• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on compatible accessories and peripherals for PlayStation 5

Redlancet

Banned
Try actually reading the article:

Obviously they're trying to push the new controllers by cutting off support for DS4 in new games, but other peripherals aren't in the same boat because they have no official replacement to push.
Its increíble people just got mad without reading the article

Banned
Adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. Leaving the DS4 behind will hopefully push devs to use the new features.

SPOILER: they won't...

what will happen is that at first Ubisoft and maybe one or two other publishers will use the triggers in launch window titles, and as time goes on less and less will actually care and will just standardize their controller support for cross Plattform games, meaning the touchpad will once again be a giant select button, the triggers will be used like normal triggers, and the HD rumble will be used like any normal rumble.

even on Switch HD rumble is barely used to any dramatic effect these days, many new games don't even support the touchscreen for menus anymore even tho they have PC versions, meaning the menus are optimised for pointer input.

honestly, making DS4 controllers not compatible across the board is kinda shitty IMO, let the developers decide which controllers they support and which ones they don't.
or does anyone really think that FIFA21 will use the dual sense controller to such an extend that it would be a dramatic difference to playing on a Dualshock 4? no it fucking won't... neither will Call of Duty or any other third party game.

and I also bet that many games that actually will support the adaptive triggers will have options to turn them off... hell I even bet that almost every Sony game will have such options 🤣 they're so big into accessibility option that they let you turn on aim bots in their games for crying out loud, so of course they will have options to turn off adaptive triggers.
just imagine if someone who has a disability that makes it impossible for them to press down the triggers if the game makes them too hard to push down. of course they will let you turn that off... they are the woke brigade US centered Sony now, can't have that ableist filth in our games without the option to turn it off!

Last edited:
Have PS controllers ever been forward compatible? Why would Sony change their stance?
PlayStation controllers were able to be used on PlayStation 2. And the inverse for PS4/PS3, you can use a Dualshock 4 on PS3 though compatibility isn't 100%.

They said "first party" accesories would work, whatever they consider first party nobody knows.
I'd assume 1st party means only Sony branded accessories. Though I imagine that licensed stuff would still work. If not there will be a Brook adapter or the like especially for arcade sticks/wheels.

Last edited:
I'd like to know this.

I'd also like to know if DualSense could work for PS4 games being played on PS5.

You're right. There is nothing stopping it from working with PS4 games being played on the PS5. Go back and read the blog post again.
Does it work with PS5 games on the PS5 like the X1 controller works with Xbox Series X games?

splattered

Oops here is the thread.

I have a feeling they're doing this because dualsense controllers are going to be very expensive and they dont want everyone just buying the cheaper dualshock controllers.

Question is though, are they going to offer a 1st party controller minus the worthless gimmicks for a more appealing price point?

That would make all of this a moot point, I hope they do decide to go that way.

So glad you are a Xbox fanboy that will never buy a PS5 in the future. Glad you have a company that you can support that doesn't believe in advancing games into the future.
It says more about you being mad that i might possibly buy the same console as you at some point. Honestly, you're bordering on pathetic with automatically labeling me as a "fanboy" while not actually proving me wrong.

Also "Glad you have a company that you can support that doesn't believe in advancing games into the future." lmao. Except em, you seen Flight Sim recently? That's actually advancing games. I'll prove it too by asking you to show me a game thats anywhere close to it graphically and technically? Wasn't the touchpad supposed to make gaming better too?

Mmnow

Oops here is the thread.

I have a feeling they're doing this because dualsense controllers are going to be very expensive and they dont want everyone just buying the cheaper dualshock controllers.

Question is though, are they going to offer a 1st party controller minus the worthless gimmicks for a more appealing price point?

That would make all of this a moot point, I hope they do decide to go that way.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point.

Im certain there will be third party Madcatz style controller's licenced by Sony, probably without all the bells and whistles, that'll make this more annoying and prove your point

Agent X

The DualSense has fancy feedback, what it doesn't have is any sort of new input that new games might demand.

Wrong.

How does getting new things prevent the old thing from working?

How does forcing Dualsense help with, say, Kena? Or Valhalla? Or the vast majority of games that'll have Dualshock 4 support elsewhere?

Officially, the answer at the moment is "no", but unofficially, we don't know yet.

From my experience with Sony systems over the years, there's a fair chance that the DualShock 4 will be usable with any PS5 games that don't require the new DualSense features, in much the same way that PS1 controllers could be used with PS2 games that didn't require the added DualShock 2 functions (pressure sensitive buttons).

Historically speaking, of the current three console manufacturers, Sony has by far the best track record of allowing players to carry over their controllers and other peripherals from the prior generation to a new one.

