wouldn't be letting Naughty Dog expand their studio to multiple teams and games either. They would be left in a state like Bend Studio is after Sony was disappointed with Days Gone.
It's not like they are disappointed, but the TLOU franchise is considerably bigger than Tsushima or Horizon in terms of prestige and legacy. I think most expected something akin to God of War sales. The first TLOU was such a hit critically and eventually (after the PS4 remaster) a big hit sales-wise. You would expect the sequel to build on that and catapult into bigger sales. Especially with the insane presentation values and the full force of Sony marketing.

The game had the biggest PS4 exclusive launch ever at that point and seemed to have tapered off very quickly compared to the other big Sony exclusives.

The Last of Us 2 also took advantage of the PS4 full install base and re-launched on the PS5 with an upgraded version.

If you look at the top titles across the Switch and PS4/PS5, The Last of Us 2 is not keeping up with the big boys. It should not sit in the same category as Tsushima.

It's not bad to sell 10 million, it's great, but it's simply not as impressive as it once was for such absurdly expensive titles.

It's not like they are disappointed, but the TLOU franchise is considerably bigger than Tsushima or Horizon in terms of prestige and legacy. I think most expected something akin to God of War sales. The first TLOU was such a hit critically and eventually (after the PS4 remaster) a big hit sales-wise. You would expect the sequel to build on that and catapult into bigger sales. Especially with the insane presentation values and the full force of Sony marketing.

The game had the biggest PS4 exclusive launch ever at that point and seemed to have tapered off very quickly compared to the other big Sony exclusives.

The Last of Us 2 also took advantage of the PS4 full install base and re-launched on the PS5 with an upgraded version.

If you look at the top titles across the Switch and PS4/PS5, The Last of Us 2 is not keeping up with the big boys. It should not sit in the same category as Tsushima.

It's not bad to sell 10 million, it's great, but it's simply not as impressive as it once was for such absurdly expensive titles.
You have several things in here that are wrong. First of all God of War had plenty of bundles as others have pointed out. That's a big part of why it's number got so high. Out of all the great selling PS4 exclusives TLOU2 is the only one that was NOT bundled to hell like all the others were. It had 1 bundle only and that was for a limited PS4 Pro that they barely made any of because it was during COVID times. Those God of War bundles helped it sell millions more.

Second, TLOU2 did NOT re-launch on PS5. It got a patch to make the PS4 version run at 60FPS that's it. That isn't the same at all. Ghost of Tsushima re-launched on PS5 which that along with the expansion has helped it continue to sell. If that game never got a PS5 version or an expansion like TLOU2 did then it likely wouldn't be anywhere near the 9 million number that was just reported. A lot of people online said they were going to hold off on buying TLOU2 because they figured a PS5 version was going to come later. Now whether those people ever gave up waiting who knows but as of now there is no PS5 version.

You're comparing figures when other games had multiple bundles.

OqYwrFd.png

That's 11 bundles for God of War.

EIshQ-RU0AU2u2m

Playstation-holiday-deals-1280x720.jpg

WCCFplaystationblackfriday.jpg

Walmart-Black-Friday-2019-Playstation-4.png

God of War is not reaching 10 million or 19.5 million copies within that time frame without it.

The only spin going on here is people who look at this and say it doesn't matter.
You left out one of the most important bundles and that was the Uncharted 4 PS4 slim bundle. UC4 literally came with every PS4 console that was sold in 2016 and beyond. That's exactly why it sold so much. Take those bundles away and you can probably take a good 4-5 million if not more than that off it's total sales number. That isn't an exaggeration. PS4 was selling like hotcakes back then and when every unit sold came with that game that adds up fast.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
That also coincidentally was the month that TLoU Remastered was released on the PS4 and pushed the lifetime sales way beyond what it would have done had it just stayed on the PS3.
People forget this bit. And the remake would push it close to 25+ million easily. PS4 was a monster generation that pushed a lot of Sony first party studio games to do 10+ million.

Bragr

Banned
You have several things in here that are wrong. First of all God of War had plenty of bundles as others have pointed out. That's a big part of why it's number got so high. Out of all the great selling PS4 exclusives TLOU2 is the only one that was NOT bundled to hell like all the others were. It had 1 bundle only and that was for a limited PS4 Pro that they barely made any of because it was during COVID times. Those God of War bundles helped it sell millions more.

