• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Since launching PS5, we’ve been amazed to see how players around the world have embraced the generational leaps we made in the gaming experience, such as the heightened feeling of immersion delivered by the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers in the DualSense wireless controller. Our PlayStation community continues to give us a reason to challenge ourselves to bring new innovations to the market for all players to enjoy. That’s why today, we are especially pleased to share new updates about our upcoming hardware products.

In May, we gave a quick peek at our dedicated PS5 remote play device – now called PlayStation Portal remote player, and our first wireless earbuds, called Pulse Explore. Today we’re pleased to share more details about these products and reveal a new PlayStation over-the-ear wireless headset, Pulse Elite. Both Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore deliver low latency lossless audio from PS5 and PlayStation Portal using our new PlayStation Link wireless technology.

Here are the details.

PlayStation Portal remote player​

PlayStation Portal remote player brings the PS5 experience to the palm of your hand. It includes the key features of the DualSense wireless controller, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback*. The vibrant 8-inch LCD screen is capable of 1080p resolution at 60fps, providing a high definition visual experience that’s expected from the high quality games created by world-class developers.

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi**, so you’ll be able to swiftly jump from playing on your PS5 to your PlayStation Portal. PlayStation Portal can play supported games that are installed on your PS5 console and use the Dualsense controller. It also includes a 3.5mm audio jack for wired audio. PS VR2 games, which require the headset, and games that are streamed through PlayStation Plus Premium’s cloud streaming, are not supported.***

PlayStation Portal remote player will launch later this year for 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN. We’ll have more details soon on when pre-orders begin for PlayStation Portal.

5e8509d3e2d54b4004ca28d9bc004387ce0d8061.jpg

a78c95f3054374fa25b193910aea85992b5258d8-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
5e8509d3e2d54b4004ca28d9bc004387ce0d8061.jpg

Here are the details.

a78c95f3054374fa25b193910aea85992b5258d8-scaled.jpg

PlayStation Portal remote player​

PlayStation Portal remote player brings the PS5 experience to the palm of your hand. It includes the key features of the DualSense wireless controller, including adaptive triggers and haptic feedback*. The vibrant 8-inch LCD screen is capable of 1080p resolution at 60fps, providing a high definition visual experience that’s expected from the high quality games created by world-class developers.

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi**, so you’ll be able to swiftly jump from playing on your PS5 to your PlayStation Portal. PlayStation Portal can play supported games that are installed on your PS5 console and use the Dualsense controller. It also includes a 3.5mm audio jack for wired audio. PS VR2 games, which require the headset, and games that are streamed through PlayStation Plus Premium’s cloud streaming, are not supported.***

ce6b14502d029b2369f5160f68f3df29dcc6d1e6-scaled.jpg

PlayStation Portal remote player will launch later this year for 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN. We’ll have more details soon on when pre-orders begin for PlayStation Portal.

Last edited:

SammyNerve

Neo Member
Is this something I could take on my travels and use anywhere away from home with wifi?

Could I use this to play co-op games alongside my PS5 at home?

So it is only streams but does not support Sony's streaming service. That sounds super clever.

I would have thought about if it would be a "proper" streaming device, and maybe have native PSP/Vita support. But streaming from my PS5 only? not even PS4 also. Is there a single advantage against any smartphone of the last 5 years, most people already have, that just needs to be paired with a PS5 controller, so max 70 bucks investment if not using your regular controller?

Last edited:

SammyNerve

Neo Member
Is this something I could take on my travels and use anywhere away from home with wifi?

DosGamer

I was thinking the same thing. Is this only like a WiiU? Where you can use it as a other room alternative to gaming where the console actually is.. but I bet its limited to the house.

I still don't really see who the market is for this. Think Sony did ok with the price though. Was expecting 250 which I feel for sure would have been DoA. Still don't think it sells well but maybe finds a small niche

Zheph

The last question I know a lot of people are wondering is, who exactly is this device for? It's $200 for a remote-access window into your PS5. At that price, honestly, I kinda get it. The Portal is unlikely to be someone's primary way to play PS5 games – that's what your TV is for. But for times when someone else wants to use the TV, or maybe you have small kids in the home and don't want to put God of War on the big screen, and maybe you just want to be able to play in a different room without buying another full-on TV. In that scenario, the Portal offers a compelling use case. And while it's not quite as portable for on-the-go gaming as a Switch or Steam Deck, it's less expensive and it does let you keep playing your PS5 while out of the house, so long as your destination has decent internet connectivity. You just probably shouldn't count on hotel Wi-Fi being strong enough to handle the connection.

from IGN : https://www.ign.com/articles/playst...s-new-remote-play-handheld?utm_source=twitter

Last edited:

Miles708

So it is only streams but does not support Sony's streaming service. That sounds super clever.

I would have thought about if it would be a "proper" streaming device, and maybe have native PSP/Vita support. But streaming from my PS5 only? not even PS4 also. Is there a single advantage against any smartphone of the last 5 years, most people already have, that just needs to be paired with a PS5 controller, so max 70 bucks investment if not using your regular controller?

This is Sony branded, you just don't understand.
200 is a steal!

Drew1440

I’m surprised you can’t cloud stream with this device. Seems like it would be a trivial thing to support. Regardless it’s not for me.
Too much latency, since it would have to go through the console before it goes though to the PSnow server. Thats why Stadia's controller had wifi built in, to reduce input latency.

Mr Moose

I have a Vita that does this.
Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore will be the first PlayStation audio devices to use custom-designed planar magnetic drivers for an audiophile-level listening experience normally found in premium headphones for professional sound engineers. With Pulse Explore, we’re pleased to be one of the first companies to provide wireless earbuds to the mass consumer market using planar magnetic driver technology.
Might be interested in these though...

Draugoth

Gold Member
Blogposts:

Videos

Key Notes from Previews:

• Portal has a 3.5mm headphone jack as well as a small set of speakers that are passable but nothing special.There is no Bluetooth available, so you won’t be able to connect to wireless headphones that way – not even PlayStation’s own Pulse 3D headset.
  • Portal doesn’t run anything locally, not even basic apps. So if your Wi-Fi goes down or if someone else wants to use your PS5, it’s not going to work
  • The device has a 60Hz, 8-inch LCD display. PlayStation says this size is the sweet spot for long gaming sessions, keeps text legible and won't leave the player feeling like they're downgrading.
  • The Portal is light, probably somewhere between a Switch and a Steam Deck.
  • Games like Astro's Playroom and Returnal plays like playing directly on the PS5 console.
  • No lag experienced when playing games (by previewers)
  • No definitive battery life was given but the company is targeting something similar to the DualSense controller's,

Last edited:

odhiex

**Requires broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended

Hmm...so basically the same function as the Remote Play App. Interesting

The price is better than I thought it would be.

But I really can't see myself using this. If it was running off android and can handle emulation I would be buying this.

Well at least Sony still has the PS5.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Well I’ve just completed Far Cry via PS5 Remote Play on my PC and it was one of the most horrendous experiences I’ve ever had. Laggy controls (30fps game though) and tons of macroblocking. Worse than PS Now streaming! And that was with both devices wired to the LAN.

Top Bottom