• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Industry Condemns Insomniac Hack and Shows Support for Spider-Man Devs

Topher

Gold Member
yet another example of selective support from the 'game industry'.

1irVWP0.jpg

The "game industry" isn't a collective or a hive mind. The article in the OP is comprised of various individuals and studios feeling the need to express sympathy towards Insomniac. I don't see any problem with that.

I would have thought there were a ton of posts here on GAF about Capcom after reading this thread, but no.....not so much.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The "game industry" isn't a collective or a hive mind. The article in the OP is comprised of various individuals and studios feeling the need to express sympathy towards Insomniac. I don't see any problem with that.

No it's not a hive mind, but some of the websites that are vowing not to talk about this leak (Gamespot, VGC, Kinda Funny) were happy to report things based on other leaks, Capcom's for example.

The double standard is weird. Either don't report on any leaks, or report on all of them.

And by reporting, obviously I'm not talking about spreading any personnel information that may have come out, only the gaming related things.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No it's not a hive mind, but some of the websites that are vowing not to talk about this leak (Gamespot, VGC, Kinda Funny) were happy to report things based on other leaks, Capcom's for example.

The double standard is weird. Either don't report on any leaks, or report on all of them.

And by reporting, obviously I'm not talking about spreading any personnel information that may have come out, only the gaming related things.

Gamespot did report on the leak

So did VGC

I can't speak to Kinda Funny, but where is the double standard with these two outlets?

Either way, the OP isn't talking about media coverage at all.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

So did VGC

I can't speak to Kinda Funny, but where is the double standard with these two outlets?

Either way, the OP isn't talking about media coverage at all.
There is no analysis of what was in the leaks in their reporting.

Last edited:

adamsapple

So did VGC

I'm not talking about reporting that a leak may have happened.

I'm talking about posting things about games, dates etc that come out of leaks. The Capcom/Gamespot example is egregious, they're directly talking about the game names and dates that were part of the leaks.

Gamespot:

VGC:

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Companies who don't take cybersecurity serioulsy put everyone at risk. Seems like Sony hasn't leared much from PS3 era hack....

Topher

Gold Member
There is no analysis of what was in the leaks in their reporting.

I'm not talking about reporting that a leak may have happened.

I'm talking about posting things about games, dates etc that come out of leaks. The Capcom/Gamespot example is egregious, they're directly talking about the game names and dates that were part of the leaks.

Gamespot:

VGC:

Ok....fair point, but isn't that also being selective in pointing to a handful of outlets while claiming them to be examples of the "gaming industry" being "selective"? Can't have it both ways. If the point here was just to highlight specific instances of outlets being inconsistent then fine, but can't use this to paint with a broad brush while outlets like IGN are giving full details.

Either way, like I said, the article isn't about media coverage at all. Why people like Corey Barlog expressing sympathy over this to an fellow Sony studio is controversial.....someone please explain that one to me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There was so much concern posted here about the Capcom ransom.

23 posts
CTRL-F adamsapple adamsapple

Your Capcom concern is noted.
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Is it not okay for standards and beliefs to evolve over time? If Kinda Funny and others have evolved their stance on this and have decided it's not appropriate to publicize, then I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Now, if another hack happened 6 months from now and they reported all the leaks from that, I'd agree that it's time to bring out the pitchforks.

Last edited:

Reallink

again there’s a difference between a leak and a ransomware attack… I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand for some people
Yeah in one instance a rogue employee breaks mountains of nda's, steals company materials, and illegally gives it to his journalist buddies. In the other a teenager steals it from his bedroom and tries to sell it or just releases it. Big difference /s.

The personal data angle is stupid as obviously nobody's going to report on or publish that information, but taking a moral high horse stance on the game and business materials just goes to show you "games industry/journalists" are just PR mouthpieces for Sony, publishers, et. al.

adamsapple

CTRL-F adamsapple adamsapple

Your Capcom concern is noted.
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

I wasn't posting on GAF in 2020 so .. 🤷‍♂️

Is it not okay for standards and beliefs to evolve over time? If Kinda Funny and others have evolved their stance on this and have decided it's not appropriate to publicize, then I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Now, if another hack happened 6 months from now and they reported all the leaks from that, I'd agree that it's time to bring out the pitchforks.

