• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on compatible accessories and peripherals for PlayStation 5

Agent X

Because they want devs to take advantage of the improved rumble features is the excuse?

No...although that appeared to be Microsoft's excuse for why Xbox 360 controllers couldn't be used with Xbox One games on Xbox One, as there weren't any major changes otherwise.

Do Xbox 360 controllers even work with Xbox 360 games that are played on Xbox One? Serious question.

ManaByte

I have five total XBO controllers: Two base controllers, a white XBOS controller, the Project Scorpio XBX controller, and a Elite V1. I already use the white controller as my PC controller, but it's going to be nice to not have to buy any extra XSX controllers really.

C0JM8ex.png

What are you smoking? Where can I get some?

You're right, we should ignore what Sony themselves say on their blog and just assume they're making it up. It's not like they have full control over the system and are doing this to push new hardware with zero new inputs.
PS4 controllers will work with supported PS4 games on PS5 though according to the article.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No...although that appeared to be Microsoft's excuse for why Xbox 360 controllers couldn't be used with Xbox One games on Xbox One, as there weren't any major changes otherwise.

Do Xbox 360 controllers even work with Xbox 360 games that are played on Xbox One? Serious question.

It is. The rumble and the triggers, which aren't a new input.

And no, 360 pads don't work on the One, which is bullshit too.

PS4 controllers will work with supported PS4 games on PS5 though according to the article.

Didn't we learn that months ago? I'm talking specifically about the PS5 game limitation. I'd have expected PS4 games at the bare minimum to work, and I wouldn't be bothered if the DualSense had a new input that prevented DS4 from working on new shit.

If standard controller features are ever going to improve in the future I feel as though there will have to be some Geneva convention where dozens of companies can come together and put forward all the features and then come to some conclusion for the future.
You know like the USB people and the HDMI people. Need a people for a controller standard 5.1 that slowly gets upgraded over time.
These things matter. Or do people not want their phones to be able to connect to every wi fi router out there?

At least I can play ps4 games on the PS5 using my ps4 controller. That would be inline with my USB example above.
Problem with my way of thinking is companies will lose out on controller money. But just imagine if I could use my xbox elite controller with my ps5. That would be awsome.

Redlancet

Banned
I LOVE Jeffy Grub Grub, but it's plain flat out WRONG here. Console generations have existed for 35 years!!!! All of a sudden MS wants to shake things up and go generationless and now smart people are even falling for the trick. Yes, MS doesn't care about generations anymore and that's cool for them. But lets STOP acting as if what Sony is doing is any different from what consoles have been like for 35 years!

Plus like everyone is saying...........the PS5 COMES WITH A PS5 CONTROLLER!

jeff grub seems to love microsoft these days

Manji Uzuki

I dont really mind about the controller if that means they will use more the new features, but thanks god I will be able to keep using my arcade stick which I already use on Ps3 and 4

Agent X

Bullshit, what new input? The adaptive triggers aren't the same as pressure sensitive buttons in the PS2, they're just adding resistance feedback. The DS4 has triggers too, they aren't binary inputs.

There's a built-in microphone array, which wasn't present on DualShock 4 (although you could connect a microphone to it).

I'm also speculating here, but the motion controls might have improved accuracy compared to DS4.

Regarding the haptic/resistance: they are forms of output (rather than input), which again are not present on the DS4. In the case of the trigger tension, this could have a direct relationship with user input. If the designers intended those features as an integral part of their artistic vision for how the user is supposed to experience the game, then removing those features is effectively limiting the user experience.

There's a reason why driving game enthusiats prefer to pay extra for true force feedback steering wheels, rather than just getting the El Cheapo model with "rumble". Both of them technically have the same "inputs", but the force feedback is additive to the immersion and level of enjoyment.

I also don't know how your experience with Sony system trumps Sony themselves outright telling you they aren't going to work.

I already said that I recognize that the official answer is "no". I'm saying that in the past, Sony has often gone above and beyond the call of duty on these matters.

Even if Sony doesn't change their official stance, it's a safe bet that someone will try it anyway, and report their results (just like they've often done with PS3 controllers on PS4, and PS4 controllers on PS3). If it's still negative across the board, then we'll see if Sony patches in some level of support later.

Didn't we learn that months ago? I'm talking specifically about the PS5 game limitation. I'd have expected PS4 games at the bare minimum to work, and I wouldn't be bothered if the DualSense had a new input that prevented DS4 from working on new shit.

No, we didn't learn that months ago. There was no confirmation until today. On the contrary, I've seen some Sony detractors jump to the conclusion that DualShock 4 wouldn't work at all, and that you'd have to use DualSense controllers to play PS4 games.

The big unanswered now is if DualSense can be used with PS4 games, on either the PS4 system or the PS5 system.

B_Boss

What I absolutely do not understand....is why would Sony release the DS4 back attachment so relatively late in the PS4’s lifecycle only to not even have the option/accessory at the PS5’s launch?

Anyone think we have a DualSense back attachment incoming? It makes no sense to me but perhaps there’s a logical reason on Sony’s part. I hope to hell that Destiny 2 allows use of the DualShock 4...I mean it’s a BC game yes?, that’s PS5 enhanced of course.

I just want to use my BT headset for fuck's sake. My only complaint after the end of PS3 era. The worst is having to buy new fighting sticks (or adapters) with each new generation. I've grown to get attached to them.

cragarmi

In terms of DS4 support, the early devkits basically used a DS4. It really depends how they are gating the usage. If the DS4 is restricted to when using backwards compatibility modes, then any PS5 game will simply not be recognised when a DS4 is connected, but this poses a problem for a developer who wishes to provide a PS5 patch, multiple lines of code would be needed to just get it to work with either DS4 or DualSense. However if instead it is recognised but just not supported, it may function to a degree, but just not have official Sony support. I expect them to take the latter approach, in which case there would be nothing to stop a developer providing a DS4 profile for their game running in PS5 mode. I suspect some third party cross-gen games may still work using the DS4 on the PS5, as otherwise the developer would have to spend time removing this support from the PS5 edition of their software. So basically I feel some PS5 games will still work fine using a DS4, just lack official support. It's easier for Sony to just say it's not supported than to explain some may be, some may not, some may work in part, and others may not in the future if patched.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Developers have to support multiple controller types anyway. Multiplat engines probably make this stuff relatively easy to manage. You'll be able to play multiplat titles and possibly even PS5 games on PC with your Dualshock 4, you just won't be able to do it on PS5.

Its not about the engine or anything that technological, its purely about QA, specifically cert checking.

yurinka

I'm not 100% up to date on DualSense but I thought it was just an upgraded version of the DS4? What new capabilities does the DS5 have that the DS4 doesn't have besides the Create button?
The biggest change is the addition of a microphone.

Followed by the adaptative triggers and replacement rumble with haptic feedback. They also improved the integrated speaker and touchpad, but I understand they are very minor changes.

Other than that, create button replaces share button, they just renamed them so it isn't s real change.

PS5 is supposed to be a radical departure from PS4 (hence the console's flamboyant two-tone design), so the lack of DualShock 4 support isn't surprising.
DS4 will be supported on PS5, but for PS4 games.

There won't be many games that require a DualSense. All the 3rd party games will work with the Xbox One controller, Switch controller, many 3rd party controllers and only god knows with how many other controllers on Pc as well. Why shouldn't they work on PS5 with the DS4?
Because the PS5 pad is the DualSense, not the DS4, and they want you to buy their new product. Welcome to capitalism. At least this time they will support PS4 arcade sticks, wheels, etc. Something they never did before.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Makes sense, pretty clear they are eliminating the optical port.

Sucks for me, I was hoping my turtle Beach elite 800 would carry over. No dice

MrFunSocks

Banned
When has any console ever supported old controllers for new games? Why would anyone expect this?
The Series X does, every single accessory for the Xbox One works on the Series X. People were probably hoping the PS5 would do the same thing, at least for controllers, since there is nothing fundamentally different about them.

Last edited:

Shmunter

What I absolutely do not understand....is why would Sony release the DS4 back attachment so relatively late in the PS4’s lifecycle only to not even have the option/accessory at the PS5’s launch?

Anyone think we have a DualSense back attachment incoming? It makes no sense to me but perhaps there’s a logical reason on Sony’s part. I hope to hell that Destiny 2 allows use of the DualShock 4...I mean it’s a BC game yes?, that’s PS5 enhanced of course.
Once the game receives a PS5 patch it’s no longer a BC game. So seemingly kiss the ds4 goodbye once that happens. But can’t stop progress.

Am too surprised dualsense doesn’t have back buttons. Considered the attachment a glimpse into the next controller.

Myself I simply couldn’t get used to the back buttons and took it off, but for others, the situation is not so clear cut.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Don't worry. PS6 will be compatible with dual sense. Once MS puts a hurting on them this gen, Sony will do some consumer friendly things.

DavidGzz

What happened to the whole thing about how they hate console wars lol. What a joke. They have to respond to everything Sony does or say.

Fair play. If Sony can money hat a character and other exclusive DLC, MS can talk shit. It's free and effective. You show the benefit of your platform. No reason not to. Sony would do the same as they did with the used game video

Last edited:

IDappa

Sony believes in generations and don't care how anybody feels about it. It isn't anticonsumer, they believe in moving forward and leaving the old behind. All the advanced features which could help drive experiences forward are being championed with this decison

All those generation old advanced features. What is with people.. Making excuses for anti consumerism

Shmunter

All those generation old advanced features. What is with people.. Making excuses for anti consumerism
Don’t forget there are 2 types of consumers.

Those that perceive their new system getting the full might of the platform holders focus as a pro VS those that don’t value a new system focus and prefer things unchanged.

Depending on personal preference one of these approaches makes more sense.

Certainly for me unshackling from the past and eliminating weight of the technical dept is the preferred choice as it has the best chance for moving things forward and giving me what I value. Status quo does not inspire me.

In a nutshell, MS is anti consumer for a consumer like me, whereas Sony is pro consumer by aligning to my needs.

Last edited:
This is bullshit. There is no reason the ps4 controllers can't work with ps5 games outside greed. There goes my arcade sticks and mini controllers on future fighting games again. I guess I should but an adapter or jump ship next gen.

