• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies - 2 year anniversary stats

People in here arguing over bundles. You ever stop ask why Sony didn't bundle TLOU2 more? They do it with all of their big games, as do MS and Nintendo. Why not their "flagship" sequel to one of their biggest hits on PS3? Probably because they know it was a divisive game and it's much easier to push their system with more widely liked titles.

People in here arguing over bundles. You ever stop ask why Sony didn't bundle TLOU2 more? They do it with all of their big games, as do MS and Nintendo. Why not their "flagship" sequel to one of their biggest hits on PS3? Probably because they know it was a divisive game and it's much easier to push their system with more widely liked titles.

I enjoyed TLOU2 but it was very uncomfortable for me to play at some points. The story really messed me up. Now something like Spider-Man that’s definitely something we will always see bundles with.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Bundle more with what?

PlayStation 4 shipments were on a massive decline in 2020 and beyond, so they couldn't bundle it like their other "flagship" titles.

Horizon Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, and Spider-Man Miles Morales all benefited from bundles because retailers were selling them with PlayStation 5 consoles. You could say this about most of Sony's PlayStation 5 titles.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Enough with the sugarcoating with bundles , just two years wait for it etc as the other guy mentioned tlou2 tanked and underperfomed nuff said

It should be doing at least equal the first game (+20m tlou1 doing this on ps3 which is considered a weaker gen for sony) and based on its bigger growth potential on ps4 it should be doing +30m numbers like spiderman does

+10 m is still great number but clearly its underperformed as everyone can see it

Why do you keep telling people The Last of Us sold 20 million on the PS3?

This is an official chart from Sony.

3bbc7ed5e5e8a609dcd98a66a6a0124520190521061913.png

EEogbTH.jpg

20 different bundles.

But continue to say that people are using bundles as an excuse when it was the main driving for in sales on the PS4.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm late on this one, just started playing this weekend. It's so much better than I expected........I'm about 5 hrs in and it's been amazing so far, graphics, control, story, progression, all fantastic. What was I thinking not playing this sooner. That said at least I get 60fps in graphics mode in exchange.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Why do you keep telling people The Last of Us sold 20 million on the PS3?

This is an official chart from Sony.

20 different bundles.

But continue to say that people are using bundles as an excuse when it was the main driving for in sales on the PS4.
you keep repeating tlou1 gets bundled and keep ignoring that tlou2 getting bundled aswell

See the one sided story of yours?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
you keep repeating tlou1 gets bundled and keep ignoring that tlou2 getting bundled aswell

See the one sided story of yours?

The Last of Us Part II released a limited edition than was discontinued shortly after its release.
The Last of Us Remastered was bundled for more than 4 years.

It shouldn't be this hard to understand.

yurinka

Nice to see GoT joined Horizon, TLOU1, TLOU2 and Uncharted 4 league of selling around 10M in around 2 years. Sucker Punch is now in the league of the big boys. As I remember in Sony exclusives only Spider-Man and GoW 2018 achieved 10M way faster.

Everyting else like Gran Turismo Sport, Death Stranding, Dreams, etc. and any MS console exclusive sold way under 10M in 2 years, needed way more time to achieve 10M units sold, never achieved or at least never announced it.

Regarding the comparision with TLOU2, both GoT and TLOU2 were discounted and heavily bundled. The main difference was TLOU2 got more affected by the lockdowns sales spike and had a huge hype build from the first game that resulted in record launch sales. GoT had a lower start but got the bumps of the DLC and its Director's Cut for PS5 and later extra visibility and word of mouth thanks to being included in PS+. Both games achieved around 10M copies around 2 years after launch.

In the long run GoT will get bumps when releasing its movie, its potential PC port and sequel. In the case of TLOU2, very likely will get bumps with the release of TLOU1 remake, TLOU MP game, TLOU TV Show and potential PS5 & PC versions of TLOU2.

Not sure how The Last Of Us 2 moving those units faster then the first game has to do with Ghost Of Tsushima btw
Enough with the sugarcoating with bundles , just two years wait for it etc as the other guy mentioned tlou2 tanked and underperfomed nuff said

It should be doing at least equal the first game (+20m tlou1 doing this on ps3 which is considered a weaker gen for sony) and based on its bigger growth potential on ps4 it should be doing +30m numbers like spiderman does

+10 m is still great number but clearly its underperformed as everyone can see it

According to ZhugeEX, Uncharted 4 bundles were "significantly more than the game sold standalone"

ZMlLMds.png

Uncharted 4 would be higher than God of War if bundles were counted.

