• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation PULSE Explore & PULSE Elite Announced

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
whats amazing to me is that this is the same company behind de XM3, XM4 and XM5 headphones.

I'll never understand how they release these piece of shit accessories for their most important product.
I have xm3 here too (full size) and I think pulse 3d sounds better

Dream-Knife

Banned
This is not my experience at All and I own the best headsets on the planet.

Just got to see some reviews and seems mostly everyone agrees with me, SONY headsets are the best on the planet.

Apple is the only company i would say that might have better options.
Surely you're joking.

Sennheisers are the best sub-1k mass produced headsets generally.

Apples headsets aren't great either. There's a reason they bought out beats. It's just fasion.

K' Dash

Both of these products are feature-packed, specd and priced really well. What's the issue?

Both of these products will disintegrate with time and will probably have flaws that will make them unusable, I have bought every single PS headset and they're all shit, I've had the Xm3, XM4 and XM5 headphones and they're all amazing, hard to believe the same company is behind both.

I have xm3 here too (full size) and I think pulse 3d sounds better

you can't connect your XM3 to your PS console, you have to use the headphone jack, no shit the PS headset will sound a bit better. The problem is not sound, is HW quality.

Zathalus

Pulse is amazing.
It sounds very very close to koss porta pro which is up there in terms of legendary audio quality.
It is light, comfortable, does not make my ears sweat, works with pc.
I firmly disagree. Sound is good, but the microphone is terrible, build quality is cheap plastic and it is one of the most uncomfortable headsets I've ever used due to the earcup design and the inability to adjust the fit.

I own over a dozen headsets and this one is by far the worst. If we are rating first party headsets then the Xbox headset the better of the two, but even then you are better off with the many third party headsets on the market.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Both of these products will disintegrate with time and will probably have flaws that will make them unusable, I have bought every single PS headset and they're all shit, I've had the Xm3, XM4 and XM5 headphones and they're all amazing, hard to believe the same company is behind both.

you can't connect your XM3 to your PS console, you have to use the headphone jack, no shit the PS headset will sound a bit better. The problem is not sound, is HW quality.
I know that. I am not connecting xm3 on ps5.
Just some music from phone and on pulse 3d from pc.
I realize powering off or using analog connection disables dps.

xm3 sounds great but it's very bassy. muddy maybe

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I firmly disagree. Sound is good, but the microphone is terrible, build quality is cheap plastic and it is one of the most uncomfortable headsets I've ever used due to the earcup design and the inability to adjust the fit.

I own over a dozen headsets and this one is by far the worst. If we are rating first party headsets then the Xbox headset the better of the two, but even then you are better off with the many third party headsets on the market.
Comfort is personal I guess... I don mind it.
Mic is not the best, true but nobody complained when I played some bf5 but I dont play online much anymore if at all, so I dont care.

The GOAT pulse.

236216-PA070058.jpg
The original Pulse Elites. They have vibration motors that rumbled with bass.

They also cracked in that narrow neck area right above the earcups something fierce.

Sony's best PlayStation headset is still the Platinum, I do wonder if the new Pulse Elites will be better.
41iHfv828vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Don't looks like elite to me, more like a redesign of the pulse 3D.

Maybe the tech behind the audio will be different?

edit:

Looks like use AI for noise rejection.
Anything with machine learning is branded AI nowadays. I like the Explorers though. Not a fan off the $200 price point, but if these things ever get near $130, I may snatch a pair up.

Brucey

they are, they've been refining that with each iteration, you also can fine tune with the app.

The XM5s are just lovely, I really wish they'd just let me use those.
Unfortunately the xm5 has garbage auto ANC levels that cannot be adjusted in settings unlike the xm4 (for the headsets). I decided to keep my xm5s regardless as the music quality and microphone performance are great. But for max noise cancelling the xm4 is a far more solid choice.

TrebleShot

Unfortunately the xm5 has garbage auto ANC levels that cannot be adjusted in settings unlike the xm4 (for the headsets). I decided to keep my xm5s regardless as the music quality and microphone performance are great. But for max noise cancelling the xm4 is a far more solid choice.
I love my XM5s shame there isnt that much use purpose outside of walking or even trains/planes and I drive mostly.
Sounds like they will be licensing the sony link tech and id imagine any XM6 will likely have it built in, well you'd hope so. They will want this on their phones, consoles and via the USB.

For gaming, the Pulse sounds better anyway.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
At their price points, yes. That’s true for most Sony-branded headsets, they’re an excellent mid-range choice. But once you exceed the $250 price point and are squarely in the premium sector, you want features over everything else. It’s at that point you’re better off with other options.
Sennheiser !

Brucey

I love my XM5s shame there isnt that much use purpose outside of walking or even trains/planes and I drive mostly.
Sounds like they will be licensing the sony link tech and id imagine any XM6 will likely have it built in, well you'd hope so. They will want this on their phones, consoles and via the USB.

For gaming, the Pulse sounds better anyway.
Yes allowing for lossless low latency connection in future XMs (headset and earbuds) will be nice. Let's see if PS5s "slim" includes it.