To be fair, some of the examples (like Kinda funny) is just a year old, we're not talking about something that happened 4~ years ago like Capcom.
So some cases, I can see your point, but in others, it's way too recent to not point out.

-

This motherfucker right here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Personally I find that to be a very naive interpretation but none of us can read their minds. US gaming journalists dehumanized Japanese devs for a decade during the 360 era of East vs West. What it exposed is that there's a vast gulf between devs they have met and are friends with in California and follow on Twitter, and Japanese devs they cant communicate with or meet. Part of it makes sense but the bias gets way out of control at times, like it did back then until Gamergate.

And we know some publishers blacklist for covering stuff like this which is what I suspect happened or was at least hinted at. Bethesda blacklisted Kotaku years ago for something like that I believe and Nintendo has blacklisted for piracy articles too. All of that is fairly logical but the moral high horse tone is the hypocrisy angle. I doubt their morals have evolved. A leak is a free payday of headlines and clicks and surely they will keep covering them in the future.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

It didn't evolve over time. It happened in one day because of one developer and one publisher.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
To be fair, some of the examples (like Kinda funny) is just a year old, we're not talking about something that happened 4~ years ago like Capcom.
So some cases, I can see your point, but in others, it's way too recent to not point out.

-

This motherfucker right here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Personally I find that to be a very naive interpretation but none of us can read their minds. US gaming journalists dehumanized Japanese devs for a decade during the 360 era of East vs West. What it exposed is that there's a vast gulf between devs they have met and are friends with in California and follow on Twitter, and Japanese devs they cant communicate with or meet. Part of it makes sense but the bias gets way out of control at times, like it did back then until Gamergate.

And we know some publishers blacklist for covering stuff like this which is what I suspect happened or was at least hinted at. Bethesda blacklisted Kotaku years ago for something like that I believe and Nintendo has blacklisted for piracy articles too. All of that is fairly logical but the moral high horse tone is the hypocrisy angle. I doubt their morals have evolved. A leak is a free payday of headlines and clicks and surely they will keep covering them in the future.

I do largely agree with both of you.

Not reporting on the details of these hacks/leaks does nothing anyway, as we all know the information will be easily accessible whether Kinda Funny and others report on it or not. In the end it's really just virtue signalling so they can claim moral superiority while really sacrificing nearly nothing. So... 🤷‍♂️

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
The same game industry that paid to actually hack rockstar few years ago? Another pathetic attempt of having the moral high ground while also virtue signaling.

adamsapple

What are you concerned about today?

Your improper usage of the word concern, for starters.

I'm not the one who reported on things out of X leak but refuse to report things out of Y leak, that's ya boy Greg, among others.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Your improper usage of the word concern, for starters.

I'm not the one who reported on things out of X leak but refuse to report things out of Y leak, that's ya boy Greg, among others.
Not my boy, I forgot that bitch-made creampuff existed until you brought him in here.

Keep going, though. Tie yourselves into knots of concern about 'games industry™'

adamsapple

Keep going, though. Tie yourselves into knots of concern about 'games industry™'

What a weird thing to say to someone whose simply pointing out the hypocrisy from these websites and asking for similar coverage on all cases regardless of which company the leaks are out of. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What a weird thing to say to someone whose simply pointing out the hypocrisy from these websites and asking for similar coverage on all cases regardless of which company the leaks are out of. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
So go email Greg and tell him to step up his game.

While you're at it, keep that same energy for those fan run sites as well. I guess we need a Phil Spencer tweet showing Insomniac support to change this weeks crusade of what is really a nothing burger from a few partner studio tweets.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So go email Greg and tell him to step up his game.

