• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ludostrie] In 2023, in France, PlayStation and Xbox sales are getting closer to a 90% / 10% ratio

Here's the relevant excerpt:
The problem is that it doesn't really take the path. The year 2023 is particularly catastrophic for Microsoft in terms of console sales. We previously mentioned the ratio of 80% / 20% for PlayStation and Xbox sales in Europe. But it gets worse: in 2023, in France, we are getting closer to a 90% / 10% ratio. That the Xbox Series shows a severe drop in its European sales in September 2023 compared to September 2022, despite improved supplies, the release of Starfield , and while PS5 sales explode, says a lot about the situation.
There's a lot more info in this French article so I strongly recommend giving it a read.

Who cares about France? Give me those freedom fries!!!
French Fries GIF by Netta

No surprise there. According to Microsoft themselves it's 80/20 accross Europe and its probably getting worse for them. Even in the US its almost 2 to 1 so far this year and its usually alot closer there. Last year xbox was quite close. They fell off a cliff this year.

PanzerCute

Who cares about France? Give me those freedom fries!!!
French Fries GIF by Netta
We talk every week about the UK, which is about the same size as the French video game market, so why would it not matter?

France is 7th biggest video game market in the world.

We are obviously dwarves compared to the US but still.
Xbox has never been popular in France (and Europe) not sure the situation is now much worse than before.
Xbox 360 was huge in France, but everything collapsed with the Xbox One disgrace.

Depends on which parts of America. Everyone holds disdain for Californians, even Californians.
Only thing I can tell you is that the "anti US" feeling in France is BS, except for some retarded leftists.

Dcr1d3r

Yeh that drop-off's pretty frightening...not quite sure what MS's end game is for the last 2 generations tbh... But whatever it is, it needs some stop gap bundles, deals or promotions to try and plug that ever increasing gap! Cmon MS FFS!!

We talk every week about the UK, which is about the same size as the French video game market, so why would it not matter?

France is 7th biggest video game market in the world.

We are obviously dwarves compared to the US but still.

Xbox 360 was huge in France, but everything collapsed with the Xbox One disgrace.

Only thing I can tell you is that the "anti US" feeling in France is BS, except for some retarded leftists.
I was just fuckin around. 7th biggest isn't bad.

gokurho

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Considering that PC market was 28%, mobile gaming was 26% and 46% was console gaming (mainly PS + Nintendo), it makes sense that Xbox's marketshare is low due to day 1 PC support.

Microsoft should continue to acquire more as lower market share gives them that opportunity.
So you want to lock more games to the platform with the smallest user base so people are forced to buy another piece of hardware they didn't need or want before? 😄

Please explain how that is friendly to gamers and not just for the benefits of a trillion dollar corporation?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is laughable.

Giving a bigger slice of the market to the business whose products consumers around the globe keep on rejecting is what you want for what reason exactly?
So you want to lock more games to the platform with the smallest user base so people are forced to buy another piece of hardware they didn't need or want before? 😄

Please explain how that is friendly to gamers and not just for the benefits of a trillion dollar corporation?

You would think at some point logic and reason would kick in for some that keep thinking that way...and yet.....

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Fake news based on the wrong metric. How many French people engaged with the possibility of buying an Xbox? That's the real engagement numbers conspicuously absent from the article.
Bro, when there were supposedly Xbox Series X shortage everywhere in the world you could find litteral towers of them in any big tech shops here in France. I bought mine like that. Except maybe for the 3-4 first months, there were never issues to buy SeX. The brand is not dead but in an abysmal shape here.

And that is sad tbh. I love my Xbox.
They are from Belgium, just BTW
No it is a French invention, I learned that not long ago which surprised me. But no one knows that in France (or care tbh) and we all say that its Belgian too. Like Kebab or burgers have technically been invented in germany but no one would say that they are german.

Last edited:
Yeh that drop-off's pretty frightening...not quite sure what MS's end game is for the last 2 generations tbh... But whatever it is, it needs some stop gap bundles, deals or promotions to try and plug that ever increasing gap! Cmon MS FFS!!
Transition off console for good. Its cloud and pc for next gen. Maybe a series s successor but thats it.

Killjoy-NL

The article is about the situation being worse than before.
Not directed towards you, but people should really watch that interview with Phil Spencer where he concedes to Playstation.

They lost last-gen and that was probably the decisive generation, due to the digital library people have been building and continue to build.

Xbox as a brand is nearing it's end, at least as we know it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just drop it already. This is embarrassing.
#NeverForget.

https://thisgengaming.com/2020/04/0...-xbox-have-a-plan-to-win-the-next-generation/

“I feel good about the price we’re going to be able to get to. I feel good about the price and the performance capabilities that we have for Series X. I feel incredibly strong about the overall package. We have a plan and we feel very solid about it. I believe we have a plan that can win [the next generation." -- Phil Spencer

(posting this in advance for when someone inevitably says, 'console sales do not matter to Microsoft now.')

onQ123

Not directed towards you, but people should really watch that interview with Phil Spencer where he concedes to Playstation.

They lost last-gen and that was probably the decisive generation, due to the digital library people have been building and continue to build.

Xbox as a brand is nearing it's end, at least as we know it.

But I'm the guy who told everyone Xbox as a Console brand was dying before this generation started

Fredrik

It’ll be even worse next year when PS5 Pro comes out and Microsoft won’t have their Pro and will just wait for next gen to arrive instead.
They’ll have some games in the coming years and Gamepass should fill up nicely from Activision Blizzard, but the longer it takes for the upcoming big 1st party games to arrive the less they’ll have ready for next generation just like what happened this gen.

Top Bottom