• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Industry Condemns Insomniac Hack and Shows Support for Spider-Man Devs

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Maybe instead of wasting money on AAA games they will invest in better security measures so they can prevent another data breach of this magnitude. Should never have happened.

Its not that simple, all it takes is one individual to get, essentially, conned and they can create a bridgehead into an entire network.

Let's be honest. If one of these sophisticated criminal gangs targeted you, or your employer, chances are high your personal info would be on the dark-web in days.

Hacks and ransomware attacks happen daily. None of us is truly safe.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Basically. Some put more effort, money and recourses on enhancing their cybersecurity more so than others. Certain companies are known for their strong cybersecurity measures and a commitment to safeguarding their systems like Apple, Tesla, IBM etc. You can be sure that they are constantly targeted by hackers, no serious breach yet from what know. Either way, Sony needs to put more money and recourses on securing its systems one way or the other.

And do not forget the infamous iCloud hack that exposed hundreds of celebs nudes as well as thousands of peasants.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yahoo News and Forbes even had articles on the Insomniac leak.

As for any game sites cherry picking which leaks are good ones to get clicks and which ones are against proper ethics gimme a break.

There's tons of game leaks every year from text, to images to alpha version videos. As if every game site is 100% for or 100% against leaks for their existence. They cherry pick when convenient.

If it involves leaking to the internet people's personal info, social security numbers and void cheques for payroll thats different. Thats uncalled for and not even related to gaming. But for video game leaks, every so called game site should pick a side yes or no and stick to it.

Sushi_Combo

Its not that simple, all it takes is one individual to get, essentially, conned and they can create a bridgehead into an entire network.

Let's be honest. If one of these sophisticated criminal gangs targeted you, or your employer, chances are high your personal info would be on the dark-web in days.

People don't understand how cybersecurity works, it's a collective effort on everyone's end to make sure information is safe. It really does just take 1 individual to be used as a vector into a private network.

Shut0wen

OMG. They finally leaked footage of a game being in dev for 3 years, sales figures of PS4 first party games and a release roadmap. WOW, what an injustice.

Get the fuck outta here. This is something the movie industry does at fucking comic con. They show what they are going to release the next half a decade or more. They release box office numbers because they are not ashamed to admit their failures or hide their successes like Sony did with Days Gone and DriveClub because they know they will catch flack from fans of those franchises.

And they release teasers, trailers, behind the scenes footage, and even hilariously bad Entertainment Weekly screenshot to keep their fanbase engaged. Because movies are supposed to be fun, and not a fucking state secret. 2.5 years after wolverine's reveal and not a single screenshot was shown to the fans?

Yeah, no sympathy for insomniac or sony here. its not like the source code was put out there. thats actual theft.

EDIT: Just remembered they also had their employees' personal information stolen. Thats different yes. Im only talking about how absolutely ridiculous sony is guarding their sales figures and roadmaps. Not to mention how silent they have been in the last few years in regards to upcoming games that have been in development for over 3.5 years.
Seriously this, if anything some people will be more hyped at the final product, i always love these kind of leaks just to see how the final product usually ends up, 9/10 its exactly like the leak in the first place and devs love to give people the bullshit that development can change anytime, when it comes to triple A game development it never changes that much, either slight changes or straight out cancellation, though indie games can change drastically

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

It might not be simple but action should be taken nonetheless. I am curious how the breach happened in the first place. Was it by chance or was it internal sabotage.

Sanepar

I think Sony deserves that since they are hiding everything and doesn't communicate with their fanbase. If they had no secrecy with their games and a mediocre event in May this would not happen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think Sony deserves that since they are hiding everything and doesn't communicate with their fanbase. If they had no secrecy with their games and a mediocre event in May this would not happen.
To be fair they did announce Wolverine in 2021 in one of their state of play videos. Unfortunately, i dont think anyone would had guessed it'd be a 2026 game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Saying that anyone deserves to be hacked or have their unannounced plans leaked before their schedule cause of a lackluster event is silly -_-

No one 'deserves' to be hacked.

