• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Industry Condemns Insomniac Hack and Shows Support for Spider-Man Devs

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The leak wasn’t cool. Spoiled the hell out of Wolverine and blew open their future projects for the remainder of the decade. And that’s not even getting into the threats on employees.

The early GTA VI leak wasn’t cool either, but it was nowhere near as big as Insomniac being blown wide open.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
again there’s a difference between a leak and a ransomware attack… I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand for some people

The big GTA VI leak from last year was also part of a cyber-attack. I'm not talking about the employees son leaking things a few weeks ago. I'm talking about the big one where all the pre-viz GTA footage came from last year. That's the Kinda Funny thumbnail from.

Last edited:
'Game Industry' should be treating all leaks equally.

GBv6X0_WEAArrAu

GBv6YB5WMAAV9HM
The industry need to separate a "leak" from a "hack" they aren't the same but every youtube thumbnail I see says leak. No company deserves this but the one company (Insomniac) who actually communicate with its player base and release games at an excellent cadence definitely didn't deserve this

midnightAI

The industry need to separate a "leak" from a "hack" they aren't the same but every youtube thumbnail I see says leak. No company deserves this but the one company (Insomniac) who actually communicate with its player base and release games at an excellent cadence definitely didn't deserve this
Completely agreed. Still doesn't mean certain people think they deserve it due to (fucked up) reasons.

Some even think that everything deserves to get leaked because Sony is on a different timeline to them as to when stuff should be shown, the very definition of entitlement.

skit_data

The big GTA VI leak from last year was also part of a cyber-attack. I'm not talking about the employees son leaking things a few weeks ago. I'm talking about the big one where all the pre-viz GTA footage came from last year. That's the Kinda Funny thumbnail from.

I could see making an argument that there is a difference because there was a lot of personal info on employees in this hack and not in the GTAVI one but I still agree that its a little bit wierd to go from covering one to outright condemning coverage on the other.

graywolf323

my apologies, I missed that on the thumbnail and I thought it was about the trailer leak

I agree with that they should be covered the same, but in so much they should have treated the hack from last year the same way they’re treating this one

so let’s hold Kinda Funny to the new standard they’ve set

mortal

Gold Member
It stands to reason that people within the industry would express their concern and empathy for their colleagues. Could happen to any of them, and likely happened to some of them.
Leaking a game in development is one thing, but letting loose the personal data of individuals is like throwing blood in the water. No one deserves that just for making video games. I empathize with that at the very least.

HL3.exe

Cringy? There are business strategies at play, big-time money involving millions of dollars. What are you on about?

The film industry is also a trillion dollar industry and at the same time way more open and collaborative instance in exchange ideas and technology. Like multiple studios can work on one film, can you imagine that for games these days? With this open structure comes the benefit of knowing what is in production or on-hold, who is involved, etc.

Meanwhile, the games Industry treats its audience like children, treating workers like replaceable cattle (that's why there is a enormous amount of 'brain-drain' in that industry) and thinks player retention is more important than creating a good/unique/meaningful experience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The film industry is also a trillion dollar industry and at the same time way more open and collaborative instance in exchange ideas and technology. Like multiple studios can work on one film, can you imagine that for games these days? With this open structure comes the benefit of knowing what is in production or on-hold, who is involved, etc.

Meanwhile, the games Industry treats its audience like children, treating workers like replaceable cattle (that's why there is a enormous amount of 'brain-drain' in that industry) and thinks player retention is more important than creating a good/unique/meaningful experience.
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

Darsxx82

The leak wasn’t cool. Spoiled the hell out of Wolverine and blew open their future projects for the remainder of the decade. And that’s not even getting into the threats on employees.

The early GTA VI leak wasn’t cool either, but it was nowhere near as big as Insomniac being blown wide open.
Capcom was also attacked and exposed the entire company, workers and a large number of Studios...... Nvidia Leak too..... Where were those condolences and concern??

Insomniac does not deserve what has happened to it, we all agree. Hopefully this becomes a turning point and the same reaction is seen in future leaks (regardless of their origin) because they all do the same damage. Does anyone believe that the MS leaks have not damaged the work, strategies and even image of so many Studios and devs?