PsAmfrR.png

Uncharted 4 bundles were significantly over 3 million units in the US.

aRoMK9X.png

So I would say it's fair to say that 8.7 million copies sold in the US by December 2016 were mostly bundles. This is why bundles are brought up. Even Mat Piscatella had to explain why Uncharted and The Last of Us were not in the top 5, even though they sold more copies.

J6XJQh4.png

The Last of Us Part II surpassed Horizon Zero Dawn in July to become the Third Best-Selling PlayStation 4 Exclusive of all time.

No one is calling Uncharted 4 a flop since it made less money than Horizon Zero Dawn, which was a brand new IP.

Also, it's unlikely that The Last of Us would've surpassed God of War in sales, but we know it wouldn't have reached 10 million copies sold in 13 months or 19.5 million in 3 years without bundles.

Units sold are not an indicator of a game's success. I'm sure if The Last of Us was bundled similar to other Sony titles, they would've announced sales figures earlier. So far, The Last of Us Part II was one of the least bundled exclusives from Sony during the PS4 era.

In aprox. their first two years TLOU1, TLOU2, Uncharted 4, Horizon and GoT sould around 10M units. As reference this is way more than Death Stranding or Gran Turismo Sport. None of them are underperforming at all.

GoW 2018 and Spider-Man sold way more in 2 years but are very special and unique cases. In the case of Spider-Man it's one of the biggest IPs in the world, and in the case of GoW it was a clear GOTY that successfully redefined its genre, its series and one of Sony's most popular, best selling IPs.

It doesn't make sense to talk about discounts and bundles. All important Sony games get heavily bundled and nobody forced people buy bundles: PS4 always was sold separatedly in additon to in bundles (it wasn't like now with this rare exception of chips shortages where some shipments are only of bundled consoles and there is no stock of single consoles). So yes, in the same way Nintendo counts bundled copies as game solds same as to be done with Sony.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
It is doing at least equal to the first games on PS4.

TLOU 1 on PS3 ~ 8 million sold
TLOU 1 on PS4 ~ 12+ million sold in ~6 years

TLOU 2 on PS4 ~ 10+ million sold in ~2 years

As you can see, on PS4 TLOU 2 is on the same trajectory as TLOU 1 remastered on PS4 and that is with only 1 limited edition bundle. It took TLOU Remastered multiple bundles and 6 years to do 12+ million while it took TLOU 2 a little less than 2 years to do 10+ million. So, as you can also see Part 2 reached its miles stone faster than Part 1 on PS4.

The remake of Part 1 should easily do 10 million across PS5 and PC which should push total of Part 1 across PS3, PS4, PS5 and PC to 30+ million. VS Part 2 which was only released on PS4. The franchise is strong and if they ever decided to remaster Part 2, it should easily do 10+ million. Part 2 is a major success by all measures.

Last edited:
"Everyone" LMAO. You mean you and the other troll in here. The only people who think it tanked or underperformed are the haters like you that can't deal with the fact that Joel got killed. I'd like to see you tell someone from PlayStation face to face that it tanked and underperformed but we both know you would be too cowardly to do that because they would correct you so fast and make you look like the uneducated moron you are.

Ulysses 31

I'd like to see you tell someone from PlayStation face to face that it tanked and underperformed but we both know you would be too cowardly to do that because they would correct you so fast and make you look like the uneducated moron you are.
To be fair, we can't ever truly tell if it underperformed or not as long as Sony don't tell us what sales projections it had and how much it cost to develop and market the game.

Last edited:

TheTony316

I dont avoid context

Most videogame peak sales are last for couple months after releases ( one year top) after that it decline rapidly

Using the 'wait for it til it reach 6 years like tlou 1' is a poor excuses but ok il do anyway lets wait and see if tlou 2 can reach another +10 mill to match tlou1 number they still got time until 2026

You're ignoring the amount of time. TLOU1 didn't sell 20 million in 2 years. It took almost a decade. Imagine calling the PS2 in 2002 a flop because the PS1 at that point was at 90+ million.

To be fair, we can't ever truly tell if it underperformed or not as long as Sony don't tell us what sales projections it had and how much it cost to develop and market the game.
Considering it sold 4+ million copies at full price including all the various editions it had I'm sure it turned a profit in those first few days. The game was also placing high in the sales charts even in the months after launch so it continued to sell well at full price. By July 2020 it was also the third highest grossing PlayStation game of all time. You telling me that the game that made Sony the third highest amount of dollars by just its second month on sale was a disappointment to them? Nah.

