• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation PULSE Explore & PULSE Elite Announced

There's a qc issue. Try another pair. The only issue I've had is switching back from the PS5 to Portal if I don't disconnect properly the Explores won't connect unless I restart the Portal. But there's definitely an issue with some that disconnect and or don't go as loud as others.

How good is the planar magnetic sound? Is it a game changer?

FrankWza

How good is the planar magnetic sound? Is it a game changer?
Yes absolutely. I made the switch back when PS5 launched. I had the Penrose and they sounded great but they had some qc issues and were way too tight. I ended up putting together my own setup with the 5xx and I've been using it since. They are great for gaming. The Explore are really good, especially for the convenience and comfort

Yes absolutely. I made the switch back when PS5 launched. I had the Penrose and they sounded great but they had some qc issues and were way too tight. I ended up putting together my own setup with the 5xx and I've been using it since. They are great for gaming. The Explore are really good, especially for the convenience and comfort

What's the biggest difference?

Does the sound have more depth and richness?

FrankWza

What's the biggest difference?

Does the sound have more depth and richness?
Pretty much. They are clearer and more detailed. The bass is less muddy and soundstage is bigger. They give you that speaker set up clarity and separation.
If you're used to overpowering bass it may take some getting used to because they aren't going to be in your face all the time. It's more accurate to the soundtrack so the bass will be represented as intentioned.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pretty much. They are clearer and more detailed. The bass is less muddy and soundstage is bigger. They give you that speaker set up clarity and separation.
If you're used to overpowering bass it may take some getting used to because they aren't going to be in your face all the time. It's more accurate to the soundtrack so the bass will be represented as intentioned.

Good deal!

njean777

I prefer ear buds like the explore but I am not paying 200$ for them. Make a 100$ pair and I am there. I like to only have one bud in at a time, and don’t need all the fancy stuff other than the fast response time with being wireless. I have the steel series arctic nova 7’s and half the time have one ear uncovered. Would rather have earbuds but not for 200$.

Also have a pair of AirPod pros and half the time only have one bud in at a time, except certain times.

Yes I’m weird I know lol

Eiknarf

Banned
is it just me, or shouldn't the "elite" model be the more expensive model? unless I'm just misunderstanding things ._.
I asked that and was told that the manufacturing is more expensive on Explore earbuds because the precision is a lot higher due to how small they are. That the driver size and needs for each having to power the planars in that small of a package costs more for earbuds than the larger Elite headphones...etc Wireless planars are not that readily available, especially with this feature set. It's easier to make over-ears headphones.

That said, I’m guessing the Elite headphones will definitely sound better being they are over-ear. So it’s a plus that they’ll be less expensive

Elios83

The recent equalizer update has fixed for me one of the negative points at launch, that is that the peak volume was not high enough especially if you wanted to listen to music.
Now you can create an audio profile, increase all frequencies at +4dB and the sound is much louder, also the profile seems to stick also when you use the earbuds with a smartphone.

Eiknarf

Banned
Will there be early reviews for the Elite Headphones prior to February 21?

I never bought headphones at launch

But if the Pulse Explore Earbuds are good, does it stand to reason that the Pulse Elite Headphones will be as good or better?

FrankWza

The Pulse Elite have a wireless charging dock/stand like the DualSense official Sony charger. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
is it just me, or shouldn't the "elite" model be the more expensive model? unless I'm just misunderstanding things ._.
I also was told the second reason the Explore Earbuds are more expensive than the Elite Cans is that they come with 3 batteries (the case & two earbuds), 3 chips (the case & two earbuds) 3 mother boards (the case & two earbuds) which also results in 3X the manufacturing difficulty/cost

I'm just curious what the planars in the little earbuds are... and will planars be in the Elite headphones?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Interested as well for any review
They should be up soon if going by Portal/Explore review time frame.
The Explores got an update really fast that made them much more versatile, added sidetone and I think eliminated the random disconnects some people were having. I thought it was an issue they wouldn't be able to fix via firmware but update but that bodes well for both headsets future support. Other than possible build quality issues similar to Pulse3d, they will most likely be a steal at $150.

Eiknarf

Banned
The Explores got an update really fast that made them much more versatile, added sidetone and I think eliminated the random disconnects some people were having. I thought it was an issue they wouldn't be able to fix via firmware but update but that bodes well for both headsets future support. Other than possible build quality issues similar to Pulse3d, they will most likely be a steal at $150.
How do they update? Simply when paired with the PS5?

Flabagast

The single criteria for me will be sound quality.

I already have a PS4 Platinum headset (which sound quite good imho, although maybe lacking a bit in clarity and bass depth) so I will change only if there is significant improvement

Borowski_1

I already have a PS4 Platinum headset (which sound quite good imho, although maybe lacking a bit in clarity and bass depth) so I will change only if there is significant improvement
If you really care about sound quality, you won't buy any of this

Get a "real" audiophile headphone, which will be way better than any mainstream headset

Flabagast

If you really care about sound quality, you won't buy any of this

Get a "real" audiophile headphone, which will be way better than any mainstream headset
Dont want to spend more than 300$, cant have open back headphones (other people are in the room), and main use should be gaming, so options are limited.

But if you have recommandations I'd be happy to hear !