Second, TLOU2 did NOT re-launch on PS5. It got a patch to make the PS4 version run at 60FPS that's it. That isn't the same at all. Ghost of Tsushima re-launched on PS5 which that along with the expansion has helped it continue to sell. If that game never got a PS5 version or an expansion like TLOU2 did then it likely wouldn't be anywhere near the 9 million number that was just reported. A lot of people online said they were going to hold off on buying TLOU2 because they figured a PS5 version was going to come later. Now whether those people ever gave up waiting who knows but as of now there is no PS5 version.
I know it technically didn't relaunch as a game, but the new overhaul allows for new promotion and new hype. It can be a big deal and should help push some PS5 numbers. It's not nothing. I don't know what that game did among the PS5 only users, but it seems incredibly weak.

The bundle part is overused here because people freak out when they see how some games are selling more than TLOU 2. Yes bundles matter, sometimes a lot, but to assume it's the only reason it sold more than TLOU 2, well, you need something to back that up, we don't know.

You have no idea how Iki Island pushed sales, it probably did, but even with that expansion, TLOU 2 should still annihilate that game.

kiphalfton

Not really when Ragnarok is going to sell extremely well. Linear games are still extremely popular. I’m curious to see if Insomniacs Wolverine will be linear or not.

The problem with open world games is the world can be big... but 5 minutes into the game what you see is what you get (since most the time you can now go wherever you want at the very beginning of the game, and it's not like the old GTA games where they blocked off sections of the map until you got to a certain point).

With linear games you don't know what you're gonna get. You have to progress through the story to see where you're going next.

I just feel like open world games are a shell. It's there, but not much within.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You left out one of the most important bundles and that was the Uncharted 4 PS4 slim bundle. UC4 literally came with every PS4 console that was sold in 2016 and beyond. That's exactly why it sold so much. Take those bundles away and you can probably take a good 4-5 million if not more than that off it's total sales number. That isn't an exaggeration. PS4 was selling like hotcakes back then and when every unit sold came with that game that adds up fast.
Yeah, I quoted NPD earlier stating that Uncharted 4 Bundle was one of the top-selling SKUs in 2016-2017 and he ignored it. He didn't even know Sony counted bundles as copies sold.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I know it technically didn't relaunch as a game, but the new overhaul allows for new promotion and new hype. It can be a big deal and should help push some PS5 numbers. It's not nothing. I don't know what that game did among the PS5 only users, but it seems incredibly weak.

The bundle part is overused here because people freak out when they see how some games are selling more than TLOU 2. Yes bundles matter, sometimes a lot, but to assume it's the only reason it sold more than TLOU 2, well, you need something to back that up, we don't know.

You have no idea how Iki Island pushed sales, it probably did, but even with that expansion, TLOU 2 should still annihilate that game.
According to ZhugeEX, Uncharted 4 bundles were "significantly more than the game sold standalone"

ZMlLMds.png

Uncharted 4 would be higher than God of War if bundles were counted.

PsAmfrR.png

Uncharted 4 bundles were significantly over 3 million units in the US.

aRoMK9X.png

So I would say it's fair to say that 8.7 million copies sold in the US by December 2016 were mostly bundles. This is why bundles are brought up. Even Mat Piscatella had to explain why Uncharted and The Last of Us were not in the top 5, even though they sold more copies.

J6XJQh4.png

The Last of Us Part II surpassed Horizon Zero Dawn in July to become the Third Best-Selling PlayStation 4 Exclusive of all time.

No one is calling Uncharted 4 a flop since it made less money than Horizon Zero Dawn, which was a brand new IP.

Also, it's unlikely that The Last of Us would've surpassed God of War in sales, but we know it wouldn't have reached 10 million copies sold in 13 months or 19.5 million in 3 years without bundles.

Units sold are not an indicator of a game's success. I'm sure if The Last of Us was bundled similar to other Sony titles, they would've announced sales figures earlier. So far, The Last of Us Part II was one of the least bundled exclusives from Sony during the PS4 era.

Bragr

Banned
According to ZhugeEX, Uncharted 4 bundles were "significantly more than the game sold standalone"

ZMlLMds.png

Uncharted 4 would be higher than God of War if bundles were counted.