Does it work with PS5 games on the PS5 like the X1 controller works with Xbox Series X games?

No, but there's also significantly more controller innovation with DualSense over DualShock 4, compared with Microsoft's controllers.

Also, see what I just wrote to M Mmnow above.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I LOVE Jeffy Grub Grub, but it's plain flat out WRONG here. Console generations have existed for 35 years!!!! All of a sudden MS wants to shake things up and go generationless and now smart people are even falling for the trick. Yes, MS doesn't care about generations anymore and that's cool for them. But lets STOP acting as if what Sony is doing is any different from what consoles have been like for 35 years!

Plus like everyone is saying...........the PS5 COMES WITH A PS5 CONTROLLER!

Banned
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point.

Im certain there will be third party Madcatz style controller's licenced by Sony, probably without all the bells and whistles, that'll make this more annoying and prove your point

yeah, this is absolute just a move to sell new controllers, that's all it is.

like I already said, I bet Sony will also let you turn off all the new features even in games that use them, due to their obsessiveness with accessibility options.

the way they push accessibility stuff in their options menus will not allow them to actually use adaptive triggers to any extend that would be essential to a game's design. because they will let you turn it off in every game they release, that's pretty much a given.

they already let you turn off mashing buttons, let you turn on literally aim bots and disable AI behaviour that might be too challenging for some.

so of course they will let you turn off adaptive triggers that might make it hard for some people with certain illnesses or disabilities to play the game.

someone who has some muscle related disability that can't push down the trigger hard enough of course needs an accessibility option to turn off adaptive triggers that make the tension on the rigger too high for them to press it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Bullshit, what new input? The adaptive triggers aren't the same as pressure sensitive buttons in the PS2, they're just adding resistance feedback. The DS4 has triggers too, they aren't binary inputs.

I also don't know how your experience with Sony system trumps Sony themselves outright telling you they aren't going to work.

Mmnow

Wrong.

Officially, the answer at the moment is "no", but unofficially, we don't know yet.

From my experience with Sony systems over the years, there's a fair chance that the DualShock 4 will be usable with any PS5 games that don't require the new DualSense features, in much the same way that PS1 controllers could be used with PS2 games that didn't require the added DualShock 2 functions (pressure sensitive buttons).

Historically speaking, of the current three console manufacturers, Sony has by far the best track record of allowing players to carry over their controllers and other peripherals from the prior generation to a new one.

No, but there's also significantly more controller innovation with DualSense over DualShock 4, compared with Microsoft's controllers.

If that's true, thats great. But I don't think "wait and see" is the right reaction to this when it makes so little sense from a consumer perspective.

If its crap, and it is, we should say its crap.

Wrong.

Yes, all the innovation you have yet to use or see in action outside of a few marketing spots. I'll reserver judgment and wait to see what i can do and its price. Still your comment is an absolute joke, the Elite controllers and Adaptive controller are far more "innovative" than the DS5. Better rumble and artificial pressure behind the triggers is more innovative than letting disabled gamers enjoy their time playing games? Jesus christ, even the Elite makes the DS5 seem pale in comparison.

Its not even a discussion....

mckmas8808

Yes, all the innovation you have yet to use or see in action outside of a few marketing spots. I'll reserver judgment and wait to see what i can do and its price. Still your comment is an absolute joke, the Elite controllers and Adaptive controller are far more "innovative" than the DS5. Better rumble and artificial pressure behind the triggers is more innovative than letting disabled gamers enjoy their time playing games? Jesus christ, even the Elite makes the DS5 seem pale in comparison.

Its not even a discussion....

How much is MS paying you? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
But lets STOP acting as if what Sony is doing is any different from what consoles have been like for 35 years!

Plus like everyone is saying...........the PS5 COMES WITH A PS5 CONTROLLER!

Except PS1 controllers did actually work with the majority of PS2 games. They just said "fuck it, try it and if it works, it works, we won't arbitrarily shut off support".

And again, one PS5 controller. So if I want to play Sackboy with my girlfriend I need to buy an extra £60 controller just so she can feel the HD rumble? What a crock of shit.

Banned
I'm just going to go ahead and report you, you're just annoying and cant actually debunk my claims without throwing in "fanboy" or "shill" because how dare someone speak highly of Xbox over PS!? HOW DARE YOU!?
giphy.webp

Shambala

Except PS1 controllers did actually work with the majority of PS2 games. They just said "fuck it, try it and if it works, it works, we won't arbitrarily shut off support".