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I asked that and was told that the manufacturing is more expensive on Explore earbuds because the precision is a lot higher due to how small they are. That the driver size and needs for each having to power the planars in that small of a package costs more for earbuds than the larger Elite headphones...etc Wireless planars are not that readily available, especially with this feature set. It's easier to make over-ears headphones.

That said, I’m guessing the Elite headphones will definitely sound better being they are over-ear. So it’s a plus that they’ll be less expensive

Are they 100% over ear and not on ear? The comfort difference is night and day for long play sessions, I'm planning to upgrade but might nab them at launch for this reason alone.

Borowski_1

Dont want to spend more than 300$, cant have open back headphones (other people are in the room), and main use should be gaming, so options are limited.

But if you have recommandations I'd be happy to hear !
Happy to help

Alright then

Since your options are very restricted, i recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X

These will sound a lot better than any Sony, Arctics, Razr, etc etc. Beyers are also always very well built. If you take good care of them, they will last many years

From my experience, comfort will be a lot better too, with deeper velour pads that let your ears breathe. Lastly, they're easy to drive, which means you can just plug them to your controller, Switch, PC, etc

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I've had some really bad luck with Sonys headphone line. I got the first generation pulse and they fell apart. I then got the H7 wireless headphones and the volume scroll wheel stopped registering, there is no way to change the volume on the ps5 so they are totally worthless.

Just an FYI for anyone looks at those products.

FrankWza

How do they update? Simply when paired with the PS5?
In the settings. Like the DualSense

The platinum were nice. The Explore sound great, No doubt the Elite will too. If not, get the Maxwell. In your price range and they're closed.
Are they 100% over ear and not on ear?
They are over

Planar, sidetone, wireless, charging stand, AI mic and simultaneous device connection is a ridiculous deal for $150. Beginning with these 2 releases Sony is narrowing the gap considerably. They may not last forever and the ear pads will wear out. But it's impossible to find wireless sets with these features anywhere near this price.

Borowski_1

In the settings. Like the DualSense

The platinum were nice. The Explore sound great, No doubt the Elite will too. If not, get the Maxwell. In your price range and they're closed.

They are over

Planar, sidetone, wireless, charging stand, AI mic and simultaneous device connection is a ridiculous deal for $150. Beginning with these 2 releases Sony is narrowing the gap considerably. They may not last forever and the ear pads will wear out. But it's impossible to find wireless sets with these features anywhere near this price.
If you need it to be wireless, the mic, etc, i guess

You could get the Audeze Maxwell, but those are 300 or 350

I’ve decided to pre-order.

I bought the pulse headset with my PS5 on launch and they have served me fairly well.

Sound has been fine, but their durability has been less than stellar. The ear cups sealant melted away and the inner foam now pops out on both ears. If I had paid more money, I think I would be more annoyed. It feels about the right time for a replacement.

R6Rider

Gold Member

I bought the pulse headset with my PS5 on launch and they have served me fairly well.

Sound has been fine, but their durability has been less than stellar. The ear cups sealant melted away and the inner foam now pops out on both ears. If I had paid more money, I think I would be more annoyed. It feels about the right time for a replacement.
You can buy replacement ear pads for cheap.

Eiknarf

Banned

I was gonna pre-order, but instead I’ll run to Best Buy or right next door to GameStop on the 21st. They’ll be in stock at 10am when they open.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

One of the cups on my Pulse 3d did the same and i got a replacement foam ear piece online on amazon that was compatible with the Pulse headset for super cheap.....like $17 shipped. The old one just pops off and you pop the new one on and you cant even tell the difference from the stock ones.

I think it was these...

https://www.amazon.com/GVOEARS-Cush...07343492&sprefix=pulse+3d,aps,121&sr=8-8&th=1

Last edited:

NewYork214

I can't find a good comparison. What would you guys recommend? Inzone h9 on sale or pulse elite preorder since its so close to release.

Assuming the H9 have to be insane for twice the price. But I don't know much about headphones.

Main considerations for me:
• Fit nicely over vr2.
• And mainly use full surround sound so not sure extra cost is worth it for h9s unless quality based on info will be much better.

Edit: H9s are like 250 instead of 300 currently.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I can't find a good comparison. What would you guys recommend? Inzone h9 on sale or pulse elite preorder since its so close to release.

Assuming the H9 have to be insane for twice the price. But I don't know much about headphones.

Main considerations for me:
• Fit nicely over vr2.
• And mainly use full surround sound so not sure extra cost is worth it for h9s unless quality based on info will be much better.

Edit: H9s are like 250 instead of 300 currently.
Go Planar and buy the Elite and Explore. Perfect for VR2 and if you have or will get a Portal. Use the Elite for the rest. $350 vs $250.worth the extra $100

Last edited:

NewYork214

Go Planar and buy the Elite and Explore. Perfect for VR2 and if you have or will get a Portal. Use the Elite for the rest. $350 vs $250.worth the extra $100
I do have a portal. Didn't consider that. Thank you.

Don't really have interest in the explores because don't want wireless buds just for psvr2. Already have newer galaxy buds. Usually do party chat through PS app with them. Lol. Pretty sure not able to pair them to ps5 direct. Been a while tho.

Top Bottom