PsAmfrR.png

Uncharted 4 bundles were significantly over 3 million units in the US.

aRoMK9X.png

So I would say it's fair to say that 8.7 million copies sold in the US by December 2016 were mostly bundles. This is why bundles are brought up. Even Mat Piscatella had to explain why Uncharted and The Last of Us were not in the top 5, even though they sold more copies.

J6XJQh4.png

The Last of Us Part II surpassed Horizon Zero Dawn in July to become the Third Best-Selling PlayStation 4 Exclusive of all time.

No one is calling Uncharted 4 a flop since it made less money than Horizon Zero Dawn, which was a brand new IP.

Also, it's unlikely that The Last of Us would've surpassed God of War in sales, but we know it wouldn't have reached 10 million copies sold in 13 months or 19.5 million in 3 years without bundles.

Units sold are not an indicator of a game's success. I'm sure if The Last of Us was bundled similar to other Sony titles, they would've announced sales figures earlier. So far, The Last of Us Part II was one of the least bundled exclusives from Sony during the PS4 era.
Uncharted 4 is a different beast though and it's not clear how much you can use that example, that game has been around for a long time and was bundled during the PS4 heyday. You can't draw Uncharted 4 conclusions unto God of War.

Also, if they buy a bundle with God of War, it means they want the game. If it wasn't bundled, how many would people buy separately? of course, bundles boost sales, but it's impossible to say how many of those might pick it up regardless.

Sony exclusives are also in a weird light right now because Nintendo exclusives are trashing them and making them look like mediocre sellers.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Uncharted 4 is a different beast though and it's not clear how much you can use that example, that game has been around for a long time and was bundled during the PS4 heyday. You can't draw Uncharted 4 conclusions unto God of War.

Also, if they buy a bundle with God of War, it means they want the game. If it wasn't bundled, how many would people buy separately? of course, bundles boost sales, but it's impossible to say how many of those might pick it up regardless.

Sony exclusives are also in a weird light right now because Nintendo exclusives are trashing them and making them look like mediocre sellers.

I can use this data because people are comparing The Last of Us Part II sales to Uncharted 4, Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War.

If people are going to compare the number of copies sold, then they have to look at the data behind it.

And yes, we don't know how many people wanted the game versus just wanting the console, but the bundle was still forced in many regions.

If Sony releases The Last of Us Part II Director's Cut and it's bundled with PS5 consoles, you're no doubt going to see people trying to downplay it by mentioning bundles.

This is outright false. People don't buy a bundle because they want the game. Some people do sure but not people who buy millions of these things during the holiday in particular. When Sony bundles UC4 with every PS4 you have no choice but to buy the bundle. When Sony bundles God of War, and one or two other games with a PS4 for Black Friday and prices it at $249 people aren't buying it because they want God of War. They are buying it because that's the lowest price a PS4 has ever been and hey it has a few games that they can get for free or trade away for something they do want. I mentioned this earlier but I know several people who bought a PS4 that came with TLOU Remastered and they never even played it. It was just a good deal on the bundle and they just wanted the console for GTA5 and NBA 2K.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
You clearly don't know how to read but we already see how smart you are. TLOU2 had a PS4 Pro bundle that they barely made any of. Not the same at all when compared to the 10+ bundles someone else listed that came with GOW and TLOU1 that helped sell millions of extra copies of those games. Please keep acting ignorant though. Every one here can see how dumb you are.
Enough with the sugarcoating with bundles , just two years wait for it etc as the other guy mentioned tlou2 tanked and underperfomed nuff said

It should be doing at least equal the first game (+20m tlou1 doing this on ps3 which is considered a weaker gen for sony) and based on its bigger growth potential on ps4 it should be doing +30m numbers like spiderman does

+10 m is still great number but clearly its underperformed as everyone can see it

Last edited:

EDMIX

Enough with the sugarcoating as the other guy mentioned tlou2 tanked and underperfomed

It should be doing at least equal the first game (+20m tlou1 doing this on ps3 which is considered a weaker gen for sony) and based on its bigger growth potential on ps4 it should be doing +30m numbers like spiderman does

+10 m is still great number but clearly its underperformed as everyone can see it

man you are triggered lol

Not sure how The Last Of Us 2 moving those units faster then the first game has to do with Ghost Of Tsushima btw

9c7

Last edited:
Top Bottom