• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation PULSE Explore & PULSE Elite Announced

It's HILARIOUS that you can't actually use these with the Portal thing. Lololol. I have no idea what Sony is doing with hardware anymore.

You are wrong. These connect to the Portal thing via Playstation Link

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore connect directly with PlayStation Portal by leveraging this new wireless audio technology, PlayStation Link. This innovation delivers low latency, lossless audio and easy switching between multiple PlayStation Link hosts such as PS5 with the USB adapter and PlayStation Portal.

No Bluetooth needed

Last edited:

Zuzu

It’s a bit of a shame that Sony’s XM line of headphones can’t just integrate with the PS5. I wish they’d put this link protocol in those.

Last edited:
I've never had this kind of problem. How do they break off exactly? Doing what?

Just putting the headset on and off.

It creeks each time. Just lightly throwing it on the couch seems like it can damage it over time

The leather like foam they use just rubs off easily as well, it’s really cheap

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
How do you find the H9's vs the Pulse?

I would say the H9's have better sound quality, and overall a better 3D soundstage, but really the Pulse are great as well. The H9's are way more comfortable, though, imo, and the noise cancelling/isolation is fantastic. You can't go wrong with either, though, depending on your budget.

Robochobo

Just putting the headset on and off.

It creeks each time. Just lightly throwing it on the couch seems like it can damage it over time

The leather like foam they use just rubs off easily as well, it’s really cheap
I never buy headsets anymore that have thin plastic between the ear cups and headband. I've lost 3 that way, the last and most expensive being $250. They all began to exhibit a hairline fracture and eventually just broke there. I take very good care of my electronics, yet these all broke at nearly the same place from simply taking the headset off and on over a course of just a year. Never looked back.

Mr Hyde

Some additional info not in the OP regarding use outside PS5.

When using Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore with PS5, the USB adapter that’s included with each headset and earbuds is required for PlayStation Link. The PlayStation Link USB adapter will also be sold separately as a standalone item, and can be used on PC and Mac, so players can connect Pulse Elite or Pulse Explore to experience the same lossless and low latency audio.

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can simultaneously connect to a PlayStation Link supported device (PS5, PC, Mac, or PlayStation Portal) and a Bluetooth supported device. For example, Pulse Explore can be connected to PS5 (via the USB adapter) using PlayStation Link and also to a mobile phone through Bluetooth at the same time. While playing on PS5, gamers can instantly answer a call and hear it through the same Pulse Explore earbuds.

You can use them on PC and your phone via Bluetooth or a dongle that's included in the headset or sold separately. Which should make them compatible with Switch too. Great news.

Bartski

Gold Member
No one mentioning these are both planar magnetic headsets?

Closest rival is the Audeze Maxwell or Penrose which cost £350

And what’s more the buds are too that’s a first in earbuds both of theses are HUGE upgrades.

The price is incredible too.

Day 1

I know right? Just said it in the other thread, this is incredible news, way bigger than that streaming gizmo.

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore will be the first PlayStation audio devices to use custom-designed planar magnetic drivers for an audiophile-level listening experience normally found in premium headphones for professional sound engineers. With Pulse Explore, we’re pleased to be one of the first companies to provide wireless earbuds to the mass consumer market using planar magnetic driver technology.

This.

I'm buying both and I'm stoked to hear them and find out how they perform being consumer level cheap.

I know right? Just said it in the other thread, this is incredible news, way bigger than that streaming gizmo.

This.

I'm buying both and I'm stoked to hear them and find out how they perform being consumer level cheap.

I’m not an audio geek, how big of a difference will this tech make?

Very fair pricing on these headsets. The buds are loaded with features and are planar. They basically included every feature you could ask for in a wireless IEM. The headset will come down to comfort but is a huge upgrade over the regular pulse. Definitely getting the Explores.

What will sound better - pulse or explore?

Can explore be used with iPhone?

Bartski

Gold Member
Being Planar Magnetic is awesome and a big jump in quality from Dynamics, but as long as they are locking this to only use on PS5 it's a no go for me. Make them work on Xbox and PC as well and I might consider.
are they locking it tho?
Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can simultaneously connect to a PlayStation Link supported device (PS5, PC, Mac, or PlayStation Portal) and a Bluetooth supported device.
This reads like they don't, and that link supports regular bluetoot input.

SkylineRKR

I have the regular Pulse and I like it but my Xbox headset is superior, more sturdy, comfortable and volume adjust by turning the earpiece.

Damn it, only bought the pulse 3d a few weeks ago. Would have liked trying some planars, plus the ability to use bluetooth to connect to phone would have been a bonus.

FrankWza

I’m not an audio geek, how big of a difference will this tech make?
Planar are great. Especially for surround sound. The low end is better and the drivers are bigger so the almost always have a bigger Soundstage as well. I've never tried planar buds though but I would assume the benefits are similar.
What will sound better - pulse or explore?

Can explore be used with iPhone?
The original pulse that launched with PS5? I would probably go with the explore being better because they are in the premium end of features and design. It will work with any Bluetooth device but they haven't made clear if the lossless audio will work on other devices that don't use the USB dongle included.

Ronin_7

Banned
It's HILARIOUS that you can't actually use these with the Portal thing. Lololol. I have no idea what Sony is doing with hardware anymore.

You can use them with Portal lol that's exactly what the USB dongle will be for.

Start including a headset with the console, they want you to spend thousands of dollars on accessories.

Well of course, you think this is charity?

Last edited:

Elios83

Finally! I need the earbuds.
Can't stand the headsets for a long time and wired earphones are clumsy.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
someone erection GIF

FrankWza

Being Planar Magnetic is awesome and a big jump in quality from Dynamics, but as long as they are locking this to only use on PS5 it's a no go for me. Make them work on Xbox and PC as well and I might consider.
They will work on PC. Xbox uses proprietary connection AND closed USB ports. It was a huge oversight for them coming into the new gen where optical was phased out of all consoles. With PS5 you can still use optical because their USB ports are open and gives you way more options. That's why these dongles can easily be made compatible with PC.

GymWolf

They will work on PC. Xbox uses proprietary connection AND closed USB ports. It was a huge oversight for them coming into the new gen where optical was phased out of all consoles. With PS5 you can still use optical because their USB ports are open and gives you way more options. That's why these dongles can easily be made compatible with PC.
I have the platinum wireless so if they work exactly like those on pc, i'm happy.

(just put the dongle in the usb and you are gold)

If i have to do shit in windows to make them work they can fuck off, very simple for me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

FrankWza

I have the platinum wireless so if they work exactly like those on pc, i'm happy.

(just put the dongle in the usb and you are gold)

If i have to do shit in windows to make them work they can fuck off, very simple for me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
The PlayStation Link USB adapter will also be sold separately as a standalone item, and can be used on PC and Mac, so players can connect Pulse Elite or Pulse Explore to experience the same lossless and low latency audio.
I'm assuming there's a different adapter needed the way this is phrased or it's just recommended for convenience so you don't need to unplug and repair each time you want to swap. With the pulse elite you are still getting planar if you want to plug into the Xbox controller but they usually need extra juice to sound their best so getting a small portable amp for them may be needed. $150 for planar is a very good price and that usually for barebones sets. These have a lot more features and a mic.

GymWolf

I'm assuming there's a different adapter needed the way this is phrased or it's just recommended for convenience so you don't need to unplug and repair each time you want to swap. With the pulse elite you are still getting planar if you want to plug into the Xbox controller but they usually need extra juice to sound their best so getting a small portable amp for them may be needed. $150 for planar is a very good price and that usually for barebones sets. These have a lot more features and a mic.
Hopefully the dongle is included (because if not i can see a 49,99 price)

FrankWza

Hopefully the dongle is included (because if not i can see a 49,99 price)
It is definitely included because that is how it connects to the PS5. The only question is if a different dongle is needed for PC/Mac or they are just suggesting an extra one for convenience so they are selling it separately for that reason. These headsets both have Bluetooth but that is not how they connect to the PS5 and if they connect to PC/Mac via Bluetooth you will not have the ability for the same lossless and low latency audio.