Naughty Dog also got to go on a hiring spree and now appears to have 3 games in development. If Sony wasn't happy they wouldn't be giving them all the money to do all these things. They would be stuck in the position of someone like Bend Studio who has to now come up with yet another new IP and their studio isn't being expanded at all to work on multiple things. Either way there is a lot more variables out there that show Sony is pleased with the game than there is otherwise. There is actually zero variables that show they are unhappy with it which is why the only people who try to run that narrative are the haters who got up in their feelings because Joel died.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
More bundle talk? LOL of course!

I don't really care about the bundles unless it's like what Sony is doing right now with HZD2 and the PS5. The PS5 is really hard to find and Sony has the nerve to make a majority of their consoles bundles with HZD2 and they're charging for the game - it's not included in the $400/$500 price! It's ridiculous. I think when Nintendo was bundling Mario Kart it was essentially free, not an additional $60. Sony is just being greedy. It's helping to prop up those HZD2 numbers, but it's BS that Sony is doing this when most people still can't find a PS5.

But now back to GoT, great numbers, especially for a new IP! I didn't even realize it was bundled, but I'm not mad about it. PS4s were easy to find. If someone wanted GoT they might buy the bundle. No one was forced to if they wanted a PS4.

Airbus Jr

Banned
"Everyone" LMAO. You mean you and the other troll in here. The only people who think it tanked or underperformed are the haters like you that can't deal with the fact that Joel got killed. I'd like to see you tell someone from PlayStation face to face that it tanked and underperformed but we both know you would be too cowardly to do that because they would correct you so fast and make you look like the uneducated moron you are.
Stating the obvious stats ( tlou1 +20m and tlou 2 +10m)

"Fuck you troll!!"

"Uneducated moron you are!!"

" arrraggghhh..!!!!"

Some people here cant handle the truth

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Considering it sold 4+ million copies at full price including all the various editions it had I'm sure it turned a profit in those first few days. The game was also placing high in the sales charts even in the months after launch so it continued to sell well at full price. Naughty Dog also got to go on a hiring spree and now appears to have 3 games in development. If Sony wasn't happy they wouldn't be giving them all the money to do all these things. They would be stuck in the position of someone like Bend Studio who has to now come up with yet another new IP and their studio isn't being expanded at all to work on multiple things. Either way there is a lot more variables out there that show Sony is pleased with the game than there is otherwise. There is actually zero variables that show they are unhappy with it which is why the only people who try to run that narrative are the haters who got up in their feelings because Joel died.
Again, we don't know what it cost to develop and market the game which had delays. I'll gladly assume it wasn't a financial flop, but that's a far cray from it being a smash hit that exceeded all sales expectations.

Stating the obvious stats ( tlou1 +20m and tlou 2 +10m)

"Fuck you troll!!"

"Uneducated moron you are!!"

" arrraggghhh..!!!!"

Some people here cant handle the truth
Your stats are about as dumb as someone saying the PS5 is a flop because after two years it's only at 20 million where the PS4 is at 116 million. Man what a disappointment the PS5 is huh. This is exactly why I said you would be laughed out of the room so fast by people in the business. Probably why you're a nobody on the internet crying because a game's story wasn't the happy fairy tale that you wanted.

Last edited:
Again, we don't know what it cost to develop and market the game which had delays. I'll gladly assume it wasn't a financial flop, but that's a far cray from it being a smash hit that exceeded all sales expectations.
TLOU2 didn't have any more delays than any other first party game. Most of the big PS4 games had a delay or two before they finally launched. The game wasn't marketed any more than God of War or Horizon was either. In fact it might have even been less because it was during COVID when they couldn't do all the usual marketing things that they normally would. As I said, there is plenty of data showing the game was a financial smash hit and none that shows otherwise.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Your facts are about as dumb as someone saying the PS5 is a flop because after two years it's only at 20 million where the PS4 is at 116 million. Man what a disappointment the PS5 is huh. This is exactly why I said you would be laughed out of the room so fast by people in the business. Probably why you're a nobody on the internet crying because a game's story wasn't the happy fairy tale that you wanted.
Thats not how it works ffs game sales are not the same as console sales a very wrong and poor comparison

Consoles sales will thrive during it lifespan even after the next gen arrived

Game sales peaked during releases until next few months and usually plateud and dissapear after over a year

You keep calling people dumb but youre the dumb one

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Why are we talking about tlou2 here? Lol

Tlou2 may have been successful but it vastly under preformed the prior game. I'm guessing part of that is due to some of the negative reactions it got prior to release. I recall the game leaking and folks shitting on the story. That definitely hurt it somewhat.

Ulysses 31

TLOU2 didn't have any more delays than any other first party game. Most of the big PS4 games had a delay or two before they finally launched. The game wasn't marketed any more than God of War or Horizon was either. In fact it might have even been less because it was during COVID when they couldn't do all the usual marketing things that they normally would. As I said, there is plenty of data showing the game was a financial smash hit and none that shows otherwise.
Only thing that matters to the Sony suits if it met expectations(or exceeded them), until a Sony rep says it did, there will be room for doubt.

At least the GoT folk do give updates which seem to indicate the success.

Last edited:

Fake

I think it might be fanboys on both sides though.

Fanboys are fanboys. Don't matter the side. IDK what are you thinking when I said 'fanboys'. Even haters or lovers, Xbox or Sony or Nintendo, still fanboys at core.

Topher

Gold Member
Tlou2 may have been successful but it vastly under preformed the prior game.

That's not true. TLOU 2 has sold 10 million copies as of this past spring. TLOU sold 8 million copies in 14 months. So the two games sold roughly the same number of copies in their first two years.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

That's not true. TLOU 2 has sold 10 million copies as of this past spring. TLOU sold 8 million copies in 14 months. So the two games sold roughly the same number of copies in their first two years.
Eh, there's quite a time gap between 24 and 14 months.

Consider that TLOU2 is a much bigger game and surely also cost a lot more to make.

Lognor

Banned
No need to pile on but yeah those numbers aren't great. It DID under perform tlou1. Can't really argue that

Topher

Gold Member
Copy paste corizo word
23RdQLl.jpg
Eh, there's quite a time gap between 24 and 14 months.

Consider that TLOU2 is a much bigger game and surely also cost a lot more to make.

No need to pile on but yeah those numbers aren't great. It DID under perform tlou1. Can't really argue that

That isn't accurate. ND said TLOU 2 hit 10 million in early spring. That's more like 20 months. A full two years would have been in June. 8 million in 14 months is not that much more than 10 million in 20. Saying it "vastly under performed" isn't correct at all.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
That isn't accurate. ND said TLOU 2 hit 10 million in early spring. That's more like 20 months. A full two years would have been in June. 8 million in 14 months is not that much more than 10 million in 20. Saying it "vastly under performed" isn't correct at all.
Tlou2 should not be on par with tlou1. It should have grown the fanbase. It didn't. Not sure how you can say that isn't under performing. I'm sure ND expected much higher numbers.

And the ps4 was much more successful than the ps3 so a ton more potential for tlou2. So I would certainly call that under performing.

Topher

Gold Member
Tlou2 should not be on par with tlou1. It should have grown the fanbase. It didn't. Not sure how you can say that isn't under performing. I'm sure ND expected much higher numbers.

And the ps4 was much more successful than the ps3 so a ton more potential for tlou2. So I would certainly call that under performing.

Again.....I'm saying 2 did not "vastly under perform" compared to one. TLOU was also bundled heavily on PS4 whereas TLOU 2 only had a very limited edition bundle.

Last edited:
Thats not how it works ffs game sales are not the same as console sales a very wrong and poor comparison

Consoles sales will thrive during it lifespan even after the next gen arrived

Game sales peaked during releases until next few months and usually plateud and dissapear after over a year

You keep calling people dumb but youre the dumb one
You're so dumb you couldn't even understand the point. You are a waste of time. The point was is you never compare two things when one has been out years longer than the other. Come back when TLOU2 is six years old and let us know how it compares to TLOU1's numbers then. Until then you have no case at all. BTW if game sales disappear after a year then why is TLOU2 still charting in the top 10 on PlayStation Store sales charts even in 2022? I won't be giving you any more of my time. I hope whatever Naughty Dog does next pisses you off just as much as TLOU2 did because it's hilarious how butt hurt you are over this game.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
You're so dumb you couldn't even understand the point. You are a waste of time. The point was is you never compare two things when one has been out years longer than the other. Come back when TLOU2 is six years old and let us know how it compares to TLOU1's numbers then. Until then you have no case at all. BTW if game sales disappear after a year then why is TLOU2 still charting in the top 10 on PlayStation Store sales charts even in 2022? I won't be giving you any more of my time. I hope whatever Naughty Dog does next pisses you off just as much as TLOU2 did because it's hilarious how butt hurt you are over this game.
Im not buthurt at all. The only one who buthurt ( judging by the way they type) is you.

Btw your obsession with the 'wait until x game hit 6 year' is weird man. Spiderman is sitting at +33m and it doesnt need the "wait until it hit 6 year' excuses like tlou2 does

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Im not buthurt at all. The only one who buthurt ( judging by the way they type) is you.

Btw your obsession with the 'wait until x game hit 6 year' is weird man. Spiderman is sitting at +33m and it doesnt need the "wait until it hit 6 year' excuses like tlou2 does

Comparing TLOU to Spider-man is strange comparison as well, don't you think? Did anyone ever expect any TLOU game to come close to Spider-man numbers?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Comparing TLOU to Spider-man is strange comparison as well, don't you think? Did anyone ever expect any TLOU game to come close to Spider-man numbers?
Spiderman was crap ip ( during activision days) before insomniac tookover spiderman was never this huge seller. Meanwhile Naughty Dog was sony biggest #1 studio and TLOU 1 was sony highest selling first party game

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
This is outright false. People don't buy a bundle because they want the game. Some people do sure but not people who buy millions of these things during the holiday in particular. When Sony bundles UC4 with every PS4 you have no choice but to buy the bundle. When Sony bundles God of War, and one or two other games with a PS4 for Black Friday and prices it at $249 people aren't buying it because they want God of War. They are buying it because that's the lowest price a PS4 has ever been and hey it has a few games that they can get for free or trade away for something they do want. I mentioned this earlier but I know several people who bought a PS4 that came with TLOU Remastered and they never even played it. It was just a good deal on the bundle and they just wanted the console for GTA5 and NBA 2K.
How can you say it's false and that people don't buy a bundle, and in the next sentence say that some sure do?

I am not saying everyone who buys a bundle would buy the game. We don't know any of these numbers.

DeepSpace5D

Isn’t that Spiderman figure of 33 million the sales of the PS4 Spiderman plus Miles Morales and all of their respective versions combined?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Isn’t that Spiderman figure of 33 million the sales of the PS4 Spiderman plus Miles Morales and all of their respective versions combined?
I dont know the precise details but whatever it is that is a huge achievement and catapult insomniac into new stratosphere, no insomniac game can even get close to that number before

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Spiderman was crap ip ( during activision) before insomniac spiderman was never this big during activision days. Meanwhile Naughty Dog was sony biggest #1 studio

Spider-man was wasted IP under Activision. With Insomniac we see what the Spider-man IP can do when in the right hands. It shouldn't be surprising that a properly made Spider-man game would sell extremely well.

Yes, that is correct.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Again.....I'm saying 2 did not "vastly under perform" compared to one. TLOU was also bundled heavily on PS4 whereas TLOU 2 only had a very limited edition bundle.
I thought bundles don't matter though?

It sounds like we just have a difference of opinion in whether it just underperformed or whether it vastly underperformed. It certaintly didn't live up to Naughty Dog's expectations.

You can look at sales on Uncharted 1 (a new IP) vs Uncharted 2 as a good comparison to tlou1 vs 2. Uncharted 1, per google, did 4m+. Uncharted 2 did 7m+. Big jump in sales. Not what we saw with tlou. Gotta be a disappointment for ND. And the budget on tlou2 was significantly higher than the first game.

Or maybe tlou1 was just lightning in a bottle and that's why ND is making a remake so soon after it released.

That airbus guy is a dumbass. A troll who says the dumbest stuff just to get a reaction. Comparing TLOU to Spider-Man now when Spider-Man as a name is on a whole other level.

I thought bundles don't matter though?

It sounds like we just have a difference of opinion in whether it just underperformed or whether it vastly underperformed. It certaintly didn't live up to Naughty Dog's expectations.

You can look at sales on Uncharted 1 (a new IP) vs Uncharted 2 as a good comparison to tlou1 vs 2. Uncharted 1, per google, did 4m+. Uncharted 2 did 7m+. Big jump in sales. Not what we saw with tlou. Gotta be a disappointment for ND. And the budget on tlou2 was significantly higher than the first game.

Or maybe tlou1 was just lightning in a bottle and that's why ND is making a remake so soon after it released.
They are making a remake because they have a TV show coming up and everyone in the industry saw what that did for The Witcher 3's sales. The first game doesn't hold up well compared to TLOU2 so they want people who are coming in new to be able to enjoy the best possible version of that game. That's all there is to it.

As for your Uncharted comparison what part of these two games haven't been out the same amount of time do you not understand? TLOU2 sold MILLIONS more than TLOU at launch. That is GROWTH. 10+ million in less than 2 years. TLOU did 20 million in 6 years and that includes the millions of copies that were bundled with PS3s and PS4s. Take those away and it's probably at like 14 million in 6 years. TLOU2's numbers compared to that look very good considering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom