• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah, as in they should've made a portable PS4, not this overpriced nonsense.
You cannot possibly with a straight face tell me this was a better idea. And if you can, this was a bad faith discussion from the start.
Bring it down a bit.

The thing might be trash but if it works well then it's gonna be useful for some of us.

It's just a deluxe controller. The bad faith argument is getting annoyed at it being something different than what you want it to be.

coffinbirth

Bring it down a bit.

The thing might be trash but if it works well then it's gonna be useful for some of us.

It's just a deluxe controller. The bad faith argument is getting annoyed at it being something different than what you want it to be.
Sure, enjoy your "trash" I guess...glad we can see eye to eye there.

Madjaba

Bring it down a bit.

It's not, it's a remote player.
The deluxe controller is the Dualsense Edge for about the same price.

A controller doesn't rely on Internet connection to even function.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's not, it's a remote player.
The deluxe controller is the Dualsense Edge for about the same price.

A controller doesn't rely on Internet connection to even function.
Clearly it's a remote player but it can also be viewed as a deluxe controller cause it's not like it'll have a separate ecosystem of games.

Madjaba

Clearly it's a remote player but it can also be viewed as a deluxe controller cause it's not like it'll have a separate ecosystem of games.

I can't understand this logic.

It's not even "deluxe" controller as it is a plain Dualsense controller cut in 2 pieces.

It's just a remote player, which won't work without WiFi and your experience will depend heavily on the quality of your Internet Connection.

coffinbirth

It's not even "deluxe" controller as it is a plain Dualsense controller cut in 2 pieces.

It's just a remote player, which won't work without WiFi and your experience will depend heavily on the quality of your Internet Connection.
Just remember where you are. The rest of the internet agrees with you though.

fart town usa

Gold Member

It's a controller with a screen that allows for remote play, why shouldn't that be considered a deluxe controller? Or are deluxe controllers strictly limited to $200 controllers that include volume buttons and swappable analog sticks?

I think the real issue is that some people can't accept what the device is. If it doesn't appeal to you, just don't get one. It'd be like someone complaining about the fact that the dualsense edge is being sold. It's going to appeal to some and not to others. It's as simple as that.

I'm not even sure if the Portal will function well but to act like it's completely useless is just silly. It'll be a great device if it's lag free.

Madjaba

It's a controller with a screen that allows for remote play, why shouldn't that be considered a deluxe controller? Or are deluxe controllers strictly limited to $200 controllers that include volume buttons and swappable analog sticks?

I think the real issue is that some people can't accept what the device is. If it doesn't appeal to you, just don't get one. It'd be like someone complaining about the fact that the dualsense edge is being sold. It's going to appeal to some and not to others. It's as simple as that.

I'm not even sure if the Portal will function well but to act like it's completely useless is just silly. It'll be a great device if it's lag free.
I'm just calling a cat, a cat...

Also in small letters at the end of the page :

PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can stream compatible games installed on your PS5 console. PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player requires broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended. The quality and connectivity of your play experience may vary depending on your network environment. A PS5 console and account for PlayStation Network is required. The PS5 console must be connected to a broadband internet connection, powered on fully or in Rest Mode, and it must be paired with your PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player.

So even Playstation themselves call it a Remote Player.

And well, it will be useful for people with good Internet Connection and a total waste of money for those who don't.

I understand that people would prefer a universal solution that would work 100% of the time, as a portable console or by working like the Wii U controller worked with direct connection to the console.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm just calling a cat, a cat...

Also in small letters at the end of the page :

PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can stream compatible games installed on your PS5 console. PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player requires broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended. The quality and connectivity of your play experience may vary depending on your network environment. A PS5 console and account for PlayStation Network is required. The PS5 console must be connected to a broadband internet connection, powered on fully or in Rest Mode, and it must be paired with your PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player.

So even Playstation themselves call it a Remote Player.

And well, it will be useful for people with good Internet Connection and a total waste of money for those who don't.

I understand that people would prefer a universal solution that would work 100% of the time, as a portable console or by working like the Wii U controller worked with direct connection to the console.

So what you're saying is that you're upset that it's not something you want it to be and that it won't appeal to everyone.

Funny cause that's what I said too.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Madjaba

So what you're saying is that you're upset that it's not something you want it to be and that it won't appeal to everyone.

Funny cause that's what I said too.

Great Job Reaction GIF
Nope, I'm just calling the device for what it is and understand why people (so I'm not including myself...) would want a different device.

I use my Steam Deck as a Remote Player for my PS5 so I don't need this device, but would have been interested if it offered a little more though.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Nope, I'm just calling the device for what it is and understand why people (so I'm not including myself...) would want a different device.