Sleepwalker

Swing and a miss on my end, don't like gaming with headsets, already have the 3d pulse and have used it for gaming maybe 3 times.

Don't care for the streaming device at all.

The earbuds are nice but samsung were kind enough to send me a buds 2 pro for free with my last purchase so I'm covered on that end. Maybe later though, I do enjoy a good pair of earbuds.

FrankWza

The earbuds are nice but samsung were kind enough to send me a buds 2 pro for free with my last purchase so I'm covered on that end. Maybe later though, I do enjoy a good pair of earbuds.
Everyone has wireless earbuds or airpods. They just don't work with PS5 without crazy workarounds or extra adapters and they're not planar. Even then they won't sound as good as these will.

Pedro Motta

are they locking it tho?

This reads like they don't, and that link supports regular bluetoot input.

Thanks guys for the heads up. My problem is really with my Series X, I don't want to have a different pair of Headphones for each console, that's why I replaced my Pulse3D for the SteelSeries 7X (Xbox edition) as it works on both PS5 and Xbox as well as PC.

I though it was Playstation that made the Pulse 3D not work on Xbox but after all it's the other way around.

Sleepwalker

Everyone has wireless earbuds or airpods. They just don't work with PS5 without crazy workarounds or extra adapters and they're not planar. Even then they won't sound as good as these will.

Yeah I'm aware but I don't like gaming with headphones/earphones so I'm not the target for these. Not really an audiophile so I like to just use my regular TV sound and lay down on the couch while playing.

FrankWza

Thanks guys for the heads up. My problem is really with my Series X, I don't want to have a different pair of Headphones for each console, that's why I replaced my Pulse3D for the SteelSeries 7X (Xbox edition) as it works on both PS5 and Xbox as well as PC.

I though it was Playstation that made the Pulse 3D not work on Xbox but after all it's the other way around.
I would at least try the Elites. The quality should be much better on PS5 and PC than 7x and at least even with the 7x on xbox if you plug the Elite into the controller. You could always return them.

K' Dash

whats amazing to me is that this is the same company behind de XM3, XM4 and XM5 headphones.

I'll never understand how they release these piece of shit accessories for their most important product.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Definitely getting the earbuds even if the price is steep. But the headphones I can do without. I purchased Steelseries Arctis 7+ not long ago and they are as Elite as they come.

bgKB4er.jpg

This is what I have. I also bought the Pulse 3D Headset when the PS5 first released and... it just wasn't that great. Ergonomics felt weak, the construction itself felt pretty poor and flimsy (it did end up breaking entirely, though that may have been due to microfractures from heating/warming due to the strange climate where I live), and the sound quality of hte Arctis was just better.

No idea if the new ones will be improved, but I will give Sony this: They have a clear design concept for PS5 and its accessories and are keeping it throughout all its products. I love that. I am tempted to pick up the earphones just because of that.

Ronin_7

Banned
better or leader products sell for more. Basic economy law.
Want increases price
Exactly, this is exactly what Apple does and they keep outselling everyone combined.

There are 10$ buds out there that can't sell 10% of what Apple does.

People care about quality, as more people become smarter due easier access to education, more this process will accelerate.

Mr Hyde

This is what I have. I also bought the Pulse 3D Headset when the PS5 first released and... it just wasn't that great. Ergonomics felt weak, the construction itself felt pretty poor and flimsy (it did end up breaking entirely, though that may have been due to microfractures from heating/warming due to the strange climate where I live), and the sound quality of hte Arctis was just better.

I felt the same with Pulse 3D. Bought them at launch and I didn't really like them. I tried too, but they weren't comfortable due to the strange round cups and cheap plastic Sony went with. Battery life was pretty crap too. I ended up selling mine and got the Steelseries Arctis instead which is in another league, both in terms of comfort and in audio. Best headphone set that I've used so far. Works great with Switch too which is another win.

Top Bottom