The fact is that most of these reactions simply have more to do with the hipocrite reaction of those who do not want to bite the hand of the one who feeds them or from whom you get your exclusives to maintain the number of visits or subscribers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
these hacks are awful for businesses. Every business. It's a major risk and can happen to any business, just that it is usually not publicized in this way. Look at the MOVEit hack and all the stuff going on with this.

But I also think that gamers love this stuff because these companies are so, so secretive.

Last edited:

They are not:
nQl2bw5.jpg

L322SoZ.jpg

mGKtK3b.jpg

gX8Zuql.jpg

Context: The film industry put restrictions on what movies are eligible for awards. They see Netflix as a big threat

Disney grabbing theaters by the balls:
aIdgSRU.jpg
BHGH1kq.jpg

They have exclusive contract with actors, directors and writers, etcetera

//DEVIL//

Sure. Let's condemn the hack on PlayStation. But when the Xbox stuff got leaked by an idiot at the FTC, every journalist and his ugly mother rushed to post the leak.

Way to go for double standards.

Unknown?

OMG. They finally leaked footage of a game being in dev for 3 years, sales figures of PS4 first party games and a release roadmap. WOW, what an injustice.

Get the fuck outta here. This is something the movie industry does at fucking comic con. They show what they are going to release the next half a decade or more. They release box office numbers because they are not ashamed to admit their failures or hide their successes like Sony did with Days Gone and DriveClub because they know they will catch flack from fans of those franchises.

And they release teasers, trailers, behind the scenes footage, and even hilariously bad Entertainment Weekly screenshot to keep their fanbase engaged. Because movies are supposed to be fun, and not a fucking state secret. 2.5 years after wolverine's reveal and not a single screenshot was shown to the fans?

Yeah, no sympathy for insomniac or sony here. its not like the source code was put out there. thats actual theft.

EDIT: Just remembered they also had their employees' personal information stolen. Thats different yes. Im only talking about how absolutely ridiculous sony is guarding their sales figures and roadmaps. Not to mention how silent they have been in the last few years in regards to upcoming games that have been in development for over 3.5 years.
I hope Sony cancels these games now and only announce future games the day of release because of info snobs like you.

Are you really happy to know sells numbers and games releasing in 2029? Pathetic!

FrankWza

From a violation or moral aspect, it's fucked up. From a business point of view, there's nothing damaging. It's pretty much all good behind the curtain and the forecast looks fantastic. Wolverine is going to be great

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sure. Let's condemn the hack on PlayStation. But when the Xbox stuff got leaked by an idiot at the FTC, every journalist and his ugly mother rushed to post the leak.

where are the double standards, everyone is reporting on this leak too

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are not:
nQl2bw5.jpg

L322SoZ.jpg

mGKtK3b.jpg

gX8Zuql.jpg

Context: The film industry put restrictions on what movies are eligible for awards. They see Netflix as a big threat

Disney grabbing theaters by the balls:
aIdgSRU.jpg
BHGH1kq.jpg

And game developers collab with many many studios as well. Especially on big AAA projects.

I hate it that some posters making a consolewar thing of this, the leaks of the future projects of Insomniac are irrelevant. The main point is that all personal information of all the employees where hacked.
And that the hackers where asking millions of dollars ore they would put al that information out there for everyone to see is deeply disquisting.
Thats a crime in my eyes and does hackers only belong in one place...in jail.
When i see Rand al Thor and Colt Eastwood and other diehard xbox
YouTube channels use this to fuel the consolewars makes me vomit.
But...thats just me....

HL3.exe

And game developers collab with many many studios as well. Especially on big AAA projects.
Comprehensive reading in effect. Individual game developers ≠ game studios. I can name one: crystal dynamics helping on Perfect Dark. And it was big news in how irregular it is.

Contracting creators ≠ parenting game-mechanics and tech.

It's like if one film made a new camera specifically for one film or company, but keep that tech for themselves. Competition is health, gating off concept however is not.

Last edited:

GHG

No one in the industry showed support for MS when they accidentally posted their own unredacted documents. Sure it was an accident but the pain hurts just the same ... 🥲. Some wounds dont show bruises.

Microsoft doxxed themselves.

It's a bit different lad.

You might want to fact check yourself here. The information you seek is linked in this very thread.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Comprehensive reading in effect. Individual game developers ≠ game studios. I can name one: crystal dynamics helping on Perfect Dark. And it was big news in how irregular it is.
Activision with Bungie.

Every Sony AAA this gen and last have had many studios involved.

It is way more common than you think. Except, these are verifiable studios, not shell production companies set up with each new Hollyweird laundering project.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Activision with Bungie.

Every Sony AAA this gen and last have had many studios involved.

It is way more common than you think. Except, these are verifiable studios, not shell production companies set up with each new Hollyweird laundering project.
You're right. I thought all studios helping out where bought in, meaning sold to mother company. Even outsource companies for generating assets is usually by bought out companies in india, but not always. I stand corrected.

//DEVIL//

where are the double standards, everyone is reporting on this leak too
No this is not true.

They are only reporting that they have been hacked and some docs are leaked. But not in details . Especially on the big sites. This wasn't the case when the Xbox stuff got leaked.

I get it, one is hacking and the other is a user error ( regardless from FTC or MS or Spencer's mom). But doesn't change what is being leaked is supposed to be a secret.

Last edited:
I guess we can expect all these pundits who complained about "think of developers" not to cover any future leaks. Right?

again there’s a difference between a leak and a ransomware attack… I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand for some people
And we once again can bring Capcom as an example where it was exactly the same thing as now and everything was extensively covered. Same with CDPR. It is hilarious how IGN and Kotaku showed more integrity (clickbait integrity) than KF, VGC etc.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I guess we can expect all these pundits who complained about "think of developers" not to cover any future leaks. Right?

And we once again can bring Capcom as an example where it was exactly the same thing as now and everything was extensively covered. Same with CDPR. It is hilarious how IGN and Kotaku showed more integrity (clickbait integrity) than KF, VGC etc.
It's hard to not see the response as anything other than favoritism to a brand based on the coverage of previous ransomware leaks. It's embarrassing to the jndustry.

Personally not a fan of leaks. I'd rather be surprised by an unexpected announcement rather than knowing everything 20 years into the future

But then again, knowing what's coming gives you a good idea of whether it's worth it to invest in a platform. After all, a console's an investment 🤔

Still, don't like leaks. Would like more info from Sony themselves regarding upcoming games

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's hard to not see the response as anything other than favoritism to a brand based on the coverage of previous ransomware leaks. It's embarrassing to the jndustry.
Sony would probably blacklist them as well. Its pretty obvious there will be no consistency. People should just acknowledge how stupid they look and move on. They will all continue covering any other leaks, here and in the media.

Contracting creators ≠ parenting game-mechanics and tech.

It's like if one film made a new camera specifically for one film or company, but keep that tech for themselves. Competition is health, gating however off concept is not.
oh boy.The film industry is know for that.
multiples companies develop their own techniques and technology that only they used. and over the years have been "warz" regarding the implementation of certain techniques and technologies. Even legal disputes between studios.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
OMG. They finally leaked footage of a game being in dev for 3 years, sales figures of PS4 first party games and a release roadmap. WOW, what an injustice.

Get the fuck outta here. This is something the movie industry does at fucking comic con. They show what they are going to release the next half a decade or more. They release box office numbers because they are not ashamed to admit their failures or hide their successes like Sony did with Days Gone and DriveClub because they know they will catch flack from fans of those franchises.

And they release teasers, trailers, behind the scenes footage, and even hilariously bad Entertainment Weekly screenshot to keep their fanbase engaged. Because movies are supposed to be fun, and not a fucking state secret. 2.5 years after wolverine's reveal and not a single screenshot was shown to the fans?

Yeah, no sympathy for insomniac or sony here. its not like the source code was put out there. thats actual theft.

EDIT: Just remembered they also had their employees' personal information stolen. Thats different yes. Im only talking about how absolutely ridiculous sony is guarding their sales figures and roadmaps. Not to mention how silent they have been in the last few years in regards to upcoming games that have been in development for over 3.5 years.

The only thing that sucked was the employee's personal information being stolen. That's super bad. The other stuff has only been good leaks. It'll help Sony and Insomniac long term.

The Stig

this is probably a stupid question but what harm has been done here other than *HYPE INTENSIFIES* ?

edit - oh, personal information? thats not good.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There was so much concern posted here about the Capcom ransom.

23 posts
People playing themselves in this thread with the "poor MS" veil.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There was so much concern posted here about the Capcom ransom.

23 posts

yet another example of selective support from the 'game industry'.

1irVWP0.jpg

Top Bottom