But once the news is out in public, reporting on it is a different matter (without doxxing personal information of course).

There's tons of game leaks every year from text, to images to alpha version videos. As if every game site is 100% for or 100% against leaks for their existence. They cherry pick when convenient.

If it involves leaking to the internet people's personal info, social security numbers and void cheques for payroll thats different. Thats uncalled for and not even related to gaming. But for video game leaks, every so called game site should pick a side yes or no and stick to it.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
again there’s a difference between a leak and a ransomware attack… I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand for some people
Whats really the difference? Leaks and ransomware blackmailing both involve sketchy people on both sides. If anything, it can be argued leaks are worse because they are done by their own "I dont give a shit" company employees. Sites showcasing leaks are just supporting more employees to sabotage their own employer and department egging them on to do more for laughs and clicks. At least with hackers, it can be stopped if they are paid.

Thread is exactly why theres a buffer between devs and gamers. Insomniac got gangbanged wide open in 4k hdr and is now leaking like a faucet. Press wanting to or not to cover this is fair. With the mega gta 6 leak at least it didnt show R* entire 10 year roadmap.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wouldn't wish it on any game dev. These guys work hard and have a structure which most on here probably wouldn't understand or else you wouldn't see the feeding frenzy and negative spin by the same players.

Meanwhile, I'm actually looking forward to a few of their games and none of them are Spiderman.

FUBARx89

It's No diff than GTA 6 hacks reporting wise. It sucks for the dev team having their work leaked in a alpha state aswell as all the story, but it is what it is.

It's the personal info getting out that's the truly bad thing, followed by the roadmap for their next releases.

But if they're taking requests. Hack Bungie. With the shit storm going on over there atm; I'd imagine the emails would be amazing to read.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
yet another example of selective support from the 'game industry'.

1irVWP0.jpg
Let's not broad stroke everyone. At the end of the day you're better off being consistent with that stance and do what I do and basically condemn this. Who gives a shit about keeping score of who gets hacked and how internet nerds react.

From someone who actually has some friends in the industry, it sucks.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let's not broad stroke everyone. At the end of the day you're better off being consistent with that stance and do what I do and basically condemn this. Who gives a shit about keeping score of who gets hacked and how internet nerds react.

From someone who actually has some friends I'm the industry, it sucks.

At no point would I ever condone anyone getting hacked. And, yes, I agree with you that it's best to have a consistent stance.

Let's see if Gamestop, VGC and people like Greg keep the same stance if another notable hack happens in the coming months and more unrevealed game(s) info becomes public like that.

Flutta

Banned

And do not forget the infamous iCloud hack that exposed hundreds of celebs nudes as well as thousands of peasants.

Bruh def proven wrong here.

I thought at least IBM would have a fortress of security walls, guess i was wrong lol.

That iCloud hack def made a lot of nerds happy just saying :messenger_beaming:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah ND condemns it too.

Last edited:

Warablo

It sucks that its out there, but there is no changing that. So at least let us talk about it. We have nothing else to talk about.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It might not be simple but action should be taken nonetheless. I am curious how the breach happened in the first place. Was it by chance or was it internal sabotage.

Probably someone got phished, likely a non-tech person working in a support role. From there they could get a payload-in and then stealthily exfiltrated the hours/data over a few days once they figured out the internal structure of the network using standard hacks.

Half the trick is staying undetected once they are in, long enough to escalate their access privileges in order to reach whatever they wanted.

Gamers: I need to see a trailer for this game coming out in the distant future.

Also gamers: why did they reveal this game so early when it's not coming out for years.
Tbh tho. They DID reveal Wolverine already. They’ve just showed nothing since the reveal trailer - and if it’s expected to be a 2026 title - why not just say that and set expectations?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Good. As someone that oversees a Cybersecurity dept, the general forum response has been just absolutely repulsive.

I've never hid threads for the past 10+ years until I saw this forum flooded with topics and seeing comments blaming and/or shitting on Insomniac.

Katajx

Gold Member
The workers personal information being exposed sucks.

The slow drip marketing they go through and the marketing budgets in general are insane in the west.
I don’t feel bad about the WIP game stuff though.

I get that things are unfinished, but I don’t see why there is so much secrecy about it. I think the GTA 6 reveal was even bigger than they expected even after all the leaks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At no point would I ever condone anyone getting hacked. And, yes, I agree with you that it's best to have a consistent stance.

Let's see if Gamestop, VGC and people like Greg keep the same stance if another notable hack happens in the coming months and more unrevealed game(s) info becomes public like that.
Well said.

I wouldnt condone it either. Crime is stupid. But to be honest I flip through leak material when its posted just like tons of other people and websites reposting it. If someone posted the formula for Coke, I'd look at it too. I wouldnt know what to do with it as Im not a food chemist, but it's interesting stuff to read.

OMG. They finally leaked footage of a game being in dev for 3 years, sales figures of PS4 first party games and a release roadmap. WOW, what an injustice.

Get the fuck outta here. This is something the movie industry does at fucking comic con. They show what they are going to release the next half a decade or more. They release box office numbers because they are not ashamed to admit their failures or hide their successes like Sony did with Days Gone and DriveClub because they know they will catch flack from fans of those franchises.

And they release teasers, trailers, behind the scenes footage, and even hilariously bad Entertainment Weekly screenshot to keep their fanbase engaged. Because movies are supposed to be fun, and not a fucking state secret. 2.5 years after wolverine's reveal and not a single screenshot was shown to the fans?

Yeah, no sympathy for insomniac or sony here. its not like the source code was put out there. thats actual theft.

EDIT: Just remembered they also had their employees' personal information stolen. Thats different yes. Im only talking about how absolutely ridiculous sony is guarding their sales figures and roadmaps. Not to mention how silent they have been in the last few years in regards to upcoming games that have been in development for over 3.5 years.
That's a strange response. I loved getting all the information, but it's bizarre to get angry because they want to keep information.
Aside from the consumer rights related to the products purchased from them, you realize they own us nothing, right?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige

This video covers 2 cases (Alanah Pearce and Greggy) and their difference in coverage for this versus GTA/Capcom leaks.

Solid video that sums it up. For those of you who havent seen it, it's only 10 minutes too.

Thats video game shilling and ethics for ya. But I thought all these people are all so called unbased journalists?

This Insomniac event is so big with so much content and will last a while on message boards and social media, for any game site or Youtuber making a stand against talking about it despite talking about other gaming leaks, they got to be the most biased or even more simply paid off nutsackers who cant be trusted.

Anything for a buck.

Only way I would understand a juicy news story being ignored is if it's a one and done event, and that person or site has no resources and the guy is on vacation for Xmas. Nobody can expect small fries to cover every piece of gaming news out there. But for the sites with enough resources doing daily news and videos, dont be a coward and cover it just like GTA, Capcom and MS court cases leaks.

Geez. I guess that Sony money must be that big. It doesn't even make sense too. On one hand Sony is likely paying off these people to not cover it (or threatening bad relations going forward), so they got money to spend. Yet, they didn't even want to pay the hackers a whopping 50 bitcoin fee, which is only $20 million worth. It's not like they asked for 500 or 5000 bitcoins. It was $20M. So Sony didn't take the leak serious enough over $20M.

A company that does something like $100 billion sales and $10 billion profit. And $20M was too much letting the hacker deadline pass.

Last edited:

sigrad

There's a bunch of personal data on this leak.. Might be the reason why they didn't want to report on it that much?
Didn't know that. Haven't seen any of that info shared by anyone. That wouldn't be cool. But the gameplay ans roadmap and all that stuff should be fair game.
it is for every other developer that gets hacked/leaked out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom