• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation PULSE Explore & PULSE Elite Announced

StereoVsn

I would think that option would still be available I was thinking more about Sony produced headsets similar to how Xbox is now
Yeah, mostly thinking about 3rd party ones. I have couple Steelseries ones and the latest one can work with PS5, Xbox, and Bluetooth with the latter being mixed into the former.

So I really hope options line this wouldn't go away as Sony starts to push their new proprietary protocol.

skit_data

Damn, they should have put PLANAR into the name of these headphones. Now I'm intrigued.
Yeah, I only just found out reading the blogpost the other day. That + understanding just how good Playstation Link is compared to Bluetooth made my interest go from "meh" to "definitely getting those". I'll be getting the Explore ones, first ever planar magnetic earbuds, not bad.

Rambone

Maxwell is so stinken good on PS5, it's no wonder why Sony went and gobbled up Audeze. I'll be passing on these new ones since I already have the Maxwell but good to know if that thing croaks there is a cheaper option.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I'm not sure where it is produced, but they sold it to a Swiss hearing aid company that actually produced their own IEMs over a decade ago that the audiophile community raved over for their neutral sound and balanced armature at an affordable price.
Mid to Highrange is put together in Ireland, everything BT or consumer is Chinese.
The problem is not that they are putting the same components together, I don’t believe that they necessarily have the same quality control process in place Sennheiser had at their German facility. Wich have been absurdly high. My HD800S is build like a dream.

The reason Sennheiser sold their Headphone business was because it did not make enough money, so the only way to make the investment of a Swiss company (even more expensive labor cost) worthwhile is by reducing QC and reducing cost down the line.

FrankWza

Sony just released some earbuds under the Inzone name. Same price as the Explore but they don't use planar. There are some reviews out and appear to be sold out at major retailers.

Edit.looks like slight delay in shipping from Sony but in stock

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony just released some earbuds under the Inzone name. Same price as the Explore but they don't use planar. There are some reviews out and appear to be sold out at major retailers.

Edit.looks like slight delay in shipping from Sony but in stock

Why buy these if they don't have planar in them?

FrankWza

Why buy these if they don't have planar in them?
Planar in earbuds isnt very common and these could be using Sony drivers from their main earbuds line and they are very popular and well received. Plus they're out now and the Explore don't even have a release date and haven't been listed for preorder anywhere. Could also come down to a fit for some people. If they compare we'll feature - wise they may be just as viable an option for some.

Also it looks like these Do Not supporte Portal. The Explore buds do so maybe the Inzone are geared towards just PS5 /PC. Strange ommission

Last edited:

Brucey

They use the Sony XM5 drivers, which is some of best ear buds out there in terms of sound. So the quality of sounds is pretty much known and can be trusted. We don't know how "good" the planer drivers will be, but it's Sony so I'm going to assume its going to be just as good as their normal drivers.
How do we know it uses the xm5 drivers? It's got double the battery life of the xm5s, which isn't surprising given the larger form factor. But also a fair bit cheaper.

How do we know it uses the xm5 drivers? It's got double the battery life of the xm5s, which isn't surprising given the larger form factor. But also a fair bit cheaper.
Some of the review I watched mentioned it. So, I'm guessing that Sony gave them those details. Some reviews mentioned Sony reworking the internals around to allow for a bigger batter. As for price, I'm guessing their is a bit of a markup for their XM series as it is supposed to be "premium" probably uses better materials for both the buds and the case. And those drivers have been around awhile, so it might be cheaper to produce now. I was pretty surprised by the price as well, only $199.

Last edited:

Brucey

Some of the review I watched mentioned it. So, I'm guessing that Sony gave them those details. Some reviews mentioned Sony reworking the internals around to allow for a bigger batter. As for price, I'm guessing their is a bit of a markup for their XM series are it is supposed to be "premium" probably uses better materials for both the buds and the case. And those drivers have been around awhile, so it might be cheaper to produce now. I was pretty surprised by the price as well, only $199.
Well the xm4s and 5s are much smaller than these. Plenty of battery room in the inzones in comparison

Kl2Hm5Q.png

FrankWza

Ah looks like the inzone earbuds don't support ldac, only LC3.
Interesting. I have a few videos bookmarked but I haven't had the chance to watch yet but I want to compare vs the Explore side by side.
I know that they don't support Playstation link so that means no Portal support.
I guess that explains the lower price! Now I'm wondering about the Pulse Explores. I'm trying move away from my IEMs since they don't have mic.
I think that the Explore look to be an even bigger steal than when they were announced. I would jump at the chance to at least try them if anyone is interested. They really check all the boxes. I am a little worried that they may not be available when Portal launches. And if they are, judging by the amount of these Inzone they produced, they may be really hard to secure.

Some of the review I watched mentioned it.
Which review? If you don't mind I'd like to read or watch later. Thanks.

Interesting. I have a few videos bookmarked but I haven't had the chance to watch yet but I want to compare vs the Explore side by side.
I know that they don't support Playstation link so that means no Portal support.

I think that the Explore look to be an even bigger steal than when they were announced. I would jump at the chance to at least try them if anyone is interested. They really check all the boxes. I am a little worried that they may not be available when Portal launches. And if they are, judging by the amount of these Inzone they produced, they may be really hard to secure.

Which review? If you don't mind I'd like to read or watch later. Thanks.
I was in for the Explore as soon as they were announced. If they can match or exceed the Pulse, I'll be very happy! I've always been a earbuds over headphones gamer... I gotta keep my hair right LOL As for reviews I actually watched one one you had linked and a couple more here:

FrankWza

TrebleShot

Fucking mental they aren’t out or announced yet for pre order but Audeze are renown for delays and being slow with hardware so if they are using them as a base could be into the new year.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Definitely getting the earbuds even if the price is steep. But the headphones I can do without. I purchased Steelseries Arctis 7+ not long ago and they are as Elite as they come.

bgKB4er.jpg
Wearing these right now. Cept the PC version. Steele Series 7+

Drizzlehell

Banned
So when are those earbuds coming out? Having recently become an earbud enjoyer, I must say that I'm digging the sound quality and noise cancellation that these can provide, so I definitely want one of those for gaming.

Is there any indication that they're gonna be on par with or better than Galaxy Buds 2? I'm not an audio expert so I must ask for advice.

FrankWza

So when are those earbuds coming out?
Should be alongside the Portal release. Like TrebleShot TrebleShot said, Audeze has had some issues delivering on releases on time before. If they are Audeze buds in Sony packaging, that's possible.
Is there any indication that they're gonna be on par with or better than Galaxy Buds 2?
They'll be better for gaming and audio effects. They're using planar. As far as being better overall, that's going to factor in the codecs each use for whatever application you're using. For PS5 and Portal owners, these will use Playstation link so they should sound great and for PSVR2 owners they add the wireless convenience and lightweight option that a lot of us have been hoping for.

S0ULZB0URNE

Hoping they release the Pulse Elite soon as I am tempted to get the Audeze Maxwell but it's weight been keeping me at bay...

Ev1L AuRoN

Im thinking about upgrading my pulse, its a nice headset but the mic is awful, maybe this one address the issue, I'll wait for reviews.

Question - is the Pulse Elite guaranteed to have more bass than the Pulse Explore?

Trying to decide between the two. My current Pulse 3D headset snapped :/ (Poor Build quality....) So I need another good headset. I really liked the Pulse 3D for everything BUT the build quality.

Brucey

Question - is the Pulse Elite guaranteed to have more bass than the Pulse Explore?

Trying to decide between the two. My current Pulse 3D headset snapped :/ (Poor Build quality....) So I need another good headset. I really liked the Pulse 3D for everything BUT the build quality.
I'm thinking the explores because they won't interfere with future psvr2.

FrankWza

Hard to say until they are in hand but they probably will be the same build quality of the pulse 3d. There will also probably be some inconsistent qc like the explore. Audeze has some issues with it already so it might take time to put the Sony money to work.
You can get excellent bass on the Explore though the Elite should be fine since they are closed and have big drivers.

I think the people saying the Pulse Explore don't have much bass don't have the right fit.

I grabbed ear tips from different earbuds I had and get a lot of bass. I didn't like the ear tips that come with the Explore.

amigastar

I've never heard the Playstation headphones but if people want a really special headphone try out the Hifiman HE400SE.
I've bought one for my dad for 130 bucks and i like it seriously better than my HE-500 which cost me 500 bucks years ago.
Fantastic audiophile headphone for sure.

I just went ahead and pre ordered the pulse elites

I think I will prefer that for couch gaming over the earbuds both in terms of comfort and quality

FrankWza

I've never heard the Playstation headphones but if people want a really special headphone try out the Hifiman HE400SE.
I've bought one for my dad for 130 bucks and i like it seriously better than my HE-500 which cost me 500 bucks years ago.
Fantastic audiophile headphone for sure.
They are wired and need to be amped as well. These are some of the first wireless planars headsets and they both work natively with Portal. If you have PS5 - PSVR2 - Portal these are a no-brainer

FrankWza

I think the people saying the Pulse Explore don't have much bass don't have the right fit.

I grabbed ear tips from different earbuds I had and get a lot of bass. I didn't like the ear tips that come with the Explore.
100% Foams will give you plenty of bass and isolation. I prefer to let the tips provide vs subpar and cheap anc. And the mic is fantastic on them too

Last edited:
100% Foams will give you plenty of bass and isolation. I prefer to let the tips provide vs subpar and cheap anc. And the mic is fantastic on them too
Yea my issue is that I'm getting a lot of disconnects while using them with PSVR2. But I was going to try a usb extention cable to move it away some, and I also heard you should have them pointed down instead of forward?
I hear the disconnects go away if you point them down. I haven't had the time to try it yet. Every pic I see, has them pointed forward.

FrankWza

Yea my issue is that I'm getting a lot of disconnects while using them with PSVR2. But I was going to try a usb extention cable to move it away some, and I also heard you should have them pointed down instead of forward?
I hear the disconnects go away if you point them down. I haven't had the time to try it yet. Every pic I see, has them pointed forward.
There's a qc issue. Try another pair. The only issue I've had is switching back from the PS5 to Portal if I don't disconnect properly the Explores won't connect unless I restart the Portal. But there's definitely an issue with some that disconnect and or don't go as loud as others.

Top Bottom