They really want people to buy those shitty "gamer" headphones rather than let their customers use their own bt headsets like the fucking Vita did.

Wii U.

The new controller is mostly the same, also running on similar tech. So it is more like why not?
PWNED Xd

Agent X

What happened to the whole thing about how they hate console wars lol. What a joke. They have to respond to everything Sony does or say.

Never mind that...what happened to Kinect?

Microsoft sure is trying their darndest to erase Kinect from history and pretend that it didn't exist.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every generation is an opportunity for businesses to ambush consumers with 3rd party accessories

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You stupid fucking idiot.

if you had the ability to read, and comprehend the info fed to you. You would realize that I am making a joke.

But your small tiny little mind, in your small tiny little skull, and the constipation that has lead to the shit inside you, building up day by day.

The poop just amassing, through your intestines, and stomach, up through your neck, ripping apart your insides. And eventually the shit builds up, and you vomit your own ass and dookie into a shit post for the ages.

The built up shit finally reaches out from your mouth, sand smears itself on your smart phone, stating the most low brow shit talking ever.

And as you are gagging on that shit, which is 80% Mountain Dew, 10% Papa Johns, and a combination of you drinking cum as a janitor at the local sperm bank for your protein needs...

ok I went a bit far.
That was aimed at MiyazakiHatesKojima, but in general I was just being as crude as possible. I have no problem with that dude or dudette. Just some late nite creative writing.

Banned
Don’t forget there are 2 types of consumers.

Those that perceive their new system getting the full might of the platform holders focus as a pro VS those that don’t value a new system focus and prefer things unchanged.

Depending on personal preference one of these approaches makes more sense.

Certainly for me unshackling from the past and eliminating weight of the technical dept is the preferred choice as it has the best chance for moving things forward and giving me what I value. Status quo does not inspire me.

In a nutshell, MS is anti consumer for a consumer like me, whereas Sony is pro consumer by aligning to my needs.

none of the features in the new controller will be essential to EVEN A SINGLE GAME that will ever release on PS5. and even if they were, you could then make an exception for those games instead of making the controller incompatible across the board.

also by the same logic Sony would need to ban every third party manufacturer to make controllers that don't have every single feature in the dual sense... and do you think that's gonna happen? do you think there will be Fight Sticks that have adaptive triggers, sixaxis and a touchpad? OR, or will we see third party controllers (including fight sticks) that will miss some or even all these features but will still work with PS5 games...?

but I guess a consumer like you can spin reality like they want in order to fit their narrative.

making the DS4 incompatible is anti consumer in every way. it's ridiculous how there are still shills out there defending this.

and we know this isn't a technology related thing, the PS5 is obviously compatible with the DualShock 4, they officially said it is, just arbitrarily not with PS5 games.

BUT GOOD! how else could Street Fighter 6 be truly next gen if you could play it with an old controller or my old fight sticks? right?

fucking ridiculous

Last edited:

sainraja

Why is everyone thinking bluetooth headsets won't be compatible? It doesn't say in the blog that they won't be.

sainraja

none of the features in the new controller will be essential to EVEN A SINGLE GAME that will ever release on PS5. and even if they were, you could then make an exception for those games instead of making the controller incompatible across the board.

also by the same logic Sony would need to ban every third party manufacturer to make controllers that don't have every single feature in the dual sense... and do you think that's gonna happen? do you think there will be Fight Sticks that have adaptive triggers, sixaxis and a touchpad? OR, or will we see third party controllers (including fight sticks) that will miss some or even all these features but will still work with PS5 games...?

but I guess a consumer like you can spin reality like they want in order to fit their narrative.

making the DS4 incompatible is anti consumer in every way. it's ridiculous how there are still shills out there defending this.

and we know this isn't a technology related thing, the PS5 is obviously compatible with the DualShock 4, they officially said it is, just arbitrarily not with PS5 games.

BUT GOOD! how else could Street Fighter 6 be truly next gen if you could play it with an old controller? right?
fucking ridiculous

Let's see when PS5 games actually start coming out, see how the controller works with them, before deciding on that.

DavidGzz

That was seven years ago. The guy primarily responsible for that video (Adam Boyes) no longer works for the company.

So? Console wars have been a thing since I was a child in old advertisements in magazines. At least MS and Sony have an excuse unlike the fanboys. They benefit monetarily.

Freeman

Banned
Jim Ryan: "No Dual Sense? Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get their hands on a Dual Sense: it's called the PS4."

Banned
Let's see when PS5 games actually start coming out, see how the controller works with them, before deciding on that.

I already posted why no game will use them in a way that is essential.

Sony is on a accessibility craze. they usually have accessibility settings in their games like deactivating mashing buttons, or enabling auto lock on on enemies in shooting heavy games like Uncharted 4.
that's so people with issues in their hands or other disabilities can play their games and they get them woke points.

so you really think that they will not have options like this in place for adaptive triggers?
of course they will. every game that uses them will have an option to turn them off.
Sony games because of their accessibility settings and third party games because the games will be playable on other systems so why not have options for people's preferences?

Top Bottom