I use my Steam Deck as a Remote Player for my PS5 so I don't need this device, but would have been interested if it offered a little more though.
Check the price of this, and that of Steam deck. Also this has benefits Linus talked about when he reviewed Logitech G Cloud - no fan sound, no heat generated, longer battery life. All that doesn't apply to Steam Deck (I know, I had one).

SaintALia

You know, if this was a $300-350 USD device that could stream PS5 games(via virtually lag-free like the Wii U controller), and also stream PS4 and PS5 titles over the internet(or even older hardware), support bluetooth headphones(which is weird that they don't, Sony have some fantastic bluetooth headphones), with maybe an OLED screen(though not necessary), I'd say this would be a good entry point into the PS ecosystem.

As it is, it just seems like a neat accessory for hardcore PS5 fans. Good for them I guess. I was expecting 250, kinda surprised at the 200, but for what it does, then yea sure, that checks out.

Is there a battery life quote on this yet? My Fire HD is about 12 hours, and iPad Pro is about 10, I'm guessing this should eke out at least 6(though Sony's controller bolted on must be a massive battery hog).

Madjaba

Check the price of this, and that of Steam deck. Also this has benefits Linus talked about when he reviewed Logitech G Cloud - no fan sound, no heat generated, longer battery life. All that doesn't apply to Steam Deck (I know, I had one).
I didn't compare Steam Deck to this device, just said that I use mine for a similar use so I don't need a Portal.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You know, if this was a $300-350 USD device that could stream PS5 games(via virtually lag-free like the Wii U controller), and also stream PS4 and PS5 titles over the internet(or even older hardware), support bluetooth headphones(which is weird that they don't, Sony have some fantastic bluetooth headphones), with maybe an OLED screen(though not necessary), I'd say this would be a good entry point into the PS ecosystem.

As it is, it just seems like a neat accessory for hardcore PS5 fans. Good for them I guess. I was expecting 250, kinda surprised at the 200, but for what it does, then yea sure, that checks out.

Is there a battery life quote on this yet? My Fire HD is about 12 hours, and iPad Pro is about 10, I'm guessing this should eke out at least 6(though Sony's controller bolted on must be a massive battery hog).

WHY? Why pay $350 for your pretend PS Portal, when the PS5 will cost $399 this fall? That makes zero sense!

SaintALia

WHY? Why pay $350 for your pretend PS Portal, when the PS5 will cost $399 this fall? That makes zero sense!
A $300/350 1080p OLED 8 inch portable that plays PS5/PS4/PS3 titles through streaming(or even older and Vita/PSP titles), with optional PS+ subscription, with the ability for lagless portable play if you buy a PS5 would make sense as a good entry into the PS ecosystem and I stand by this.

A standard PS5 currently isn't $400 as well(only the digital edition is iirc).

A PS Vita/PSP equivalent portable doesn't exist, so as it is, this would have been your cheapest entry into the PS ecosystem, with a large catalogue of games to play through their streaming service. I'd just prefer either a lower price, or upping their game to make it more appealing outside of hardcore PS fans. The 300 price point puts it 200 dollars away from a standard PS5, with an incoming PS5 4K+, which would have been a great pairing.

So yeah, makes sense to me, *shrugs*.

mckmas8808

To me once you get to $350, it needs to have the ability to play some type of games locally. But you also "KNOW" that there will be a $399 standard PS5 this fall, so you can't ignore that.

That's what Sony is preparing for this Holiday. I can see if this device costs $250 with an OLED screen and the ability to do Bluetooth. But my guess is Sony is using this device to jump-start their new PS Link technology.

yurinka

Is the remote play different than wi-fi when played in the same room?
I don't know what you mean. Remote Play is the name of a PS feature that consists on playing from another device via streaming a game that is running locally in your console.

Meaning, if you play on your PC, the PC will stream your gamepad inputs to the console, and the console streams its the video and audio to the PC. It can be done both via wifi or LAN cable. Instead of doing it with a PC, you can also do it in a smartphone or tablet, or now in that PS Portal.

Using a LAN cable is always more reliable than wifi, but portable devices don't support LAN cable, so have to do it via wifi. Now, PS5 features a state of the art wifi6. If PS Portal also uses wifi6, then the experience will be way better than when we try to do the same with older and slower wifi versions.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I don't know what you mean. Remote Play is the name of a PS feature that consists on playing from another device via streaming a game that is running locally in your console.

Meaning, if you play on your PC, the PC will stream your gamepad inputs to the console, and the console streams its the video and audio to the PC. It can be done both via wifi or LAN cable. Instead of doing it with a PC, you can also do it in a smartphone or tablet, or now in that PS Portal.

Using a LAN cable is always more reliable than wifi, but portable devices don't support LAN cable, so have to do it via wifi. Now, PS5 features a state of the art wifi6. If PS Portal also uses wifi6, then the experience will be way better than when we try to do the same with older and slower wifi versions.
Ok, so it’s streaming over wifi and not proprietary protocol like a WiiU gamepad.

yurinka

Ok, so it’s streaming over wifi and not proprietary protocol like a WiiU gamepad.
Remote Play a propietary protocol that works over internet: it can work over wifi or over LAN cable. It's the console equivalent of the "Remote Desktop" feature of Windows: you take full control of your console from other device via internet.

By doing so, unlike in WiiU you aren't limited to use it in the same room a few meters away from the console. In fact you can use Remote Play from another city. But obviously the longer the distance is, the worse the experience will be since there will be a higher ping and more packet losses.

Has pros and cons. As an example, with PS4 in the past I had the console at home and I connected from a different city where I did work via Remote Play to delete some games to make space, update other games and download a big one that released that day in order to have it ready once later that day I went back home.

The quality wasn't good enough to play fast paced games from a different city, but enough to do these kind of things or play some turn based or slow paced game decently. Using Remote Play in a PC locally at home via LAN was pretty much great. Doing it via wifi, at least with the wifi we had back then in let's say PS4 and Vita wasn't as good as the WiiU gamepad experience but still very good.

Today I have a new wifi 6 router at home, but I don't have any wifi6 device to test the remote play from PS5 wifi6 to another wifi6 device. The experience should be much better only because of the improvement on this wifi technology over the one that Vita had.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I am no longer getting one but only because I have a Steam Deck this app Chiaki works well to do remote play and I discovered an app called XbPlay so I can play both consoles on one device. The PORTAL is still totally worth getting if you don’t have a steam deck though but I would caution make sure you are using Ethernet. I’d say you’re in for a treat because this is almost lagless and I can only imagine a dedicated Sony device might perform even better.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I am no longer getting one but only because I have a Steam Deck this app Chiaki works well to do remote play and I discovered an app called XbPlay so I can play both consoles on one device. The PORTAL is still totally worth getting if you don’t have a steam deck though but I would caution make sure you are using Ethernet. I’d say you’re in for a treat because this is almost lagless and I can only imagine a dedicated Sony device might perform even better.
Yeah I have a steam deck, that screen and lack of haptics are a miss for me.

MrMephistoX

Yeah I have a steam deck, that screen and lack of haptics are a miss for me.
Yeah I’m not trying to say don’t get one or anything but I’m impressed enough with what I can do on Steam Deck that I’d recommend anyone get a streaming device like the portal: the performance is great as long as you have an Ethernet to PS5 connection. If Sony cracked down and blocked Steam Deck or something I’d get a Portal in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Rob_27

Is it worth getting this or a Logitech G Cloud. If I got the Logitech I could play Starfield via my series x or s as well as playatation stuff... but this I'd like £329.

Sleepwalker

Is it worth getting this or a Logitech G Cloud. If I got the Logitech I could play Starfield via my series x or s as well as playatation stuff... but this I'd like £329.
Well, for one its cheaper but most importantly a dualsense controller attached to it will be vastly superior to whatever controls the G cloud has.

Sorcerer

It would be kind of nice if they took a page from the Edge and let you replace the thumb stick modules, being they are attached to the system.

vivftp

It would be kind of nice if they took a page from the Edge and let you replace the thumb stick modules, being they are attached to the system.

The Portal uses the slightly smaller thumbsticks from the Sense controllers (for PSVR2) rather than the ones from the DualSense. The Edge uses the same full sized sticks as the DualSense, so on that front it makes sense why it wouldn't be replaceable since the sticks would be too large. That said, yeah it would've been nice if they could have designed it with the larger thumbsticks and a way to replace them. Looking at the Portal though, I'm not sure how possible that would have been as I can't spot an easy way to do that without making some hefty changes to the Portals design.

Sorcerer

The Portal uses the slightly smaller thumbsticks from the Sense controllers (for PSVR2) rather than the ones from the DualSense. The Edge uses the same full sized sticks as the DualSense, so on that front it makes sense why it wouldn't be replaceable since the sticks would be too large. That said, yeah it would've been nice if they could have designed it with the larger thumbsticks and a way to replace them. Looking at the Portal though, I'm not sure how possible that would have been as I can't spot an easy way to do that without making some hefty changes to the Portals design.
Yeah, I see what you mean, I think making the modules slide out would make the system too fragile. Between the screen and the controller something would weaken or crack over time.

mckmas8808

These things are expensive as heck but meanwhile in PC land people just casually drop $200+ on keyboards and $150+ on mice.

It's why people in the video game media are losers. They say all these Playstation products are so expensive, but talk about gaming on their 4080 GPU having PCs and on their 34" ultra-wide monitors (which is their 2nd place to play). While also talking about how much they like playing games on their Steamdeck with 512 GBs of drive space.

Top Bottom