While you're at it, keep that same energy for those fan run sites as well. I guess we need a Phil Spencer tweet showing Insomniac support to change this weeks crusade of what is really a nothing burger from a few partner studio tweets.
I doubt that's the case. You can show Insomniac support while also doing your job as a journalist. A Phil tweet supporting Insomniac would mean nothing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I doubt that's the case. You can show Insomniac support while also doing your job as a journalist. A Phil tweet supporting Insomniac would mean nothing.
Calling Greg a journalist? Come on, son.

I don't see why this thread is causing so much angst. Well, I do. Names and their patterns, ofc.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

I don't see why this thread is causing so much angst. Well, I do. Names and their patterns, ofc.
It's because we see the obvious double standards. You're a fool if you don't see them.

EDIT: Also, Greg's take is pretty obvious. GameSpot should be embarassed, though.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The only angst here is your last couple of posts, relax my man lol.

No one gave a shit about reporting the Capcom leak, the Xbox leak, the GTA leak etc. Pointing out these websites like Gamestop, VGC and even Greg saying they won't do coverage of the things out of these leaks,w hen they were happy to do so before, is not angst.

EDIT: Also, Greg's take is pretty obvious. GameSpot should be embarassed, though.

Videogamechronicles as well. Andy had no issues reporting on leaked Street Fighter VI rosters etc when that happened.

But now he's saying he won't be reporting on it, yes of course no one wants to report on people's personal information but you can talk about the gaming stuff.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The leak wasn’t cool. Spoiled the hell out of Wolverine and blew open their future projects for the remainder of the decade. And that’s not even getting into the threats on employees.

The early GTA VI leak wasn’t cool either, but it was nowhere near as big as Insomniac being blown wide open.
The personal data leak is a bad thing any way you look at it.

But seriously, imagine spending the next 6 years getting excited at any news from Insomniac and finding out it’s another Marvel game. This way a lot of people can be at peace until the next decade.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The personal data leak is a bad thing any way you look at it.

But seriously, imagine spending the next 6 years getting excited at any news from Insomniac and finding out it’s another Marvel game. This way a lot of people can be at peace until the next decade.
Ain't this the truth...

At least there is a new IP and Ratchet somewhere down the line.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's because we see the obvious double standards. You're a fool if you don't see them.

Ofc I see the double standards. This has been a thing in a team sports run toy industry since day zero.

But there is also selective noticing of said posters as well and when they choose to go hard in the paint or not. Bet.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Really? Guess they're in the same camp as Equifax, FBI, and others. Anything on the web should be considered unsecured.
Basically. Some put more effort, money and recourses on enhancing their cybersecurity more so than others. Certain companies are known for their strong cybersecurity measures and a commitment to safeguarding their systems like Apple, Tesla, IBM etc. You can be sure that they are constantly targeted by hackers, no serious breach yet from what know. Either way, Sony needs to put more money and recourses on securing its systems one way or the other.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe instead of wasting money on AAA games they will invest in better security measures so they can prevent another data breach of this magnitude. Should never have happened.

On that note as a gamer I'd prefer they shared roadmaps for each developer so gamers know what's on the pipeline so we can plan purchases ahead of time.

Journalists/Reporters should report on all gaming news. A huge data breach would be a rather large headline and any reputable news source would be reporting on it impartially. Not only would it be a huge article but it would spread awareness that this isn't ok.

But as we all know most Journalists are just bloggers and have very little integrity or standards and are generally filled with misinformation and are therefore unreliable. The days of Andriasang are long over.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Ofc I see the double standards. This has been a thing in a team sports run toy industry since day zero.

But there is also selective noticing of said posters as well and when they choose to go hard in the paint or not. Bet.
Of course, there is bias at play with posters here. It's obvious you love you some PlayStation and I love me some Xbox. I think there is a point where you can step back and see something is up here, though. It's clear that there is some favoritism going on with either Sony or Insomniac (likely due to legit personal relationships), and it's embarrassing for a lot of these so-called reporters. We already know their ethics are compromised when it comes to politically oriented behavior, but now we're seeing it plain as day with brand favoritism as well. And before you say it's a console wars, thing... I'm not going to use the Xbox leak as some kind of standard to compare things.

Top Bottom