• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe console sales in 2023: PS5 #1 (+177%), NSW #2 (-10%), XBS (-18%)

xiskza

PlayStation 5 sales surged 177% across Europe

Across tracked European markets, 7.4 million video game consoles were sold in 2023, which is a rise of nearly 42% over the year before.

This is mostly due to the PS5, which saw a 177% increase in sales year-on-year. PS5 suffered severe stock issues during 2022.
PS5 was far and away the biggest console of the year. Nintendo Switch holds the No.2 spot, with sales dipping nearly 10% over the year befor

Another platform that saw big growth was PlayStation 4. Again, this console was in short supply in 2022, and as a result sales are up 671% in 2023.
In terms of accessories, 20.5 million peripherals were sold in Europe last year, a rise of 9% year-on-year. The PS5 DualSense controller leads the pack, followed by Microsoft's Xbox Series Wireless controller.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I've said it before, but Microsoft have the financial muscle to increase sales. All they need is some hyper aggressive console bundles.

Something like the Series S for £199 with six months of GP thrown in.

Flabagast

I've said it before, but Microsoft have the financial muscle to increase sales. All they need is some hyper aggressive console bundles.

Gamepass is a dead end

Bernoulli

M2 slut
In terms of platforms, PC was No.1 in terms of game sales, ahead of PS5 (No.2), Switch (No.3), PS4 (No.4) and Xbox Series S and X (No.5). Out of those five, Switch and PS4 were the only platforms to post a drop in game sales year-on-year.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

PS5 almost tripling its sales while Xbox drops 18%, 2024 will be even worse...and that PS4 continues to sell more software than Xbox...I am not surprised by this change in strategy and becoming third party sooner rather than later.

MrTired

That would do anything substantial when since the shortages of Series X had been resolved the Series X has consistently outsold the Series S by a substantial amount. And even with £100-£150 price disparity between the Xbox Series X and PS5 the PS5 comfortable sold more.

From the document leaked from the FTC case we know they were losing 100-200 dollars per unit and that before the price cut for the holiday. How much more aggressive can they, remember they went with the two SKU because they couldn't find a way of dropping the price of the console as is the case in previous gen without sustaining unreasonable losses.

SkylineRKR

Free games on gamepass?

That's still 10 bucks per month

10 is not even possible I think. I see 7 bucks for 25 games, or 15 for the complete deal.

I'd rather pick up some games I actually want to play. In fact I do. I sometimes buy Xbox games on sale, even if they're on GP. No rush in playing them and no recurring fee. Gamepass is a catch 22.

Fake

There are still games launching on base PS4 this year and the 641% sales boost proves that.

What a missed oportunity of making a portable PS4.

Saber

Gold Member
All of Microsoft's Xbox customers have gone to PC in Europe.

It was always the sensible thing to do so I'm not surprised in the slightest.

I am actually. I mean, all that noise people were saying about Starfield moving up their consoles and stuff, I'm honestly waiting for that. The next one in line to use the same premise will be Elder Scroll I presume, but I think we're like what? 6~7 years for it to be released.

Its an unpopular opinion but thats consoles without exclusives right there. It would happen to any console company sooner or later.

I wouldn't say it's unpopular, just silly. Nintendo would certainly still retain their console market even without exclusives. No wonder everybody is copying Switch.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I am actually. I mean, all that noise people were saying about Starfield moving up their consoles and stuff, I'm honestly waiting for that. The next one in line to use that quote will be Elder Scroll I presume, but I think we're like what? 6~7 years for it to be released.

I wouldn't say it's unpopular, just silly. Nintendo would certainly still retain their console market even without exclusives. No wonder everybody is copying Switch.

Well switch is or at least was providing a unique experience on top of all their exclusive games.

If nintendo starts porting their games to steam you would have the same unique experience on the Deck. Probably most switch 2 games would run better on the Deck than on the switch 2.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Well switch is or at least was providing a unique experience on top of all their exclusive games.

If nintendo starts porting their games to steam you would have the same unique experience on the Deck. Probably most switch 2 games would run better on the Deck than on the switch 1.

They would never do that, as would be a dumb idea of devaluating their brand/stuff. And I honestly hope people would quit with the copium, because it's ridiculous at this point.

Fabieter

They would never do that, as would be a dumb idea of devaluating their brand/stuff. And I honestly hope people would quit with the copium, because it's ridiculous at this point.

Ofc they wouldn't because they know they make more money that way with exclusives at their high value pricing. They would lose alot if they drop exclusives.

Woopah

That's crazy for Xbox Series, I wonder how much higher (unit wise) Switch software would be if Nintendo digital was included.
Sony quite literally keeping console gaming alive.
Majority of Switch owners use it as he console for a large portion of their playtime.
I am actually. I mean, all that noise people were saying about Starfield moving up their consoles and stuff, I'm honestly waiting for that. The next one in line to use that quote will be Elder Scroll I presume, but I think we're like what? 6~7 years for it to be released.

Is this a scenario where Switch doesn't have Nintendo games, or ones where Nintendo games are also on other systems?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
All of Microsoft's Xbox customers have gone to PC in Europe.

It was always the sensible thing to do so I'm not surprised in the slightest.
Yes and I dont see any different happening if Sony decides to launch its games on Pc day one or maybe even 6 months later...of course it will take some time but it is a road with only one destination. Imho.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes and I dont see any different happening if Sony decides to launch its games on Pc day one or maybe even 6 months later...of course it will take some time but it is a road with only one destination. Imho.

Is it? Because it doesn't have to be that way. If Sony wants to slowly kill the Playstation brand, they'll do the bolded.

Top Bottom