TrebleShot

Yes allowing for lossless low latency connection in future XMs (headset and earbuds) will be nice. Let's see if PS5s "slim" includes it.
Id be amazed if it didnt considering this is in the new headsets and devices, would be a real WTF moment.
However this is a company that thought UMD was a good idea, a media for a singular device.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Aside from some slightly wonky use of negative space on the PS5 itself; I gotta say I'm liking the overall design language of this generation. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's distinctive, iconic and recognisable. Everything is very coherent and immediately identifiable from a brand perspective. The console, controllers, headsets/earphones, PSVR2 etc., they all just belong.

I hope with PS6 they take the same approach but perhaps with slick satin black cores and dark grey accents rather than the less agreeable and less practical gloss black cores with white accents.

Last edited:

vivftp

Audeze Maxwell or bust

Sony Interactive Entertainment has now acquired Audeze. Considering the timing of this product announcement and the acquisition, it's highly probable that this headset and the earbuds were developed in collaboration with Audeze since they use planar magnetic drivers.

It'll be interesting to see how they stack up.

Last edited:

Tams

Pulse Elite - 50% upcharge over Pulse 3D for a retractable mic and audio codecs.

Pulse Explore - $200 for a worse version of the Airpods Pro.

Portal - $200 for a dualsense backbone duct taped to a shitty tablet screen.

What the hell is going on over at Sony? They've completely lost it.

They are planar magnetic. That shit is the shit and not cheap.

Try harder.

Tams

Not anymore. Senn has sold its Headphone division, its all Asia developed/ produced crap now.

I'm not sure where it is produced, but they sold it to a Swiss hearing aid company that actually produced their own IEMs over a decade ago that the audiophile community raved over for their neutral sound and balanced armature at an affordable price.

SenkiDala

Wait I just noticed.

PLANAR DRIVERS ?! In pulse and explorer ?! That's wild !
150$ for pulse 3d elite with planar drivers is a wild price actually
Was coming to say this, it's actually a VERY decent price ?

Anyway what's going on with the Bluetooth on PS5/XSX/XSS, it is not compatible right ? I forgot but I think I remember that my Bose headphones and AirPods Pro 2 don't work because those consoles don't accept BT right ? Like the PS4 and One in fact... if I remember correctly.

So in those ones there's some special drivers to reduce BT latency and so it'll be compatible to the PS Portal, the PS5 ? Will it be compatible to PS4 too ? I still use a PS4 Pro in my bedroom.

LoveCake

Build quality of the regular Pulse 3d is terrible, just FYI. Won't buy another PS headset any time soon.
I have had mine since launch, they are good for the price, no issues at all with build quality with mine.

What is the difference between Pulse 3D and Pulse Elite?

I wonder when the Audeze headset will come out?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Was coming to say this, it's actually a VERY decent price ?

Anyway what's going on with the Bluetooth on PS5/XSX/XSS, it is not compatible right ? I forgot but I think I remember that my Bose headphones and AirPods Pro 2 don't work because those consoles don't accept BT right ? Like the PS4 and One in fact... if I remember correctly.

So in those ones there's some special drivers to reduce BT latency and so it'll be compatible to the PS Portal, the PS5 ? Will it be compatible to PS4 too ? I still use a PS4 Pro in my bedroom.
Latency or some talk. I don’t care about bt anyway

8BiTw0LF

Banned
If Pulse Elite performs good compared to Audeze Maxwell, I might buy them. $150 vs. $300 and probably better tuned for PS5. Same dual input (proprietary and bluetooth) so pc (discord, Spotify and browser) and PS5 sound at the same time - wireless. Yeah that's a no brainer.

vivftp

I've got the Inzone H7, so I likely won't look at getting these elites. Might consider the explore for use with PSVR2 though

Now that Sony owns Audeze that puts them on my radar in case they do a considerably higher end headset than the elite. It feels highly likely that they'll have a higher end unit at some point considering the sort of units Audeze produces.

We shall see how it goes. Somehow I think this is going to go more minidisk or betamax route vs becoming a widely adapted standard.
How? In concept it's no different than what Series X does it's just Sony's new wireless protocol that'll allow them to get rid of the usb dongle on future hardware so 3rd party would have no reason to not support it

Planar Magnetic drivers are a pretty big deal in a $150/$199 device which makes me more interested.

I don't really do headsets anymore as they hurt my head. I currently use wired IEMs on console and PC so the explore would be my choice. Will wait for reviews.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pulse Elite - 50% upcharge over Pulse 3D for a retractable mic and audio codecs.

Pulse Explore - $200 for a worse version of the Airpods Pro.

Portal - $200 for a dualsense backbone duct taped to a shitty tablet screen.

What the hell is going on over at Sony? They've completely lost it.

Didn't you notice what others are saying here, this is a much bigger upgrade than that for both headsets. Good article here:

Also the portal is already better than any backbone since it has proper controllers, less lag, and a bigger screen.

StereoVsn

How? In concept it's no different than what Series X does it's just Sony's new wireless protocol that'll allow them to get rid of the usb dongle on future hardware so 3rd party would have no reason to not support it
I like the dongle since usually you can get XSX headset that will support all consoles.

Top Bottom