• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation PULSE Explore & PULSE Elite Announced

Draugoth

Gold Member

• PlayStation Portal remote player
  • PlayStation Pulse Explore wireless earbuds
  • PlayStation Pulse Elite wireless headset

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore are part of our ongoing efforts to amplify the audio experience in gaming and make the gameplay experience more immersive through enhanced sound. Pulse Elite will be available for 149.99 USD | 149.99 EURO | 129.99 GBP | 18,980 YEN and Pulse Explore will be available for 199.99 USD | 219.99 EURO | 199.99 GBP | 29,980 YEN. We’ll have more details to share soon, including when pre-orders begin and launch dates.

Last edited:

Fake

Don't looks like elite to me, more like a redesign of the pulse 3D.

Maybe the tech behind the audio will be different?

edit:

- Pulse Elite is our new wireless headset that offers lossless audio and comes with a retractable boom mic and AI-enhanced noise rejection capable of filtering background sounds. A charging hanger is also included with the product for a convenient charging and storage option.
- Pulse Explore is our first set of wireless earbuds, providing a premium portable audio experience with dual microphones and AI-enhanced noise rejection capable of filtering background sounds. It also offers lossless audio and comes with a charging case.

Looks like use AI for noise rejection.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I see they exist and that's cool, but why should I want these?

I have a friend who uses the the current Sony ps5 wireless headset and while it sounds nice most of the time, the proformance tanks when the battery is low. (lots of audio skip on the mic).

Wired headphones maybe not as convenient as Wireless, but at least they're performance is consistent.

Pelta88

The GOAT pulse.

236216-PA070058.jpg

Zheph

I see they exist and that's cool, but why should I want these?

I have a friend who uses the the current Sony ps5 wireless headset and while it sounds nice most of the time, the proformance tanks when the battery is low. (lots of audio skip on the mic).

Wired headphones maybe not as convenient as Wireless, but at least they're performance is consistent.
can just charge it? I have a Nova 7P and its much better than my previous wired headset with a strong battery

Edmund

I wonder why they are releasing the Pulse Elite when they already have the Inzone H3, H7 and H9. Aren't they the same shit?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Are their headphones good?

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm happy with using my Sony INZONE H9's for the PS5. I did have an earlier version of the Pulse headset, and it was decent.

Pedro Motta

No one mentioning these are both planar magnetic headsets?

Closest rival is the Audeze Maxwell or Penrose which cost £350

And what’s more the buds are too that’s a first in earbuds both of theses are HUGE upgrades.

The price is incredible too.

Day 1
Being Planar Magnetic is awesome and a big jump in quality from Dynamics, but as long as they are locking this to only use on PS5 it's a no go for me. Make them work on Xbox and PC as well and I might consider.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
At their price points, yes. That’s true for most Sony-branded headsets, they’re an excellent mid-range choice. But once you exceed the $250 price point and are squarely in the premium sector, you want features over everything else. It’s at that point you’re better off with other options.
This is not my experience at All and I own the best headsets on the planet.

Just got to see some reviews and seems mostly everyone agrees with me, SONY headsets are the best on the planet.

Apple is the only company i would say that might have better options.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I swear to god that first PS5 headset has the worst form factor I have ever experienced and this new one doesn't look any better.

It's just a stiff slab of plastic. There's basically zero adjustment options, it's uncomfortable, it doesn't completely close off around the ears (because of the lack of adjustment) and the audio quality really isn't any better than any other solid headset. A complete waste of money.

Which is insane to me because the non-Playstation Sony brand wireless headphones are top of the line stuff. Great quality, fitting and audio.

spons

Gold Member
Pulse Elite - 50% upcharge over Pulse 3D for a retractable mic and audio codecs.

Pulse Explore - $200 for a worse version of the Airpods Pro.

Portal - $200 for a dualsense backbone duct taped to a shitty tablet screen.

What the hell is going on over at Sony? They've completely lost it.
They'll hire a few influencers to shitpost about being immeasurably thankful that Sony has graced them with these products and they'll proceed to sell gangbusters.

YOU NEED THIS YOU WANT THIS BUY BUY BUY

Who cares about technicalities like audio quality anyway.

It's just a stiff slab of plastic. There's basically zero adjustment options, it's uncomfortable, it doesn't completely close off around the ears (because of the lack of adjustment) and the audio quality really isn't any better than any other solid headset. A complete waste of money.

It was a good headset for the $$$

But it wasn’t premium build quality

Mr Hyde

Wait, does the earbuds only work on PS5? They don't work on PC or Switch? If that's the case, then fuck that shit. Not wasting 220 euro if I can't use them outside PS5, might as well go with AirPods even though I hate Apple.

King Dazzar

I've just read this which may be of interest:

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can connect directly with PlayStation Portal by leveraging the new wireless audio technology, PlayStation Link. Link delivers low latency, lossless audio and easy switching between multiple hosts such as PS5 with the USB adapter and PlayStation Portal.

The PlayStation Link USB adapter will also be sold separately as a standalone item, and can be used on PC and Mac. Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can simultaneously connect to a Link-supported device (PS5, PC, Mac, or PlayStation Portal) or a Bluetooth-supported device.

For instance, Pulse Explore can be connected to PS5 (via the USB adapter) using PlayStation Link and also to a mobile phone through Bluetooth at the same time. While playing on PS5, gamers can instantly answer a call on their mobile, and talk on their phones while hearing game audio.

Ronin_7

Banned
I've just read this which may be of interest:

Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can connect directly with PlayStation Portal by leveraging the new wireless audio technology, PlayStation Link. Link delivers low latency, lossless audio and easy switching between multiple hosts such as PS5 with the USB adapter and PlayStation Portal.

The PlayStation Link USB adapter will also be sold separately as a standalone item, and can be used on PC and Mac. Pulse Elite and Pulse Explore can simultaneously connect to a Link-supported device (PS5, PC, Mac, or PlayStation Portal) or a Bluetooth-supported device.

For instance, Pulse Explore can be connected to PS5 (via the USB adapter) using PlayStation Link and also to a mobile phone through Bluetooth at the same time. While playing on PS5, gamers can instantly answer a call on their mobile, and talk on their phones while hearing game audio.

Will my Pulse Elite include the USB to connect on PlayStation 5 and be able to connect to the handheld?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I use my now old sony Wh1000XM4 although I do own the original pulse, for its price it wasent bad, although depending on the quality of the mic I might switch out my XM4's for it as the gaming headset. Although I might just save the cash and buy the inevitable XM6's when they release. The 3D sound (and any sound) is night and day on the XM4 compared to the classic pulse.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
new pulse looks sweet. I am probably getting it.
Right now I am switching dongle between ps5 and pc. So let's hope there is still a dongle in the new one.

Aenima

Start including a headset with the console, they want you to spend thousands of dollars on accessories.
Ofc they want. They sell consoles at a loss, or breaking even. The money comes from games, online sevices and acessories. Be glad they allow you to use any kind of shitty headset, or headphones and dont require just lincenced stuff to work.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still have the PS4 golds, the leather is starting to peal and used them about twice.
That's the original problem with those headsets.
The Earbuds are a better option long term, I still got my Sony's from the early 2000's and they still shit on everything release these days for the price I paid

No one mentioning these are both planar magnetic headsets?

Closest rival is the Audeze Maxwell or Penrose which cost £350

And what’s more the buds are too that’s a first in earbuds both of theses are HUGE upgrades.

The price is incredible too.

Day 1
Yeah a lot of people are unfamiliar with Planar magnetic drivers I have the Penrose (bad build quality) and it's the best sounding gaming headset I've heard but they're 100mm drivers we'll have to see what size these customized drivers are I'm hoping they're at least 60mm but either way they'll sound cleaner with a wider soundstage than dynamic drivers so I'm intrigued to see Sony's implementation.

Top Bottom