And again, one PS5 controller. So if I want to play Sackboy with my girlfriend I need to buy an extra £60 controller just so she can feel the HD rumble? What a crock of shit.
Girlfriend 😂😂 ok

Banned
it is telling how stupid some people are that there are that many on here that actually think this is a good thing or even attempt to defend it.

can't make this shit up man, reality is better than comedy these days.
MUH FAVOURITE PLASTIC BOX NEEDS PROTECTION AT ANY COST!

this is undefendable PERIOD
it is not the end of the world and it is obviously not the first time this happened, but you literally can't defend this. so stop.

EVERY game made by Sony will have accessibility options to turn off adaptive triggers.
they already let you turn off basically everything else, and this will also be one of those things in the future.

HD Rumble or whatever Sony calls it is a neat little feature but ultimately not essential to any game.

Third party controllers with missing features will be a thing and will be compatible, just like they were on PS4 and PS3 (tons of controllers out there with no touchpads on PS4 and no sixaxis on both PS3 and PS4)

so as I said. YOU CAN'T DEFEND THIS. this is A BAD THING and you can't twist it into something positive without ignoring all logic.

this is not the end of the world,
but it sucks and is unnecessary and absolutely a way for them to sell you new controllers. and that's a fact.

MrS

Banned
Build quality of DS4 is so poor that I doubt any of mine will make it to November. One of them already seems like the left analogue stick is on its way out. Hope Dualsense is a lot more robust than the pieces of shit we've had to use this gen. I've been through at least ten DS4s since 2013.

People don't want Sony making money from controllers now because Xbox is allowing forward comparability on their controllers.

Ya gotta remember, Sony doesn't have hundreds of billions like Microsoft does, they need to continue making money in every avenue possible.

Weird that nobody is pointing this out as just being a cash grab. There's no reason why the PS4 controller couldn't work on the PS5. Because they want devs to take advantage of the improved rumble features is the excuse? Come on. PS4 controller introduced the touchpad and not every game took advantage of that feature. Or the motion controls before that.

mckmas8808

Weird that nobody is pointing this out as just being a cash grab. There's no reason why the PS4 controller couldn't work on the PS5. Because they want devs to take advantage of the improved rumble features is the excuse? Come on. PS4 controller introduced the touchpad and not every game took advantage of that feature. Or the motion controls before that.

Who says the DS4 "won't" work on the PS5?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its not a cash grab, its mainly to relieve devs of having to support multiple controller types going forwards.

Its a software thing. Its why specialty controllers (wheels, arcade/flight sticks) will continue to work with titles designed to support them, as will PS4 legacy titles that are supported to run on PS5.

The headsets i get the 'sigh' to bluetooth headset incompatibility, but i dunno why people would be surprised about DS4 support.. It's a new generation, the new remotes have half a dozen new features that probably heavily influence gameplay design, I think it's pretty much as expected~
I think the big thing about the DS4 support is really no one "actually" knows how they differ, besides Geoff! But other than him, the dev's that have a DualSense and the PS people that have had hands on... no one really knows. They just see it and it looks like a fancier DS4, so why can't I use my old one?!?! Some people still have to be "sold" on it. It seems like there will be a "big" jump from DS4 to DualSense, but people won't know it till they actually try it. On the other hand, people will complain about anything especially if they don't know the benefits of the new one. But also, some people just like to complain even if they never plan on buying or using said product.

Crazy stuff, the PS4 controller won't work with PS5 games

In other BIG TIME news PS5 games won't work on PS4 hardware

Last edited:

Mmnow

Crazy stuff, the PS4 controller won't work with PS5 games

In other BIG TIME news PS5 games won't work on PS4 hardware

I love this. It proves how ridiculous anybody defending this actually is.

Because if you'd have written "in other BIG TIME news, PS4 games won't work on PS5 hardware" - which is the actual comparison here - suddenly you have the most popular choice in that State of Play poll earlier, and you'd have been laughed out of here for knocking a hugely popular expectation of next-gen consoles.

So flip it. That'll show 'em! Nobody is saying PS5 games SHOULD work on PS4, but still.

Its not a cash grab, its mainly to relieve devs of having to support multiple controller types going forwards.

Developers have to support multiple controller types anyway. Multiplat engines probably make this stuff relatively easy to manage. You'll be able to play multiplat titles and possibly even PS5 games on PC with your Dualshock 4, you just won't be able to do it on PS5.

That's why it's a cash grab.

AV

Not being supported =/= doesn't work at all

So much concern trolling in this thread...
Who says the DS4 "won't" work on the PS5?

C0JM8ex.png

What are you smoking? Where can I get some?

You're right, we should ignore what Sony themselves say on their blog and just assume they're making it up. It's not like they have full control over the system and are doing this to push new hardware with zero new inputs.

Top Bottom